The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Entertwine Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Entertwine Publishing

Hi you guys! A friend of mine mentioned this publishing house being interested in her. Me, being the nosy person I am and trying to save her from some of the issues with small press, have been trying to find information on them. I can't find ANYTHING. Opinions or information from signed authors much appreciated.

http://entertwinepub.webs.com/

There's very little info on their about page which raises a red flag for me. Covers are so so. I think I saw them on Facebook or Twitter.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

Yeah they seem REALLY small, which already raises red flags for me. They're using a free domain name, which shouldn't worry me but it does lol.

Now with more stubble VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    Free domain worry is definitely a worry. Big one. It means they're a business that can't pay a very small sum for a professional web presence. I pay a very small sum for a professional web presence and I'm unemployed at the moment. This does not bode well for them, y'know, paying writers.

You also say they were interested in her. Just to clarify: did she submit, and then they expressed interest in the book? Or did they contact her out of the blue? Because the latter is a big, big red flag. Legit publishing houses don't need more slush.

ETA: vis-a-vis editing, you might read through these.

Two general guidelines apply as well. First, new+small publishers start up all the time and go bust all the time, catching overeager authors in the process. Give them a couple of years, see if they're still going. Sounds like you've already told your friend this. Second, in the meantime, make a list of all your friend's dream publishers (or agents). Start at the top with the biggest houses. "They're too big for my book!" Nonsense. If the book is good, it's a fit for any publisher. Sure, your friend is likely to get rejected by the some of the big players. Then move down the list to the slightly big players, the mid-size, the small-but-solid, the established small, and so on. There are convincing reasons to trunk a book before sending it to a publisher that can't get behind it. A trend might catch on in the future, making this an easier sell. Publish badly and it might not sell at all, which can have damaging long-term effects. There are loads of reasons to be careful.

Wishing your friend all the best with the book, and you in helping her.
    Last edited by VeryBigBeard; 09-02-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryBigBeard View Post

ETA: vis-a-vis editing, you might read through these.
    Oh dear oh dear. Although I would love to know what "running through the woos" actually entails.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Now with more stubble VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    It could be a typo for loos, too. You just never know what people are running through these days.

I didn't read enough to find all the really egregious stuff. I stopped when I realized it was nothing like professional level.

They also can't figure out how to embed links, which looks sloppy and unprofessional, and the free domain site means they're okay with having a really obnoxious ad taking up the bottom inch of the screen. They also have no easy way to buy their books from their site, nor even a direct link to the Amazon pages. They don't really advertise the books very well at all; their "meet the authors" page only gives the titles and the "our books" page is a photo album. I'm not seeing scam, but I am seeing incompetent. Tell your friend to run far, far away.
    "Here is how you do it: You sit down at the computer and you put one word after another until it's done. It's that easy, and that hard." - Neil Gaiman

Twitter

Blogger

Wicked The Devil You Know Devin's book: 73k/80k - second editing pass - Query / Synopsis

October checklist:
    - Fill in holes in Devin's book
    - Two installments of Noah - 1/2
    - Five chapters of AIHB - 4/5

Same thought here. Let some other poor writer be the sacrificial hamster while these folks either learn their business or die in flames.

Again: publishing is not an entry level job.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Romance with Kick-Assitude! Cassie Knight's Avatar
    No way would I trust they would put out the best possible product they can for me as an author. I wouldn't do it now, and as much as I wanted to be published years ago, I wouldn't have then. I value my work, my efforts, too much to put in the hands of someone who thinks genre's is plural. I wish authors would stop thinking publishing is an entry level job and that just because they wrote or published a book or two, they are editors and publishers. For all of the opportunity self-publishing brought for authors, it hurt the industry by letting mostly well-intentioned, but clueless folks hang up their shingles in publishing, editing, cover art, marketing and agenting. Shame.
    Cassiel Knight
    Publisher, Champagne Book Group
    www.champagnebooks.com
    Paranormal Romance with Kick-Assitude!
    www.CassielKnight.com

Thank you for your replies everyone. I took a much different route in the publishing world than she did, so I'm just trying to keep her from getting scammed. I'm still querying agents, and I research everything before I even submit. She originally published with Secret Cravings which just shut down a couple days ago, so she's trying to get her books back out there. I just think she needs to find a reputable company lol.

If she has the rights to her books back, she could also self-publish.

I spoke with her and she decided against them. She's considering self-publishing, but is trying to get in with a publisher first.

I looked inside one book on Amazon. While the prologue (with two narrators) is in plain text, the entire first chapter is in italics. Plus an editor should have caught some of the clichés. But some of the editors are also authors. I'm not impressed.
    Last edited by PVish; 09-04-2015 at 03:22 AM.

checked them out!

Quote Originally Posted by hsavage View Post
    Hi you guys! A friend of mine mentioned this publishing house being interested in her. Me, being the nosy person I am and trying to save her from some of the issues with small press, have been trying to find information on them. I can't find ANYTHING. Opinions or information from signed authors much appreciated.

http://entertwinepub.webs.com/
    Ermm, they use createspace to upload their books. Maybe it's me, but I think they just help writers get their stuff out there. This is not a publishing company, it's more of a 'let me put the information in the website for you' place. I'm not sure why they call themselves a publishing company. Don't you have to be legal to do that and put it on a book? Or should?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: