Writing for money

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Context: for my day job I work in communications, writing media releases, articles, website copy etc.

So over the past few weeks, a mate of mine who works in marketing (but has been given the duty of writing media releases) has been asking me for help/advice. Offhand, I said "I should set up an ABN (Australian Business Number) and just write them for you". To my surprise, he immediately agreed. Apparently PR firms don't like just writing media releases. They want to do the whole campaign. *shrug*!

Then my other friend (who is a graphic designer) was bemoaning the fact that she doesn't have a copywriter to recommend to her clients. So, because I do this stuff for my work anyway, I realised I could set up a side business and do some freelance copywriting.

The problem is I have no idea about how pricing. It kind of makes sense that media releases would be a flat fee, whereas website copy would be by the word. Does anyone have any experience or advice for this sort of thing?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Context: for my day job I work in communications, writing media releases, articles, website copy etc.

So over the past few weeks, a mate of mine who works in marketing (but has been given the duty of writing media releases) has been asking me for help/advice. Offhand, I said "I should set up an ABN (Australian Business Number) and just write them for you". To my surprise, he immediately agreed. Apparently PR firms don't like just writing media releases. They want to do the whole campaign. *shrug*!

Then my other friend (who is a graphic designer) was bemoaning the fact that she doesn't have a copywriter to recommend to her clients. So, because I do this stuff for my work anyway, I realised I could set up a side business and do some freelance copywriting.

The problem is I have no idea about how pricing. It kind of makes sense that media releases would be a flat fee, whereas website copy would be by the word. Does anyone have any experience or advice for this sort of thing?

In my day *cough* you would negotiate a job-rate. I will look around and see if there's any info on how much the rate-per-job is. It used to depend almost entirely on length (you'd be surprised how much companies were prepared to pay in order not to write stuff themselves...)

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In my day *cough* you would negotiate a job-rate. I will look around and see if there's any info on how much the rate-per-job is. It used to depend almost entirely on length (you'd be surprised how much companies were prepared to pay in order not to write stuff themselves...)

Thanks! I'm asking around some people I know in Melbourne, but it'd be great to have a broad range of information. Do you have an ABN for this?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did have, but I was half of a teensy advertising/corpvid company. Used to be that you didn't need an ABN if your earnings were less than $6,000/a - but that will have changed. And you'll find that you might earn Considerably (capital C) More Than That. Really - people hate writing stuff. I used to have a producer who would send me a brief that included every line he wanted each actor to say (eg: 'And then Susan should say that she thinks the choice of tyre is a safety issue'. If I deviated, he'd take me out for lunch conferences until I wrote

Susan: But I think the choice of tyre is a safety issue.

He was a lovely guy and I kept trying to convince him that he didn't need an actual writer - but he had this writing phobia.

Funny industry, advertising...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My spies just sent me this link for you. Hope it helps. http://heypayup.tumblr.com/

It's not specific to your wants, but it gives you an idea of pricing. The main thing is - don't undersell yourself. No-one will thank you.

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that.

Yeah, it just seemed like a moment of clarity that I could earn a chunk of money fairly easily. It wouldn't be enough to live on, but as a booster to my salary it'd be pretty sweet.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I always charge by project, not by word, for copywriting. It's easier for me, and it's easier for clients. There are several rate sheets out there to give you an idea of the going rates for different types of projects - Writer's Market has a pretty comprehensive list (in U.S. dollars).

The way I calculate my rates is to take my hourly rate and multiply by the amount of time I estimate I'll need for the project, then pad a little for things that may come up. Not sure how taxes work for freelancing on the side in Australia, but here in the U.S. I wouldn't work for less than $50 an hour (as a newbie copywriter) because taxes will eat a lot of that.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I always charge by project, not by word, for copywriting. It's easier for me, and it's easier for clients. There are several rate sheets out there to give you an idea of the going rates for different types of projects - Writer's Market has a pretty comprehensive list (in U.S. dollars).

The way I calculate my rates is to take my hourly rate and multiply by the amount of time I estimate I'll need for the project, then pad a little for things that may come up. Not sure how taxes work for freelancing on the side in Australia, but here in the U.S. I wouldn't work for less than $50 an hour (as a newbie copywriter) because taxes will eat a lot of that.

Very useful, thanks. I'm gonna set up a meeting with an accountant regarding taxes, etc.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Update - I now have an ABN and have registered a business name! Which technically means I am now running at a loss (although so far, only of $34).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Fees for exactly the same writing can vary by thousands of dollars, depending on who you're writing for. I've done exactly the same writing for a small company and for a large company, and received a few hundred from the small company, but several thousand from the large.

Writing is worth whatever a company can afford to pay, and whatever other writers at the same level receive. You need to know both these things, or you'll either cheat yourself out of a lot of money, or you'll price yourself so high you won't have any clients. You need to know whether charge by the project is standard, or whether charge by the word is the standard. Get it wrong, and you look like you don't know what you're doing.

The best way to learn these things is to talk to other writers who do the same work for the same people.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The best way to learn these things is to talk to other writers who do the same work for the same people.

Agreed. Fortunately I remembered that one of my old bosses in Melbourne does freelance writing on the side, so she was able to provide me with some sound advice.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Update: it's been a little slow with Christmas and holidays and other priorities, but I've got a website (www.lawsoncopywriting.com) and a meeting with someone from a government department next week to discuss writing their media materials. Hustle!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Update: it's been a little slow with Christmas and holidays and other priorities, but I've got a website (www.lawsoncopywriting.com) and a meeting with someone from a government department next week to discuss writing their media materials. Hustle!

You don't have any examples of your writing and where your work has appeared or who you've done work for. Without solid examples, you are kind of just hoping that people will take your word for it that you can write and do all these things you're offering.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yep, you need samples and a bibliography. Happy clients are always a draw. Otherwise, you are losing out to writing services that *can* show those things. Skeptical clients will probably make you take a writing test or three. I know my current company did, and I only write ad copy for them part-time.

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
All good points. I'm waiting for this government thing to come through (I know the person from a previous job, so she was happy meeting with me in person), and that will be the first official bit of writing to have up there. Unfortunately, its Government, so that takes a while. I've got another few things on the go.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use examples from previous PR roles, so I have to wait until these current ones come through.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Also, it's the same deal for the clients at this point. There is a space for clients to go, but until I've got enough impressive ones to populate it, I'm keeping it invisible.

I've done some pro bono work, and when these other things come through they'll be listed as well.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
You don't have any examples of your writing and where your work has appeared or who you've done work for. Without solid examples, you are kind of just hoping that people will take your word for it that you can write and do all these things you're offering.

Agreed.

I'd also change all of the plural language on your services page (we offer, we have experience, etc) to singular. Otherwise, it sounds like you're an agency. Some clients don't like to hire agencies, and you'll turn them off; others think they're getting an agency and won't be happy you're actually just one person.

And for copywriting, it's a good idea to match the tone of your site to the kind of tone your desired clients use. If the clients you're interested in writing for use a conversational tone, try to mirror that on your site. It reassures them that you get their style. On your About page, for example, I'd switch to first person, rather than third. It's got more of that conversational style, which is why a lot of businesses hire writers (because they're not good at hitting that tone themselves). I'd really only recommend third person if you're looking primarily for huge corporate, huge nonprofit, or government clients, because the third-person bio is more common in those circles.

Even just a clip or two will help you land a new client, whose clip you can add so you can land an even better client, etc. Try to get testimonials from the people you've written for, too - those are powerful social proof that a lot of copywriting clients look for. Even better if you can get a photo of the client to put with his/her testimonial. When I first started, I had a single clip with the corresponding testimonial and client photo, and that was enough to land a pretty decent case study gig. So you don't have to have a ton on your site when you start out -- but you should have something to show them.

One last thing - I'd add a photo of you on the About page. It helps reassure clients that you're a real person offering a real service. A professional headshot is ideal, but any good, professional-looking photo can work.

My site is highly branded and not exactly what most writers should do (I've been at this for awhile and have a solid niche to brand), but feel free to take a look and see how I've done the testimonials and About page.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it.

As an update, I've now done a few paying jobs, totally a couple hundred bucks of work. I've got a few more things in the pipeline.

I am frankly amazed that people pay for this stuff, so that's great (I'm not amazed because it's bad, I'm just amazed clients seem to value my skills and will pay $70-$80 an hour for it. Woo!)

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Annnnnnnd the GM at my work just hooked me up with the company's freelance designer to write his web copy. Booyeah!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That person is making their money spamming for a service that helps students cheat--probably not the best model for freelancing professionally.

handsomegenius

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm asking around some people I know in Melbourne, but it'd be great to have a broad range of information. Do you have an ABN for this?

I'm based in Melbourne. I charge $95 an hour for freelance copywriting. You'll find guys out there who charge less and others who charge more so YMMV.

I wouldn't get too carried away with comparing an hourly fee to an hourly wage you're on, working a job. They're really not comparable at all.

Last edited: