The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I have got to get back in the habit of writing. I'm currently writing one sentence at a time, going "that's awful" and deleting it, but looking fondly back on some older works.

Well Rel, now that you're a Bachelor (;)) I suggest the browser writing program: "Write or Die" because certain people I have spoken to whose opinions I was inclined to trust have spoken highly of it in the past. It will delete your sentences for you if you don't keep writing!!! :eek:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
-_- :Soapbox:

Annoyed. You can skip the rant if you want.

So remember when I mentioned that an author completely skipped out oh me after verbally agreeing that I'd edit his novel? (maybe you don't but that's okay) So he's a friend my hubby's so I did give him a discount when I gave him that quote. I had seen a sample of his work and frankly, it needed a LOT of work. I mean, think on it, first novel, of someone who doesn't read much in the first place, has no experience with writing. So basically every newbie mistake ever was just in the sample. I told him to expect a full rewrite when I edited the piece. I truely think he expected me to write his book again for him. I did explain and give an example of what I meant by edits.

But anyway, he ran an unsuccessful Kickstarter to pay for stuff. (Not really how KS works there dude) Then I heard crickets, even after I asked him when the novel would be ready for editing.

Then he states he's going to be published by some author house and has signed on as their graphic designer. I checked out the "house" and it skates the line between vanity and micro press. (not going to mention the name)

Then he starts spaming with his graphic design services and for me to join his book launch. (less than 6 weeks after the book was supposed to be finished. In no way has there been a developmental edit, structural then a copy/final edit. Which this book REALLY REALLY needed all 3.

I don't look down on self-publishers or those who chose to work with small press. Heck I'd be happy to have a small press pick up some of my work, though I know it's probably not likely with a few series. But do it right. Learn the craft. Create a good book that's going to make people come back and read more. Heck do promotion right. It's not just about spamming links on every promo site there is.

I've been working on this for 10 years. I want to do things right, including creating well-rounded stories and characters. And creating an experience (website coming in the future) that readers are excited about. That's how you do success. Sure there's some wrong turns and dead ends, but that's part of the experience.

Rushing through gets you nowhere except unhappy readers who won't pick up other books.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
It will delete your sentences for you if you don't keep writing!!! :eek:
That would make me want to stab it with a fork...

New Cantina name!

Aaaah, it's so nice not to have construction noise for the first day in two weeks. I iz tired from Sunday School so going to do wordage for a while. :Hug2: to everyone who needs them.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*stumbles in bleary-eyed and sleepy*

TiddlyWinks, this is the most painfully adorable thing I've ever seen in my life. Hopefully it shall bring you at least a moment of OMG, soooo cute! before the ow, ow, ow sets in.

https://www.facebook.com/HappyCatsOnline/videos/1635761559798113

Squeeeeeeeee!

Well, that was a nice thing to wake up to. :) I'm up and having to go out the door without breakfast first thing because my parents both are getting their fasting bloodwork done today and then we're getting breakfast out. Breakfast out, yes, Getting up immediately running out the door without food and still being sleepy, no. And also bleh. At least it looks like IHOP has some easy things on their summer menu.

To do list for today after we get home is wordage and an Etsy listing. Also, yesterday, my mom and I are sandpapered aaaall the front step/porch railings because we're going to paint them sometime soon. Then we're going to put that protective deck-over stuff on the deck and steps. It will be both purty and have better traction. Repeat process for back deck.

*falls asleep* *snorks* I'm awake.

Sprocketwatch

Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha. So. I am stuck in that weird mindset of research as procrastination right now. I was working on a fan fiction (since I'm not really getting anywhere with my original work at the moment) just to get my head back in the game. It never fails- I want to write, and then I overthink a particular detail. It starts innocently enough, and usually it's meant to help me solidify the plot I'm trying to develop, but I get a particular idea in my head, something I'm not too familiar with but want to use as a story element, and like clockwork I'm perusing the internet, trying to get as much info as possible, but not really applying what I'm learning into actual sentences that carry the story forward. Instead I'm sucked into a vortex of information, trapped in my curiosity and consuming both time and attention, before depleting both of course.

It happens with my SF/F and it happens with my fan fiction. I want off of this particular hamster wheel, but this has been a problem for a lot of my writing career. Well-intended distraction, but distraction nonetheless. I haven't the faintest idea how to stop that.

I'm also looking for a new job. I'm considering putting in my two weeks' notice at the current position even though I haven't landed another gig. It might motivate me to speed up the job search process.

Anyway, I hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Well Rel, now that you're a Bachelor (;)) I suggest the browser writing program: "Write or Die" because certain people I have spoken to whose opinions I was inclined to trust have spoken highly of it in the past. It will delete your sentences for you if you don't keep writing!!! :eek:
I'd probably just let it, though.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I wish I could ninja-write at work :( But I have a writing/communications/marketing related job which means I'm writing...just not MY writing. Also, I am in lots and lots of meetings, and I'm usually one of the "OMG, Winks, quick, say something before I kill our fellow coworker with what she's promising to the client" types in meetings. So I can't multi-task, as I have to be listening for warning signs of imminent "YARGH, nooooooo, we don't do that" or "has wandered into dangerous territory where Winks needs to pull data out of her bum to save the day".

My job is always interesting. :greenie

I have heavy months and light months at work. Sometimes I have days with no work at all... thus ninja-writing. But that's balanced out by 12 hour days during busy-time. However, even the 12 hour days have pockets of 'I can't finish my work until he finishes his part', so I can sometimes squeeze in a bit of writing then.

-
So remember when I mentioned that an author completely skipped out oh me after verbally agreeing that I'd edit his novel? (maybe you don't but that's okay) So he's a friend my hubby's so I did give him a discount when I gave him that quote. I had seen a sample of his work and frankly, it needed a LOT of work. I mean, think on it, first novel, of someone who doesn't read much in the first place, has no experience with writing. So basically every newbie mistake ever was just in the sample. I told him to expect a full rewrite when I edited the piece. I truely think he expected me to write his book again for him. I did explain and give an example of what I meant by edits.

But anyway, he ran an unsuccessful Kickstarter to pay for stuff. (Not really how KS works there dude) Then I heard crickets, even after I asked him when the novel would be ready for editing.

Then he states he's going to be published by some author house and has signed on as their graphic designer. I checked out the "house" and it skates the line between vanity and micro press. (not going to mention the name)

Then he starts spaming with his graphic design services and for me to join his book launch. (less than 6 weeks after the book was supposed to be finished. In no way has there been a developmental edit, structural then a copy/final edit. Which this book REALLY REALLY needed all 3.

I don't look down on self-publishers or those who chose to work with small press. Heck I'd be happy to have a small press pick up some of my work, though I know it's probably not likely with a few series. But do it right. Learn the craft. Create a good book that's going to make people come back and read more. Heck do promotion right. It's not just about spamming links on every promo site there is.

I've been working on this for 10 years. I want to do things right, including creating well-rounded stories and characters. And creating an experience (website coming in the future) that readers are excited about. That's how you do success. Sure there's some wrong turns and dead ends, but that's part of the experience.

Rushing through gets you nowhere except unhappy readers who won't pick up other books.

Ugh, double ugh and triple ugh. Now, I went with small press, and they have professional editors and copy-editors on staff. But that varies widely with which small press you go with, I'm well aware! And the fact that they accepted it in that state... doesn't make me confident, from your description. Ugh.

This weekend was great fun at the New York Faerie Festival! Three days of faeries, goblins, trolls, more wings than I could count. Horns and tusks and all things hippie and pagan :) I met new friends and made some sales (not a lot). This was always a one-weekend festival, but this year they've expanded it to two weekends. This first weekend was the 'extra' weekend, so attendance was naturally lighter. Also, it was graduation weekend for most of the local high schools, so many families were probably out and about doing graduation things. Next weekend should be even more epic.

Saturday night, on my way to have dinner with a couple of the other artists, I saw a lovely rainbow. Also, the rain held off all day until the MINUTE we closed at 7. Sunday it held off until an hour after closing, at 8 - just in time for me to close up and start driving away.

The sky on the 1.5 hour drive home was amazing. First, layers of storm clouds over a setting sun. Then that preternatural gold light that comes when the sun is peeking out from under stormclouds. Then a full double rainbow that followed me for a full half hour of my drive. Then pink glowing sunset clouds. Amazing stuff :D

KITTIE!!! Poor sweetie! He seems quite at home in the luggage, though :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Cantina.

We've made some fairly significant progress on the big housecleaning projects. (Sorting through stored stuff in the living room has been the most difficult, but even that is starting to get whittled down.) Going to work on it some more today, then the rest of the week is busy with various events with Monkey and LibertyCon over the weekend.

Right now, drinking my third cup of tea for the day and pondering some things.

Aggy, waiting on lunch too

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
CantIIIIIna!!! :D I went and did a social today! :D Go me, I go. I went swimming and actually spoke to some of the other folks in my lane of the pool. :O It turns out after years of not swimming, I can still kinda swim a little bit....

That would make me want to stab it with a fork...

Yeah, Effby! Stab that keyboard with a Bident of Excessive Wordage! ;)

The Steam Sale can be dangerous to the pocket book.

But $5 Shadow of Mordor! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

I'd probably just let it, though.

Relzizzle, don't give in to the poopy feelz. A Bachelor thou art, and a badass ye always were! Apply awesomesauce to your fatigue and hit on your keyboard like it's that hot EMS dude-person who was hot and saved you from donating all the teh blood. Just, one key at a time. A single word, nay, a single LETTER is by far and above a victory worth celebrating. Each and every sign a character you hadn't writ before, and a symbol the world needs now. :D :D :D

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sprocketwatch, there's nothing wrong with writing a fanfic then nipping and tucking the idea into original fic. BEFORE posting it anywhere, of course.

I am in a little bit of an ethical dilemna. I signed up for and received a free copy of a book from Goodreads, the kind they send you in return for a review. However, the book is not to my taste, let's say. It's not offensive, just confusing and lacking a compelling plot. I'm halfway in and really don't want to spend any more time reading it when I've got better stuff to read. However, the author seems sincere, and I want to support him/her and not drag the book through the mud and outline all its many failures. Should I just say something nice about one of its nice qualities and leave an average rating, and cut and run?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'd leave an honest review, including that it's just not to your tastes and a few of the issues you had, as well as some of the things you liked (if any). Sending out a free copy for a review is no guarantee that they're going to get all 5 star reviews, and the author should be aware of this.

I've totally transformed my fanfics into original fiction before. Actually took two different fix with similar premises and slapped them together as two parts of a trilogy. I only ever published one chapter each, and I doubt anyone could pick them out anymore.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Personally, I'd prefer an honest 2 star review with good feedback that helps me to improve than nothing.

I learned an interesting factoid today. There is a group of people living on North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal that refuse contact with the outside world. They may have been there for 60,000 years. Last known contact was in 2006, where a couple of fishermen landed their boat there - and were killed. You can still see a boat on Google Satellite view! It may be the same boat -- which I think is all sorts of cool. That led me to look up other uncontacted tribes. There are over 100 in the world, that we know of! This one is the most violent, though. There may be anywhere from 40-500 people on the island. It's heavily forested, so no details can be seen. When a helicopter flew over to see if they survived a tsunami, it was fired upon with arrows and spears.

Story fodder...

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
You gais!!! :O I have been watching anime, and specifically a specific anime of awesome specifications. Specificity! :D Iff'n y'all like teh shonen sillies combined with ALL the tropes and also a p-decent magic system and a wonderfully supes serious-cereal plot, Twin Star Exorcists is for YOU!!! It's just, it's everything I want in an anime, and even the filler makes me squee just a bit with its, like, well, stuff! <3

Heeeey, Damo-friend! I just found the coolest Adventure Time fan-art, but it's too big to post here so I'mma just drop a link:
(artstation.com is a community site for concept artists to share work)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v3NYx

The artist's page:
https://maxdwork.artstation.com/

That put a happy in my feel-place! :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Evening, Cantina.

After some consultation with some other folks it looks like there's a super-secret project on the way. With magic and Fey and murder. Oooh. (Stay tuned.)

Rest of the week is jam packed with stuff so...

Aggy, busybusybusy

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
I hear that. Just bought the deluxe edition of Dying Light for about $20 US, and I'm now eying Stellaris and Space Hulk: Deathwing. Curse you Steam.

Stellaris is good fun, especially if you have friends to play it with. o.o

There are tons of good games on Steam, actually, but those sales are soooo good. >.> I have a list of games I need to get through before I buy more, however.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
My sister's coming! The other one, not the one I just spent a long while complaining about. One who lives in England with her husband and three kids that I haven't seen enough.

My brother came back from the dentist with no less than ten cavities. I would be sympathetic, but the boy brings it on himself, he's been told to brush his teeth, and he's a grown man. And Mum looked despairingly at the both of us like I've ever gotten anything but "looks good" from a dentist. I do not like getting despaired at for something I don't do.

Relzizzle, don't give in to the poopy feelz. A Bachelor thou art, and a badass ye always were! Apply awesomesauce to your fatigue and hit on your keyboard like it's that hot EMS dude-person who was hot and saved you from donating all the teh blood. Just, one key at a time. A single word, nay, a single LETTER is by far and above a victory worth celebrating. Each and every sign a character you hadn't writ before, and a symbol the world needs now. :D :D :D
Awesomesauce to the keyboard? Wouldn't that just gum it up?

You gais!!! :O I have been watching anime, and specifically a specific anime of awesome specifications. Specificity! :D Iff'n y'all like teh shonen sillies combined with ALL the tropes and also a p-decent magic system and a wonderfully supes serious-cereal plot, Twin Star Exorcists is for YOU!!! It's just, it's everything I want in an anime, and even the filler makes me squee just a bit with its, like, well, stuff! <3
I've been reading the manga for that and agree with your overall assessment, but the anime did not jive with me, possibly due to the ways it diverged from the manga.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My husband loves his Stellaris :)

I'm avoiding all the games. It's a time suck I cannot afford. Too much to do!

This is the last weekend in my 8-in-a-row madness for art shows. I'm also gathering about 8 jewelry pieces and two canvas prints to put in our county library for a couple of months as an exhibit. I have one commission piece to mail off today, one to finish (she keeps nitpicking it!) and one to start once the colors are approved. Then busy time at work starts. I'm holding off diving into my next novel until that's mostly over, so I don't have 'muse-driven-frenzy' during '12-hours a day work' time. That just leads to frustration.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd prefer an honest 2 star review with good feedback that helps me to improve than nothing.

I learned an interesting factoid today. There is a group of people living on North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal that refuse contact with the outside world. They may have been there for 60,000 years. Last known contact was in 2006, where a couple of fishermen landed their boat there - and were killed. You can still see a boat on Google Satellite view! It may be the same boat -- which I think is all sorts of cool. That led me to look up other uncontacted tribes. There are over 100 in the world, that we know of! This one is the most violent, though. There may be anywhere from 40-500 people on the island. It's heavily forested, so no details can be seen. When a helicopter flew over to see if they survived a tsunami, it was fired upon with arrows and spears.

Story fodder...
It's kind of good to know that there are some people out there who know nothing and care nothing about Facebook*, the Kardashians, or ISIS, isn't it?

*Though I did hear a story from someone who went and did some medical charity stuff in a remote area of PNG. They visited a mountain village that had been contacted by the outside world about three times in total. Three weeks after leaving the village, she got a Facebook friend request from a young man they'd met. The village had neither computers nor electricity, so the guy had to have hiked over a mountain range to the nearest connected village to make a Facebook account to contact her with.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Stellaris is good fun, especially if you have friends to play it with. o.o

There are tons of good games on Steam, actually, but those sales are soooo good. >.> I have a list of games I need to get through before I buy more, however.
Stellaris is kickass. I've logged so many hours, and I haven't even bought the DLC yet. After my exams ... (I haven't been able to play in a few months.)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Wait... Are the twins stars who are also exorcists? Or are they twins who exorcise stars? And are we talking stars as in famous people, or are we talking gaseous glowing space objects?

Yesterday was a pretty good day aside from the early start. IHOP breakfast was very good, we got things we needed at the store, went back home to get da beagle (who was extra-especially happy and hyper) then took him various places to get the energy out. Took him into Home Depot because they allow dogs and we needed some things from there. I don't think he necessarily *likes* going in there with all the noise, the concrete floor and the fact that he can't pee on anything, but he was generally happy to be with me instead of waiting in the car with my dad. He pretty much towed me through the whole store, to the point my right shoulder is sore from the effort of keeping him at my side and not running under tables and such to sniff things he shouldn't sniff. That definitely got some energy out of him, but he was still happy and hyper so we took him for a real walk at a park afterwards, which made him deliriously happy. I mean, he always loves going for walks, but yesterday was one of the coolest days we've had in a while, and it seemed to be making him "feel his oats" so to speak. We walked all the places and he sniffed and peed on all the things, and by the time we got home after 2pm, he just kinda flopped on my bed and didn't bother moving the rest of the afternoon. He was a worn out, but very happy beagle. :)

Unfortunately, after all this busy business, there wasn't much time for wordage, but I did get some in. All of my words this month have been focused on brainstorming and outlining for my Snow White retelling, but all totaled I still have logged over 10,000 words for the month. I think I'm pretty much ready for Camp Nano, and hopefully, I'm prepped enough that I'll be able to get a similar count on my actual story when I start writing it on the 1st.

Not nearly as much going on today. There is currently someone outside, cleaning up the leftover wood and stuff from the building of the front and back steps/deck. I'm just gonna ignore the noise, work on some wordage, and later, work on the border for that baby blanket that I hope to have finished by the end of the week.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
I've found Stellaris to only be good with friends, but when you've got friends to play it with it's fantastic.

For singleplayer I prefer the more civ-type games, like StarDrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.