I have heard of 'Buy American!', but this is pretty extreme...

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify that I am not talking only about hospitalizations or committment issues when discussing how the mentally ill are treated by MH professionals. It occurs during treatment, regardless of setting. But of course, MH professionals will pooh-pooh those charges - after all, they're being made by the mentally ill, and we all know how they exaggerate and misinterpret things. :crazy:

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Dang. It looked like a legit news site, and it was dated appropriately. I knew it sounded too good to be true, but but...

It is news because a suit has been filed against the NYC police. Here.

I am seeing the story, as posted in the link, all over the place.

Actually, I had heard about it before, because the events occurred about a year ago. I think she was sent to the hospital when she went to pick up her vehicle from the police impound lot. They probably didn't even try to match her id up with the registration papers. Because they didn't believe her.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It is news because a suit has been filed against the NYC police. Here.

I am seeing the story, as posted in the link, all over the place.

Actually, I had heard about it before, because the events occurred about a year ago. I think she was sent to the hospital when she went to pick up her vehicle from the police impound lot. They probably didn't even try to match her id up with the registration papers. Because they didn't believe her.
Well again, the original story has her being involuntarily committed because she claimed Obama followed her on twitter. So again, this new story, wherein it was due to her owning a BMW, is being pushed by someone. And again, there's little in the way of actual facts. So...lawsuit? Gee, that's surprising...

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Other than suicide, we usually go the other way on commitments, here, though. It's usually really hard to have someone committed. I'm sure the police have an easier time of it, but a judge still has to rule based on evidence, and the bar is so high for most behavior.

Since everything is confidential, honestly the lady could be misunderstanding what exactly got her committed and on psychoactive drugs. I mean, that's often part of the disorders that get you committed.

Right. And I'm not familiar with any states that allow someone to be held for eight days without any sort of order from a judge. Generally, someone can be held for 72 hours before they have to be released, switched to voluntary status, or committed by a judge.

Because of confidentiality laws, we often only get one side in cases like these. Sometimes the one side is clear enough, but other times it's not or there are things that don't quite add up.

I find the part about her being followed by Obama curious. Yes, it would be ridiculous to commit someone just because they said Obama followed them on Twitter. But I have to wonder how that even came up during the interaction with the police/hospital, because unlike the BMW, it doesn't seem relevant to the case. This is just speculation, but I wonder if she brought it up in anger and it was seen as erratic/manic behavior ("You think you can mess with me? I'm a professional! Obama follows me on Twitter!"). It's also possible that the way she brought it up really did sound delusional ("Obama follows me on Twitter, and if I tweeted right now, he could have twenty secret service agents here within ten minutes").

In any case, I find it doubtful that she was literally committed just because she said Obama follows her on Twitter or that she owns a BMW. We know very little about her demeanor at the time.

I do think that, like shadowwalker says, there can be a real problem of medical professionals overreacting and taking stuff out of context when someone is mentally ill. It's wrong to assume that getting upset or ranting is a symptom of mental illness. Even if someone is getting upset because of their illness, sometimes being upset is a reasonable response.

But I think it's suspect that this case is being presented as though she calmly asked the police for her BMW back and got committed solely because they couldn't believe a black woman could own a BMW. I'm not saying racism couldn't have played a role, or that it was right for her to be committed (we don't know), but either way, I suspect the situation was a bit more complicated than the way she's presenting it.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
DSM for Evil Bastards

BMW Ownership Delusional Syndrome

If in the prodromal phase, the client exhibits at least two of the following characteristics:

a) a persistent delusion regarding ownership of a BMW of recent model, in good mechanical condition, clean and with upholstery intact, and

b) African-American DNA

and if in the active phase, the client exhibits at least three of the following characteristics:

a) a persistent delusion of ownership of a BMW of recent model, in good mechanical condition, clean and with upholstery intact, and

b) indignation that other people do not share the aforesaid delusion (see active phase, characteristic a), and

c) African-American DNA,

a diagnosis of BMW Ownership Delusional Syndrome shall be applied and the client shall be committed for involuntary treatment to a psychiatric in-patient assessment and treatment facility until such time as a consultant psychiatrist in good standing shall determine that the client does not constitute a public laughing-stock.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Well again, the original story has her being involuntarily committed because she claimed Obama followed her on twitter. So again, this new story, wherein it was due to her owning a BMW, is being pushed by someone. And again, there's little in the way of actual facts. So...lawsuit? Gee, that's surprising...

You can sneer all you want, but all the elements of the case (both the twitter and the bmw) were in the write-ups a year ago. And a suit has been filed.

But I want some more facts before I dismiss. After all the Texas police did arrest Ahmed for a clock. And as Chris Hayes pointed out the police never called the bomb squad. So they didn't think it was dangerous. They try to claim it was a hoax bomb, but Ahmed never called it that. They did.

So I realize that there are rules that SHOULD prevent misuse of power, but these days those are ignored all the time. Just look at the unprosecuted bankers. And when the top is not held accountable, that corruption trickles all the way down.

So these days I read about all sorts of things happened that would not have occurred 40 years ago. Things have changed.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
And by law, the principal and police were not allowed to question Ahmed without his parents or a lawyer or some sort of representative. Ahmed asked for his parents. And these people questioned him anyway. With no good explanation, except that they could.

So these types of incidents erode my trust in officials restraining themselves and following the rules.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You can sneer all you want, but all the elements of the case (both the twitter and the bmw) were in the write-ups a year ago.
A year ago, it was noted that she had a BMW, but that wasn't given as a reason for her being involuntarily committed.
And a suit has been filed.
Indeed. It was filed in March. Here's the press release from her lawyer. This bit slays me:

In an effort to show the psychiatric staff that she did not require psychiatric hospitalization and that she did not belong there, Ms. Brock truthfully explained that she was a banker and that her Twitter account was followed by President Obama
Lol. Yes, naming twitter followers is SOP for demonstrating sanity...

But I want some more facts before I dismiss.
I'd like some facts before I accept the story. Imo, that's the better way to go. Always.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think we'd have to know what kind of insurance she has before we know why she was held so long. No insurance and she's out quick.

OTOH, I do have a personal anecdote about shrinks thinking someone is just exaggerating:
I had a super-annoying psychologist (woman) when I first got into therapy for untreated depression as a freshman in college. I liked her for a long time. Her practice had a psychiatrist to prescribe the meds, when he wasn't playing golf was my impression.

So after about 2 months on the medicine they gave me, I had a bunch of heart/pulse symptoms and told her about them. She nodded. Later, I started having short hallucinations at the same time every night! I'd wake up to a hallucination, which was terrifying, but I knew it had to be the medicine.

I told her immediately. She scheduled an appointment with the meds shrink. At that appointment he said, 'So tell me about these bad dreams'. I was like wtf? I know the difference between a bad dream and a hallucination! I asked him if she had written down bad dreams and he said yes. He also told me that my pulse symptoms were impossible. He sent me on my way.

The story didn't end well, but I was actually incredibly fortunate. I fell into a coma because my liver doesn't clear the drug as expected, and my serum levels were at fatal levels of the drug (literally). I asked the psychiatrist later if the hallucinations really were hallucinations. He said, 'Oh of course! It was like drinking bottles of Robitussin while snorting coke'. Gee, good to know :(

Eejits.