The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
*wipes tear from eye* Oh dear god, I just watched the funniest episode of Stargate SG-1 I've ever seen. As in, I was laughing uncontrollably five minutes *after* the episode was over, and for most of the episode at that. If any of you want a SF version of Groundhog Day (but much funnier, in my opinion), check out the season 4 episode titled, "Window Of Opportunity". Seriously. I'm actually tempted to re-watch that episode right now, which I've never done before (not right away, at least).

*walks away, giggling and grinning like a maniac*

That was a hilarious episode, as I recall. I just recently watched a Librarian's Groundhog Day episode... which now makes me wonder, does every Scifi show have to do a version of this? Is there a requirement somewhere, an infernal contract? The crappy part about the Librarian one is that he forgot all the stuff he learned through his thousands of repeats :(

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats on the Hoplittle!!!!

As you might be able to tell, I'm done moving (but not unpacking), and have the comp set up. Slept in the new house last night. Love the cave-like darkness!

Cats are testing all the surfaces. And there are many. We have boxes stacked up like Macchu Picchu here. Because I had started packing in November, presuming I'd be doing the moving. Which meant lots of little, odd-shaped boxes plucked from the back of Dollar Tree stores during the Christmas rush. However, the pro movers then packed these little boxes into big towering wardrobe boxes. So... one wardrobe box could contain little boxes, each labeled with different things - beads, kitchen, bathroom, office, etc. This should be so much FUN. Oh, and the old house was 2100 sf, this one is 1400. Three bathrooms down to one, and the kitchen is 1/3 the size of the old one. ON the other hand, basement is one big man cave, a spare bedroom and another big storage room, plus the garage. So... room, just not main floor room.

Needless to say, no writing done these few days... must go unpack more now :)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My husband messed up my organization system when we moved. I'd label things like Kitchen - Critical; Kitchen - NonCritical, etc. He labeled things Kitchen. Did not help with the prioritization of unpacking. And I shall forevermore repeat the lesson we learned: Never do a house swap with someone. It was horrific. Probably mostly because hubs aunt and uncle were not prepared. I don't think they thought we were really going to buy the house even after we signed all the papers. Hubs says we are never moving again.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
One of these years I shall make it down to DragonCon (which is actually pretty close to me). But when I asked one of the more experienced local authors about going he said "It's a lot of fun, but be careful as a newbie author or it will eat you alive." (What's really funny, is last year he asked me about going and I was like "I'm not sure I'm ready yet." and he said "Oh, you should go." And I said "But you warned me it would eat me if I wasn't careful," and he was like "Yeah. I did. But it's still a lot of fun.")

Effby: Ratchet & Clank are the best games. *smiles fondly remembering the Sheepinator* I haven't a PlayStation in a while though. (Sold my PS2 to pay off the electric bill six years ago. Because I'm an adult. ) I still own a GameCube because I haven't yet finished the last Zelda game they released for the GameCube.

Slept in a little bit. Up drinking tea. Suspecting that my milk has turned because the tea tastes off. (Have a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cupboard for emergencies such as this, but too sleepy still to get up and make a second cup.) Going to word for a bit. And hopefully later too as I have a lot to get done.

Aggy, won't be losing her geek card over Legend of Zelda

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Dragoncon is All The Things. It is intense, it is incredible, it is everything. I've been going since 2002, I think. 5 days of an 80,000-strong geekgasm. Nerdigras. Comic-con is bigger, at 300,000, but has two major differences. 1. Comic-con is industry-run, Dragoncon is fan-run. 2. Comic-con is in a convention center, which means it shuts down at 6pm, and everyone scatters to various hotels around the city. Dragoncon is held AT the 5 downtown hotels in Atlanta, all right next to each other, so the party is 24/7.

There are about 40 'tracks'. Tracks are fandoms, like Alternate History (includes Steampunk), Whedonvers, Star Trek, British SciFi, Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Dragonriders of Pern, Tolkein, Paranormal, Space Science, Art, Costuming, etc. Each track is running panels through the entire Con. For instance, the British Scifi might hold fan a panel during the day about New Dr. Who vs. Classic Dr. Who, or the Science of Daleks, and perhaps a recap of Orphan Black, and then run screenings of classic Monty Python at night.

There are Miss Klingon Beauty Pagaents, a Rocky Horror Picture Show show, concerts (Cruxshadows and Emerald Rose are usually there), etc. There is a huge art show (over 250 artists), a comic book art show, a HUGE dealer's area in the Americasmart down the street (prob 400+ vendors?), two exhibition halls, a Walk of Fame where you can meet and greet the stars, signings, readings, mega-panels with the big stars (William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were at one two years ago and it was great!).

You can meet the authors as well. I met Jim Butcher last year, and have met Anne McCaffrey several times (even did a writing workshop with her son, Todd McCaffrey), ran into Diana Gabaldon, literally, as she came off an elevator, and helped her find her hotel, even met Betty Ballantine (started Ballantine books). Stars or all around. I've met Adrian Paul (Highlander), Ioan Gryffud, Edward James Olmos, Michael Dorn, Malcolm McDowell, George Takei, Sylvester McCoy, Jewel Staite, Ron Glass, Morena Baccarin, Nichelle Nichols, John Delancie, David Carradyne, lots of others I can't think of now.
Nope, because all of that is in the city of Nopelandia, in the country of Hellno, on the planet of Aintnoway. Just reading about all of that makes my anxiety spike. Between my fear of crowds and propensity to be star struck, I'd me no more than a gibbering mass on the floor.

We are not alone! I'm aware of Zelda, but never played it.
Awareness is fine. I had no clue what Archer even was, hence the debate of knowing about the basics of a major genre vs knowing a specific of a genre.

That was a hilarious episode, as I recall. I just recently watched a Librarian's Groundhog Day episode... which now makes me wonder, does every Scifi show have to do a version of this? Is there a requirement somewhere, an infernal contract? The crappy part about the Librarian one is that he forgot all the stuff he learned through his thousands of repeats :(
Same reason every cop/lawyer show eventually does "Strangers on a Train". They want to try to get away with it.

Congrats on the Hoplittle!!!!

As you might be able to tell, I'm done moving (but not unpacking), and have the comp set up. Slept in the new house last night. Love the cave-like darkness!

Cats are testing all the surfaces. And there are many. We have boxes stacked up like Macchu Picchu here. Because I had started packing in November, presuming I'd be doing the moving. Which meant lots of little, odd-shaped boxes plucked from the back of Dollar Tree stores during the Christmas rush. However, the pro movers then packed these little boxes into big towering wardrobe boxes. So... one wardrobe box could contain little boxes, each labeled with different things - beads, kitchen, bathroom, office, etc. This should be so much FUN. Oh, and the old house was 2100 sf, this one is 1400. Three bathrooms down to one, and the kitchen is 1/3 the size of the old one. ON the other hand, basement is one big man cave, a spare bedroom and another big storage room, plus the garage. So... room, just not main floor room.

Needless to say, no writing done these few days... must go unpack more now :)
Boo for no writing. Yay for being in new home with awesome mancave.

My husband messed up my organization system when we moved. I'd label things like Kitchen - Critical; Kitchen - NonCritical, etc. He labeled things Kitchen. Did not help with the prioritization of unpacking. And I shall forevermore repeat the lesson we learned: Never do a house swap with someone. It was horrific. Probably mostly because hubs aunt and uncle were not prepared. I don't think they thought we were really going to buy the house even after we signed all the papers. Hubs says we are never moving again.
We're good for that, the messing up of organization systems. I don't want to ever move again, but depending on how all of this side training goes, it may be inevitable.

Effby: Ratchet & Clank are the best games. *smiles fondly remembering the Sheepinator* I haven't a PlayStation in a while though. (Sold my PS2 to pay off the electric bill six years ago. Because I'm an adult. ) I still own a GameCube because I haven't yet finished the last Zelda game they released for the GameCube.
Do you mean Twilight Princess?

Slept in a little bit. Up drinking tea. Suspecting that my milk has turned because the tea tastes off. (Have a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cupboard for emergencies such as this, but too sleepy still to get up and make a second cup.) Going to word for a bit. And hopefully later too as I have a lot to get done.
Eww, hope it doesn't make you ill. Have fun wording!

ION: I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go. Can't wait to get done so I can come home and go to bed.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Hello, Cantina, I have done nothing today. I would regret it, but then I'd be doing something.

*mentally calls a smibble to bring him a bottle of vodka and a bottle of irish cream, pours vodka on feet and screams, pours Irish cream in hot chocolate and drinks* Better now.
Great! :greenie Now remember not to try to get up and pace.

I may have been gone for a bit, but I've been around long enough. :p
To learn that what we do is learn?

But my diamond level. :(
Yeah... but what you gonna do?

Actually he has very good reasons. I'm being groomed for such a position as a lay minister and probably going into a full pastoralship position in a year or so.
<_<
>_>
Uh... It's a only a good reason because you let it be!

YAY! Babies are full of the awesome! The problem is that they then grow up and spend 8 to 11 years as Grr Monkeys.
BABIES! Grr Monkeys! Yay! Well, some Grr Monkeys are yay, some are grrr, but babies are all yay.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Stanley: Yes. Twilight Princess. I've only played the very first bit of it. (Like the point where he goes off to find a missing kid, I think.) Or maybe that's Ocarina of Time? That one I played all the way through and LOVED. But current adult world does not have time for video games, so the GameCube sits on a shelf waiting for me to be rich enough or old enough to have nothing better to do. :p

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
Stanley: Yes. Twilight Princess. I've only played the very first bit of it. (Like the point where he goes off to find a missing kid, I think.) Or maybe that's Ocarina of Time? That one I played all the way through and LOVED. But current adult world does not have time for video games, so the GameCube sits on a shelf waiting for me to be rich enough or old enough to have nothing better to do. :p
That's TP, OoT doesn't have any missing kids that I recall. Could you perhaps play it with Monkey?

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Happy Saturday, Cantina!

Words will happen today!

Unless you're driving on the sidewalk. :evil
LOL. That reminds me of what my dad says sometimes. "If you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk." :p

YAY! Babies are full of the awesome!
They're also full of the poo. Literally. ;)

Tell me the C was from Contra.
The C was Pacman. Here, I found a website that sells the exact same one, so you can see it: http://www.levelupstudios.com/coexist-sticker

Dragoncon is All The Things. It is intense, it is incredible, it is everything. I've been going since 2002, I think. 5 days of an 80,000-strong geekgasm. Nerdigras. Comic-con is bigger, at 300,000, but has two major differences. 1. Comic-con is industry-run, Dragoncon is fan-run. 2. Comic-con is in a convention center, which means it shuts down at 6pm, and everyone scatters to various hotels around the city. Dragoncon is held AT the 5 downtown hotels in Atlanta, all right next to each other, so the party is 24/7.

There are about 40 'tracks'. Tracks are fandoms, like Alternate History (includes Steampunk), Whedonvers, Star Trek, British SciFi, Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Dragonriders of Pern, Tolkein, Paranormal, Space Science, Art, Costuming, etc. Each track is running panels through the entire Con. For instance, the British Scifi might hold fan a panel during the day about New Dr. Who vs. Classic Dr. Who, or the Science of Daleks, and perhaps a recap of Orphan Black, and then run screenings of classic Monty Python at night.

There are Miss Klingon Beauty Pagaents, a Rocky Horror Picture Show show, concerts (Cruxshadows and Emerald Rose are usually there), etc. There is a huge art show (over 250 artists), a comic book art show, a HUGE dealer's area in the Americasmart down the street (prob 400+ vendors?), two exhibition halls, a Walk of Fame where you can meet and greet the stars, signings, readings, mega-panels with the big stars (William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were at one two years ago and it was great!).

You can meet the authors as well. I met Jim Butcher last year, and have met Anne McCaffrey several times (even did a writing workshop with her son, Todd McCaffrey), ran into Diana Gabaldon, literally, as she came off an elevator, and helped her find her hotel, even met Betty Ballantine (started Ballantine books). Stars or all around. I've met Adrian Paul (Highlander), Ioan Gryffud, Edward James Olmos, Michael Dorn, Malcolm McDowell, George Takei, Sylvester McCoy, Jewel Staite, Ron Glass, Morena Baccarin, Nichelle Nichols, John Delancie, David Carradyne, lots of others I can't think of now.
Kewl. :)

Nope, because all of that is in the city of Nopelandia, in the country of Hellno, on the planet of Aintnoway. Just reading about all of that makes my anxiety spike. Between my fear of crowds and propensity to be star struck, I'd me no more than a gibbering mass on the floor.
If I was to go to a Con like that, I'd have to have a game plan for sure, but I think I'd do ok. I'm not afraid of crowds or anything like that. Would I be the most sociable person there? Heck-to-the-no. But as long as I had someone I knew with me to share in the fun and there was stuff I wanted to see, I'd be fine. I'd probably be super tired by the end of the day, though.

Meeting a bunch of celebrities on the other hand... I probably wouldn't recognize half of them (I don't know half the names GD listed) and the ones I did recognize would have to be super nice and friendly, and in the case of male celebrities, not super cute and close to my age, for me to be able to open my mouth and talk without becoming a gibbering mass on the floor. Take Sylvester McCoy for example. He's old, he seems nice from what I've seen of him, and I know who he is. I could handle him. Someone like Lee Pace? No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no *turns into puddle of blushing, gibbering goo just thinking about it*

We are not alone! I'm aware of Zelda, but never played it.
This. Heard of it, never played it.

I agree, how did you not know?? :) I've lipsynced to this :)
I'd like to see that. :greenie

I can attest to this. And they drive RIGHT next to you. Like 2 inches away. In front, behind, and on each side. No sense of personal car space.
Around here you just get the drivers who ride your bumper even though you're doing the speed limit, and then speed around you and down the road even though it was a no-passing zone.

I just recently watched a Librarian's Groundhog Day episode... which now makes me wonder, does every Scifi show have to do a version of this? Is there a requirement somewhere, an infernal contract? The crappy part about the Librarian one is that he forgot all the stuff he learned through his thousands of repeats :(
I saw that episode. I was frustrated by him forgetting the stuff he learned too. :(

Yeah, it does seem to be a common thing. TV Tropes even has a page about it.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Which is why my husband, who has come every year since 2004, couldn't go this year. Either his Lyme Disease or more likely, the medications treating either his Lyme or Fibromyalgia, have given him an intense crowd anxiety. More than 10 people in a restaurant make him itchy. He knows he couldn't handle DC right now. It is grand fun, but not for those that can't handle crowds. Just waiting in line to meet Jim Butcher was crowded, as they Disney-lined it back and forth in one room. But you get to know all the people in line :) Hopefully the husband's anxiety will ease when the Lyme is killed off. We shall see. It removes his input filters. Before, he would assess each person he saw - their background, threat level, interaction possibilities. He used to be able to filter out those people he wasn't directly interacting with to some extent. Now he can no longer do that, so has way too much informational overload on a constant basis. He starts looking like a cat in a rocking chair showroom.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I was to go to a Con like that, I'd have to have a game plan for sure, but I think I'd do ok. I'm not afraid of crowds or anything like that. Would I be the most sociable person there? Heck-to-the-no. But as long as I had someone I knew with me to share in the fun and there was stuff I wanted to see, I'd be fine. I'd probably be super tired by the end of the day, though.

Meeting a bunch of celebrities on the other hand... I probably wouldn't recognize half of them (I don't know half the names GD listed) and the ones I did recognize would have to be super nice and friendly, and in the case of male celebrities, not super cute and close to my age, for me to be able to open my mouth and talk without becoming a gibbering mass on the floor. Take Sylvester McCoy for example. He's old, he seems nice from what I've seen of him, and I know who he is. I could handle him. Someone like Lee Pace? No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no *turns into puddle of blushing, gibbering goo just thinking about it*

The Walk of Fame helps out with that. Behind each star's table is the name and posters of who/what they played. For instance, when I met Tony Curran, he had posters of himself as Datak Tarr in Defiance, as well as himself as Van Gogh in Dr. Who :) It REALLY helps when the star is someone who has a lot of makeup, such as a klingon in Star Trek. Or a costume, like Big Bird (I met Caroll Spinney last year, he was VERY nice).

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd like to see that. :greenie

I saw that episode. I was frustrated by him forgetting the stuff he learned too. :(

Yeah, it does seem to be a common thing. TV Tropes even has a page about it.

Nope, nope, nope, you can't see it, all copies were destroyed with great prejudice and forethought! :p

TV Tropes, like Pinterest, is a time-suck I have thus far avoided. Don't suck me in! I'm bad enough on Etymonline.com.

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
I think maybe we should revisit the No Zelda No Geek Card rule I arbitrarily instituted...

Hey, you're a Deku girl maybe a foot smaller than me, and I've got to get you to your dad.

...Hold on, I've got a bottle here.
That's the only way I can think of to get you the couple hundred meters back to your dad's palace.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

GD I'll probably be attending DragonCon in a few years when we move to Georgia to help out with B's dad. Got to stay here just another year and a half so the youngest is educated and out on his own. (although he's been taking care of himself pretty well over the past year--job and everything.) Oldest has plans on moving to Mass next year to be with his girlfriend. (will see how that goes) Youngest is planning on going to mechanic school in Arizona next year (will probably be a world of good on his allergies) So that leaves me with an empty next. What better way to combat that distress then to move! (yes I'm nuts)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's dangerous to go alone.

Take this.

That was a hilarious episode, as I recall. I just recently watched a Librarian's Groundhog Day episode... <snip>The crappy part about the Librarian one is that he forgot all the stuff he learned through his thousands of repeats :(

I agree it's frustrating to see him forget everything, but I will say that this episode is second only to the Christmas episode last season in it's tugging on the heartstrings. Witnessing the potential of Jones and the depth that we now know how much he cares for everyone makes the think we'll see more character growth in the future. Season 2 wasn't quite as snappy as Season 1, but I'm overjoyed that they already renewed it.

Morning, gang.

Whut up?

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Cantina!

Woo! Only one page to read since my last visit. I'm going to see an old coworker today. My tech buddy from the old office job is going to see if he can recover my pictures from the SD card in my phone. It decided to crap the bed the other day. I really want my pictures.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree it's frustrating to see him forget everything, but I will say that this episode is second only to the Christmas episode last season in it's tugging on the heartstrings. Witnessing the potential of Jones and the depth that we now know how much he cares for everyone makes the think we'll see more character growth in the future. Season 2 wasn't quite as snappy as Season 1, but I'm overjoyed that they already renewed it.

Yeah. I got drawn into the show because of the movies, and my long-time crush on Noah Wyle (from ER days). I stayed for John Laroquette and Christian Kane :)

I unpacked two big wardrobe sized boxes today, filled by the movers with the little boxes I had previously packed (about 6-8 per big box). Had a couple 'really???' moments. Like when they packed my big full sheet of matboard and bent it into a corner. Sigh. At least it was a smooth bend, and might be salvageable with several days' worth of unbending.

Now I'm giving my hips a break from the bending-and-lifting to putz around on the comp. Only 2 big wardrobe boxes left in my craft room, one medium box and two smaller boxes. Of course, that doesn't take into account the 100 more boxes in the basement/garage. Not exaggerating. The final box count was 189, and most of those big boxes with 5-6 smaller boxes inside, only counting as one on the mover's list.

Anyone want to come help me unpack??? Maybe the smibbles can help... wait, no, the quality of help wouldn't be too good with the smibbles, I fear. Probably about as much help as the kittens are being. And about as much as my husband is being, since he's enjoying the fast internet speed by playing LOTRO down in his man cave.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Got the co-written story finished. Other author made a few tweaks and subbed it. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to hear back on whether or not it's been accepted. (Specific market, so if they don't want it, it's not like it can be sold elsewhere because of the shared universe component.) Also sent more business emails. Awkward ones, I fear, but I'm trying hard to squelch my apologetic streak when it comes to talking to editors about my work. And then I worry I sound too cold and pushy. >_<

Oh, well. I had a snack. Now time for another one (because it's cold) and some words.

Aggy, retreating to her writing cave (mentally)

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

So many things are in that place for me. XD

ION, I was at work today, and basically did nothing but accidentally shift the tracks of my train of thought to my MMO idea. Actually made quite a bit of progress. So I'm gonna steer into the skid and maybe the flame will burn out a bit faster so I can get back to other stuff.

Like, no publisher or studio would touch this with a ten foot pool, or even touch a 10-foot-pole that might touch it. It's far too off the beaten path. And you couldn't even be too specific in the promo material, because a huge part of it is based on secrets and controlling the flow of information to gain advantage.

Think like if you combined Myst with Dragon Age with Mass Effect with Fallout. And then make it 40 times crazier and weirder and bigger.

I thought about posting a thread for it in the games section, but that place seems dead. I'm not sure if the Sandbox or here would be appropriate places to tackle the world-building? It's fairly similar to prose world-building, but the gaming aspects might seem a bit odd or out of place?

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

I was disappointed that he forgot everything, but if he remembered, his character would naturally undergo transformation and wouldn't be the same any more. So I figured they wrote it that way so they wouldn't have to change Jones himself.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that Union Station, Chicago, is one of the least comfortable transit stations I've been the inside of in a while? (wishes for smibble-pile)

On a brighter note, other than losing my cell phone, train trip has been good. Lots of scenery, made progress on my Sissyphys story, was unusually conversational with strange people.

Status
Not open for further replies.