Oh, Volkswagen -- What Have You Done To Us?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I traded my Buick Enclave in for a Jetta.
My husband traded his GMC Envoy for his 2010 TDI Jetta. He saves enough on gas to cover the payment. However, knowing its polluting undercuts that victory to say the least.

I gave my Buick Park Ave. to my daughter when I bought my new TDI Jetta, so it's still in the family.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first car was a 1971 VW Bus handed down from my father. It had sat unused in our garage for years. He had nicknamed it Hitler's Revenge. It was a truly terrible hunk o junk that did not idle, did not have heat or turn signals, didn't go over 50mph and handled like a box kite. I sometimes thought he gave it to me because a funeral would be cheaper than college.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
My first car was a 1971 VW Bus handed down from my father. It had sat unused in our garage for years. He had nicknamed it Hitler's Revenge. It was a truly terrible hunk o junk that did not idle, did not have heat or turn signals, didn't go over 50mph and handled like a box kite. I sometimes thought he gave it to me because a funeral would be cheaper than college.
I had a 1965 VW Bus. Carpeted it myself with brown shag, including the headliner. It was the height of cool back then. Since it was bright yellow, I named it Vananna, of course. Cold as the North Pole in winter and hot as hell in the summer, but uh-oh those summer nights. ;)

My first car was a 1963 Austin-Healy Sprite, with a thin aluminum tube frame you had to take apart to put the top down, sheet metal a bit thicker than a chewing-gum wrapper, a "windshield" I could remove in five minutes or less, sliding eisenglass windows that clamped on from the inside, no outside door handles or locks, no seatbelts, and a three-wire switch I could hotwire in 30 seconds if I forgot my keys. And it came that way from the factory. No way they could sell something like that these days.

First thing I did was put in a rollbar and four-point seat harness. Second thing I did was turn it into a rally/autocross demon. It was a good thing I put in the rollbar and harness. :D

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I learned alot about life and drive-in movies in the passenger seat of a "Love Bug" - it had a fierce heater in both winter & summer, as I recall. Hubs traversed France Germany & Spain in a microbus, until a minor disagreement turned into more. Still, uncanny associations with a vehicle line, so I thought I'd add mine.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
No need to apologize. I can see how "clever and evil" might be taken a different way. But I really meant evil. I'm sort of shocked at the brazen attempt to pull the wool over our eyes. And as far as smog regulations - I think I was converted in my 20s. Each summer I'd go with friends to Rosarita Beach in Mexico (just a few hours drive from my house) and play in a beach volleyball tournament. I clearly remember in town seeing and smelling the smog emitting from the cars and thinking how awful it would be to live in a place without smog regulations. And I've reported a few cars with smog billowing out of them.

Sorry about Carly :) though I doubt Rubio is much more to your liking.

Well, it certainly is clever.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
This is really awesome to read your stories about your cars. What is it about VWs that makes people wax poetic about the horribleness and other great memories? I've seriously had complete strangers come up to me in my Bug and tell me about their own back in the day.

My first car was a used VW Rabbit diesel. Not smog friendly but great mileage. And slow as heck. My second car (I was 23 and a poor med student) was a used Rabbit convertible that dropped into 3rd gear and wouldn't budge from it ON THE DRIVE HOME FROM THE DEALER. (Thanks Felix Chevrolet of downtown Los Angeles. And no, Felix Chevrolet, that car did NOT "only need a can of freon" to get the air conditioner back running. Good times...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about the Rabbit Diesel. One has not lived until one has driven up Pike's Peak in a Rabbit Diesel with four full-grown adults and a load of luggage. It was a leisurely drive to say the least. :D

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about the Rabbit Diesel. One has not lived until one has driven up Pike's Peak in a Rabbit Diesel with four full-grown adults and a load of luggage. It was a leisurely drive to say the least. :D

Stop! You're going to give me nightmares tonight. I remember rides like that -- sooo stressful!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Oooo... Volkswagen stories.

So okay, it's 1985 and I'm commuting with a friend to a summer job everyday with a high school friend. Of course, she drives a '69 VW Beetle Convertible. So, we're in morning rush hour traffic and there's a huge downpour. The windshield wipers are going back and forth like mad and we can still barely see what's in front of us. Just then, the wiper on the driver's side just flies off! Which maybe wouldn't have been so bad if the one on the passenger side wasn't original equipment that barely did anything (seriously, who replaces just one wiper?) She freaked out and had to roll her window down and stick her head out to see where she was going. I couldn't stop laughing...

Oh, oh, another one! One of my buddies had a Beetle convertible, too. Later model, maybe '74. One time, he was driving and when he applied the brake, his foot slipped off and went right through the floorboard to the road below! Good times...

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Two V-Dubs in the family history -- my Dad's 1962 Karmann Ghia, which was fun to drive in High School (I actually beat a Corvette off the line. Probably because the 'Vette's driver was laughing histerically), and my current 2005 Passat TDI.

I only average around 38 mpg highway with the Passat, but then I'm commuting on the I-95 corridor between Woodbridge, VA and the Pentagon. If you aren't doing 80 mph, you are getting run over. Except when you are at zero speed.

Both cars would drive through just about any kind of weather, and do it with aplomb.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I want to join in! I've never owned a VW, but at one time I did have a pet guinea pig named Carmen Ghia.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
It's an astonishing story. Here's my take on it...

Back in 2008 I wanted to buy a small premium diesel to be my "working" car. Something not too big to take me to the office and to business meetings with the occasional passenger. Economical, but not monk-spec. A bit of luxury, but not bling. Fun to drive, but not a sports car. A responsible classy set of wheels for a manager with an environmental conscience. A car that said "Hey, I'm successful but mature and modest with it."

So I take a wander into the showrooms.

Mercedes wanted to sell me the mumsy (then) A class or B class. Great for taking kids to school, but for a bloke in his late 40s? Nope. I would constantly feel that I was auditioning for a remake of Mrs Doubtfire.

Mini wanted me to sit behind a comedy retro-pastiche dash that seemed to be trying too hard to be yoof.

A VW golf was just too dull.

An Alfa Romeo was Italian seductive with dials marked "aqua" and "benzina", but the switchgear felt like it was made out of bendy straws. I couldn't see it lasting the test drive, let alone a few years of hard miles.

Honda gave me the choice of the granny-tastic Jazz or the Darth Vader helmet Civic. But despite already having a Honda in the family (the simply wonderful FR-V), neither appealed.

That left the Audi A3 and the BMW 1 series. And that is when I discovered something very odd. The BMW 4 cylinder turbodiesel engine was faster, more powerful, more economical and less polluting than its VAG counterpart. That puzzled me so much that I compared engine by engine between the two cars, and it was the same story at every price point. I could understand it if one engine was more economical and less powerful or vice versa. But I couldn't see how the BMW engine was better in every department.

Looking back at it now, it didn't occur to me that BMW might have cheated. Surely they wouldn't do that?!

I bought the BMW, helped by the fact that it went round corners when I turned the wheel, where the Audi A3 felt like it was being steered by committee. Once you get past the image problem with the BMW badge, its turbodiesel engines were markedly better.

VAG must have been losing so many diesel sales back then. Spec for spec, their engines just were not as good as the competition. So what did they do? Eventually they managed to engineer a solution and their modern TDIs are supposedly much better. But back in 2008/ 2009 they needed a quick fix. So they decide to fit a software defeat device to cheat the emissions tests. At some point, a group of men (probably) in grey suits sat around a meeting room table and decided to lie to their customers. Our engines aren't as good as our competitors - so we'll cheat.

Unless, of course it turns out that BMW were also cheating and VAG were simply catching up. Now that would be a pain in the proverbial.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Unless, of course it turns out that BMW were also cheating and VAG were simply catching up. Now that would be a pain in the proverbial.

Um...Once! -- they just might have been. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ny-tests-cars-new-report-sends-bmw-shares-dow

One day after Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn announced his resignation over the German automaker's use of software to dupe emissions control tests, European countries are conducting new tests — and the Auto Bild site says a BMW diesel model also failed to meet European standards.

The new report that a BMW X3 produced more than 11 times the amount of NOx (nitrous oxides) pollution allowed under Europe's standards spurred a sharp drop in BMW's stock price, which fell more than 7 percent Thursday.

That test was carried out by the International Council on Clean Transportation, which found that the BMW model performed worse than a VW Passat TDI — one of the cars included in the Environmental Protection Agency's call for a recall.

"All measured data suggest that this is not a VW-specific issue," Peter Mock, the group's Europe managing director, tells Auto Bild.

"Dieselgate" just keeps getting better. :cry:

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone really think they're not all up to similar shenanigans?

After Googling further, it seems there's still a question about BMW. They are vigorously denying the validity of that test I mentioned above. (And I can't see how it could help to lie here - it's easy enough to test more cars.) That didn't stop their stock from falling 7%, though.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I drive a BMW, though not a diesel, and yeah, as soon as this story broke, I started wondering whether they'd tried this type of shenanigan as well. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

My hubs was all excited about German diesel cars when the newer ones started appearing a few years ago - it always did sound a little too good to be true to me.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So okay, it's 1985 and I'm commuting with a friend to a summer job everyday with a high school friend. Of course, she drives a '69 VW Beetle Convertible. So, we're in morning rush hour traffic and there's a huge downpour. The windshield wipers are going back and forth like mad and we

Oh, oh, another one! One of my buddies had a Beetle convertible, too. Later model, maybe '74. One time, he was driving and when he applied the brake, his foot slipped off and went right through the floorboard to the road below! Good times...
My foot never went through the floor, but because the brake and clutch pedals were 2" platforms on 10" stems and the car had NO heat and I live in Michigan, ice would build on them making them impossible to stomp. I ended up working athletic socks over them for traction.

Since it didn't idle, you had to have your foot on the gas pedal at all times. It basically required 3 feet (ok, ankle twisting) to drive. I got really good at popping the clutch to restart the motor when it stalled in motion.

In in addition to the broken turn signal arm, the brights were stuck on. Driving in a snowfall gave the optical illusion of floating. One of the last things to go wrong was the steering giving out completely on my way home from college one day. I had to palm the wheel widely left and right just to maintain some vague semblance of a straight line. I finally gave up and got a farmer to give me a lift home. Not long after that repair, the engine sucked a valve and for that I'm sure I owe my life.

My having this VW bus at 17 probably made me a better driver.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Prices will be going down on used diesel VW cars pretty soon. Don't miss your chance to own one.

Prices might be going down on ALL used VWs. New ones, too, for that matter. The fallout from this scandal won't just affect the diesels. Now, how can you really trust anything VW says about any of its products?

caw