US-Mexico Border Crossing in 2007?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Does anyone have this experience? Specifically at the San Ysidro crossing, if possible.

I want to verify whether a US citizen could still enter Mexico with just a California state ID - not a drivers license. She'd be walking.

Any recollection of the fees would be cool as well.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The real question isn't the drivers license; of course they let people without them go through: kids, elderly, etc. The real question is whether they let them through without a passport; I'm pretty sure by that time you'd need a passport to get back into the US of A, even if the other country didn't require one. You could look for the customs requirements online.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal, who last went through the San Ysidro crossing back in the last millennium

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I walked through that crossing in 2010, so apologies if my info isn't what you're after. But you basically walk through a turnstile into Mexico, with no one asking you anything. Coming back into the US you had to have your passport (I don't have American ID, because I'm Australian, so i used my passport), and the customs people kind of grilled me. Which was tricky because I was super drunk. Good times.

Arisuzawa

Registered
Reaction score
I would say yes, if she had a valid government issued ID.
I lived in San Diego around 2006/7 and I only had an Indiana gov ID (no driver's license) at the time. My friends and I would take a bus down (sometimes a friend drove, but we never took the car over the border) and walk through. Coming back, it was pretty easy. They asked a few questions, we waited in long lines, but nothing difficult.
I'm a female US citizen, white, of European descent, if that makes any difference. I was in my mid-twenties.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crossing into Mexico didn't require anything. Crossing back to the US required proof of residency and identity and legal ability to cross into the US. Any government issued ID card worked then. If you were not a US Citizen you had to have a passport with a valid visa, green card, etc.

Or you simply crossed with the other illegals, no documentation required.

Jeff

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or you simply crossed with the other illegals, no documentation required.

Jeff

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

But if you're doing that, you typically don't use the San Ysidro crossing...unless you're hiding in a truck full of something else.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal