Writing again! Got a blogging position and sold a reprint. (Largely about depression)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
After getting my MA, I had a bout of solid depression that lasted from realizing I would likely never be in school again until, uh, yesterday. The kind of depression where you don't want to wake up, and you have to justify your own continued survival to yourself before any sort of real undertaking--like, say, washing the dishes.

I'm pretty sure I owe my breakthrough to Bernie Sanders, of all people. Listening to his speeches made me... angry. And hopeful, but mostly angry. Both sensations were, frankly, wonderful, because the constant emotion during depression is numbness. So I started going to Sanders meet-ups and re-engaging on twitter, and writing stuff again, which I hadn't done for years, except the bare minimum needed to keep my comic updating on the regular.

I know it wouldn't be a big deal to most of you, but I got a position at The Contemptor writing op-eds about politics and current events. My first one goes live tomorrow. And then Connie Fang from Xiaoduo Media contacted me about buying reprinting rights for one of my short stories.

Life isn't great, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's really nice getting out of bed with things to look forward to again.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I hear you on the depression thing, it just won't stay gone. The only thing strong enough to beat it is love. Not others loving you but you loving others. And you can't do that until you learn to love yourself. And that's kind of hard to do when you're depressed. It's a brutal paradox but I hope you get breakthrough.

What's your story about?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

The story is called "Midland City Pizza Palace Seeks Giant to Mash Dough." It's about a giant who learns how to quit his awful job at a pizzeria. :) It's got several versions in SYW, under Fantasy, I think, if you want to go on a scavenger hunt.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs:

Good for you, and congratulations!

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Bartholomew--that's awesome sauce. As someone who's struggled with depression for a very long time, I can understand and resonate with the importance of needing a strong reason to get out of bed, and it looks like your writing has become a very strong reason for you. I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!!

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Bartholemew! And it isn't surprising Bernie has invigorated you. I can only watch from afar from Canada, but kudos to you guys on the ground making his dream a reality. What a worthy cause to be involved in.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
I am happy for you, B. I hope your writing helps you to fight against that nasty depression.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else here, but getting work writing is always a big deal to me. Congratulations! And good luck! I hope you have a great time at the new job and that the writing helps with the darker days. This is seriously awesome. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.