Pub cred in cover letter to same market?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how other folks have handled this:

Let's say you're getting ready to send a story to Market X. And you've got your handy-dandy cover letter text, with the publication-credits section that says you've sold to... Market X.

Do you assume they already know, and leave it out? Or do you put it in, just in case it might help, and if so, do you phrase it any differently than if you were sending to Market Q?

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely put it in. "I have previously been published in this venue" or somesuch.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think every reader will know or recall that the magazine published one of your stories before.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If I've sold to that market, I list them as one of my three best credits. It won't hurt and it can help (if the first readers have been told to pass along writers they've published before, for example). I don't use any special wording, but they aren't going to be deeply offended if you do. I just tend to stick to the point in cover letters.

Most markets have published a lot of people, so don't assume they'll remember you without a nudge.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I usually add the name of the piece in parenthesis in hopes that it'll trigger the editor's memory.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Yup. I usually make it the first pub cred I list, with a parenthetical containing the title and issue in case I get a different slusher/editor than the one who bought my stuff originally.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. It feels a bit weird to say "I've previously been published in Nifty Magazine" when writing to the editors of Nifty Magazine, but it sounds like that's the way to go!

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
If it helps, you could always say something like "I've previously been published with you in Nifty Magazine Issue 3 (Super Great Story), Other Publication and Third Publication."

I tend to use a similar thing. In a weird way, I feel like that added "with you" makes it seem less like an impersonal form letter.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like that. Yes, much less like a form letter -- or, possibly worse, like I just wasn't paying attention to who I was sending it to. :)

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
In this situation I've said, "In addition to [market I'm submitting to], I've also been published in [market] and [market]." That tells them who I am while pretending maybe they already knew :p