Hodderscape Open Submissions- Anyone heard back yet?

eirewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious.

(Who am I kidding! Dying to know)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They say you should receive a response by the end of Sept ( this month) I would safely assume if you haven't heard by then it's a no.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Don't assume anything. I have yet to be involved in any open call that responded by the given date. We don't know how many entries they received. Harper Voyager's open call got, what, 4500? If Hodderscape got even half that many, I don't think we'll be hearing back by the end of September. Christmas may be a conservative estimate.

Even the ones that go on for years (and I was in one of those) do respond eventually. Don't take a lack of response by September 30 as an automatic no. I suspect around September 29 they'll be issuing a statement telling us they got more entries than they were expecting and asking us to be patient. Unless they say, "We've picked out the ones we want. Thanks, everybody." Then it's a no.

In answer to the original question, I haven't heard anything yet.

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Sofia, Bulgaria. Usually - some quite bl
Nope, nothing here. And I agree with Pterofan, having some experience with open calls myself (non-English ones, tho. I hoped things will be different in the English-speaking world, but I expect delays here as well) - they'll say when they're ready, so until then don't despair if you haven't heard anything.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Anne Perry (Hodderscape editor) will be at Fantasycon next month. I'll try and ask her about progress.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I haven't heard anything. I have entries ranging between the first days and the very last hour, so who knows when I'll hear. I'm not expecting too much by the end of September, as I cannot imagine how they could read that much slush, but I do expect to get at least some sort of update on their site.

eirewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Says on the website that they'll start letting people know on the 20th:

e551b4fc061ca8aebe77215f7d8f7121
Andrew says:

September 16, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Do you start letting people know by the 20th or will have finished letting everyone know?

• 456d7ebb2d862c47253009b931734a92
    Fleur Clarke says:

September 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm
    We will start letting people know on the 20th. We have quite a few to get through so we may not be finished until the end of October. We’ll make sure to keep everyone updated on Twitter and the blog!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaand the first eejit has just responded rudely to a rejection. Ugh. I can't believe people still do that, it's so inconsiderate to the publisher.

And it's a really good way to get your name stuck on the list of Do Not Publish. No one wants to work with someone who can't handle the tough side of being published.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Did they respond rudely on Twitter? I'm not that practised on Twitter. I followed the link above, came to the bit with Anne Perry saying "Pro tip, if a publisher turns down your manuscript don't be a jerk about it" Is there a twitter thing about what the rejectee said, or is that the start of it?
Morbidly curious to see how bad it was.

eirewriter

Registered
Reaction score
1500, that's seems manageable :D

but they must already be replying to people if they are getting rude responses from authors.

I hope all of us are nice and polite.

There is now an update on the Hodderscape blog.

Last edited:

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Sofia, Bulgaria. Usually - some quite bl
Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
No, I do not think they set an amount. I would not imagine very many will make it, though.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, is there a mailing list or something so I can know about any open calls from any publishers? I missed this one, and don't want to again. Thanks!

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, is there a mailing list or something so I can know about any open calls from any publishers? I missed this one, and don't want to again. Thanks!

Not that I know of. I spotted this because I regularly drop in on the sf forum here.

There are also threads on opportunities in the general writing forums.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
They probably don't have a set limit for book deals. I know for the Angry Robot call a few years ago, I think they had over 2,000 subs and around 5 or 6 of us ended up getting book deals. Some were outright offers and some were revise and resubmits first.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

I don't know of any mailing list for this sadly, but Twitter can be a good way of keeping track of things. Most of my Twitter friends are writers, with a healthy balance of published pros and writers still in the query trenches, so there was a lot of chatter when the Open Door was first announced, and when it opened.

This Twitter can be useful for keeping track of new agents in the US and the UK, as long as you're doing your own research alongside it (they occasionally screw up), but I don't think they ever mentioned the open door.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They probably don't have a set limit for book deals. I know for the Angry Robot call a few years ago, I think they had over 2,000 subs and around 5 or 6 of us ended up getting book deals. Some were outright offers and some were revise and resubmits first.

I always forget there could be the possibility of an R&R with my submissions. I either think, yes or no. I remember I went through a few R&Rs with my one book. That was hell, but I made it through. Then some I'd get for other novels (especially with agents) and then nada. It's the next step in submission hell. lol

It looks like they made a few exceptions to respond to people. It sounds like they were getting bugged about it. As long as they keep giving updates on their blog, or Twitter, there's no need to nudge.