Status
Not open for further replies.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
Morning(ish) all. Got to meet eyeblink at the T-party yesterday, which was great. As usual it was really useful and interesting. Must polish up something so that I can submit to the group. The meetings always leave me very fired up!

Except... I have to write a grant today because the deadline is next Wednesday. It's about 3/4 done but it needs to go out to be read by other people on Monday. And my lectures start Monday so I need to check through the slides.

And what my mind is actually doing is constantly flipping back to January, when I was in Paris as the last spate of terrorist attacks happened. Please stop, brain.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Dreams are weird. One moment, you can have an absolutely-unpleasant wake-up-with-a-shout leave-you-shuddering nightmare. Then you go back to sleep and end up in a dream you know is a dream because you're at the mall and there's a cartoon character you had a crush on there, and she even flirts with you when she tries to ask for advice and all you can say is "I don't even know what to say here..."

And that's what possibly-sleep-deprived lily has to say this morning. You may return to your non-nonsensical Sunday morning activities.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Today is laaaazyy Sunday, am still wearing jammies and everything.

Still have to vacuum and mop some floors.
According to my mother, that's our to-do-list every day. :greenie

I just realized, the way things are currently set up, unless I can figure out a way around it, a spell one character casts on another character in my WIP, is probably going to need actual (preferably vague in meaning) words. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. :Headbang:
... Foreign language?

"Before you ask, no, I don't work the kootch, I don't work the notch, I'm not interested in a date, and if you think you can convince me to change my mind, just remember that my brother works the At. Not that I'd need his help breaking you into half a dozen crunchy little pieces. So if getting fresh is what you have in mind, get it off your mind while you can still walk away under your own steam."

("Kootch" is carnival slang for a stripper show. "The notch" is slang for a brothel. "Working the At" means he is in the Athletic show, probably as a boxer or wrestler).
Are you going to put a dictionary in the back?

BTW: score one for me over Novella Dude. I did my research and got my terminology and period language right (more or less, first draft, after all). That puts me ahead in points. Yes, I'm being petty about it. No, I don't intend to stop. What's the fun of being a grown up if you can't act childish every once in a while?
That's exactly the point of being an adult.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Only online for a minute. But I just have to celebrate. I'm now reading a short story collection that is everything Novella Dude wishes he could be. This is about a redneck hunting monsters. A quote for your entertainment and edification: "Strippers have an uncomplicated view of life. You give them money, they show you boobies. I have a similarly uncomplicated view of life: monsters need to be killed, I kill 'em"

I just love that. I have been reading out quotes to my family all morning (I restrained myself during church).

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Heh, sounds good Junely.

I discovered today that to be an apothecarist in the 17th century you needed an iron stomach. I'll spare you because this isn't the 'vomit your lunch into next week' forum, but leeches are the nice bit.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Heh, sounds good Junely.

I discovered today that to be an apothecarist in the 17th century you needed an iron stomach. I'll spare you because this isn't the 'vomit your lunch into next week' forum, but leeches are the nice bit.
Leeches and maggots are becoming fashionable again!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Baking another Sweet Potato Pie. Also experimenting with a Ginger Custard Pie. Never made a proper custard before, so I'm worried I might have broken it during the stove top part, but we'll see.

Think I might have figured this short story out. Now I just need to get all the pieces written out and then see what it looks like.

Aggy, practicing Christmas baking

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
So I have this evil, evil beta reader from Brooklyn, whom I adore platonically, and who has regularly forced me to become a better writer. She also likes messing with my brain. Today she sent me a link to a RL image possibility for a main character when he was much younger. Character is clueless but mostly good, a switch with a thing for pain and floating off into subspace if his doms will let him. A fluffy ball of angsty PTSD on his bad days. RL person is a thorough criminal whom I won't name here, but completely deserves the death penalty. And now I can't write about my MC without seeing that other person, and I have 40K of sequel to get through...

And Brooklyn did it intentionally. She said "You did say MC was framed for horrific criminal acts when he was younger. That can't be bribed or scrubbed away now that he's infamous for other things. People are going to be looking at him this way, and you need to show how that breaks him or makes him stronger."

Beta readers, oy.

In other news, finishing up some hilarious and gorgeous award ribbons, cooking comfort food, ignoring housework, and slurping chai. It's rainy and cold for central AZ today, I'm resisting going 3 miles to the store.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Evening, Cantina. Hope everyone had a nice Sunday! All that I have to say will get said in response to the multiquote, so allow me to use this space to share this One Man "Into the Woods" Medly video instead. I thought it was purty good, and when I showed it to my mom, she actually applauded at the end. :D

And also I found this cute thing with cats and books, and what could be better than that? http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/advice/a21742/cats-who-read/

Two people were betas last year. This makes you honour-bound not to join in the guessing thread, but does mean you get to read a lot of the stories before the thread even opens. They were really helpful, and as a participant it was great knowing that you could approach someone and they wouldn't refuse to read, or you weren't hanging about waiting for someone to respond in the 'I need a reader' thread. Most of us couldn't approach people we normally would because they might have been writing for us and couldn't reciprocate.

Honestly, you write these things in such a rush, you don't want a 'professional' edit. You want someone to tell you that the MC had an unexplained sex-change in the middle of act 2, and now Michael is Michaela because you were typing so fast and didn't spot when you swapped from 'he' to 'she'. And the person who dropped the tranquiliser gun when the door sprang back in their face somehow managed to shoot the vampire chicken four paragraphs later because you forgot they dropped it (that actually happened to me two years ago). Simple stuff, forget professional, just stop me from making an idiot of myself.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep this in mind when I make my final decision. While this information makes me slightly more tempted to volunteer as a beta, it occurred to me as soon as I posted that SSFFSSS (*counts letters* *shrugs*) will be happening at the same time as me trying to make my goal of finishing my retelling by the end on the year sooo...I dunno. We'll see.

Also, good thoughts for your friend EFB. I hope she's ok.
Thank you. My friend was at church today and she was fine. She said she was in Paris at the time of the attack, but she wasn't anywhere near the attack itself. She and her husband had wanted to see the Eiffel Tower one more time before they left, but after the attack happened they were like, "Forget that! We're leaving NOW!" and they caught first flight back to the U.S on Saturday morning. She said the airport back here at home was swarming with reporters who wanted to talk to the passengers since that plane literally was the first one to come back from Paris since the attack, but my friend and her husband just said, "Nope, not talking to you. It took two hours just to get through airport security and we're not waiting any longer to go home."

Don't let that detail stall you, make something up in the short run. Or, it could be gesture-based, so you only have to vaguely describe some movement of the hands.
I'm in the same boat with my current novel! I think I'm just going to avoid using words at all for the spell :tongue
Sooo, I was thinking about this during my ride home from church, generally staring out the window and lamenting my predicament, and I realized that I might be trying too hard on the scene with the spell in it. In fact, as much as I like it, I think I might not need the scene at all, and I should try starting my story somewhere else.

I usually like to show more than tell, hence the reason I had this scene, a short prologue of sorts, in the first place. I know some people hate prologues, but I've read plenty of books with them, and I've never had a problem with them. But in the case of this story, I think it will be best to "kill my darlings" by deleting the prologue, and just drop bits of the information I was going to have in it in strategic places through the rest of the story instead. This means I'm essentially starting the story all over again. *excessively dramatic, slightly annoyed sigh* :(

BTW: score one for me over Novella Dude. I did my research and got my terminology and period language right (more or less, first draft, after all). That puts me ahead in points. Yes, I'm being petty about it. No, I don't intend to stop. What's the fun of being a grown up if you can't act childish every once in a while?

ETA: I have no feeling in my fingers. They're too darned cold! Did my shopping run this afternoon, and have spent all evening chopping, portioning, freezing, and otherwise prepping foodstuffs for storage. Chopping up cold veggies makes my fingers feel both pruney AND frostbitten.
Have you tried fingerless gloves? I made myself a pair with this free pattern and they are the best thing EVAH when my hands are cold but I still have stuff to do that requires my fingers, like typing. I'm wearing them right now. :)

I love it when the world starts coming together without any effort from you. Things just start falling into place.
I love that too.
:e2fish:

Cantina, I am floundering. (geddit)
*groan*

ETA: My writing desk is an old computer desk and the top is cold. It's horrid to use on a cold day as it just sucks all teh warmth right out of my fingers. I am going to buy / make a tablecloth, because this is ridiculous.
See my response to Junely about the fingerless gloves.

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Just had my first Monte Cristo sandwich. It tasted fine, but I don't think I ever want one again as I'm pretty sure I can feel my arteries hardening from all the grease and sugar.

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever heard of a Monte Cristo sandwich from Kitchen Nightmares.

It was unappealing-looking enough without having looked up what a Monte Cristo sandwich actually is.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, I imagine a lot of things look unappealing on Kitchen Nightmares. :p

Monte Cristo sandwiches aren't too unusual, really. It's ham, turkey, and swiss cheese (I don't like ham so I just did the turkey and cheese) on white bread. You coat it in an egg/milk mixture, fry it, put powdered sugar on top, and eat it with raspberry jam on the side as dipping sauce.

Like I said, I'm probably never going to eat one again.

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
The thought of "French toast with meat and cheese inside and sugar on top" was o_O enough without the thought of dipping that into jam.

So yeah, o_O.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Now I'm just wondering if the name of the sandwich is related in any way to "The Count of Monty Cristo".

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
If you like sweet and savory together Monte Cristo is good. Although I've only had them with actual syrup, not jam. You can do them as an open faced sandwich pretty easily which cuts down on the parts that are fried.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
The origins of a sandwich are a mystery even to the internet (or at least the first four or so sources I checked). But it's apparently a variation of an even madder sandwich called a croque-monsieur.

I mean, just look at it! Cheese on the outside of the sandwich!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I think there's a croque-madame out there too but I'm too sleepy from Turkey and grease and sugar overload to look it up.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
A croque-madame is a croque-monsieur with a fried egg on top.

Now I'm just picturing someone lifting the egg up and putting it down over and over, going "Monsieur, madame, monsieur, madame..." until one of those British guards punches them out like on The Simpsons.

Addendum: Oh wait, it wasn't even one of those British guards at all, it was a U.S. marine and Homer thought they were like one of those British guards at first. Clap clap, lily. :e2hammer:

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Just had my first Monte Cristo sandwich. It tasted fine, but I don't think I ever want one again as I'm pretty sure I can feel my arteries hardening from all the grease and sugar.

That was my reaction the one time I had a Monte Cristo. That was good, I don't ever want to do that again. It's kind of a strange thing.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina. I'm in my hotel room in Harrogate, and have to check out by 11. Then I'll be going over to another hotel to meet some others (two of whom I've not met before in person) before going on to the funeral service.

Small world syndrome: at breakfast there were about ten people (one woman, all the others men) from the same company I work for - I could tell from their company-branded clothing. So presumably there's a meeting or suchlike in this hotel today. No one I knew personally, of course, given that I'm based in Hampshire and I'm currently in Yorkshire.

So I have just under an hour and a half before checking out, so I can write, or read, or watch daytime TV, or some combination thereof.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Despite the lack of a formal day job, I still find Mondays to be a drag. Monkey, of course, has school on the weekdays which means an early rise for me.

Frustrated this morning too. Almost no time to write over the weekend. I would have liked to have more done with NaNo this year, but I'm more concerned about the slow progress on this book than not making NaNoWriMo goals. Maybe I can make up for it in the last half of this month. Ideally, I want to be at the halfway point on this project by Christmas - only another 30-40k. Bah.

Getting antsy about all the stuff on submission to. Maybe we'll hear something good this week.

Aggy, tea and cinnamon rolls

Status
Not open for further replies.