• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

When you CAN'T WRITE: Work on your writing anyway, or turn to a more "fun" writing endeavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
When you CAN'T WRITE: Work on your writing anyway, or turn to a more "fun" writing endeavor?

I wasn't sure how to word my title, but maybe others will relate to this:

There are many days when I feel as if I've hit a wall in my writing and can't make progress. When this occurs, do you tend to take on your writer's-block-fighting techniques (for me, it's sitting down and treating my writing like my FT paid job), or do you let yourself work on something else that's still related to writing?

For instance, when I can't work on my novel, I'll still write that day. I'll handwrite in a journal, write a long email to my mom, or maybe ramble on for a long, long time on AW. I've still written that day, still practiced my ability to construct a sentence, practiced taking on a particular written voice, wrote something geared toward a particular audience, and even worked on something that I value. However, I still usually feel that this is a cop-out, especially because I KNOW it also acts as a procrastination device in terms of working on my novel.

I'm sure for some people writing anything at all can be a method of working through writer's block, but this is usually not the case for me. So, do you tend to force yourself to work on the writing at hand, or do you use writing in general as your writing for the day and an acceptable break from your project?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I multitask--one book in edits, one in drafts, about four in plotting, plus short works--so this might not apply to you. But I consider it my job to spend an hour every day with my butt in the chair putting words on the page. Doesn't matter which work it is, but it must be fiction. That's the one rule. If you can't write your WIP, try a drabble. Challenge yourself to write a six-word story, or a story in three sentences, or the classic model of a short story in three scenes. Try to write a story of exactly 100 words, or exactly 1000. It doesn't have to be your novel, but yes, some fiction must be produced in order for it to count.

You might have heard that the reader will know if you were bored when writing. It's not true. But it is a lot harder to write a good scene when you feel like crap about it. You might not be able to bring your skills to bear on the scene, and then the reader will be bored. So if you can't bring those skills to bear on your novel, I wouldn't waste your time. Write something else. The rule is it must be fiction. You must be practicing more than your ability to string sentences together, you must be practicing your ability to string sentences together ​into a story.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I am the queen of forcing myself to do things I don't want to do. That pretty much describes my entire life. So unless I'm having a mental breakdown, or decided in advance to take the day off writing (I usually take Saturdays off, for example), I just keep chugging. I can usually force myself to make some sort of progress, even if I'm not as efficient as usual. If I'm not quite sure where to go next--I always outline, but sometimes I get a little stuck--I do some brainstorming, but I don't let myself spend hours on that.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
I agree with JetFueledCar. The important thing is that you spend time every day on this. If one project isn't coming, bash out some short fiction while you figure out what's not working with Project 1.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
If I don't "feel" like writing, I use that time to go back and fix things in the manuscript that I'd previously bookmarked to correct. That way I don't have to do it later and I didn't totally waste my time. By the time I finish this ms (ugh, at the end but it just keeps on getting longer), it'll be pretty much beta ready.

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
I usually do one of two things:
1) Editing. The stuff that doesn't require as much (if any) creative thought. The paragraph I wasn't consistent in tense, or gender pronouns, or weather...
2) Step away from the screen. Go some laundry or washing up or something that requires my hands but not my mind. Let my story mutter away to itself in the back of my mind until it calms down and starts coming up with some good ideas again.

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
JetFueledCar – Oh I like that! I need to distinguish between fiction vs. goofing around writing. You’ve obviously been more diligent than I have by doing so. I usually only have 1 or 2 WIP at a time, and now I’m at a weird state in which one is mostly done and one has only recently been started. I also do need to get over myself and do more fiction writing challenges, not simply insist that I must devote all that brainpower to my WIP . . . even on days I don’t actually work on them! Thank you for these suggestions—I’m going to steal them from you and put them into practice.

LJD – I love outlining, but, yes, sometimes I go into compulsive mode and take way too long on it, especially in terms of adding too many details, putting everything in “perfect” order, and formatting. I love that you chug along no matter what, and it inspires me to do the same. Does it get hard for you near the end of a WIP? Maybe it’s done from beginning to end, but there are some middle scenes that need to be added? This is always a giant hurdle of “waiting for inspiration to strike” for me. Also, sometimes I feel like my forced writing comes out forced. I can accomplish a solid paragraph word for word over the course of an hour, OR I can wait to feel like writing and get several pages down in a snap.

DanielaTorre – I love doing this as well, but sometimes I get too caught up and spend days on end editing mid-work.

Queen Yinin – I do tend to edit paragraph-by-paragraph as I go, so editing sessions are usually the more laborious rewriting of rewrites and elaborate copy-pastes. Very easy to get too caught up in it, but I like this suggestion. Stepping away is nice as well, but especially since I’m on “island time” now, it seems that one thing always leads to another, and suddenly it is 11 p.m., and my laptop’s battery is dead.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
There are many days when I feel as if I've hit a wall in my writing and can't make progress. When this occurs, do you tend to take on your writer's-block-fighting techniques (for me, it's sitting down and treating my writing like my FT paid job), or do you let yourself work on something else that's still related to writing?
So, do you tend to force yourself to work on the writing at hand, or do you use writing in general as your writing for the day and an acceptable break from your project?

My ways for coping might be different because I struggle with a whole load of mental illnesses, but when I have those bad days and I really can't face looking at my MS I go through the folders and folders of writing from when I was 15-16 and give myself a good laugh. I thought that stuff was good and it is just simply awful. I look at how far I've come and realise I probably can face it. If not, I edit. Editing is fairly simple, easy on the mind and you actually get stuff done and feel like you did something useful. If none of that works it's probably because the mess around me is making me feel sad, so I clean the house. When I'm done I feel refreshed and can most likely tackle editing, if not writing.

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
My ways for coping might be different because I struggle with a whole load of mental illnesses, but when I have those bad days and I really can't face looking at my MS I go through the folders and folders of writing from when I was 15-16 and give myself a good laugh. I thought that stuff was good and it is just simply awful. I look at how far I've come and realise I probably can face it. If not, I edit. Editing is fairly simple, easy on the mind and you actually get stuff done and feel like you did something useful. If none of that works it's probably because the mess around me is making me feel sad, so I clean the house. When I'm done I feel refreshed and can most likely tackle editing, if not writing.

Good tips! I haven't been diligent about keeping older writing, but sometimes I do read old college essays just to remind myself that what I wrote was relevant and seen by other people at some point.

Editing is a mixed bag for me. I can never simply look for grammar, spelling, awkward sentence structure, etc. Editing usually turns into the rewriting or insertion of a scene.

Writer MMS

Registered
Reaction score
I give at least 3 hours of writing a day. Sometimes (not often) I'll just stare at the page doing mostly nothing for 3 hours. Then a couple days later I explode with writing. Those "blank" days aren't really blank but your mind subconsciously figuring out answers to problems and plotholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.