What's your next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
We all want to be good writers but how are you planning on accomplishing this? What do you need to do to improve in your writing and how are you going to do it?

I need to:
1 Write longer stories-by-Increasing the complexity of my plot and characters and the detail of my descriptions.
2 Write stories with clear themes-by- Creating a much fuller outline beforehand so the themes become clear before I start.
3 Write realistic romances-by- I dunno, I think I need to figure this out in real life before I write about it.
4 Write better action scenes-by- I think this is my strong suit but I would like to study actions scenes in published novels and learn from the pros.
5 Write great climaxes-by- Practice, practice, practice.

There's probably a lot more but I'm starting to get depressed.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I need to:

1) Actually finish a book.
2) Write in tension. I don't think I'm any good at that.
3) Get motivated to keep plodding along.
4) Write my first blog post. I've had the blog for months and a draft saved for weeks. Come on, me, you can do thissssss.

I see what you mean about starting to get depressed.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I need to:

1: Get my Author's blog started. Now that my second book is finished and going through the first proofread, I feel that October is the appropriate time to start this.
2: Get in touch with the artist who did my first cover and get her input and a possible quote for the second book.
3: Make more progress on the third book.
4: Help other authors as much as possible.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What's a good writer? I sold the first several short stories I wrote to national magazines. I also sold the first draft of the first novel I wrote, and on it's first trip out. Does this automatically mean I was a good writer? Maybe, and maybe not.

But I will say I've always gone against your number two goal. The last thing I ever wanted to do was write stories that had a clear theme. I never, ever try to write to a theme. Such stories always seem preachy, to me. Every story comes with a built-in theme. I think doing as King does usually works best. Just write the story, and then find and tighten the theme in the second draft.

Honestly, I don't know of any way to become a good writer other than the old adage, "Read everything, write much, and hope you have the talent to make use of all the reading and writing you do."

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I need to concentrate on description more. I'm all about dialogue, tension and characters. I want to learn to create an atmosphere that fits everything I have going on in the book.

Also... Heh... I need to learn to give it my all in every scene. There are moments when I'm writing "lighter". It makes the scene less engaging. This happens about 10 % of the time, but it means I usually have to fix the part entirely. I haven't yet figured out why this sometimes happens, but it forces me to rewrite more than I'd have to if I could give my all every time. I'm working on this problem, though.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
What's a good writer? I sold the first several short stories I wrote to national magazines. I also sold the first draft of the first novel I wrote, and on it's first trip out. Does this automatically mean I was a good writer? Maybe, and maybe not.

But I will say I've always gone against your number two goal. The last thing I ever wanted to do was write stories that had a clear theme. I never, ever try to write to a theme. Such stories always seem preachy, to me. Every story comes with a built-in theme. I think doing as King does usually works best. Just write the story, and then find and tighten the theme in the second draft.

Honestly, I don't know of any way to become a good writer other than the old adage, "Read everything, write much, and hope you have the talent to make use of all the reading and writing you do."

I'd say that's a pretty good indication that you're a good writer. Either that or you're some kind of wizard.

I don't disagree about the theme thing but I think that stories are a powerful way to influence people and I want to be aware of the messages I'm sending. For instance, I think it's good for people to realize that they don't need to follow the path that others set for them, but the message "Do what makes you happy" can be incredibly self centred and destructive when you apply it to relationships, which many people do.

At the same time I know that not everyone will get the message no matter how clear it is. I know a kid who basically ran away from his family after watching the movie Into The Wild and getting the exact opposite message that the movie was trying to send.

As far as improving my writing goes I learned a valuable lesson from playing guitar. I've been playing for about 10 years now and I don't mind saying that I'm pretty talented but I haven't been intentional at improving my skills. As a result I am not much better than I was 5 years ago. I know people who have been playing for only 3 years who are much better than me because they have put in the effort to improve constantly. I don't want my writing to be the same. I want to enjoy myself when I'm writing but I also want each of my projects to add to my skills and in order to do that I have to choose them carefully and not allow myself to make the same mistakes over and over. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

shy_mom

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but being on AW is my next step. Forcing myself to interact with other writers, critiquing for others, hopefully getting critiqued in return.
Even two months ago I couldn't imagine doing this and now here I am and I think it will make me a better writer.
Just being here absorbing the knowledge would make me better, but critiquing and reading others' works the critiques of those works have already helped me immeasurably.
Other than that, I don't have big clear goals beyond getting a workable query into existence and sending it on out into the world.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
1. Write a good book by whatever means possible.
2. Finish it.
3. Write another...

I'm a simple puppy.

I've never had some big scheme or plans or achievements I wanted to get to. I want to write a good story, and whatever challenges and obstacles I meet on the way should be surpassed. Perhaps publishing and maybe writing a blog on writing is in my future, but not a priority at the moment.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
1. Stop procrastinating my novel by working on other writing projects.

2. Move forward instead of repeatedly asking for crits and revising the opening.

3. Keep it interesting through the low-action scenes.

4. Find my genre.

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
...I think doing as King does usually works best. Just write the story, and then find and tighten the theme in the second draft.
..."

I think both planned and unplanned themes and character voices and traits can be included. Some are 'pre-fabricated', while the others grow naturally through the act of writing. Then during editing it's a question of the 'finding and tightening' of the unforeseen themes, voices, and traits, and of managing elements so that the spontaneous ones don't clash with the planned ones. Sometimes the pre-fabricated stuff needs to be trimmed anyway, because the actual book often enough goes into its own directions.

Last edited:

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but being on AW is my next step. Forcing myself to interact with other writers, critiquing for others, hopefully getting critiqued in return.

I'm doing the same. Forcing myself to set goals and posting them in a public place is a good way to motivate myself to stick to it!

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I think both planned and unplanned themes and character voices and traits can be included. Some are 'pre-fabricated', while the others grow naturally through the act of writing. Then during editing it's a question of the 'finding and tightening' of the unforeseen themes, voices, and traits, and of managing elements so that the spontaneous ones don't clash with the planned ones. Sometimes the pre-fabricated stuff needs to be trimmed anyway, because the actual book often enough goes into its own directions.

Well said:)

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
But I will say I've always gone against your number two goal.

You might need some Metamucil.

On the subject of themes, I find I need to be careful. The main antagonists of my first two books were women, so the third one had better be a man, or people are going to think I'm a misogynist. Although, there was a man trying to kill my MC, so I think that's a fair balance, but you never know what conclusions people will jump to.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
We all want to be good writers but how are you planning on accomplishing this? What do you need to do to improve in your writing and how are you going to do it?

I have to say that this summarizes my approach:

Honestly, I don't know of any way to become a good writer other than the old adage, "Read everything, write much..."

I am not far enough along yet as a writer to have identified specific problem areas that I should to focus on. So at this time my specific goals are general: Finish the works in progress (two short stories and one novel); write & read daily.

El Rustito

Spoony Bard
Registered
Reaction score
1) Finish the damn book.
2) Edit this one this time.
3) Actually figure out the business aspect and what to do. Getting an agent, beta readers, publishing, etcetera.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
1)Finish the book I just started.
2)Come up with some new characters and settings. I've written five novels and am working on a sixth and 3 are in one universe with one set of characters and 2 and the WIP are on another, and the main characters and their historical backgrounds came to life in my head in 1986.
3)Expand my oeuvre into other genres. So far, everything I've written has been science fiction. I'd like to try my hand at some fantasy and perhaps some historical fiction or even an action thriller.

Status
Not open for further replies.