The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Urg Husband works a 60 hour shift this week. Mon-Sat. He'll be exhausted next week. (His job is pretty stressful and physically demanding) the only good thing about it is the paycheck.

Now that he's gone for the day I get to start mine:
2 hours of transcription (20 mins of talking which amounts to around 3K words)
Proofing project (started this morning)
Client wikki update
emails (and I really wish people would read instructions and follow them. *rolls eyes*
More client posts
Then some laundry/dishes/vacuuming (I do those as a break from what I'm working on.)
and maybe if I'm lucky I get to play some EVE Online (not going to count on it though)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
ION, I have decided that my next novel is only going to have one genre. A publishable one too.

Heh. Good luck with that. ;)

Is a firm believer that most novels are a combination of genres and sub genres. you know like and action/scifi. Or a romantic comedy.

Write what you want to. The genre or subgenre label isn't necessary until it's on the market.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Heh. Good luck with that. ;)

Is a firm believer that most novels are a combination of genres and sub genres. you know like and action/scifi. Or a romantic comedy.

Write what you want to. The genre or subgenre label isn't necessary until it's on the market.

The thing I'm about to finish is a contemporary second world, political thriller, fantasy where the main character is Bi and he basically marries a man with wings because it'll help secure he's political future. There's also three magic systems and three political systems, all of which matter.

It's not romance enough for the M/M market, but it feels too -- there's like four niches here and I doubt a publisher will go for that.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
The thing I'm about to finish is a contemporary second world, political thriller, fantasy where the main character is Bi and he basically marries a man with wings because it'll help secure he's political future. There's also three magic systems and three political systems, all of which matter.

It's not romance enough for the M/M market, but it feels too -- there's like four niches here and I doubt a publisher will go for that.

First, don't self reject.

Second.
So who said you had to go through a publisher?
If you feel there's a niche for it (which there probably is), get the book written, professionally edited, polished and then self-publish.

This is what I'm pretty sure I'm going to do with my sf/urban fantasy series. Still in the research stages, but like you, I doubt I'd get a publisher to bite on a 7 book series or the spinoffs.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
:Hug2: Dammy. Btw, I looked up that Hollow Knight game you mentioned yesterday. Looks cool! Let me know how it is. Also have we ever exchanged Steam names? Cause if not, Imma need your Steam name.

That being said... *puts on excavation gear and flamethrower* I was hoping I'd have more time to dig out the lab, but what must be done... must be done. Lily, if I don't come back, know I did this for your birthday.

Sentient brainslug party hats >:flamethrower< Maxwell

Happy birthday, LilyWhite!
:Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
HUGE HUGS to Dammy and Filigree!

I have historical fiction adventure fantasy romance books that are doing fine... it's not 'typical' romance i.e., bodice-rippers, but does fine in the romance markets. It's not 'epic' fantasy as in wizards and dragons, but it does fine in the fantasy markets. Nothing is pure. All is spectrum.

Stella the Snowstorm is still trying to hit us until 8pm tonight, but it's slowed to a sprinkle for now. We ended up with about a foot and a half of snow, total. No big worries. I shoveled my walk this morning. The plow guy was considerate. I saw him pulling back the plowed pile from behind my car and my neighbors' cars this morning. He makes certain to shove the pile where there are no driveways. He might feel guilty because I came home at 3pm yesterday, and he'd finished the other street on the cul-de-sac, but not mine yet. I was just getting out of my car when he came down to mine. My friends in Binghamton (an hour east) had about 3-4 feet of snow. Basically shut down the county.

A little slushy on some roads this morning, but no big worries.

I got my beta read done yesterday, yay! Now I'm editing my MS with the beta comments I received (same guy). He made some excellent points and suggestions and I'm excited to incorporate them.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Pffft, it's been a nasty week. The entire family is suffering from one infection or other and it seems I'm the weakest of the lot.

I'm so done with being sick. :rant: My body chemistry feels entirely off the rails and I'm getting this strong smell-induced memories of smells that aren't even there. What's up with that?

Still not better, but finally at least able to do more then sleep, cough and drink fluids. Antibiotics leave metallic taste in my mouth, so annoying. Didn't get to enjoy my irisses to the full. Still no frogs. And I missed a lot of the sisyphus-fun. Booh.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
GIANT :Hug2: to those who need hugging.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIL! :partyguy:

I got an Etsy order today but the customer apparently didn't read the item description and thinks I make-to-order and I don't. I sent her a message to try to straighten things out. Keep your fingers crossed that it all works out well.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still feeling off today, but slowly improving. Going to try and list a few things on Ebay (because money) and then nap (because flu recovery). Also taking a poke at the beta comments on the bio-punk. So much writing stuff is behind right now, but I may take a few more days because my brain is still a little sluggy.

Aggy, finally drinking tea again

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Curiously, even though I can't find the desire to write, my characters still keep evolving inside my head.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
The good news - The Fantastic Cora Bignardi (Coragraphics.it)(who has done my covers in the Druid's Brooch and The Enchanted Swans) has agreed to do my Call of the Morrigu cover! Woohoo!

The bad news is that she's so booked that if I want her to do it, I have to put off release date from July to September. But you know what? That's OK - it's a Samhain/October oriented book anyhow with creepy paranormal goodness. It fits better there. And a good cover makes ALL the difference.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
First of all Hugs to Filigree and Dammy

Happy birthday Lilly!

Also, question for SF, do you keep your author persona separate from your freelance persona, or do you leverage them against each other?

I do not keep them separate. The reason I got started in freelance is because I'm an author and the skills I've developed are all centered on writing skills. There's way too much crossover to keep them separate. At least for me anyway. May I inquire as to why you are asking?

I do need to add that I keep my artistic persona separate from the author/freelancer persona. It's a different set of skills with different needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.