Indie authors - how do you classify your Urban Fantasy novel on Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzywaltz

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working on an Urban Fantasy I plan to self-pub before the end of the year and I'm curious to know who else has self-pubbed an Urban Fantasy and how they've classified it on Amazon. There is no actual Urban Fantasy sub-genre, and when I search for UF books they seem to vary as far as genre classification.

As far as my particular novel, it centers around a strong, non-human female character in an urban setting that's also an alternate universe. Romantic elements, but not a romance and no HEA between any two characters. So far I haven't found an UF books that aren't at least partially set on Earth, so I was leaning more towards fantasy, but when I showed it to an editor she said it read more like paranormal romance and would be misleading to classify as fantasy. She suggested urban fantasy, but once again the sub-genre doesn't actually exist (paranormal fantasy is the closest I've found).

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or insight it would be much appreciated!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I believe there is such a category on Amazon, but it might be deeply buried. I just looked up a YA urban fantasy by one of my editing clients and it's listed (among other categories) as:

• Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Urban
  • Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Paranormal
  • Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Urban

jazzywaltz

Registered
Reaction score
I believe there is such a category on Amazon, but it might be deeply buried. I just looked up a YA urban fantasy by one of my editing clients and it's listed (among other categories) as:

• Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Urban
  • Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Paranormal
  • Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Urban

Aha! The first and third categories definitely look correct to me. Thanks!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I used:

FICTION > Fantasy > Urban
FICTION > Mystery & Detective > General

Then "paranormal" and "supernatural" in my keywords to be sure the book would be included in relevant mystery sub-categories. For a romance you'll be looking at different words, but the principle is the same. You can often get yourself in non-selectable categories using keywords. Here's the Amazon help on that: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A200PDGPEIQX41

We have a self-publishing forum where you'll find more stuff about that side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.