An editor's perspective

Alex

Banned
Reaction score
The following is an excerpt from my publisher’s blog. If you want to read the entire article, which should be of interest to anyone who writes, go to this address:

http://thecockeyedpessimist.blogspo...?showComment=1441659205855#c18490041958266235

THE BOOK DOCTOR
Karen Owen is a freelance editor of manuscripts, a monthly opinion columnist at The Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, VA, and the former publisher of Van Neste Books. She lives with her husband, novelist and Hammett Prize-winner, Howard Owen, in Richmond, Virginia.

“When I was a publisher, I did not have the financial wherewithal to hire any assistants. I was chief financial operator, editor, creative director, book-packer and promotions person, and the joke was: ‘I am Van Neste Books.’ Unless a manuscript grabbed my attention by the second chapter, I did not have the luxury to finish reading it.

“The same was true if I ascertained that the editing required to whip the manuscript into shape would be too onerous. Assuming the writer was no William Faulkner, there were times when I was forced to move on to the next item in my in-box.

“And forget Thomas Wolfe. For most publishers, the days of indulgence by a Maxwell Perkins are gone. They don’t have the staffs or the time to wrestle a story to the ground. It may sound shallow, but neither do they want overly long word counts, as the costs to publish these books can be prohibitive.