The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
The delight of the FFC is writing stories that are short enough to not end up being unfinished HAHAHAHAHAHAWAAAAAAAAAHHHH

*rocks back and forth in the corner*

But, but, but... I always finish my novels. I've started five, and finished five. I have a bit of project completion AR. It helps with my jewelry-making and my writing. Must finish. Not happy until finished. Nervous, flighty, edgy until finished.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
But, but, but... I always finish my novels. I've started five, and finished five. I have a bit of project completion AR. It helps with my jewelry-making and my writing. Must finish. Not happy until finished. Nervous, flighty, edgy until finished.

Shhh, there there. You will finish. *gently rocks GreenDragon back and forth while secretly slipping sedatives into tea.*

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
This may sound sacrilegious, but I have no interest in writing short stories. I'm perfectly happy in my 100K-word-novel world :)
I still just wanna finish a story. Just one. Just so I know I can. Whether it's a short or long story is irrelevant to me.

*is bummed because she has 5 story ideas and doesn't know how to end any of them*

No Wash? :( That's sad. (I mean, the shirt is awesome. But now I'm sad about Wash.)
For a second, I thought you were saying that the shirt couldn't be washed. It wasn't until I had looked all over the page for wash instructions that I saw the comments and realized that Wash is a character. *does not know the Firefly characters*

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I still just wanna finish a story. Just one. Just so I know I can. Whether it's a short or long story is irrelevant to me.

*is bummed because she has 5 story ideas and doesn't know how to end any of them*

For a second, I thought you were saying that the shirt couldn't be washed. It wasn't until I had looked all over the page for wash instructions that I saw the comments and realized that Wash is a character. *does not know the Firefly characters*

Yup. Apparently the shirt only has the characters who survived the movie. But I care not nearly as much about Shepherd Book as I do about Wash.

I'm contemplating subbing something that's probably way too much F to a suspense/thriller imprint. (The Southern Gothic is kind of like Criminal Minds with magic. One part FBI drama, one part, Southern Gothic weirdness, one part fantasy/horror.) It is pretty suspenseful. :p

Aggy, knowing that's a specific genre

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
From life? Writing? Take out food?

With all three, I think it gets clearer as you get older. Though what you want and what will make you happy aren't always the same thing. Often aren't the same, even.

Actually that's not true with take out food. We still have that "what do you want to eat/I don't know, what do you want?" conversation a lot.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
How does anyone ever actually know what they want?

From life? Writing? Take out food?

There's two types of people: people who don't know what they want from take-out food, and people who have had a Double Down from KFC at some point in their life. :greenie

(Well, okay, there's also vegetarians. And people who don't hate themselves.)

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
There's two types of people: people who don't know what they want from take-out food, and people who have had a Double Down from KFC at some point in their life. :greenie

(Well, okay, there's also vegetarians. And people who don't hate themselves.)

I know what I want. I want Chik Fil A. I never get Chik Fil A. The politics of the thing aside (and I do have Opinions), the nearest Chik Fil A is a fifty minute drive away, and in a neighborhood I only visit about three times a year, tops. Too far just to get fast food, and problematic once I get there. Sigh. The anguish I go through for the sake of a really delicious chicken sandwich. I've never had a Double Down. Yes, I know, I'm actually from Kentucky, I've been to the KFC hometown multiple times, I even met the Colonel when I was a little girl. I should be loyal, but I am just underwhelmed by KFC; it's a big who cares.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
With all three, I think it gets clearer as you get older.

I have met 3 year old children who know exactly what they want from McDonalds. They are not scared to throw a fit and tell the rest of the world, too.
:)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I have met 3 year old children who know exactly what they want from McDonalds. They are not scared to throw a fit and tell the rest of the world, too.
:)

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, that one is easier when you're younger. You only have to pick from the three foods you're willing to eat.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
The only way to truly know what you want, when it isn't clear, is to list the things you don't want and work from there.

Or if you have two options, flip a coin. How you feel about the result is what's important, not the result itself.

Let's talk Drugs in Fiction. I was in bed last night just thinking about things, as the brain does, and one line of thought basically arrived at:

"Any portrayal of drugs that is not negative is inherently positive."

Or, there is no neutral ground when it comes to having your characters use drugs, they either fall into a deep dark spiral because drugs are bad, or they are fine because drugs are good. The issue is too political to accurately represent it in fiction. In the real world, drugs can be negative or positive, but they can also just BE. I know people who have wrecked their lives on weed and x, I know people who have saved their marriage with LSD, I know people who occasionally puff on a joint at a party and it doesn't really affect them either way. But that third group is really difficult to write about.

Consider any story, then throw in a takeaway scene at a party or walking along the road or whatever, and the MC casually smokes some weed and gets on with it. The scene is written as if it's just one of those things that happen - it's not trying to be pro- or anti- anything, it's just a small detail of what went down in the story.

It would be confronting, yes? You would expect that to become a plot thread (or pot thread amirite?) and eventually end SOMEWHERE. But my point is, for many people, in their day to day lives, drugs aren't a plot thread. They just exist, as much as the commute to work, or buying fruit on a Thursday when the greengrocer goes door to door. Yet even I would be thinking at the end of that book "Why was that weed smoked? That went nowhere.", and I'm the one bringing this up.

Are you taking a stance simply by including it and having it have no effect? If it has the same outcome as say, a pint of mead at the tavern, then have you effectively sided with the pro-legalization group? By reducing the drug to 'just a thing' (as opposed to "A Big Thing"), you've implied that you don't think it's a big deal.

I don't have anywhere to go with this rant. I just thought it was interesting that writing a neutral drug experience in this day and age seems impossible.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I see where you're going with this, 4burner. For myself, I would not be opposed to writing drugs in a neutral way, as you describing, but I would be cautious. To me, I want to know what purpose such a non-event plays in my story. What does smoking a doob say about my character? Is he the sort of fellow who would casually do drugs, and if so, why? If he's not, why is he hanging with people who do? If I don't have good answers, I wouldn't do it.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Backread which I couldn't do from work, see Lily promo'd the FFC before me. :)

So then naturally, I wrote a character into a story who set a whole city on fire.

There is a really marvelous song that seems to me (since lighting fires is NOT my thing) to really dig into that mindset, called "The City Sleeps" by MC 900ft Jesus. I think this is the youtube link, but can't be absolutely sure over dialup. If I got it wrong, someone rep me to lemme know?

Speaking of which, my ISP may be dying. Having serious problems even getting a connection, much less maintaining it. Either they'll fix it or they're dying as a provider. :(

I worked out a plot line for a short story yesterday. I was quite pleased given that I'd had a week off and I had no tea.

NO TEA?! *gives ali tea*

I think one never really does, but you get better at knowing what you don't want. Or probably I just have no idea.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Good morning, Cantina. *looks at amount of pages to back-read**gives up*
This is the first time I've opened my comp all week. Hope nothing too bad has happened to anyone.

(or pot thread amirite?)
You be very rite! :greenie:

*picks up a smibble and some cake* Goodbye, Cantina.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
so all that muse-leading-me-around-by-the-nose nonsense yesterday? Well, it sorta paid off, in the form of two short story ideas and one flash fiction idea. But I've never written a flash piece before, and I feel like there's no substance to the stupid thing! Am I doing this right?
*shrug* As far as I can tell, flash is right when it has some payout for reading it.

Feeling a bit more sanguine - I looked at the dates on the emails attached to the resumes. Both date from July. *whew*. My boss doesn't do things slowly. If either of them were on the way to being hired, it would have been a done deal by now.

No words written, but I've been working on a beta and marketing for my soon-to-be-released book. I've got enough manuscripts and beta readers that I had to set up a chart to keep track of them. That's a GOOD thing!!!!
*tents fingers* Excellent!

It's fairly tight, I think. The idea is, Dante has been alerted to a bad thing happening, and has set up a trap/ambush to stop the bad thing. We pick up the story mere seconds before the bad thing happens; first sentence is Dante lying in wait (sorta) and counting down. Bad thing starts. It's scary. And bad. Dante triggers trap, bad thing goes away. End of story.

Feel free to point and laugh. Like I said, I'm a flash fiction virgin.
Sounds about right to me, but who am I anyway?

The delight of the FFC is writing stories that are short enough to not end up being unfinished HAHAHAHAHAHAWAAAAAAAAAHHHH

*rocks back and forth in the corner*
No... No, not rocking in corner! Anything but that!

Cool. He's back! :hi:

ETA: I just got the crapped scared out of me by the phone ringing. It rings everyday, multiple times a day. So why did it suddenly startle me this time?

My brain is weird. :crazy:
Every time I've ever owned a phone and it rang, be it cellular or otherwise, I scared the ever-loving crap outta me.

Me too, and none the three tries I've made ever made it to the end... Had to put them away to keep from losing my mind. Stupid characters! For months they won't leave me alone until I write their story, then 50k in they clam up and refuse to budge. I may have time to break out a novel and see what I can do during the holidays.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, that one is easier when you're younger. You only have to pick from the three foods you're willing to eat.
Um, I'm still kinda that way. And my mom's still waiting for me to sleep through the night like the pediatrician promised her I would forty-someodd years ago.

Hi all! My Word program is actually off. It's never off. I've just said to heck with it, and took today for goofing off entirely!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina. Off to dayjob in half an hour.

I've just woken up to a bombshell in my email - from my sister-in-law, sent at 5.29am this morning. She and my brother have separated. He's living temporarily in a Travelodge. I do not know the reason why and I did not see this coming.

The last email I had from both of them was in reply to our parents only three days ago - parents are on holiday in Cornwall, coming back today. It was Robert's birthday on Tuesday and I left a message on their answering machine to wish him happy birthday - didn't get a reply and didn't think a lot of it. In the normal course of things I'd see him for the pub quiz tonight. He's on leave from work this week so I can't get hold of him via his work email so I'll be sending a text. It also looks like he's discontinued his Facebook account. It may be the case that I will be putting him up for a few days (not ideal for him as this is a one-bedroom flat) until he sorts out a more permanent arrangement as to where to live.

So don't really know what to think right now...

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
NO TEA?! *gives ali tea*

Bless you Auntie Zanz

I want a new fence for my house, an unlimited supply of paper and pens, and enough money to get by without struggling to budget or having an excess I can't deal with. Oh, and chocolate.

I've just woken up to a bombshell in my email - from my sister-in-law, sent at 5.29am this morning. She and my brother have separated. He's living temporarily in a Travelodge. I do not know the reason why and I did not see this coming.

So don't really know what to think right now...

Hugs Mr Eye tightly.

You mean you don't know?

*starts handing out name tags*

Since when am I Princess Tinkerbell?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
anybody got a webpage where I could find ideas for magical omens/portents?

ETA: posted this to the larger SF/F forum. Check here.

ETA2: I finally got my copy of Babylon 5 wrestled away from my son (gunplay was not required, but threats of unnamed violence did the trick :D ). And i've decided not to marathon it. I'm going to use it as a reward. For every thousand words I write, I get to watch an episode. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know what I want. I want Chik Fil A. I never get Chik Fil A. The politics of the thing aside (and I do have Opinions), the nearest Chik Fil A is a fifty minute drive away, and in a neighborhood I only visit about three times a year, tops. Too far just to get fast food, and problematic once I get there. Sigh. The anguish I go through for the sake of a really delicious chicken sandwich. I've never had a Double Down. Yes, I know, I'm actually from Kentucky, I've been to the KFC hometown multiple times, I even met the Colonel when I was a little girl. I should be loyal, but I am just underwhelmed by KFC; it's a big who cares.

How to make your own Chick-fil-a

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Let's talk Drugs in Fiction. I was in bed last night just thinking about things, as the brain does, and one line of thought basically arrived at:

"Any portrayal of drugs that is not negative is inherently positive."

I wrote my parents' love story (Better To Have Loved), my first novel. In it, my mom lives in San Francisco in 1968, and got involved in the hippie crowd at Haight-Ashbury. Which she did. I wrote about a psychedelic experience on LSD, which she had (though she had it in Detroit, but I used poetic license). I portrayed it as an Experience, an interesting thing which changed her perspective, but nothing really good or bad. It just was.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What do I want?

- To have a clean house, yet I am unwilling to clean it (and my house-husband is suffering from Lyme Disease Treatment, akin to chemo)
- To adopt kids - working on it!
- To have a bestselling novel - working on it!
- To have immortality - true immortality, unlikely. However, if my books and adopted kids work out, maybe figurative immortality.
- To be able to travel the world without worrying about budget - highly unlikely. Unless I'm the next JK Rowling, which I am not.
- To eat as much as I want of whatever I want and still have a smoking body - yeah, right. I can't even get a smoking body while dieting and exercising every day. I can't even get below a size 18. I'm just happy I can comfortably travel in airline seats finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.