Is liquid metal cliche?

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm writing this story and earlier on, this guy's arm was completely amputated and then revealed that he has a prosthetic. He went to the person who amputated his arm and then he shows that it's not a regular prosthetic - he can mold it into whatever he wants like liquid metal. He uses it to mold the key and essentially pick a lock, then turns it into a shiv in order to kill his attacker.

But when I came up with this, I kept thinking of the antagonist of Terminator 2.

...is this a cliche and if so, can you suggest an alternative?

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the arm given to Wormtail by He Who Shall not Be Named, too, beyond just Terminator (see also: Swiss Army Appendage on TV Tropes). Maybe it's cliche, but if so, it's one cliche. Your book can survive with one cliche - nearly all do. It doesn't matter if we've seen a liquid metal arm before. It matters what you do with it, and how you present it.

If you are leaning sci-fi, some other alternates include experimental-grade nanotech, 3-D printing, portable 3-D printing tools to reshape it on the go (seriously, the 3-D printing pen is beautiful and real). There are a million different ways to run with the same idea. Best of luck.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Well my novel series has basically been more "Spritual with a lot of fighting." This has actually been the most sci-fi I've ever done. Most of the sci-fi have been energy blasts from those who know how to materialize their inner energy as a weapon, and this guy can't do that but he's harnessed the power of science to turn himself into a weapon.

Can those that are 3-D printed feasibly be used as a sturdy weapon? (Not necessarily now as the book is placed in the not-so-distant future.)

MikeBWriter

Registered
Reaction score
yes one guy 3d printed a gun and had his 3d printer reclaimed by the 3d printer company because of the perception of bad press.
legally he could have sued them, but he was only doing it to rebel. He was making a statement. the gun worked.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it didn't work in the real world, if your book is more sci-fi, the version in your book could work.

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
Liquid metal, of course, would not "mold" on its own but fall splosh onto the floor. What you really need here is a metal with a memory, sort of like nitinol.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
3D printing is extremely expensive but would otherwise be taking over the world right now. They just made a guy a new ribcage...

I would definitely pick some sort of 3D printing base that can create whatever shape/object the wearer wishes - brain to technology control is no longer a thing of the future, either. Keep in mind that it would need something to print with, "ink" if you will. Make it metal if you want, to blend it all.

Pure metal is typically not liquid at normal temperatures and would cause quite a burn if it were to spontaneously liquefy in order to change shape.

Okay, now all my thoughts are gone. Brain vomit. :D

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Well, you could always go with nanites...

I think you could do what you want, and you don't necessarily need to explain the details of how it works. (Unless it's a core component to the plot). Perhaps it's not really liquid metal, but that's the nickname the material received in your world? Could be some other material entirely.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you watched Big Hero 6? It uses a very underutilized (and surprisingly plausible) variation on the liquid metal idea. And it's a fun movie, too.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Liquid metal, of course, would not "mold" on its own but fall splosh onto the floor. What you really need here is a metal with a memory, sort of like nitinol.

That is a good idea. I think I'll incorporate that. Thanks :)

3D printing is extremely expensive but would otherwise be taking over the world right now. They just made a guy a new ribcage...

I would definitely pick some sort of 3D printing base that can create whatever shape/object the wearer wishes - brain to technology control is no longer a thing of the future, either. Keep in mind that it would need something to print with, "ink" if you will. Make it metal if you want, to blend it all.

Pure metal is typically not liquid at normal temperatures and would cause quite a burn if it were to spontaneously liquefy in order to change shape.

Okay, now all my thoughts are gone. Brain vomit. :D

I appreciate the help. 3D printing does seem like a good avenue and I think I'll go with that. Thanks! :D

Well, you could always go with nanites...

I think you could do what you want, and you don't necessarily need to explain the details of how it works. (Unless it's a core component to the plot). Perhaps it's not really liquid metal, but that's the nickname the material received in your world? Could be some other material entirely.

Nanites seem like a good idea but as Angry Guy mentioned and I haven't thought about it until now, I don't want it to be too reminiscent of Big Hero 6, although I just did a wiki and found it to be used in Star Trek as well.

AnOldBlackMarble

www.AnOldBlackMarble.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AnOldBlackMarble.com
I don't think it is cliche at all. It's something that will probably become a reality in the future, and a great and versatile tool. The key for you may be is to find a new way to use it. Give it certain limitations, otherwise the guy is pretty much all powerful. There's got to be some drawbacks to it. That would make it more realistic, and the character's struggle more intense.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Nanites seem like a good idea but as Angry Guy mentioned and I haven't thought about it until now, I don't want it to be too reminiscent of Big Hero 6, although I just did a wiki and found it to be used in Star Trek as well.

I haven't seen Big Hero 6, but I was actually thinking more of Stargate SG-1. I think there's another show or book that uses something similar, but I don't remember which one. Just what to give you some options, though. :)

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I got caught on the picking a lock, because it's one of the more useful-to-writing things I actually know how to do. Can he manipulate the metal arm using the metal arm (i.e. move it like bending a finger rather than using the pressure of his other hand), and does he have sensation in the metal arm? If not, no matter how moldable it is, it would take less time to just pick the lock normally.

Other than that, no, I don't think it's too cliche at all, at least not for the YA market. You don't get a lot of Swiss Army Appendages in YA, at least not that I've read. Which might be because you don't tend to get a lot of amputations in YA.