• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Watching the sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quilliam

Banned
Reaction score
My MC is watching the sunset. The sun is about to go out of sight, and she describes it like this: Thelast thread of sunlight stretched thin at the far end of the world. Does this sentence make sense?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is watching the sunset. The sun is about to go out of sight, and she describes it like this: Thelast thread of sunlight stretched thin at the far end of the world. Does this sentence make sense?
It makes sense and it's rather lovely. Good job!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes - but you must trust yourself and stop seeking confirmation of things like this.

If in context a written image is right to you - leave it, or you'll end up writing by committee and trying to please everyone but yourself.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I think you should stop asking such questions. Those who think this description is beautiful may be dead wrong, and so may those who think it isn't beautiful. You have to trust your own writing.

The fact is that about ninety-nine percent of beta readers suck, especially when they're also writers. Outside of basic mechanics, the best way to fail is to listen to beta readers.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Quilliam, as others have said, you need to stop seeking validation from a committee on a sentence by sentence basis and just have more confidence in your writing. Save it up for when you want feedback on a larger excerpt of your writing, like in SYW, or a beta swap.

And on that subject...

The fact is that about ninety-nine percent of beta readers suck, especially when they're also writers. Outside of basic mechanics, the best way to fail is to listen to beta readers.

Ok, well, that's your opinion. I think there are scores of people on AW who would immediately leap to their beta's defence - if they hadn't already seen you beta-bash a million times before and got tired of rising to it... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.