Hodderscape Open Submissions- Anyone heard back yet?

glupine

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejection, kirsteenamom. All the best with your other submissions.

if they're sending snail mail, does that mean I have to watch my mailbox too? Oh dear. :tongue

I didn't give them my mailing address, so I really hope not! Especially since I'm in Canada so I'd be waiting a while for that letter.

kirsteenatom

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejection, kirsteenamom. All the best with your other submissions.

if they're sending snail mail, does that mean I have to watch my mailbox too? Oh dear. :tongue

seem to be - I was expecting an email - perhaps the second readings get physical response as an extra courtesy!

Can someone link me to the angry robot thread?

Kirsteen

hey_cee

Registered
Reaction score
seem to be - I was expecting an email - perhaps the second readings get physical response as an extra courtesy!

Can someone link me to the angry robot thread?

Kirsteen

Guess I better check the mail today! I rather have an email lol. Kirsteen are you in the UK? Maybe?

hey_cee

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That is brilliant! I have done hardly a thing since sending my chapters in August and really wish I had got down to some proper writing. In my defence it was a hell of a year for me last year and not in a good way. But I need to start developing the sort of writing habits you have clearly got going, and make 2016 a proper writing year for me, I would love to actually finish something!

-

Sorry about your rough year - when I started this new job, I didn't write for almost three years, it was so taxing. I finally have it in hand. What helped me the most was to switch up how I write - and that became me filling Moleskin notebooks with purple ink. :) I got a handbag that it fit in, so have my current notebook with me always. I get an hour for lunch so decided to devote that time to writing and that is where I get most of my work done! Then on the weekends I type it up and flesh it out - thinking this way I knock the zero draft and the first draft out in one go. I wish I could be faster, but hopefully next book.

lenaf007

Registered
Reaction score
Surely they're not mailing responses to the U.S. though. I'm perfectly happy with a quick email! :)

PiperMc

swiming upstream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pipermcdermot.wordpress.com
It was a printed card with a space to hand write the title of the book, but I was glad to get something physcial in the post. I'm going to frame it as my first rejection :)

i've submitted to angry robot and gollancz and I'm really happy to have got through to a second reading.

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear that :( but best of luck with the other submissions.

I don' think I included my snail-mail address...I wonder if they'll bother sending it all the way down here to Cape Town?

Cavetraveller

Delusions of Grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrybuchanan.co.uk
Thank you -I'm quite philosophical as it's the first novel I've ever written and very raw. The card was very nice it said:

Thank you for sending us.......Driftstream.......
Unfortunately we do not feel that this proposal is suitable for publication on our list. With a very limited number of available places for new writers, we have to ensure that the entire team is one hundred per cent behind every new acquisition and, sadly, that's not the case in this instanec.

Thank you for the opportunity to read your work and best wishes with your endeavours.

It was a printed card with a space to hand write the title of the book, but I was glad to get something physcial in the post. I'm going to frame it as my first rejection :)

i've submitted to angry robot and gollancz and I'm really happy to have got through to a second reading.

Good luck everyone!

Commiserations, kirsteenatom :( but at least you've still got the other two in hand. :) Was it definitely Hodderscape, btw, and not Gollancz? I only ask because it seems Gollancz are sending out postal Rs. I guess I'm also selfishly hoping -- it's bad enough watching inboxes for the darned things without having to fear the letter box too!

eirewriter

Registered
Reaction score
i got my card today - rejection :)

Sorry to hear this kirsteen. Are you sure it was from Hodderscape though? And not Gollanz? But then Gollanz said they wouldn't be replying to anyone if it was a rejection....

simonc

Registered
Reaction score
Just got an email from Hodderscape with the subject line

The end is nigh...

Except it wasn't rejection, it was a book promotion. My heart has only just started beating again

SPBspec

Registered
Reaction score
Yes that email certainly started my heart pumping!

kirsteenatom

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this kirsteen. Are you sure it was from Hodderscape though? And not Gollanz? But then Gollanz said they wouldn't be replying to anyone if it was a rejection....

Hold the phones!!!! it was Gollanz - I just was thinking hodderscape so didn't process properly! (That's what chronic insomnia does to you).

So I'm still in the mix with Hodderscape :D

and yes, I'm in the UK :)

Enshanta

Registered
Reaction score
Hold the phones!!!! it was Gollanz - I just was thinking hodderscape so didn't process properly! (That's what chronic insomnia does to you).

Welcome back!!!

lenaf007

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! Glad you're still in the running here at least, kirsteenatom. :D When you posted about that the other day, all I could think was that I just got rid of a bunch of junk mail from my kitchen counter, and how worried I was that a tiny postcard would have been missed!

amicalia

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about your rough year - when I started this new job, I didn't write for almost three years, it was so taxing. I finally have it in hand. What helped me the most was to switch up how I write - and that became me filling Moleskin notebooks with purple ink. :) I got a handbag that it fit in, so have my current notebook with me always. I get an hour for lunch so decided to devote that time to writing and that is where I get most of my work done! Then on the weekends I type it up and flesh it out - thinking this way I knock the zero draft and the first draft out in one go. I wish I could be faster, but hopefully next book.
That's great to hear how you do it, I feel a twinge of inspiration! And a bit of determination, much needed. Am sure I can work out a way to fit writing in, it's got to be done really.

hey_cee

Registered
Reaction score

Oh yay! Now we can all ignore our snail mail boxes again! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh but BUMMER about Gollanz. :(

hey_cee

Registered
Reaction score
That's great to hear how you do it, I feel a twinge of inspiration! And a bit of determination, much needed. Am sure I can work out a way to fit writing in, it's got to be done really.

Yeah, now at least if/when? they say okay when can you send the full I can squeak out a better answer than um, I don't know??? :) Figure it out, what works for you. I never thought handwriting first sitting in my work conference room staring out at the river now and then to think would work so well for me. Crazycakes.

Sinon

Registered
Reaction score
Kirsteenatom, I'm glad you're still in the race at Hodderscape. :)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score

Table fixied. :)

Singers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can take any more of this. I haven't been this tense since the line up of my son's egg and spoon race, last Summer. :)