Rejection after sending query

SarahCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I sent a query to a few children's book literary agents.
I got my first rejection letter today after sending it yesterday and I didn't even think they would get back me at all. I'm going to keep trying as I know this will be one of many but I can't give up. I sympathize with everyone facing this. Hugs!

I'm not sure if this is against forum rules to post the letters. I think this was respectful but a bit strange with the wording. Is not enthusiastic enough about it mean they just don't like it? Are there any others out there who have gotten rejections from picture books?

"Thank you for letting me review your query. Unfortunately, I don't believe that we are the appropriate agents to represent this material. In this very competitive market, we are simply not enthusiastic enough about our ability to sell this work to offer you representation.
We wish you the best of luck placing this successfully. Thank you, once again, for letting us consider it."

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It's a form rejection that they send to everyone they reject, nothing personal and it shouldn't be analyzed more than that.
Good Luck on your submission process! Picture books are a tough sell. Just keep sending, or if you get nothing but rejection you can revise query. You'd have to wait til 50 posts to post it in the query forums.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's a standard form, and the wording is also standard. It just means "No."

culmo80

Registered
Reaction score
Everybody has gotten a rejection letter that reads exactly like that, regardless of genre.

If you don't already know this, here's some advice. Only query about ten agents at a time--and make sure they are actively seeking picture books. See if they're on Twitter and if they are saying anything about what they're looking for. If you've got a good targeted search with ten agents and they don't bite, consider revising your query letter, then resubmit to another ten agents. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Don't be discouraged. Hang in there!

MikaelS

Registered
Reaction score
I've received several query rejections over the past couple weeks. Don't take the reply personally, generally agents send standardised replies. Keep querying!

Yesplease

Registered
Reaction score
Agree that it's a standard rejection. Hang in there!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I've had form rejections arrive almost immediately and some that took months.

The fact that it was quick doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong or that your book or query is bad. (They might be bad, but one rejection, no matter how quick won't tell you.) You have to have faith in your material and keep plugging. (She says to herself after filtering through the most recent round of agent rejections...)

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
I got my first rejection letter today after sending it yesterday and I didn't even think they would get back me at all. I'm going to keep trying as I know this will be one of many but I can't give up. I sympathize with everyone facing this. Hugs!

As others have said, it's a form rejection, and they come in all "forms". :) Here are examples of some common verbiage used in rejections I've received over the years: "wasn't as taken with your manuscript as I need to be", "we do not think the project is right for us", "didn't connect as strongly enough", and "didn't fall in love with this". The fact that you received a response at all is great, and that it arrived so quick is even better.

As you move forward in the query process, keep in mind that this is a subjective business. What one agent/publisher hates, another might love. While it might not erase the sting of rejection, it might ease the pain a little. :)

Keep your chin down and hands up. Good luck!

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
That's what annoys me. Those are automated replies but some agents don't even send a response.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there Lalaloopsy - we all feel your pain. If you end up with a pile of rejections you will begin to see a pattern and recognize a "form" right away. Even the ones that say, "I enjoyed reading your sample pages, but I'm afraid I'm not the right agent for you." I agree the no responses are annoying. At least some agents say that if they don't get back to you within a certain timeframe you can assume they passed.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score

I'm not sure if this is against forum rules to post the letters. I think this was respectful but a bit strange with the wording. Is not enthusiastic enough about it mean they just don't like it? Are there any others out there who have gotten rejections from picture books?

"Thank you for letting me review your query. Unfortunately, I don't believe that we are the appropriate agents to represent this material. In this very competitive market, we are simply not enthusiastic enough about our ability to sell this work to offer you representation.
We wish you the best of luck placing this successfully. Thank you, once again, for letting us consider it."

Yup, move on. At least it was a quick death.

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
That's not very different from my rejections. They all read like a variation of that. The only rejection I have that differed from the pack said "I read the first five pages and wasn't compelled to read more." That sort of stung, so I switched some things around and as best I can tell, there's still no one interested. I'll get there.