Is there a thread on these folks already? I couldn't find it.
New outfit embarking on an IndieGo campaign until Sept. 23, 2015.
Statement: "Authors and readers deserve better!"
temp website until they build the new one in a couple of weeks: https://semperpress.wordpress.com/
From their What is Semper Press page: "Semper is the creation of J.S. Wayne, a veteran erotic romance author who has seen the good, the bad and the ugly of both small press and self-publishing."
I applaud them actually using crowdfunding to get some starting capital, since many small presses don't make that cognitive leap in the first place. I do worry that Semper's mission ("by placing the interests of readers and authors above profits") is going to limit investment and growth, because I don't know how long you can crowdfund a publisher. For me, standard disclaimers apply: I'll see where they are in a couple of years.
I came across them on an advertising post through Love Romances Cafe, which I'll copy here. (mods, modify if needed.)
<<Authors! 65% royalties sound about right?
Semper Press thinks so!
We're starting a new house with a new perspective and a whole new outlook on the business of publishing. We think "Authors and readers deserve better!" Because of this, we're in active negotiations with the best cover artists and editors in the business to make sure authors and readers alike get the best possible reads and a product they're proud to share around!
For authors, we offer:
- 1-year contracts from initial publication date
- Intense manuscript vetting comparable to Big 5 processes
- 65% royalty share to YOU
- Authors retain all other rights
- Unparalleled marketing and promotional support before, during and after release
For readers, we offer:
- The Semper Slush-Pile Angels program, which allows readers to save one randomly-selected rejected manuscript from editorial limbo and gives authors another chance to get their work into the Semper Press catalog
- The Semper Press Readers' Club, a members-only club that gives members the book of the month each month plus a regularly priced e-book at 10% off cover price
- Unprecedented chances for readers and authors to meet, mingle and talk all things books!
We are in the middle of our crowdfunding campaign through Indiegogo, and are currently accepting submissions. To learn more about Semper Press and what we're doing, check out:
Or shoot us an email at email@example.com!
We look forward to getting this thing started. Won't you join us?
Chief Executive Grand High Cat Herder
Semper Press >>