Status
Not open for further replies.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina. I have a question/rant. On a different forum (of completely unrelated interests) I've decided that a big thread I shared two years ago is much too sharey and I went to delete it only to discover I can't. I can't even edit it to fix the typoes without submitting 'suggested changes' to an admin for their consideration. I emailed admin to request that they delete it and they said no (becuase it's photo intensive and a draw for viewers). What?? Today, I tried deleting the pictures at the scource and discovered they'd copied them (probably after my request to delete it) so I guess I no longer own those either. :cry:Have you ever heard of a forum operating this way? It's a learning experience, but it's sure made me grateful for the power to edit and delete over here. Ugh.

Well, there's one forum I've been on where you have to request edits/deletes after a certain period of time rather than being able to do it yourself, but the admins there are always super polite and do it. They'd be extra sympathetic if someone wanted the deletion because the person felt they'd shared too much and regretted posting it. I mean, I don't know what to tell you to do about your situation, but I personally don't think it's right of those people to refuse your request and even to go so far as copying your personal pictures just so they can keep the thread up and "draw viewers", whatever the heck that means. Nope. Not okay. Your request for should have been acknowledged and respected.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
*runs into the Cantina**runs through the door* I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it! *trips over a smibble**yells something incomprehensible into the floor* I passed! I got that bachelor's! Whoo!

That's awesome!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Morning Cantina. I have a question/rant. On a different forum (of completely unrelated interests) I've decided that a big thread I shared two years ago is much too sharey and I went to delete it only to discover I can't. I can't even edit it to fix the typoes without submitting 'suggested changes' to an admin for their consideration. I emailed admin to request that they delete it and they said no (becuase it's photo intensive and a draw for viewers). What?? Today, I tried deleting the pictures at the scource and discovered they'd copied them (probably after my request to delete it) so I guess I no longer own those either. :cry:Have you ever heard of a forum operating this way? It's a learning experience, but it's sure made me grateful for the power to edit and delete over here. Ugh.

I find it very shady that they have copied your personal images to make them undeletable. I'm sorry that they are behaving like this, and I wish I knew a way to help. :Hug2:

ION: I was out last night with a trivia group last night, and employees from the bar randomly walked up to the girls in the group and gave us all free vodka shirts. It was very strange. I mean, yay, free shirt?

IOON: Mood stabilizers have, well, stabilized my moods, and I always forget how calm I feel for the first few weeks while I adjust. Is this a normal emotional state for the mentally balanced? HOW DO PEOPLE FUNCTION FEELING SO TRANQUIL AND UNRUFFLED BY LIFE? :gaah

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

ETA: before I make a big stink, how unusual is this for a forum? Am I overreacting?

p.s. love the ability to ETA :D

To be clear, the photos in question are yours, that is, you took them? Then they're your photos and you own the copyright--unless you gave them rights to the photos by posting them on their forum. You'll have to check their guidelines, but if you didn't agree to allowing them rights, they are in copyright violation.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
To be clear, the photos in question are yours, that is, you took them? Then they're your photos and you own the copyright--unless you gave them rights to the photos by posting them on their forum. You'll have to check their guidelines, but if you didn't agree to allowing them rights, they are in copyright violation.

Yes, they're mine. I can't find any guidelines. Everything's been really difficult to uncover. Ugh, really wishing I'd checked these things out before! Thanks for your imput.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ooo, bubblewrap. Sounds fun.

Arg. #SFFpit was pretty much a wash for me yesterday. I did get a shiny new query out of my prep for pitching, though, so I'll start querying this weekend. I'm flattered by the likes I got...but not enough to query more new small presses.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Am in a foul mood, I wrecked my watch. I had my mom take it to the jeweler's (she works right across one) for a new battery but didn't specify to make it watertight again. Yeah, you can guess what comes next. I went swimming... Gah, just gaaaah. It was a good watch. It had its battery and wristband replaced like three times already and a tiny scratch on the dial but it was a Good Watch. Now it's broken. Can't be repaired. I don't know who I'm miffed at most, me or the jeweler. I mean I probably should have specified, but a sport and diving watch that was previously watertight, well shouldn't the jeweler at least have asked? I keep glancing at my wrist and the weight of my hand is all wrong now... I actually miss that watch. Gaaah. *goes to mope in the smibble pile*

Ew. NO. I mean, actually copying them? Ew.

I admin a tiny forum, am a member of a few others on the same software. Once in a while I get requests for either account-deleting or help in deleting material that got quoted and it thus uneditable by the OP. My forum doesn't do deleting accounts because the way our software is set up, deleting accounts just divorces posts from an account, meaning the posts stay up but with the account gone the account-holder can no longer edit or delete. (and it's an absolute pain to look up divorced posts even as admin.) So we don't do that but people keep the right to edit their posts at all time. As long as they stay within the rules. (The usual, mostly. No flaming, no illegal stuff. No editing after a mod editted your post.) Deleting posts or threads, which only mods can do, is judged post by post basis because discussions can get weird with posts missing. But a thread with photos and personal information? Yeah, I don't care how many visitors it draws, if it's personal and the OP wants it gone, I will delete because it's a right thing to do. Hell, chances are one of the mod team would already have checked with the OP if they wanted to share that much personal information. We sometimes get kids, they need that protection.

On all the other forums I know your posts are yours, therefore under your control unless what you post goes against the rules.

So yeah, not overreacting. I'm going EW. NOPE. on your behalf over here. I hope the admin will see reason.

Bradley :) fiancee's been saying they want us to have a cat with that name for over a year. who knows why haha
Awww, that's cute. :)

IOON: Mood stabilizers have, well, stabilized my moods, and I always forget how calm I feel for the first few weeks while I adjust. Is this a normal emotional state for the mentally balanced? HOW DO PEOPLE FUNCTION FEELING SO TRANQUIL AND UNRUFFLED BY LIFE? :gaah
We pretend. Some of us succeed well in keeping our Krakatoa on the inside and Antartica on the outside. :e2paperba

Still, calm is good. I like calm.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
WE GOT OUR CAT! HE'S HOME WITH US! pics to follow later tonight

Yes, they're mine. I can't find any guidelines. Everything's been really difficult to uncover. Ugh, really wishing I'd checked these things out before! Thanks for your imput.

wow that's awful! usually if you post an image, you get automatic copyright. a lot of people online use watermarks to double down on it. some people still steal watermarked images, or edit out the watermark (because they're just awful) but it can add a layer of security

for now, not really sure what to suggest. there may be an admin you can report to, but it sounds like you already did that

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com

Mary - you might want to file a DMCA takedown notice. Here's a link that provides a good step by step on how to go about doing that properly. DMCA notices mean business, and they should take that seriously.

You may run into a bit of a sticky wicket since you posted them there originally (or linked to them from your image account)...but the fact they copied them without your permission and won't take them down is also quite shady.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
*big hugs for Rel* Congrats!
*big hugs for Jade* Congrats!

Little Anonymous Me: I found it way too quiet for the first weeks of having emotions that weren't driven by gremlins tinkering with my thermostats for energy level, emotional state, and mental acuteness. After that I got into a groove that I'm fairly certain is normal, where my emotions are recognizable and controllable. At least I think that's the normal thing. Not really sure but I like this set up.

Last edited:

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Mary - you might want to file a DMCA takedown notice. Here's a link that provides a good step by step on how to go about doing that properly. DMCA notices mean business, and they should take that seriously.

You may run into a bit of a sticky wicket since you posted them there originally (or linked to them from your image account)...but the fact they copied them without your permission and won't take them down is also quite shady.

Thank you so much for the rescource. A mod directed me to a buried post from years ago where the forum owner claims copyright of everything shared on his forum. Umbrella copyright, he called it, including pics (if they so choose--not all the pics have been 'stolen' by the forum, just the higher traffic threads, it seems). I've never heard of this before and I have no idea if it's normal. I'm still in conversation with them and trying very hard not to blow my top. It's not even that the thread is overly sharey, it's just an inacurate portrayal of my story and, bottom line, it's my story! Or so I thought. Alas.

Let's get on to cheerier conversation, shall we? :Sun:

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you say so. I've been a lot more productive this week than I tend to be during summer, even though Utah has hit it's "Holy fuck, why's it 100 degrees outside?!" week. Not only have I been writing, I've finally either started projects I've been meaning to for a while, or continuing on ones that I started a while ago and haven't picked up again. Been working on a short story, finally putting my costume together for this year's Salt Lake Comic Con, and been painting the little plastic miniatures collecting dust on my desk. Productivity, YAY! :D

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
here's my new kitty! his name is Bradley. he was seized from a hoarder who also owned nearly every other cat in the shelter. he has ear infections, and has to wear a cone for a bit. but he's doing really well! eating, sleeping, cuddling. he purrs like a motorboat. he's an absolute angel :heart:

20170623_164620_zpscggphgpy.jpg

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Okie dokie. The steps are now attached to the back deck. Once they finish the railing, it's done! No more noise, no more griping, no more distraction. Also, we had an old junk car sitting out in our yard, and I do mean it was an Old. Junk. Car. It hadn't driven in 10 years, we stored garbage bags in it to sit until we could get them out and take it to the dump, it was growing lichen on the outside and we once had to get a family of mice out of there. Nobody was going to buy it so it was just...sitting there being ugly and gross. Well, the main guy working on the deck/steps apparently likes that model of old car and likes having big challenge projects to work on and he offered to make us a trade: The car for our house getting powerwashed. (Something the house desperately needed and was the next project we were going to need to hire someone to do, and truly the cost of that was going to be as much if not more than the value of that old car.) We took it. The guy had the old junk car, spiders, nasty old chair in the back (we told him we'd get all the garbage bags out, but we had no way to transport the nasty old chair, so he'd have to dispose of that himself if he really wanted the car) and all towed off yesterday and our house is now sparkling clean again. :greenie That's what I call killing three birds with one stone.

Words shall happen today, and I am soooooo close to finishing a crochet baby blanket I designed and have been working on for MONTHS! I'd started it around the time I got diagnosed with tennis elbow and started getting physical therapy, so I wasn't able to work on it much for a while, which is why it's taken months. But it's almost done! Heh, my mom and I were joking that I should add the cost of my physical therapy to the blanket's final price. :p But no. It will be more expensive than what I charge for simple baby blankets, though because, for one thing, I designed it, for another, it took a fair amount of yarn, and for a third thing, it's really more of a baby afghan than a blanket. *is not yet good at determining size before making a thing* IF I ever make another one, I'll have to figure out how to scale it down a bit so it doesn't take so long or take quite so much yarn.

- - - Updated - - -

KITTEH!!! <3 <3 <3

- - - Updated - - -

Awww, he's got the cone of shame. Poor Bradley.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
here's my new kitty! his name is Bradley. he was seized from a hoarder who also owned nearly every other cat in the shelter. he has ear infections, and has to wear a cone for a bit. but he's doing really well! eating, sleeping, cuddling. he purrs like a motorboat. he's an absolute angel :heart:

20170623_164620_zpscggphgpy.jpg

I Live in a Suitcase

Those lyrics are oddly appropriate.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I don't think I've ever seen a kitty in a cone before. Despite the ear infections, it sounds like he's happy.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Those lyrics are oddly appropriate.

hehehe perfect :roll:

Aww, I don't think I've ever seen a kitty in a cone before. Despite the ear infections, it sounds like he's happy.

my bff's cat had to wear one for a while. he was an escape artist, though. wouldn't wear it for more than 10 minutes without somehow getting out of it. glad Brad's been keeping his on.

thank you :) I think he is. nervous, understandably, but he's adjusting pretty well

Awww, he's got the cone of shame. Poor Bradley.

poor guy

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Apropos the cone of shame, and not applicable in this instance, but I have been told that putting a shirt on your pet does much the same job at much less hassle and discomfort.

I have made little hoods out of the end of a sock for some of mine when they have been scratching ears/face. You have to readjust it periodically, but it's not too bad. (Although there are certainly some murderous looks involved.)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I have a very wonderful husband. I'm having issues with foot pain, so Hubby on Fri night after he got off work went to Wally world and bought several pairs of work shoes to try on. One pair fits nicely except for my right pinkie toe which has been broken enough times it no longer bends and rubs against anything I put on anyway. I took back the other shoes yesterday when I went grocery shopping. So last night he was waiting for me when I got home. He had the massage oil and a warm towel ready. He made me sit down and put my feet up and rubbed my feet for a long time. <3 Then he made me something to eat and we watched a movie while things stopped hurting. Gota loves a man who takes care of you.

ION annoyed that I'm schedueled for WAY too many hours this week. This is supposed to be a part time job. I agreed on 20-24 hours. I'm scheduled for nearly a full 40 hours. I'll have to talk to the manager and remind her about this.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I have got to get back in the habit of writing. I'm currently writing one sentence at a time, going "that's awful" and deleting it, but looking fondly back on some older works.

I have a very wonderful husband. I'm having issues with foot pain, so Hubby on Fri night after he got off work went to Wally world and bought several pairs of work shoes to try on. One pair fits nicely except for my right pinkie toe which has been broken enough times it no longer bends and rubs against anything I put on anyway. I took back the other shoes yesterday when I went grocery shopping. So last night he was waiting for me when I got home. He had the massage oil and a warm towel ready. He made me sit down and put my feet up and rubbed my feet for a long time. <3 Then he made me something to eat and we watched a movie while things stopped hurting. Gota loves a man who takes care of you.
D'aw.

Status
Not open for further replies.