Standing While Black

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Not being able to tell people of other races apart is definitely a thing, and not just a problem white people have with regard to black people. Anyone who's spent time in Asia will appreciate the phenomenon. White people all look alike...

Which has nothing to do with this case.

I don't disagree. I'm just trying to make sure we understand the reason Blake was targeted was not because he was a "suspicious looking" black man; it was because someone specifically pointed him out as the suspect.

Dude, I understand your skepticism and your reflex to defend cops. Not that I agree with it, but I understand it. And you know how often I agree with NT. :rolleyes: But there's this thing you do, where you become hyperskeptical of every single story involving a cop doing something clearly heinous, in a way you do not on any other subject.

If someone said "I absolutely 100% know for certain that James Black was tackled because white racist cops are racist," I'd agree with you that that's a level of certainty not warranted yet by the facts. But keeping an open mind for the possibility of alternative explanations does not mean it's unreasonable to form reasonable hypotheses based on evidence. And as doctors say, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. So this black guy is standing there minding his own business and a cop tackles him because maybe he looked like some other black suspect, and you think it's totally uncalled for to say, "Hmmm..... could it be.... racism?"

snl_church_lady.jpg

Come on now.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Not being able to tell people of other races apart is definitely a thing, and not just a problem white people have with regard to black people. Anyone who's spent time in Asia will appreciate the phenomenon. White people all look alike...

Which has nothing to do with this case.

I disagree it has nothing to do with this case. We don't know for sure why the person who pegged Blake as the suspect did so, and it isn't weird or unreasonable to theorize that race was part of it given how often race does play a roll in these types of things. And even beyond the person that pegged Blake as the subject, the officer in question has a history of racially motivated misconduct that's about 2x-4x the amount of most other members of the NYPD. Saying his reaction was racially motivated despite how Blake got falsely pegged as the suspect, seems to be pretty reasonable with the guy's history.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There seem to be two things here that are getting conflated and people are saying one or both of but others mistake for the other or both or neither, heh.

1. Blake was identified and detained perhaps because he was black.

2. The WAY Blake was taken into custody and detained was perhaps because he was black.

I'm suggesting 2. I don't think, if the cops were looking for a white, female suspect, say, who looked like Ivanka Trump, and saw a tall blonde of the same build and approximate age standing the exact same way Blake was, the cop would have rushed and tackled her to the ground.

I don't think if they were looking for a white, male suspect who looked like, say, Andy Roddick, and Roddick were standing there waiting for his ride, it would have gone down the same way either. That's the problem. Yes, that cop appears to be a problem in and of himself, but there were a whole bunch of other cops there, none of whom apparently said, 'let's go talk to him, there are several of us and one of him and he's standing there placidly messing with his phone,' or even 'wtf are you doing tackling him without even identifying yourself and for no earthly reason, as he was just standing there and is theoretically wanted for credit card fraud, not being armed and dangerous ffs.'

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just said race was very likely a factor.

No, you really didn't. Hence why I said what I said. Your post dismisses one part as unimportant and elevates the other to more important than it needs to be. This obviously racist cop, per his history and not my personal feelings on him, apparently only needed the ok from someone who may or may not be one of the many people in this country who has trouble telling memebers of [pick your ethnic group here] appart in order to tackle the poor guy. In another case and a less racially divided city, I can't say I would mind this admitedly even handed approach you attemped. But it seems all too willing to ignore the fact NYC is one of the most racist cities in the country, even with its unoffical status as the prime example of how much of a melting pot the US is. Which is something I don't think can be ignored.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Dude, I understand your skepticism and your reflex to defend cops. Not that I agree with it, but I understand it. And you know how often I agree with NT. :rolleyes: But there's this thing you do, where you become hyperskeptical of every single story involving a cop doing something clearly heinous, in a way you do not on any other subject.

If someone said "I absolutely 100% know for certain that James Black was tackled because white racist cops are racist," I'd agree with you that that's a level of certainty not warranted yet by the facts. But keeping an open mind for the possibility of alternative explanations does not mean it's unreasonable to form reasonable hypotheses based on evidence. And as doctors say, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. So this black guy is standing there minding his own business and a cop tackles him because maybe he looked like some other black suspect, and you think it's totally uncalled for to say, "Hmmm..... could it be.... racism?"

snl_church_lady.jpg

Come on now.
Sorry. but I think you are misreading my posts. Not intentionally, of course.

As to my being skeptical of every story of police misconduct, that's simply not true. If you'll look back at my posts, you'll see that I said the cop involved in the Tamir Rice shooting should never have been a cop. That there was no excuse for putting a chokehold on Eric Garner. That the cop who shot Walter Scott should be charged with murder.

There are other cases that are less clear-cut, and i do have different opinions on some of them. But to say I always am skeptical of police abuses is factually incorrect.

What I am skeptical is the instance that every instance of confrontation between cops and minorities is racially motivated. I have also stated repeatedly that cops do treat minorities differently than they do white people But I've also said that although racism plays a part in that, it's not the only reason, and not even the main reason. You may disagree, but that's not the same as me insisting it doesn't happen.

I think in general I'm a relatively even handed individual. The reason I'm often skeptical of the common narrative about police behavior in general is perhaps because I have experience in that arena, and my experience in police work has been vastly different from the narratives portrayed. So I want to look at the facts closely before I jump to a conclusion.

As to James Blake, read T Robinsons post totally slamming this officers actions, and then my comment agreeing completely with him. How is that being skeptical of this cops behavior?

I also specifically state that this cops actions were quite possibly related to race, and agree he probably would not have acted in the same fashion if the suspect were white.

The only thing I said was that the narrative that Blake was originally targeted because he was black was not true. From what I read, Blake. as an individual, was specifically identified by an eyewitness -- i.e., someone pointed at him and said, "That's the guy."

So the idea that the officer focused on Blake due to racist assumptions about African Americans is not consistent with the facts.l

If the reports about eyewitness identification are incorrect, or I read them wrong, I'd change my opinion.

Last edited:

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
Because when you break it on down, it's because the apologists don't care. They don't care if Tamir Rice gets shot down within seconds by a cop who had been fired from another cop shop for being unfit for the gig. They don't care if Akai Gurley did nothing more threatening than coming down a darkened stairwell and bleeds out after being shot while the cop who shot him calls his police rep before calling in the shooting. They don't care about Freddie Gray's nearly severed spine resulting from a "nickel ride." They don't care about Oscar Grant shot in the back or Amadou Diallo blocking 41 shots with his twitching body. They don't care about Sean Bell blown away the day before his wedding.

Nor do they care about Trayvon Martin who wannabe cop George Zimmerman stalked, gunned down, claimed he feared for his life (sound familiar.?), and beat the rap with a stand-your-ground defense.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I disagree it has nothing to do with this case. We don't know for sure why the person who pegged Blake as the suspect did so, and it isn't weird or unreasonable to theorize that race was part of it given how often race does play a roll in these types of things. And even beyond the person that pegged Blake as the subject, the officer in question has a history of racially motivated misconduct that's about 2x-4x the amount of most other members of the NYPD. Saying his reaction was racially motivated despite how Blake got falsely pegged as the suspect, seems to be pretty reasonable with the guy's history.

Well, it's certainly possible that the person who said that Blake was the suspect may have done so because of the 'all blacks look alike' sort of deal. Or any other reason that lends itself to racism. For all we know, that person could have been outright lying. That in and of itself is separate from what the officer did.

The cop's actions wouldn't have been more acceptable if the Blake had been the person responsible for the credit card fraud. There was no reason to run in there and slam Blake down like that.

All Rugcat really pointed out that the officer's choice of suspects to 'approach' (And I use that word loosely here) wasn't based on a racist notion or an inability to tell Cedric the Entertainer from Shemar Moore.

He didn't defend the officer, or say the officer's actions had nothing to do with race.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, it's certainly possible that the person who said that Blake was the suspect may have done so because of the 'all blacks look alike' sort of deal. Or any other reason that lends itself to racism. For all we know, that person could have been outright lying. That in and of itself is separate from what the officer did.

The cop's actions wouldn't have been more acceptable if the Blake had been the person responsible for the credit card fraud. There was no reason to run in there and slam Blake down like that.

All Rugcat really pointed out that the officer's choice of suspects to 'approach' (And I use that word loosely here) wasn't based on a racist notion or an inability to tell Cedric the Entertainer from Shemar Moore.

He didn't defend the officer, or say the officer's actions had nothing to do with race.

Vince, I love your referencing Shemar Moore. The man is one of my favorite actors. But I simply have to disagree that the officer wasn't motivated by racism. He has a history that makes every single one of his actions suspect and what is known clearly shows he's racist and not fit for his job. Another officer without his history could be said to have been motivated, however ridiculous his actions, by something other than racism most likely. Not this guy though.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Even if James Blake had been the man the police were seeking, it's impossible to understand how they could justify using that level of force against someone who was standing quietly on a public sidewalk.

Exactly. Even if they had the right guy, this was clearly excessive force. Cops are not supposed to immediately react with aggression unless there's a serious risk to public safety. If someone is suspected to be very dangerous, it may make sense to grab them before they can have a chance to escape or draw a weapon. But someone suspected of fraud?

This whole thing could have been cleared up by talking to him like a human being, asking him some questions, and taking a good look at his ID.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Vince, I love your referencing Shemar Moore. The man is one of my favorite actors. But I simply have to disagree that the officer wasn't motivated by racism. He has a history that makes every single one of his actions suspect and what is known clearly shows he's racist and not fit for his job. Another officer without his history could be said to have been motivated, however ridiculous his actions, by something other than racism most likely. Not this guy though.

But that's not the point. Let's rewind and insert a different officer in there. One who we know is not racist and would never use excessive force. Let's assume this cop isn't just any cop. It's Supercop. People love getting tickets from him. Criminals are honored to be arrested by him.

What would have been different? Well, Supercop wouldn't have shot in there like a speeding bullet (See what I did there?) and taken down the suspect like that for alleged credit card fraud, right? But even Supercop would have approached Blake because the witness, for whatever reason, pointed at Blake and said, "That there is him. Go git 'em."

All Rugcat said was this officer didn't just see a black man and think he's a bad guy. That's not to say that he didn't overreact because Blake is Black. Or that under other circumstances, this cop wouldn't see a black man and think, 'You're black, therefore you must be up to no good.'

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But that's not the point. Let's rewind and insert a different officer in there. One who we know is not racist and would never use excessive force. Let's assume this cop isn't just any cop. It's Supercop. People love getting tickets from him. Criminals are honored to be arrested by him.

What would have been different? Well, Supercop wouldn't have shot in there like a speeding bullet (See what I did there?) and taken down the suspect like that for alleged credit card fraud, right? But even Supercop would have approached Blake because the witness, for whatever reason, pointed at Blake and said, "That there is him. Go git 'em."

All Rugcat said was this officer didn't just see a black man and think he's a bad guy. That's not to say that he didn't overreact because Blake is Black. Or that under other circumstances, this cop wouldn't see a black man and think, 'You're black, therefore you must be up to no good.'

That is not your or rugcats point, it is however mine. Nothing about his actions can be trusted because of his history since it is those actions which present the problem. And everything about his history indicates he does think the way you and rugcat insist we don't know whether he does or not.

Last edited:

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
That is not your or rugcats point, it is however mine. Nothing about his actions can be trusted because of his history since it is those actions which present the problem. And everything about his history indicates he does think the way you and rugcat insist we don't know whether he does or not.

But I'm not saying he doesn't think that way or what he did wrong wasn't based on that. What he did in tackling Blake is unacceptable and IMHO, he shouldn't be a cop. I don't think RC or I have defended him at all. But the thread title, Standing while black, makes it sound like Blake was targeted because he was just a black guy standing around minding his own business. The fact is, as a cop, if a witness pointed to Blake and said, "that's the guy," the cop has to investigate. So this cop approaching Blake wasn't an error on the cops part. It's about the only thing that I think the cop did right.

I mean, what should he have done when the witness pointed to him as the suspect? T Robinson pointed out everything the cop did wrong and how to do it right.

When RC made his first post, you said:

Ah, the first bits of what is sure to be lots of apologia in this thread by people who don't want to admit this guy had no reason to tackle Blake like that even if he had been the suspect.

I think both RC and I are saying, (And I think RC can pipe in here if I'm misrepresenting him here, is that there was no reason to tackle Blake at all. Believing that Blake was possibly guilty of credit card fraud doesn't mean going in like a freaking linebacker. Approach, identify yourself and interview the suspect.

But the reason why he singled Blake out was simply because he was identified by the witness. Not because he's black. Everything else, including his decision to tackle Blake and not talk to him, is another story.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Vince, this has become your typical fallback. Dream up a hypothetical situation and twist the facts of the case into a pretzel until it fits. It's as tired as it is predictable.

If all it takes to set Supercop off is some doofus telling him, "There's the Black guy who did it! Sic 'em!" and he charges in like a fucking bull, doesn't identify himself and isn't wearing a badge, doesn't explain himself or apologize for assaulting an innocent man, that's not Supercop. That's Stupidcop. Had James Blake had been armed, he would have been justified in defending himself from James Frascatore's unjustified assault.

There is no Supercop. There's no such thing as a Supercop. There's only cops and they come from the same gene pool with all the same preferences and prejudices same as anyone else.

Vince524 said:

Neither you, nor anyone else can say with certainty what Frascatore saw or thought. Badges don't bestow psychic powers either.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Ultimately this goes down to two issues:

1) Race (which is very well conversed between all of us at AW), and

2) Police Force.

Police officers shouldn't initiate force and when force is justified, it should be the least amount necessary. That officer should have started by asking some questions, instead of the 'Force now, talk later." This mentality is why the image of police in America is in shambles right now.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
After wandering around the web looking at the prior allegations, there's an additional issue: abuse of system. What seems to clearly be a case of profiling based on race, since all of the incidents of excessive force allegations are by PoC, have not resulted in firing by his superiors. Why? Because his superiors are protecting him. I'm tired of the thin blue line hiding abuse---whether against the public, other officers or their own families.

This goes beyond race. It happens in white on white cases, or Latino/a on White or...etc, etc. My day job is in the legal defense system, and the abuses make me crazy. But we've given up trying to push for charges against the officers. All it would do is make it harder to defend clients in the future. :Soapbox:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vince, this has become your typical fallback. Dream up a hypothetical situation and twist the facts of the case into a pretzel until it fits. It's as tired as it is predictable.

If all it takes to set Supercop off is some doofus telling him, "There's the Black guy who did it! Sic 'em!" and he charges in like a fucking bull, doesn't identify himself and isn't wearing a badge, doesn't explain himself or apologize for assaulting an innocent man, that's not Supercop. That's Stupidcop. Had James Blake had been armed, he would have been justified in defending himself from James Frascatore's unjustified assault.

There is no Supercop. There's no such thing as a Supercop. There's only cops and they come from the same gene pool with all the same preferences and prejudices same as anyone else.

Neither you, nor anyone else can say with certainty what Frascatore saw or thought. Badges don't bestow psychic powers either.

Have you not seen Hot Fuzz?

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

I swear to God, I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language. Is anyone actually reading what I've written? I've not once defended the cop charging in. He should never had tackled Blake. But if the witness said that's the guy, then his selection of Blake wasn't based on race. His actions, coming in like TJ Hooker on crack probably is. And without a doubt was stupid, and a case of brutality.

If you were the cop in ? and a witness said, that is the guy, what would you do? I'm quite sure rushing in and throwing the dude the ground isn't it. But you'd make contact with him, right? You'd approach the guy. That's all I'm saying.

If the cop had simply walked up to Blake, identified himself and proceeding to interview him, getting Blake's name and ID and maybe even clearing it up, and then thanked Blake for his understanding and walked away making whatever reports are required about the contact, then there would have been no problem. It wasn't the fact that this cop thought Blake was possibly the guilty party. It was everything he physically did.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The idea that race doesn't play a part in this is hilarious. For all we know, the person who gave the tip could be one of those people who has trouble telling Black people appart. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case considering the ongoing and constant race based issues and even division in NYC.
I'm sure as I read this post that it's already been addressed, but I think it's terribly important, so I'll risk resurrecting this.

That is not what rugcat said. I'll reword to see if that helps.

There is not a single incident here. There are two.

One was the identification of James Blake as a suspect in a delivery of fake credit cards. In this, Blake's race was not a factor for the officer. A third party identified him to the officer. Whether that third party was racially motivated or not says nothing about why the police focused on Blake. I agree with rugcat that this was not racially motivated. The "standing while black" is not relevant to why the police took notice of Blake.

The second incident was the apprehension and arrest of James Blake. The violence used, imo, was racially motivated. Clearly, that's speculation at this point. But I believe there is some pretty strong reason for the presumption. This, I think, is where "standing while black" is far more relevant. Would the officer have similarly tackled a random white man in a credit card delivery sting? Technically, we don't know. A great many of us presume not, don't we?

That's how I see what went down, and that is what I believe rugcat was saying, too, though perhaps with less presumption about the takedown.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I swear to God, I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language. Is anyone actually reading what I've written? I've not once defended the cop charging in. He should never had tackled Blake. But if the witness said that's the guy, then his selection of Blake wasn't based on race. His actions, coming in like TJ Hooker on crack probably is. And without a doubt was stupid, and a case of brutality.

If you were the cop in ? and a witness said, that is the guy, what would you do? I'm quite sure rushing in and throwing the dude the ground isn't it. But you'd make contact with him, right? You'd approach the guy. That's all I'm saying.

If the cop had simply walked up to Blake, identified himself and proceeding to interview him, getting Blake's name and ID and maybe even clearing it up, and then thanked Blake for his understanding and walked away making whatever reports are required about the contact, then there would have been no problem. It wasn't the fact that this cop thought Blake was possibly the guilty party. It was everything he physically did.

I think the important race issue involved is not how the cop identified Blake as a suspect (eyewitness identification), but rather what the cop did with that information (tackled him instead of calmly walking up to him, identifying himself, and asking a few questions). It's that act that is potentially a race issue, and I think focusing on the identification is a distraction, and a mostly irrelevant distraction. It's of almost zero importance in the incident.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I think the title of the thread is accurate, because if Blake hadn't been black, he probably would have been allowed to continue standing during the questioning process. I think Frascatore should be fired.

*quick derail* And though this is clearly off topic, I have to mention one thing - I'm not a tennis fan so wasn't really aware of James Blake before this. But good god, that man is beautiful to look at! *end derail*

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm reading what you've written and I'm reading how you contradicted yourself.

But I'm not saying he doesn't think that way or what he did wrong wasn't based on that. What he did in tackling Blake is unacceptable and IMHO, he shouldn't be a cop. I don't think RC or I have defended him at all. But the thread title, Standing while black, makes it sound like Blake was targeted because he was just a black guy standing around minding his own business. The fact is, as a cop, if a witness pointed to Blake and said, "that's the guy," the cop has to investigate. So this cop approaching Blake wasn't an error on the cops part. It's about the only thing that I think the cop did right.

The fact is, Frascatore didn't have a witness who pointed to Blake and said, "that's the guy."
How this cop "approached" Blake was an error. He didn't question Blake. He didn't identify himself as a police officer. He attacked Blake. How Frascatore approached Blake is precisely the heart of the matter.

"It's about the only thing that I think the cop did right."

This is so wrong on such a basic and fundamental level, it's not even funny. It's absurd.

There is not a single incident here. There are two.

One was the identification of James Blake as a suspect in a delivery of fake credit cards. In this, Blake's race was not a factor for the officer. A third party identified him to the officer. Whether that third party was racially motivated or not says nothing about why the police focused on Blake. I agree with rugcat that this was not racially motivated. The "standing while black" is not relevant to why the police took notice of Blake.

The second incident was the apprehension and arrest of James Blake. The violence used, imo, was racially motivated. Clearly, that's speculation at this point. But I believe there is some pretty strong reason for the presumption. This, I think, is where "standing while black" is far more relevant. Would the officer have similarly tackled a random white man in a credit card delivery sting? Technically, we don't know. A great many of us presume not, don't we?

I think the important race issue involved is not how the cop identified Blake as a suspect (eyewitness identification), but rather what the cop did with that information (tackled him instead of calmly walking up to him, identifying himself, and asking a few questions). It's that act that is potentially a race issue, and I think focusing on the identification is a distraction, and a mostly irrelevant distraction. It's of almost zero importance in the incident.

Here's what we do know about Officer Frascatore:

In 2012, a Queens man said, Officer James Frascatore pulled him over for a broken taillight, opened his car door and punched him three times in the mouth, unprovoked.
The following year, another Queens resident claimed, Officer Frascatore punched him in the stomach several times outside a bodega and called him a racial epithet.

Officer Frascatore’s history of excessive force complaints, including at least three filed against him with the Civilian Complaint Review Board in 2013, revealed a pattern of residents claiming they were detained without explanation and mistreated despite complying. It also led some lawyers and residents to criticize the Police Department for not punishing him before he was involved in another rough arrest.

“I don’t know what that dude’s problem is but I’m glad it finally came to somebody who someone would listen to,” said Warren Diggs, who sued Officer Frascatore, claiming that the officer had beaten him in his driveway in 2013.

Those accounts, both made by black men, came to light after a rough arrest by the same officer on Wednesday in which he wrapped an arm around the neck of the retired tennis star James Blake and threw him to the sidewalk after mistaking him for a suspect in a credit card fraud investigation.

rugcat says it's "factually incorrect" to say he's always skeptical of reported acts of police brutality pointing to several examples where he says he wasn't. Fair enough. However, there have been enough other incidents where he has been skeptical of stories of police misconduct that its not factually incorrect for Amadan to make that remark.

Past acts are indications of future behavior. James Frascatore's history as a member of the NYPD is one of a cop who doesn't mind asserting his authority and if it takes roughing up and smacking down a suspect, that's what he's gonna do. He's a tough, take-no-shit NYPD bad ass. You wanna make a omelet you gotta break some eggs.

This is why is is a mistake for rugcat, Vince524, robjvargas, clintl and anyone else to dismiss out of hand how Frascatore approached Blake by saying Blake's race had nothing to do with it, but the process of how he arrested Black did.

Charging Blake like a bull seeing red=not racial.
Making contact with Blake and taking him down=
racial.

Excuse me, but that makes absolutely no sense. If the arrest was racial, how is the attitude of Frascatore not racial. He has accumulated a previous history of using harsh, excessive and other tactics which are not good policing tactics. Want to guess what the race of Frascatore's previous victims were or is that an irrelevant distraction of zero importance too?

It doesn't matter what the racial motivations of the third party were who provided the cops with a picture of a Black man who slightly resembled Blake, but is at least a shade darker than him. Claiming Frascatore was acting on bad intelligence is nonsense. Even if it was a case of mistaken identity, credit card fraud is a crime that requires the unrestrained use of excessive force?

James Blake's anger at the indignity he suffered at James Frascatore's thuggish hands has grown, not lessened, and he has some specific ideals on how they should be addressed. An apology from the mayor and the police commissioner ain't gonna get it done.

“I want him to know what he did was wrong, and that in my opinion he doesn’t deserve to ever have a badge and a gun again, because he doesn’t know how to handle that responsibility effectively,” Blake told the Daily News Saturday morning. “He doesn’t deserve to have the same title as officers who are doing good work and are really helping keep the rest of the city safe.”

The positives, Blake said, would be to combat the pervasive problem of excessive force by police, achieving “real change in the form of policies, accountability, making sure all the police force is held accountable for their actions, that (could) change the whole narrative of what seems to be an us-against-them mentality where there is antagonism between the public and the police.

“We really need to change that. And I think if we hold them accountable, we are going to change that,” Blake said, adding that he would be sitting down in the near future with Mayor DiBlasio and police commissioner William Bratton to discuss such changes. Blake said he had spoken to his attorneys about possible legal action against the city, but made it clear that his larger mission was addressing the underlying issues that fueled the incident, saying that goal might be better achieved outside a courtroom.

Asked whether this would’ve happened if he had been Andy Roddick or Mardy Fish, two white tennis contemporaries of his, Blake said, “I don’t want to say that at all because I think that muddies the issue at hand. In this incident it was the excessive force that's really the issue, because it was a nonviolent crime. Even if I was the suspect, this isn’t the way to treat anyone, no matter what. . . . so I think that’s more the issue.

“In terms of the race thing and the fact that this might not have happened to Mardy or Andy, I think there s a time and place for that conversation and I think that’s an extremely important conversation but I don’t want to wrap that around this issue. This issue is different.”

James Blake has never presented himself as any sort of racial trailblazer or Angry Black Man so his reluctance to make this about race. But he's gonna have a tough time making anyone believe Andy Roddick would have gotten the same sort of treatment.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score

Taken directly from the article you linked:

"But instead of nabbing the man in the photo, Officer James Frascatore — directed by the courier delivering the ill-gotten goods — tackled Blake instead, police said."

In all the articles I've read, the courier mistakenly pointed Blake out,and Frascatore tackled him. I don't know why we're still arguing about this. Nobody in this thread is defending Frascatore.