Hi I'm Shy_Mom!

shy_mom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a newbie so this is the place for me!
I've been writing my whole life it seems like, but really got serious in the last five years or so. Novels I have no problems banging out, but I've had a big block about writing queries, synopses and getting involved with other writers.
So I'm going to just throw myself into this and see what happens.
As my name not-so-subtly implies, I'm shy as heck. Wallflower, shrinking violet, retreating turtle, all the cliches apply to me, but I'm going to do my damndest to get over it here.
Anyway I suppose that suffices for an introduction? Glad to be here, hope I fit in!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great introduction, and Iowa is a brilliant place for a writer to be from. Welcome to AW. We're all shy here - except CassandraW. And Haggis, of course. And PuttPutt and Cornflake. And - oh hey, never mind....

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Pfft. Don't listen to mccardey. I'm totally bashful. However, I shall push my natural reserve aside in order to welcome you to AW.

jaycel_lee

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, shy_mom! (And thanks for welcoming me. :))

I completely understand about feeling shy. I remember once in fifth grade rehearsing what I would say during roll call over and over in my head. Everyone else said "Here!" and I decided that I would say "Present!" to be different, but I was afraid that I would forget (or sound like an idiot), so I rehearsed what to say until my teacher finally called my name and I squeaked out "present", but in not in the tone of voice I'd intended at all. I was silent the rest of the day. (Most days, actually.) I lived in fear that the teacher would call my name. Not because I didn't know the answer (I definitely did since I was/am a bit of a know it all), but because I was afraid it would come out wrong and I would sound stupid.

Strangely enough, I made myself join the congressional debate team in high school. Maybe I thought with a grade on the line, I would actually be motivated to improve my ability to speak in front of strangers--or maybe I was just crazy. (Probably crazy.) It did work, though. I was never great, but I did improve and managed to teach myself that it wasn't that big of deal if I sounded like an idiot (which I definitely did--some of those speeches were truly cringe worthy).

My job now involves regularly communicating with strangers and I believe I do it rather well, but I admit that I still feel awkward when things go beyond my job and people want to engage in small talk (which I'm terrible at). A large part of me will always be painfully shy and awkward.

:Hug2:

Last edited:

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we're just going to have to be extra welcoming, aren't we? Have a seat, have some tea, and welcome to the Cooler! :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
That's quite a voice for a supposedly shy person! :D Would that I could be so outgoing!

My wife introduced me to that song. I've always gotten a kick out of it.

Carol Burnett rules. We have a best-of on DVD that we're slowly working through.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Shyness is part of the business for most of us! :) You're in good (shy) company. :welcome:

shy_mom

Registered
Reaction score
I completely understand about feeling shy. I remember once in fifth grade rehearsing what I would say during roll call over and over in my head. Everyone else said "Here!" and I decided that I would say "Present!" to be different, but I was afraid that I would forget (or sound like an idiot), so I rehearsed what to say until my teacher finally called my name and I squeaked out "present", but in not in the tone of voice I'd intended at all. I was silent the rest of the day. (Most days, actually.) I lived in fear that the teacher would call my name. Not because I didn't know the answer (I definitely did since I was/am a bit of a know it all), but because I was afraid it would come out wrong and I would sound stupid.

This is so me in middle/high school! A know-it-all afraid to speak for fear it would sound stupid. I always wanted to be homeschooled but that would have made the problem waaaay worse. :D

shy_mom

Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Do people really do this? Make a mad dash for 50, post a thread and then leave? To my way of thinking the 50 posts is a brilliant way to get wallflowers off the wall!!

It's not so many that a scaredy like me will think it's unattainable but its enough that hopefully I'll feel part of things enough to ask for help by then.

brswain

Comma Splice Survivor
Registered
Reaction score
Do people really do this? Make a mad dash for 50, post a thread and then leave? To my way of thinking the 50 posts is a brilliant way to get wallflowers off the wall!!

It's not so many that a scaredy like me will think it's unattainable but its enough that hopefully I'll feel part of things enough to ask for help by then.

Fifty posts seems huge here, because I seem to struggle with what to say.

I am the newb of newbs in many ways, I didn't decide to get serious about writing something until a few weeks ago (literally), then I cranked out a 50K word draft in ten days. Go figure. I checked my file date stamps though, I created the initial outline in 2006 so it took me a little while to take the next step.

But I'm not exactly brimming with writing wisdom to share with others at this point.

The funny thing is on a sailing message board out there somewhere I have something like 30,000 posts? That took a decade+ to hit, but I wasn't exactly...shy. Loudmouthed and outspoken is more like it. Put me in a topic I know something about I will talk.

Here feels different though. Perhaps because I don't know the community, or the customs. Or much about writing, except what my gut as an avid reader tells me.

Anyway, welcome. We ought to try and be not-shy together, as I have some work I want others to look at some day.

Sounds like you do too.

skywhys

Registered
Reaction score
I'm shy and don't know what to say yet either! Your post inspired me to give it a try.

shy_mom

Registered
Reaction score
I'm shy and don't know what to say yet either! Your post inspired me to give it a try.
Cool! That is so cool! Yes give it a try.
God I waffled for so long about registering. And then when I'd psyched myself up to do it, I couldn't post right away. Obviously I assumed I'd done something incorrectly. But it turns out I was in a mod queue for activation. So after a bunch of waffling I basically made myself impatient to start.
I used that to get me over my fear of posting. This is something I've always wanted to do! Apparently its okay to stand in my own way.
Anyways I've always thought the quiet ones have a ton of interesting stuff they're not sharing. Its hard to remember your voice is important too!

pursuedbyabear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a member of the "rehearses conversations that will probably never happen" squad. That's the nice thing about forums - you can (over)edit what you want to say. :) Nice to meet you!