What do you guys think about short stories that take place over the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
i know there is a really famous short story about a girl on the phone with her mother. The girl calls her mother from college and says she's been raped, but as they talk the real story comes out. I can't remember who wrote it or the title, but it was done very well. Does anyone know the story I'm talking about?

So, now I have written a story about a phone conversation. I've been careful not to let it become all dialog. I think I pulled that part off. But what other things should a writer worry about in a short story that takes place over the phone?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If they're ell done, I love them? But what's wrong with having such a story be all dialogue. This is how all the ones I've really enjoyed were written.

GreyBird

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps making the tone of the conversation very clear. A story that is full dialogue, to me, displaces the reader and allows you to do interesting things with time and what's going on in the background.

CryingKatie

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a phone call story about a teenager talking to her mom about being stalked by a killer. I think you shouldn't go overboard describing the surroundings, that gets boring. Just focus on the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.