AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

practical experience, FTW greendragon's Avatar
    Happy birthday, EFB!!!

DONE DONE DONE! First draft of Misfortune of Song is DONE! Clocked in at 78,993 words, and DONE! I started the first draft 3/23/17. 7 weeks - not too shabby! And this is the first first draft I've done that I don't feel like I've got a 'boggy middle'. Of course, that could just be fooling myself!

Ugh. Now for the hard part. Blurb and tagline.

Critiques?

Blurb:
    All Maelan wants is to do his duty to his Chief and maintain his family’s good name. His granddaughter Orlagh, however, is hell bent on ruining everything. After the Fae get involved, he is backed into a corner. In the end, he may have to choose between her happiness and her life.

Taglines:

Could you choose between life and happiness?
    Maelan must make some difficult decisions to save his granddaughter’s life, but can he save her happiness as well?

Happy Birthday, EFB!

Congrats on finishing, GD!
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

Red Riding Hood retelling - Chapter One (revising)
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Thanks guys. You're right, and you're the best and once again I'm so grateful to have this place of encouragement. Writing is a lonely hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    DONE DONE DONE! First draft of Misfortune of Song is DONE! Clocked in at 78,993 words, and DONE! I started the first draft 3/23/17. 7 weeks - not too shabby! And this is the first first draft I've done that I don't feel like I've got a 'boggy middle'. Of course, that could just be fooling myself!
    Yippeeeee!!!!! I find this so encouraging!

Today, you guys. Just. To-day.... *shakes head*
    -Twitter of fear and loathing and incredible shyness!

Quote Originally Posted by griffins View Post
    Happy Birthday, Effby!.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiddlywinks View Post
    Happy Birthday, EFB!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Damoclian View Post
    Today, you guys. Just. To-day.... *shakes head*

Happy birthday, EFB!!!

Thank you!

And also CONGRATS!

Among other lovely birthday presents, I now own and have FINALLY seen Moana. You guys, it was so sweet and pretty and wonderful! I definitely recommend giving it a watch if you haven't already!
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Fantasy - Working title: "In Dreams They Came" -- 75,753 words & counting!
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)
    Snow White Retelling -- FINISHED!!! Now for edits. dun Dun DUN!

Twitter of sparkles | Etsy | Goodreads | Pinterest | Instagram of sparkles

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

My newest book is starting to take shape now. It's the first one I've written with the chapters not in chronological order. Anyone else have experience with this?
    Book 1 in my YA Fantasy series, 'A Darker Shade of Sorcery' is FREE.

Pick up a copy here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Thank You

Evan Umbra is the newest Venator to enter Veneseron, the school for demon hunters.

A Venator is a wizard, a spy and a demon hunter rolled into one. They’re taught how to wield their sorcery and enchanted weaponry by orcs, elfpires and aliens alike...

Will, do you mean you're writing the chapters out of order, or...??? I've written out of order plenty of times.but I don't know that I can give any helpful hints for how to do that since it kinda just...happens.

Mornin Cantina. Not sure about my schedule today. I'll try to get words done and write a GR review for the book I just read too, for sure, but I think there might be errands to run later. *shrug*
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Happy birthday, EFB, hope you had a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyV View Post
    I've been to IKEA a few times. They have some cool furniture, but I don't really understand the cult following it's acquired over the years.
    I'm like-minded although all our book-shelving comes from there. But the thing about ikea that will always make me smile is the ad with the cats. The making-of is fun too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiddlywinks View Post
    Well, it's a magical place wherein Winks got terribly lost and couldn't find her way out for a good hour.
    It is meant to do that, trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflame View Post
    Okay, I just now hit me. Youngest is graduating TOMORROW! No more little boy!
    They grow up so fast!

Man they do, I just today went to meet up with some school friends. They all have busy lives so we barely manage to meet more than once or twice a year and their kids are always so huge everytime we do meet up.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffins View Post
    IKEA's faulty instructions are what keeps twenty-something guys indispensable. The cute girls next door always need help putting together a bookshelf or some such.
    Clearly I have been building the wrong ikea things or am attuned in some crazily cosmically way to ikea's building instructions because I've never had trouble and people ask me for help building...

Or I need new neighbours...

Crede esse ranas.

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster Religion0's Avatar
    On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed known as Denmark
    Happy Effby day!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    Woohoo, we're lamp twins!
    Twinsies!

I sit square between "I just want to get this over with" and "I think I'd rather put a screwdriver through my hand than do this" regarding my bachelor's, you know? I'm not about to put anything through any limbs, but I'm not really getting anything done. Ugh, I'm getting tired of hearing me complain.
    There is, in all likelihood, a small cuddly dog holding me hostage by virtue of lying on my foot. In a moment, she will clamber up my body and devour my brain through my nose. Please send help.

*dips a bagel into cream cheese Religion0*
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Excel has no love for anything. Excel is made of hate.

"[Rel is] a rainbow creamcheese mega awesome cereal fish with sweet eyebrows and big eyes and a generally pleasant face to gaze upon on top of having a wonderful personality!"

Quote Originally Posted by Friendly Frog View Post
    Happy birthday, EFB, hope you had a good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Religion0 View Post
    Happy Effby day!
    Thanks! It was a very good day, indeed!

for Rel.

Well, I haven't gotten story words done yet, but I did download my first ever download-only video game ("Ravel" which I got for my b-day yesterday) and while that was taking it's dear sweet time to get done, I wrote a 2,589 word review of "Geekerella" the audiobook for which I finished yesterday. Spoiler alert: I loved it, thus the multitude of words! Now for story words, while I'm in the wording groove.

WIPs:

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E.F.B. View Post
    I wrote a 2,589 word review of "Geekerella" the audiobook
    Ten pages?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Love View Post
    Ten pages?!!
    Maaaaaybe...

ETA: You can read it HERE if your really want to, but yeah, it's long. I got rather impassioned about how it connected to my geeky-geekiness and made me cry and stuff. Also, some of the length comes from the fact that I include a section in every review for content (language, sexual content, etc) after the section about story quality and overall enjoyment, because I have a lot of young (and not so young) Christian girls following me who want to know about that stuff, and appreciate reviews that take the time to mention it.
    Last edited by E.F.B.; 05-21-2017 at 12:26 AM.

WIPs:

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    The IKEA cat ad reminded me of their Bookbook ad.

The voice-activated password protection feature is my favorite.
    Last edited by JJ Litke; 05-21-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Not clicking on those IKEA ads...not.

*sounds of guilty tapping are heard in the background*

In other news, it's a crappy weather day outside, but I have FINALLY conquered the day-job "ohmergawd, shoot me now" overly stressed out, whacked out balance feeling hanging over my head (I think), and am having a very productive writerly kind of day. Without coffee, no less!

Winks, Day 6 and counting without frou frou coffee, soda, fast food, junk food and most overly sugary crap. Currently hepped up on grapefruit power...after using the rebent grapefruit knife that my husband kinda sorta accidentally straightened because he thought he bent it the last time he was doing the dishes...*sigh*
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

Red Riding Hood retelling - Chapter One (revising)
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

Whew. Final author proofs turned in for my smutty space opera. I've seen the final version of the stunning cover. Small LGBTQ romance press seems to be living up to its mandate of going beyond erotic romance into mainstream SFF, horror, and litfic. Outside of writing, it's an emotional roller-coaster weekend.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

The IKEA cat ad reminded me of their Bookbook ad.

The voice-activated password protection feature is my favorite.
    I loved that ad!
    There is, in all likelihood, a small cuddly dog holding me hostage by virtue of lying on my foot. In a moment, she will clamber up my body and devour my brain through my nose. Please send help.

"[Rel is] a rainbow creamcheese mega awesome cereal fish with sweet eyebrows and big eyes and a generally pleasant face to gaze upon on top of having a wonderful personality!"

Mmm, melon season... *chomps down a whole watermelon*

Happy belated birthday, EFB!
    "Be yourself; everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence." - Hal Borland

I SURVIVED YESTERDAY!!! My brother (who is nice and pleasant) came to visit and the weather was gorgeous so we all sat out in the garden for a few hours drinking cider and talking bout tings. Very nice. But I killed my social threshold of interaction to the point of totes exhaustion later. Cute nephew though. I managed zero words sadly. But i am now 2/3 done with beta project assignments and I am prepping for more!!
    -Twitter of fear and loathing and incredible shyness!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyV View Post
    Happy belated birthday, EFB!
    Thanks!

@Dammy: Yay survival!

It's my parent's 39th anniversary today so now that we're out of church we're getting lunch out at Red Lobsters assuming there isn't a line out the door. Then werdz shall happen when we get home. Hopefully. I tired though. Good thing werdz only require sitting butt in chair and typing. And thinking. Thinking is helpful too.

WIPs:

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Afternoon, Cantina!

Finished up my developmental edits on Of Flesh and Bone today and sent them back to my editor. Hopefully we'll only need the one round, but there was considerably more new content added this time than with the previous two. (Partly because this one was a little shorter than the others to begin with, so I had a little more room to comfortably develop a couple of things in this pass that would have been kind of tight if the book had been as large as the others to start out.)

Next up, iced coffee to celebrate.

Then working on the SparkleGoat cover. And a reminder to folks that if you want an ebook ARC to review on Goodreads, to let me know. I should have them ready in another week or so.

Aggy, busybusy
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Aardvark. I wish I was an aardvark, but for some reason my brain thought it should be a swear word. Aardvark aardvark aardvark. Squid.

Well, the second weekend of the Lilac festival was... better. Not great, but better. Not as much hail. Warmer. More people, more sales. Still not up to my normal average, though.

On the plus side, I had three repeat customers this weekend, and had a great Laotian dinner with two other artists. The food was fantastic!!! Beef, vermicelli, cucumber, tomato, bean sprouts, and all the cilantro in the city. Seriously, a huge pile of it. All with a sweet peanut sauce.

That cloud looks like a knife...

Page 770 of 809 FirstFirst ... 20270520670695720745760764765766767768769770771772773774775776780795 ... LastLast