Folders missing in Finder: Yosemite upgrade

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thread title says it all: the folders Pictures, Music and Movies are missing since the Upgrade.

I've googled the problem and found answers, but I am too techstupid to follow.

For instance, here, reply to the same question is, :Finder Preferences, Sidebar tab. Check the things you want to see.

I can't find Preferences. I can't even find the Sidebar tab.

Or here: WHERE is my HOME folder???

are the folders in your HOME folder? go there, drag the folders you want to the sidebar. that's it!

Hope someone can help. I don't even know why these words are highlighted, even though I am no longer quoting! I really am a Dummie.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thread title says it all: the folders Pictures, Music and Movies are missing since the Upgrade.

I've googled the problem and found answers, but I am too techstupid to follow.

For instance, here, reply to the same question is, :Finder Preferences, Sidebar tab. Check the things you want to see.

I can't find Preferences. I can't even find the Sidebar tab.

Are the folders missing in general or can you not find them in the Finder sidebar? If they're missing from the sidebar, what this guy means is:

With a Finder window open and in focus, look to the upper left of your screen. Next to the Apple symbol it'll say "Finder" in the menu bar. (After that comes "File," "Edit" and so on.) Click on "Finder." There'll be a dropdown menu. Second option from the top is preferences. There are four tabs in preferences; "General," "Tags," "Sidebar" and "Advanced." Click on sidebar. It'll show you a list of folders you can make visible or invisible in your sidebar. Tick off the ones you want to see.

Or here: WHERE is my HOME folder???

Your home folder is what you see when you click the house icon, usually the first icon in the Finder sidebar. It should hold all your default folders, Documents, Downloads and also Music, Pictures etc. It's the one you gave a name to when you first set up OS X. The path is Macintosh --> Users --> [whateveryounamedyourfolder].

I hope that helps.