And the game begins...

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I just put Magic's Stealing up for pre-order. Don't know how well it will sell, but I thought I'd try to keep a rough log of my process in case it helps anybody. :)

My goal is to eventually make a living off of writing, but that's going to take time. My husband, Isaac, and I started our own publishing business for our books and games (Infinitas Publishing), and Magic's Stealing is the first story we're releasing. It's a young adult fantasy novella, the first in a planned trilogy (The Wishing Blade series).

We're going with Kindle and Smashwords for now, with the intent to create a print edition on Createspace once we've earned enough money to purchase a block of ten ISBNs. We're going with the free ISBNs for the ebook editions, but we want our own ISBNs for the print edition. Eventually I'd like to try getting a print edition going through Ingram Spark, as well, but that will come once we're ready to really try pushing the books into book stores.

Costwise, we're at an advantage since I'm doing our covers and formatting. I've been doing book covers for other authors and a couple small presses for a while now, and I got my Bachelor's degree in photography, with an emphasis in Photoshop, so I feel comfortable doing them myself.

Isaac primarily works on the game side of things. We're printing a tabletop card game through The Game Crafter, which is a print-on-demand game site. We've already ordered our first proof of the game and have made edits, but we need to proof the rules again and then order a new proof due to some major change in the box artwork (renamed the game due to beta tester misconceptions). Having players test the game without any previous knowledge or input from us was really helpful in seeing where our rules were lacking. Key thing we learned? Pictures are useful.

In the meantime, I plan to start writing the second book of The Wishing Blade series and continue editing The Multiverse Chronicles (Isaac writes the rough draft, I edit). The plan is to create a series of short episodes that we will release on a weekly blog, which tie into the card game. Once the season is complete, we'll put all the episodes together into a book.

I've been detailing some of this process on my blog, along with writing, and that's been helping me keep my thoughts straight. Kind of fun, too.

Eventually, we plan to release our Distant Horizon series (first book mostly polished, but we want to hire an editor for that one), along with other books in that universe.

But that's all for now. No idea if the pre-order will garner any interest or if it will fall flat, but we shall see. :)

Burgold

Registered
Reaction score
Break a leg... I'll be hopping into the same boat soon. Be glad to follow your adventures and misadventures as you head into uncharted waters. It sounds like you have a good map, but who knows where the currents will take you.

I think the idea of being multi-platformed is smart.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks, everyone. I shall try to post updates as I go. :)

Burgold: Good luck as you jump into the waters! :)

I thought about doing Kindle Select, but I know that at least a couple potential readers go for Smashwords, so I decided to try going with the higher price point instead. We'll see if that scares off readers or not.

Another note on multi-platformed... I've heard that having audio books can be good. I'd love to narrate some of my stories and make them available that way, too, but it will be a while before I have time to sit down, practice reading through them, and then record them. And even then, I suspect the quality won't be super high, given my lack of audio editing skills. But it's something I plan to keep in mind. :)

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the game!

It's interesting that you're jumping into multiple platforms to start. Clearly, you've done your homework!

Let us know how it works out, please. I'd like to expand into multiple platforms too, once I've built up a body of work. But I'm a little hesitant, due to all the variables involved...

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Sounds interesting. I pre-orderd it.
Good luck & many sales to you.

Thank you! I appreciate the sale. :-D

Welcome to the game!

It's interesting that you're jumping into multiple platforms to start. Clearly, you've done your homework!

Let us know how it works out, please. I'd like to expand into multiple platforms too, once I've built up a body of work. But I'm a little hesitant, due to all the variables involved...

I've been trying to do a lot of studying before I got started. I'd debated between Smashwords and Draft2Digital, but stuck to Smashwords since I'm familiar with it. As a side note that I found in my recent experience, my book is a YA fantasy/adventure, however, it uploaded to iTunes, Kobo, and BN.com as science fiction. I sent an email to Smashwords, and they were able to manually fix the iTunes category. The customer service representative said he reshipped the book to the other two places, though he noted that "I'm not positive but I think B&N puts all of our YA SciFi/Fantasy in YA > SciFi." At the moment, the other two still have it as science fiction. Not too big of a deal for me, but it might not be the best category for the book.

I don't know how different that would be if using Draft2Digital, or uploading directly through their platforms. (Though I think one platform actually has better royalties if you go through the distribution site, instead? Can't remember which one, though).

Looks like I had 5 pre-orders through Amazon Kindle (Thanks again, ebbrown!), which helped push Magic's Stealing up to #83 in Books > Teens > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Time Travel. (There's a bit of time travel involved in the plot, so I included that as a key word). Probably not quite high in the ranks enough to be seen by many other people before it fell off the chart again, but still cool to see. And it's a start. :)

Now I've just got to get started writing on the second book. :-D

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Hey, guys! It's been a year since Isaac and I started Infinitas Publishing, so I decided to create the first annual report. I posted it on my blog, but I thought that those of you who like seeing numbers might be interested, too. :)

Since starting the business, we've released 1 book, 2 games, and 15 episodes of a serialized novel. (Plus, we pulled in one short story and a collection of short stories that I had published previously)

We had 4 appearances: 2 book signings, a game booth at a local convention, and a booth at a local street fair

Now for the sales stats:

Magic's Stealing
Ebook (Released September 17th, 2015) ($2.99)
September:

• Smashwords: 1 Sale (Kobo)
  • Kindle US: 3
  • Kindle US (Pre-order): 5
  • Kindle UK: 1
October:

• Kindle (US): 1
November:

• Kindle (UK): (1 Sold and Returned)
December:

• Smashwords: 1 Sale (Kobo)
  • Kindle (US): 1 Sale
January:

• Kindle (UK): 1 Sale
February:

• No sales
March:

• Kindle (US): (3 Sold, 1 Returned)
April:

• Smashwords: 1 Sale (Barnes & Noble)
May:

• No Sales
June:

• No Sales

Total Ebooks Sold: 18

Print Edition (Released December 1st, 2015) ($7.99)
December:

• No Sales
January:

• Amazon (US): 2 Sales
  • Readers World (Sedalia) Book Signing: 5 Sales
  • Readers World Sedalia (1 Prior to Signing, 4 bought by store after signing): 5 Sales
February:

• No Sales
March:

• No Sales
April:

• No Sales
May:

• No Sales
June:

• Hastings Book Signing: 6 Sales
  • Hastings (Later Date): 2 Sales

Total Paperbacks Sold: 20

Total Copies of Magic's Stealing Sold: 38

Ashes ($0.99)
Online Only (Short Story - Released prior to creation of Infinitas Publishing)
June:

• No Sales
July:

• No Sales
August:

• No Sales
September:

• No Sales
October:

• No Sales
November:

• No Sales
December:

• No Sales
January:

• No Sales
February:

March:

• No Sales
April:

• No Sales
May:

• No Sales
June:

• No Sales

Total Copies of Ashes Sold: 1

1000 Words - A Collection of Short Stories
(Released prior to creation of Infinitas Publishing)
(Note: All but one of these short stories are available for free online through Smashwords)
Ebook ($0.99)

June:

• No Sales
July:

• No Sales
August:

• No Sales
September:

• No Sales
October:

• No Sales
November:

• No Sales
December:

• No Sales
January:

• No Sales
February:

• No Sales
March:

• No Sales
April:

• Amazon (AU): 1 Sale
May:

• No Sales
June:

• No Sales

Total Ebooks Sold: 1
(Note: I did not track sales of the individual free stories. If you're interested in those, let me know)

Print ($11.99 - full color paperback)
June:

• No Sales
July:

• No Sales
August:

• No Sales
September:

• No Sales
October:

• No Sales
November:

• No Sales
December:

• No Sales
January:

• Amazon (US): 1 Sale
February:

• No Sales
March:

• No Sales
April:

• No Sales
May:

• No Sales
June:

• No Sales

Total Paperbacks Sold: 1
Total Copies of 1000 Words Sold: 2

The Multiverse Chronicles
(Prologue and 1st 3 episodes released February 5, 2016)
(Online Only - Free Blog Series)
6 Followers

Battle Decks: Trials of Blood and Steel
(Released February 12-13th, 2016)
Deluxe Edition: ($37.99 - Online Only) No sales
Basic Edition: ($24.99 - Online Only) No sales
Total: 0 sold

Phalanx
(Released April 9th, 2016)
Cloth Edition: ($25.00 - Local Only) 4 sales (3 sold in April, 1 sold in June)

Wooden Edition: ($75.00 - Local Only) 1 sale (April)
Board Game Edition: ($28.99 - Online Only) No sales
Total: 5 sold

I suspect that having the games be primarily online only is hurting chances of impulse buys, especially given that it is direct from The Game Crafter website, rather than a site people are familiar with (such as Amazon). For Ashes and 1000 Words, these are older works, so I rarely advertise them.

Marketing

Twitter - Every so often, I tweet for Magic's Stealing on my writer's account. Also, Isaac and I created a Steampunk-themed curator Twitter account, The Dapper Pigeon, from which we occasionally tweet about Battle Decks and The Multiverse Chronicles.

Facebook
- We created the Infinitas Publishing Facebook page, and I tried running a short campaign ($10.00, from Feb 19th-20th, 2016) but didn't see any sales.

Word-of-Mouth
- We have poker card-shaped business cards and fliers with the first episode of Multiverse that we hand out at events.

Newsletter
- We created the Infinitas Publishing Newsletter on June 3rd, 2016. At the moment, we have 0 followers.

Goodreads Giveaway
- I gave away 1 copy of Magic's Stealing in January, 2016. 893 people entered the giveaway, but there were no noticeable sales based on the giveaway (I can attribute the print sales that did happen to people I know personally).

Rafflecopter Giveaway
- I offered up 1 ebook of Magic's Stealing during the first giveaway and 2 ebook copies during the second giveaway. The first had 3-5 people entering, and the second had one.

Hopefully that's interesting. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Hello again. It's been a while since I've posted, but I thought I'd chime in with an update. :)

Yesterday I released "Stone and String." It's an 8,000-word short story set in the same universe as Magic's Stealing. It's a (reasonably) stand-alone story, so I decided to give Kindle Select a shot. I'm hoping to attract readers who use Kindle Unlimited, or perhaps get someone to take a chance on a lower-priced story (99 cents, versus the $2.99 for Magic's Stealing, which is a novella). We'll see how it goes. I originally thought that Kindle Select allows for the 70% royalty option on 99 cent ebooks, but now I'm not sure about that, since I didn't see an option for that.

At the moment, the only marketing I'm doing is to mention it on my twitter accounts and blog, as well plan to post it on the publishing page's Facebook page. I'm also thinking of picking up 10-15 print copies to sell at a local street fair where my husband and I will be selling our books and games.

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
Covers look good, Stephanie. Getting copies out there is good, and I hope the street fair goes well for you! My 2cents of advice might be to seek out a few reviews/reviewers. The reason isn't so much for other people who stumble upon your books and buy them, but rather because most promo-options worth using require x# of reviews so they can determine quality of your work. eg, BookBub - which remains one of the best - needs to see reviews before they'll select a book for it's program.

Thanks for being so open with your sales and marketing efforts. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks. I'm just hoping that the covers match the content well enough to attract the right readers. :)

I'm hoping to eventually get more reviewers. I've debated using YA Bound Book Tours for their review query service with an upcoming book (Distant Horizon), but I don't know if it's worth the money or not. Theoretically, an author provides information about the book, which they send out to their list of reviewers, and interested bloggers can request a review copy. But since my book isn't heavy on romance, I'm not sure if it will attract the same amount of reviewers that other books might. I am planning on trying their book blitz option, though.

And no problem about being open. I figure it ought to help other writers to be able to see exactly what is being done throughout the process. :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Just a quick update. :)

Had the book cover reveal for Distant Horizon on September 20th, hosted by Lola's Blog Tours. Had about 20 blogs participate, and I saw a few twitter shares, as well. I haven't seen any new pre-orders yet, but I'm hoping the cover reveal will help start the familiarization process.

Then September 23/24th, Isaac and I participated in a local street fair. We had our books and games there, and demoed one of our games. That went really well for us, and we managed to break even (largely in part to selling all four of our wooden game boards, which were crafted by a local wood crafter. We also sold five copies of Magic's Stealing, and nine copies of Stone and String. I handed out several fliers for Distant Horizon (again, no pre-orders). Since then, I've had one additional person sign up for the Infinitas Publishing newsletter. We broke even at this event, which was better than what we were expecting, given that it's only the second event where we've had items for sale (that wasn't a book signing).

No ebook orders of Stone and String yet. Now I'm gearing up to finish preparing Distant Horizon for publication (final proofread of the printed copy, and preparing a book blog tour), and we're looking at going to a local holiday arts and crafts show in November.

That's all for now! :)

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi SBibb!

Amazing how resourceful you and your husband are in both the writing of your books and in creating games. You mention your story "Stone and String" was published through Kindle Select. Has that been going well? I heard that for 90 days with Kindle's Select books that they receive all the profits but will promote your book. I would think that would be a big advantage as trying to promote one's own book is a huge job, a profession in and of itself. I was hoping, if I decide to ePublish, to just try Kindle Select and then I wouldn't have to promote my book, a 100,000 word novel, and just let Kindle do that. Is that unrealistic? I thought after 90 days of top professional promotion that I'd save a lot of money in advertising and publicity and just keep working on my writing and let my book hopefully sell. Just wondering what you think. Thanks for posting your experience with Kindle. I like your titles and book covers!
Kindest Regards,
Winfred

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Amazing how resourceful you and your husband are in both the writing of your books and in creating games. You mention your story "Stone and String" was published through Kindle Select. Has that been going well? I heard that for 90 days with Kindle's Select books that they receive all the profits but will promote your book. I would think that would be a big advantage as trying to promote one's own book is a huge job, a profession in and of itself. I was hoping, if I decide to ePublish, to just try Kindle Select and then I wouldn't have to promote my book, a 100,000 word novel, and just let Kindle do that. Is that unrealistic? I thought after 90 days of top professional promotion that I'd save a lot of money in advertising and publicity and just keep working on my writing and let my book hopefully sell. Just wondering what you think. Thanks for posting your experience with Kindle. I like your titles and book covers!

That's not how Kindle Select works at all. You agree to make your book exclusive to Amazon. In return, you gain access to some promotional tools: you can make the book free for a few days or run a countdown deal. The tools they offer will need support, such as advertising your free days, or you'll get very few downloads/sales. Select also means readers can borrow the book. You'll be paid for any sales or borrows.

What you're not doing is hiring Amazon to promote your book.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I was hoping, if I decide to ePublish, to just try Kindle Select and then I wouldn't have to promote my book, a 100,000 word novel, and just let Kindle do that.

To reinforce what Polenth said, any form of self-publishing will require that you promote your book, whether it's paid advertising or free options like social media. You are the author as well as the publisher. Writing is the easy part; selling books is where the real work begins (IMO).

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been busy getting Distant Horizon ready for publication and haven't had a chance to check the forums lately.

Hi SBibb!

Kindest Regards,
Winfred

I'm glad you like the covers and titles. :)

To be completely honest, I'm not sure that Kindle Select is worth it. One, like Polenth says, it's not a direct promotion. Thus far, I have sold one copy of Stone and String, and that sell came shortly after a promo post I made on Twitter... after several other attempts and promotions there. (However, I did sell nine copies at a local street fair. Not very good profit margins--I was making roughly 60 cents from a $4.00 book--but it did sell). For me, I don't think it's realistic to consider Select as a way to get out of doing your own promotions. That being said, I have not yet used my free days, and I'm hoping to get another short story up from the same series before that in order to offer a "next book" if I can get anyone to download the first one for free.

That being said, success varies depending on genre. Some genres seem to do really well with Select. Others don't. So... proceed with caution?

While I'm continuing to test Select, I don't know whether I'll try another three months of exclusivity, or opt to pull it from Select and push it across multiple platforms once the first three months run out. (Or maybe I'll try a total of six months, and if that doesn't work, then pull it).

But echoing what Polenth and WriterBN said, one of the biggest challenges is marketing. I'm doing some experimenting in regards to Distant Horizon, and I'll be letting everyone know how that goes sometime after the initial launch concludes (the launch starts October 27th with the release of the book! Yay!). But I'm bracing myself to consider myself lucky if I manage to sell five books in the launch phase.

It's tough, but we do what we can. :)

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your sales from the book fair!

Good luck with experimenting with marketing. Remember--self-publishing is a marathon not a race :) And, there's different measures of success besides just book sales. It's cool beans that you were brave enough to put your work out there. And, slowly but surely, readers will find you. Keep up the good work.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Congratulations on your sales from the book fair!

Good luck with experimenting with marketing. Remember--self-publishing is a marathon not a race :) And, there's different measures of success besides just book sales. It's cool beans that you were brave enough to put your work out there. And, slowly but surely, readers will find you. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! And yeah... I have to keep reminding myself that it's a marathon, not a race. (Not sure how many times I've said that to myself this past week). :)

Good luck with your upcoming release, SBibb!

Thank you! :)

--

In the meantime, Distant Horizon is now available! :) I had two pre-orders, and one sale since then, so it's not much, but it's a start.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom says that the third book is where you start to gain momentum. Hope it's true for you. Congrats on the new release!