Can I Quote Him?

Vic20

The Friendly Computer
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

I write reviews for an online literary magazine. Recently a prominent writer/TV personality tweeted that a piece I'd written was "so brilliant!" I'd love to be able to quote his opinion in the query letter for my novel MS. But it seems more than a bit sleazy, since the piece in question was a rave review of his latest book.

Would an agent be put off if I used this quote? I should say that a lot of newspapers and magazines gave the book positive reviews, but mine was the only one he ever tweeted about. Still, I'm nervous. Is a quote like that worth anything in a query, anyway? Any thoughts, anyone?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just so I understand, you wrote a review of a guy's book, and the guy said your review was "so brilliant!"? Basically a review of your review?

I'm not an expert, but your gut is probably right; it's a bit sleazy. I wouldn't if it were me. Furthermore, the review from the celebrity wasn't about the book you are querying. You have no idea what he would have thought of your book itself. Seems a tenuous endorsement at best, a cheap gimmick is the more likely opinion of the agent.

Vic20

The Friendly Computer
Registered
Reaction score
Got it, Chris P. Thanks you!

DoNoKharms

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever a question about query accoutrement comes up, whether it's personalization or lengthy bios or recommendations, the only relevant question is the mind-changer: if an agent has read your query and decided they're not interested, would this realistically be enough to make them change their mind? If not, there's no point bothering with it, since their decision will be made on the query itself.