bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Ah, IKEA, land of wonders and horrors. The meatballs are good, the kitchen section seductive, and their furniture lives down to the legends of its horrible instructions. I once put together a set of massive bookshelves that fell apart...until I slid the 1/8" plywood into the back channel. I still don't quite trust those shelves, even after application of Gorilla Glue.

Sockycat, Imposter Syndrome never goes away. It's better than Dunning Kruger Syndrome.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

practical experience, FTW sockycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Ah, IKEA, land of wonders and horrors. The meatballs are good, the kitchen section seductive, and their furniture lives down to the legends of its horrible instructions. I once put together a set of massive bookshelves that fell apart...until I slid the 1/8" plywood into the back channel. I still don't quite trust those shelves, even after application of Gorilla Glue.

Sockycat, Imposter Syndrome never goes away. It's better than Dunning Kruger Syndrome.
    When I moved out last year I furnished my entire place thanks to IKEA. It's a broke college student's dream.

If it makes you feel better, thanks to faulty instructions we were about halfway through building our entertainment center when we realized something....we built it upside down.
    Visit my website and send me a neat pun.

Okay, I just now hit me. Youngest is graduating TOMORROW! No more little boy!
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    That's how they get you.
    I had a very hangry husband in tow as well. It was not a good day in the Winks household.

I've only been in it three times. Once to buy an ikea bag as the going away gift wrap for a dear coworker friend who now works high up there (so I say nothing when it comes to the product), once when we got lost and once more with an artist friend who swore we'd only be in there a short while (she lied; I bought random crap that I still haven't done anything with as 'craft' projects).
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

*FRESH MEAT* Red Riding Hood retelling - Chapter One now available for squirrels in SYW!
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Halfway through the IKEA maze (the first time I took MrJJ there), I overheard a woman telling her companion, "This is the point where you start to feel like you're never going to get out again."

We got our cool exploding death star light fixture on that trip (the image shows it opened and closed). Totally worth it.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Quote Originally Posted by sockycat View Post
    When I moved out last year I furnished my entire place thanks to IKEA. It's a broke college student's dream.

If it makes you feel better, thanks to faulty instructions we were about halfway through building our entertainment center when we realized something....we built it upside down.
    IKEA's faulty instructions are what keeps twenty-something guys indispensable. The cute girls next door always need help putting together a bookshelf or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post

OMG, the Dunning-Kruger effect is the scariest thing ever. Basically, it's possible to suck at something so much that one won't recognize his/her own incompetence. You'd think this is impossible, but the effect is never as profoundly on display as while playing competitive games on the internet. Basically, the worst guy in the game is usually the one yelling at everyone else.
    This has got something to do with the fact that the less competent you are, the less likely you're going to make correct decisions and learn from your mistakes.
    Ultimately, I'm far more scared of being incandescently happy with my writing than wishing it were a little better. Being completely content with your work means you've hit your artistic capacity and will never improve. This complacency is the death of progress. Being disappointed means you can still imagine greater things, and may someday still reach them. So reach for the stars, friends!

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster Religion0's Avatar
    On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed known as Denmark
    Hey, you stabbed a character in the kidney, so you have no room to pick at me wanting realistic trauma! Hmph.
    Haha, yeah. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Love View Post
    Awesome ideas. My brain keeps spinning toward other projects--I think I need to wait until closer to the deadline for inspiration.
    If that's how you work.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    Sockycat, we ALL have that voice! Even Neil Gaiman. He's admitted such publicly! Imposter Syndrome is a horrible thing.
    I seem to recall hearing somewhere that Imposter Syndrome is a sign you're doing it right. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Maxwell View Post
    I've heard magical things about their swedish meatballs. Truth? I mean, not that I'm going to go to a town 45 minutes away for meatballs *has gone and will continue to go 45 minutes for meatballs*
    I wonder how different those are from Danish frikkadeller. Other than being spherical, that is. They kinda look like oven-baked frikkadeller. Much easier to make them in the oven, and much tastier for my money, especially after a night in the fridge. Nom.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyV View Post
    I've been to IKEA a few times. They have some cool furniture, but I don't really understand the cult following it's acquired over the years.
    People love things they've "built" themselves, they love the reasonable prices for the quality (it's not built to last for centuries, but it won't spontaneously collapse in a week), despite the meme of impossible IKEA instructions they aren't that bad, at least not anymore, and you can get more or less literally anything in IKEA.

Halfway through the IKEA maze (the first time I took MrJJ there), I overheard a woman telling her companion, "This is the point where you start to feel like you're never going to get out again."

We got our cool exploding death star light fixture on that trip (the image shows it opened and closed). Totally worth it.
    Ooh, ooh! I have that lamp! It's the coolest! Not the brightest, but plenty cool. Totally worth it. Won a design award.
    There is, in all likelihood, a small cuddly dog holding me hostage by virtue of lying on my foot. In a moment, she will clamber up my body and devour my brain through my nose. Please send help.

*dips a bagel into cream cheese Religion0*
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Excel has no love for anything. Excel is made of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Damoclian View Post
    "[Rel is] a rainbow creamcheese mega awesome cereal fish with sweet eyebrows and big eyes and a generally pleasant face to gaze upon on top of having a wonderful personality!"

Now available (see sig for link)! Cliff Face's Avatar
    Yep, according to a professor I had, imposter syndrome usually only hits the people who are above average at whatever it is they're doing. The actual word used was "genius", but I'm not sure something so widespread as imposter syndrome could mesh with the rather narrow category of genius... But definitely above average. The source was some academic articles on (I think) psychology and learning. Didn't read them myself - it was basically just small-talk between a professor and some students.

As for IKEA... OMG, the maze! I've only been in IKEA once before, but I had to marvel at the ingenuity of the store's setup. Like, there was literally just one winding pathway to go from entrance to exit, but it took you past literally every major section of the store, as well as having some false starts where you think the path is over here, but it's actually just another alley of whichever section you're already in. Brilliant! I didn't even need to buy anything (was there with family), and I still came out thinking about a whole bunch of products I might buy someday.
    To listen to my feeble attempts at music, go here! I'll be adding to it (hopefully) for all of February.

Buy my comedic urban fantasy novel on Kindle today!
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 23 January 2016)
    I also have a website. How exciting!

Main WIPs

The Black Book That Went 'Thud'
    The Little House of Flames
    From De-cluttering To Minimalism: A Journey

practical experience, FTW greendragon's Avatar
    Yay! That means I'm above average in writing AND in accounting! Woohoo! I'm happy with both.

A cool thing: Author group last night. We have one writer who occasionally comes, maybe 4 times in the last year? His kid is in Weeblos and he's the coach, so he doesn't get Thursdays free often. Anyway, he's our most successful author - published about 40 books. Mostly space opera/noir/chthulu humor. (Patrick Thomas if you're interested in looking him up). Tonight was the first time he was here where my excerpt was read out. He said I write like David Eddings.

Yeah? Cool! I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflame View Post

Yay! That means I'm above average in writing AND in accounting! Woohoo! I'm happy with both..
    So, that also means I'm above average at...pretty much everything I put my hand to that's important to me? (Writing, knit/crochet, jewelry design, drawing, teaching.) Yeah, I have a lot of imposter syndrome. It's not constant, but when it hits it hits hard.

Busy day today, Cantina. I don't think there will be much cleaning today due to the busy. I'll try to get wordage in, then we've got to pick the ripe cherries on the tree before the birds get them, then we've got to go out, take things to Goodwill and other things to the dump that got re-discovered during cleaning. We found another box of my college textbooks which I then put up for sale on Amazon, and I've sold three in two days, so gotta get the most recent one shipped. Then we have to go get the ice cream cake my mom ordered for my birthday. I don't know the flavor because she was going to surprise me. Then we bring that home and get ready for supper and the actual birthday partay. (Just me, my parents, da beagle, and the extended family via Skype as usual. I don't do big partays.) So. Busy busy hopefully happy day ahead!
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Fantasy - Working title: "In Dreams They Came" -- 75,753 words & counting!
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)
    Snow White Retelling -- 23,780 words & counting

Twitter of sparkles | Etsy | Goodreads | Pinterest | Instagram of sparkles

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

I'm actually pretty confident in my abilities as a bead artist. That's the one area I DON'T have Imposter Syndrome in. It really does help to do a lot of art shows. Constant comments about how 'your work ought to be in a museum' and the like have finally hit home after doing shows for 14 years.

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Awah!

Yay! Yeah? Cool! I'll take that.
    Yeah cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E.F.B. View Post
    So. Busy busy hopefully happy day ahead!
    Ooo, is today the birthday when secrets are revealed?? Happy birthday in either case.

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    So, I think I've hit a mid-book crisis on the WIP. A little doubt worm has me rethinking everything. My original outline was for a trilogy, with three separate arcs, climaxes, everything. There were some secrets carried over to bk2 so that more revelations could be made. Now that I'm more of a realist, I realize those other books may never be, and so maybe this one should stand on its own better. To do that, I guess I'd have to explain his motives in some corny flashbacks and risk it being all telly instead of the scenes I planned for bk2. I don't know, I don't know. Everything seems so sucky right now. I'm going to keep writing anyway, but ugh.

practical experience, FTW sockycat's Avatar
    Congrats ! High school or college?
    Visit my website and send me a neat pun.

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Congrats to Youngest, SF!

Mary,
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Blog (updated 09/05/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

Ooo, is today the birthday when secrets are revealed?? Happy birthday in either case.
    I...I don't know. Is that a thing? O.o Thank You!

*squishes Mary's doubt worm so it can't bother her anymore*
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Birthday? Another one? Already? Eesh. All right. *cracks knuckles* Has anyone seen the disco ball in a while? I mean, the preferred answer is "no" as long as no one's mysteriously disappeared.

...No one's disappeared, right?

*looks around* Guys?

Happy birthday, EFB!

The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Blog (updated 09/05/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

Happy birthday, E.F.B.!
    [insert AW Flash Fiction Challenge advertisement here]
    (password is "flashed" — new prompt every Sunday!)

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Happy birthday, EFB!

Quote Originally Posted by Religion0 View Post
    Ooh, ooh! I have that lamp! It's the coolest! Not the brightest, but plenty cool. Totally worth it. Won a design award.
    Woohoo, we're lamp twins!
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Happy B-day EFB!

To clarify, it's high school. He'll be going to mechanic's school later this fall.
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

Rat-conga-lines Effbubbles!! Rat-conga-lines and more congratulations!! Good job surviving thus far, keep up the good work, and whatever you do, don't stop being so diggily-derned d'awesome!

So, I think I've hit a mid-book crisis on the WIP. A little doubt worm has me rethinking everything. My original outline was for a trilogy, with three separate arcs, climaxes, everything. There were some secrets carried over to bk2 so that more revelations could be made. Now that I'm more of a realist, I realize those other books may never be, and so maybe this one should stand on its own better. To do that, I guess I'd have to explain his motives in some corny flashbacks and risk it being all telly instead of the scenes I planned for bk2. I don't know, I don't know. Everything seems so sucky right now. I'm going to keep writing anyway, but ugh.
    My dude..... are- are you like, actually me??? Because if you are, I gotta say: Stahp eeet!

Realisticness and realism lead only to reality, and we deal in fiction! I was in tha therapsies today and I decided based on the information provided me that I gotta NOT aim for reality, or plan for reality, or expect reality. Reality is a cold, cruel, nasty, tushy-monster! Only aim for reality when you're shooting it with your arrows of awesomesauce escapism! What you gotta do - gotta beliebe and hope and dream and think - is work for what YOU want, your goal - your achievement, your success, your dream - to make it happen. You gotta do lots, and trust yourself, and triple-check everything anyway, and be the badass that you know, secretly, deep down between that big heart and fearsome bottom of yours that you ARE a bad-ass and your ass is bad in the best possible way.

Aim for the impossible, the unthinkable and unachievable; it's the only way to escape the mundane. So write that trilogy, Mary, write it and make it even better than you planned for it to be because, before, you planned for the possible, but now, now you gotta plan for the best!
    -Twitter of fear and loathing and incredible shyness!
    -Blog of books and reviews and unspeakable cowardice! (updated 17.07.19) A less than stellar review for a pretty great book.

Write the trilogy, Mary! Even if it takes you years, play the long game!

I'm just finishing up book 5 in my series. I have about four scenes left to finish, and then done with the first draft, woohoo! it will likely clock in at about 80K. I MIGHT finish today, but probably not until Monday.

Then I have to make a decision (after doing an edit and sending it off to the beta readers, of course).... do I work on book 6? (there are 9 planned out and this would finish up the second trilogy), or do I work on my non-related book, the Miami/Iceland time slip novel?

Decisions!!!

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Flashbacks are a thing that sometimes fall out of fashion. But I find them to be a lovely seasoning if done properly. (I usually tag them in as some sort of dream, but sometimes there are just flashbacks.) The important thing is that they are still part of the story so write the accordingly.

First drafts are full of doubt. It comes and goes. Ignore it when it's there and power forward when it's not. Even if you write something terrible you can fix it later. But you'll never fix anything if there isn't something there to fix.

ION, PossumBuddy came back. He got out of the porch overnight (yesterday) and we were worried that something had eaten him. But, I suspect, he had climbed up into the bottom of the massive holly bush to sleep during the day and came back out last night. He has now been bathed and tickled and reassured that he is better off sticking close to the house.

And, I'm nearly to the end of the edits/revisions on the last Southern Gothic novella. Have to go grocery shopping today, but hoping to push through the last of these pages today and tomorrow.

Aggy, sleepy and sore
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Maxwell View Post
    Birthday? Another one? Already? Eesh. All right. *cracks knuckles* Has anyone seen the disco ball in a while? I mean, the preferred answer is "no" as long as no one's mysteriously disappeared.

...No one's disappeared, right?

*looks around* Guys?

Happy birthday, EFB!

Quote Originally Posted by lilyWhite View Post
    Happy birthday, E.F.B.!
    Happy birthday, EFB!
    Happy B-day EFB!
    Quote Originally Posted by Damoclian View Post
    Rat-conga-lines Effbubbles!! Rat-conga-lines and more congratulations!! Good job surviving thus far, keep up the good work, and whatever you do, don't stop being so diggily-derned d'awesome!
    Thanks, everybody!

Mary, listen to the peoples. They are wise and knowledgeable and all the good things. Also, if you write the trilogy, you get to be in the Cerberus Club (TM) with me, Dammy, and the rest who's names escape me, and you get that fancy pin to stick on your soul which totally stops pinching after a month or two! Join us! Join uuuus!

WIPs:

Happy Birthday, Effby!

Mary, writing almost never goes according to outline. Just give book one your best effort. The universe can't possibly ask for any more than that. And what's this about not having books two and three? If you self-pub book one, you can self-pub book two. Or if you have a traditional publisher for book one, you can convince someone to publish the other novels too.

Page 769 of 809 FirstFirst ... 19269519669694719744759763764765766767768769770771772773774775779794 ... LastLast