How do you publish an illustrated book with illustrations you commissioned yourself?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title asks. I know, I know, I've been told before that it's best not to include any illustrations with a submission, and let the publishers decide both whether or not the book even needs them, and if yes, what they will look like. However, for my purposes, I don't want to do that. My goal, you see, is to try and get an OEL light novel published traditionally, so I can pave the way for more OEL light novels to be published in the same way. Issue is that light novels are currently published by manga publishers, rather than book publishers, and these manga companies do not even look at western submissions. They only translate hugely popular titles from Japan that often have accompanying animes....there are lots and lots of Japanese titles that don't even get touched, let alone something written in English from the start. As a result, I can't submit to the manga publishers straight out like I could if I was making a manga...so I'm having to go in roundabout ways.

At least some of the manga publishers that put out light novels(Yen Press jumps to mind immediately) are connected to and/or have dealings with book publishers. Even further, in Japan, light novels are published by book companies rather than manga publishers(as they should be), and many English publishing companies have dealings with their Japanese counterparts.

So, basically I'm looking to pitch an illustrated book to the publishers that are connected/have dealings with either manga companies or Japanese publishers that produce light novels, and see if they either like it enough to publish it themselves, or perhaps go to the manga companies and/or Japanese publishers they have dealings with and go "hey, I know you guys don't usually touch this kind of thing, but I got a light novel submission that I think you should consider..." By doing this, I make it so my work is not automatically binned because it's not from Japan...but there is an issue: I'm not making kidlit, or even MG. My target audience would be the same audience that currently consumes light novels; young adults and adults.

Even further, due to the fact I'm trying to distinctly publish a "light novel" the illustrations would be done in anime/manga-style, and would need to be included with any query to agents, and submission package to publishers, precisely because if I want them to take it to their associated manga publishers after deciding it's good, but too illustration heavy to publish themselves, I'm going to need those illustrations as well as my partner artist already established. Manga publishers do NOT, under any circumstances, provide/hire artists themselves; so I'd need to have an artist, and illustrations, already done and made up for this scheme to work. Thus, I'd be paying an artist myself, and already have somebody I'm communicating with to that end.

So, my question is, since I am DEAD SET on doing this despite what I've been told, how in the world do I put together a submission package to both agents, and eventually publishers, that includes illustrations I payed for myself? Are there industry standards for illustrations and if so, what are they? How do I include said illustrations in the submission package and, more importantly, should I mention my stubborn determination to have these illustrations included in the book and my desire to make traditionally published OEL Light Novels a thing in my query? Should I also put the fact I'm willing to take a Japan localization only deal in my query if publishing in the US would not be possible?

Also note that, "self-publish" is not the answer I am looking for. I refuse to ever self publish because I want to write, not advertise...and successful self publishing is 90% marketing/promotion, 10% actual content creation.

Anyway, any clarity on all of this would be great!

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hmmm... Well, you're either going to have to interest a manga company in speculating on the American taste for OEL, or approach a publisher with the idea of a heavily illustrated novella. Anthologies are hard enough sells for U.S. readers, where the majority of novellas are published. Only the very top of the top bestsellers have novellas produced as stand-alones.

Your best bet may be the Tor Books slush pile, which doesn't require an agent. They're often interested in trying new things, and actually have (or at least had at a past point) a manga line. They've also adapted John Scalzi's books into manga. So there's at least a history of the concept.

That's all I've got. Good luck!

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have another question, though...if it's basically impossible to do in the US, would it be possible to get a deal in Japan? I know that's kinda crazy to ask, but a while back I had a friend who knew the Japanese business landscape tell me he thought it would be possible even if I did not translate and localize it myself, so I'd like to know from you, or anybody who knows, whether this is true or he was misinformed, and if he was telling the truth how I would go about this?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I would think it would be possible, given that there are plenty of deals that go between the US and Japan, but you may want to do some research and see how people strike up those deals, and what goes into them. I remember hearing a guy speak about bringing Japanese bands and music over to the US at Naka-Kon (an anime convention), and he talked a bit about his business tendencies. But I don't know how well that would apply to what you're doing. You might start by looking into J-Pop (I think that's what the music was called that he worked with?) and see what steps are taken into bringing their music to the US, and vice versa for that and other products.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being "dead set" on doing it your way and refusing to look at self publishing are really going to limit your options, in any genre for any work. But my guess is that you're going to have to do a lot of your own work in submitting, testing, getting rejections, and possibly recommendations, before you can even narrow this down to how or where to send your work.

I'd agree with Tor being the better option in the US. And I'm curious what you've found out from your friend with the information, since that's likely a more experienced source than anyone you'll find randomly on the internet.

Good luck though.