The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Urg. Sinus headache from hell today. Lots to do too. Mowing, laundry vacuuming etc. Luckily only light editing stuff.

Thinking of creating a platform to put on my treadmill so I can edit while I'm walking. Since I'm on the treadmill for a bout 1.5 hours to get my 4+ miles in, it makes sense to multitask if I'm on deadline (like yesterday). Or I can use that time to write. Either way it's better.

Aggy, sorry about the kitty. Mine are needy today. middle cat started off the day wanting the straw in my water cup. I had to distract her with another straw as the one in my cup is hard plastic and I don't want her to hurt her teeth. Big cat was upset because he wasn't paying attention when I was sitting in the recliner and missed cuddle time. He thinks he has to have his morning belly rub.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen that pic before! I always imagined it's what Varda's hands (the Valar from the Silmarillion who is called "Queen of the Stars", if you didn't already know) must have looked like after she put the stars in the sky. :)

You want non-fanfic stories, though. Um...Idea dump:

The sparkles are the magic that gets left behind when the person performs a certain spell she's not supposed to perform. It's almost like getting caught red-handed except in a more literal sense, and with sparkles instead of red.

The person touched something they weren't supposed to touch and now they see the night sky (complete with realistic star movements) in the palm of their hands, but can't show anyone or they'll get labeled a side-show freak.

The person is a goddess who literally holds the sky in her hands. (Too much like Varda?)

It's a personification of the night sky.

The person is the "Keeper of the Night" or the "Keeper of the Realm of Dreams". What does the individual do to fulfill that role?

Excellent! Also, I've never read Silmarillion--probably good to know about Varda, lest I inadvertently plagiarize Tolkien. :p

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Wrote 1800 words today. 1700 words yesterday. More today planned. 70% done with the scenes in this WIP so far.

My two main characters are stuck in a huge cave by a snow storm. They aren't talking to each other at the moment. Should I almost kill them with cold or hunger? I think the latter, as caves normally keep a pretty constant temp despite outside conditions.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Whokay! I have begun witchering and it scratches my skyrim itch nicely. :D Except the horses aren't ATVs to my knowledge.... Boo!

Wrote 1800 words today. 1700 words yesterday. More today planned. 70% done with the scenes in this WIP so far.

My two main characters are stuck in a huge cave by a snow storm. They aren't talking to each other at the moment. Should I almost kill them with cold or hunger? I think the latter, as caves normally keep a pretty constant temp despite outside conditions.

Ahh, GD, how I enjoy your general air of nessness*! :D Caves can surely get chilly enough in snow times for deathification??? Or just below comfortable/safe temperatures by themselves? *is not a spelunker*

*"Nessness" from me means something like je ne sais quoi

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and missed a quote!!! :eek: GD your blurb is good in my totes professional purview! It was the other thing that wasn't working for me, the goddess waking thing? Like, yeah, I'll most def dare!!! :p

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

Do they get some recovery time afterward, or will they need to immediately do stuff and things? I think someone could recover from cold faster than starvation, depending on extremity of course.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score

Nice! Mine fell off a cliff today. Life of a writer. haha!

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Kindergarten survived a trip to the museum with no broken artifacts and my blood pressure at a healthy level. Ye gods, humans were not built for that much stress in one morning before lunch.

This is Winks at the end of Day 1 of Ohmergawd, what was I thinking cutting frou frou coffee / soda / fast food / junk food / and most processed foods to curb sugar intake.

*remembers she did this because cold turkey is the only effective method for her, even if she gets a mite pissy*

It gets better! You'll be amazed at how sweet fruit suddenly becomes in just a few days. The junk food is the hardest thing for me to completely cut, since my diet is really low fat and those cravings get strong. I've been thinking of doing Whole30 when school gets out, but the whole death to legumes mindset depresses me a bit. I made spicy sweet potato hash with spinach and red cabbage for lunch, and it was really satisfying. :)

Having the unfortunate circumstance of being able to commiserate with you, LAM (broken feet in back to back years), you can do upper body strength training if you are sitting on a bench - curls, bench presses...oh, and you can do sit ups! And girl push ups so you aren't on your toe. Let's see...and the stationary bike depending on how you have your toe wrapped. Maybe the rowing machine? That one was always tough for me since I was wearing an air boot. You can also swim! Just be careful getting out of the pool.

Food for thought.

:Hug2:for your poor feet! Please don't laugh but...I'm one of those women that's deathly afraid of arm-workouts. I know I shouldn't be, and there's no logic to it whatsoever, but I look at that corner of the gym and have no idea how anything works, and the men are always being super manly and loud, so I stay in my nice little cardio corner. I'm slowly branching out though!

I'm going to give knee push ups a shot! I looked at different ways to put your feet (mine were flat parallel to the ground, like in cow pose) and I found a cool way where you can stick your feet up. Thank you! :)

Still, is this lousy timing ("Oh, you copied the movie!") or serendipitous ("If you like The Mummy, you'll love Call of the Morrigu!")? Or neither? Steams me.

Seconding serendipitous. :)

Gaaah, I'm falling behind on my writing goals, so what do I do? Sign up for a flash fic challenge. Mary, why?? Guess I was hoping it would lit a fire (you know, other than irritation and panic). There's no stress behind the deadline; no prize or judging. Just for "fun".

Anyway, here's my prompt:
44016ce275397f515f4a90574f6ee9b4.jpg

Any ideas for me? (of the less than 1k kind) More random the better!

This makes me think of someone who touched a meteorite and now they're 'star marked' by the sky.

The game is "The Witcher III", because it was supe's cheap on Humble Bundle

:troll

Starve those suckers until they hallucinate about eating sticks.

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Kindergarten survived a trip to the museum with no broken artifacts and my blood pressure at a healthy level. Ye gods, humans were not built for that much stress in one morning before lunch.

One of the benefits of teaching Sunday school is, no field trips. The kids get crazy enough inside the classroom. Out in public? Oh gosh... *shudders in terror at the mere thought* 0.o

It gets better! You'll be amazed at how sweet fruit suddenly becomes in just a few days.
QFT. I've gotten so I have a bowl of fresh fruit for breakfast on days my mom isn't home to cook. I don't put any sugar on or anything and it tastes great and hydrates me and just plain *feels* healthy to eat.

@Tiddly, you know one thing I've found that perks up fruit other than sugar? Freshly grated ginger. You should totally try it! (assuming you're not allergic or anything like that...) It doesn't taste great on melons or most berries, but if you have yourself a bowl of fresh oranges, kiwis, apples, and grapes, just grate that ginger right on top and it makes it soooo fresh and bright tasting! I love it! <3

This makes me think of someone who touched a meteorite and now they're 'star marked' by the sky.
OoooooOOOOOOOoooh, you know what *that* makes me think of? The story feyngirl wrote me for Sysyfus called, "The Heart of the Forest"! It was soooo good and a girl actually touched a star!!!!* If she's still willing to share it, I definitely recommend making the request to read it because, again, IT WAS SOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!! *fangirl flailing*

*not a spoiler because that bit was based off the picture I gave as the prompt where a girl was reaching for a star. I won't tell you why or how she touched the star or what she did with it afterwards, though!!!

Um... I think I came here to say something other than flailing with excessive exclamation points, but it has now left my mind.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice! Mine fell off a cliff today. Life of a writer. haha!

Indeed! I decided to starve them.

Do they get some recovery time afterward, or will they need to immediately do stuff and things? I think someone could recover from cold faster than starvation, depending on extremity of course.

They do. In fact, I decided to make them move from the cave (digging out of the snow) before they got too bad. Rats had eaten their supplies.

Oh, and missed a quote!!! :eek: GD your blurb is good in my totes professional purview! It was the other thing that wasn't working for me, the goddess waking thing? Like, yeah, I'll most def dare!!! :p

Yay! Thank you!

Starve those suckers until they hallucinate about eating sticks.

Ha!

Maybe I'll get them to that point before they dig themselves out. One is 8 months pregnant, though, so she can't help much. The other is her grandfather.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Maybe I'll get them to that point before they dig themselves out. One is 8 months pregnant, though, so she can't help much. The other is her grandfather.

Whoa whoa whoa. Eight months pregnant, and freezing, AND starving? That's going to stretch my disbelief a little much. We've fallen into thinking that pregnancy isn't so bad, but under the kind of conditions you're talking about, I'd expect odds are good that she'll lose the pregnancy if not die herself. It's possible for both of them to survive, but that better not be treated lightly, as if that were a simple thing to recover from. There's good reason why maternity leave lasts six to eight weeks minimum. And that's assuming good healthcare.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Mornin' Cantina. Weird dreams again last night. I think it must be because of the impending lady issues. Got places to go today. Will sit and read through my dad's podiatrist appointment, the got to go sign paperwork for the summer job and discuss the curriculum we're suppose to use. I'm sure my mom will want more housecleaning done too. I'll squeeze words in where I can.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all! I'm hoping to Get Stuff Done Today (tm).

It's gonna be rip-roaring hot today. Already the heat caused my poor husband (hereafter referred to as "Etolus") to wake up with a severe headache to the point of nausea. Hopefully not a full migraine yet, but I suggested he at least take the morning off to see how he felt, and he conceded.

I'm pretty well set for my preparations to attend the Nebulas starting tomorrow. Got my logline, elevator speech, & business cards ready. I've updated my website, putting a little more flesh on the bones. All I need to do now is print a schedule, mark which events & panels I'd like to attend, hammer down some logistics and prep a day bag. Oh, and also get the last-minute panics because why not? ^.^

Also, I may have had a preview of some of the cookies that will be available in the Nebula con suite >.> I had movie night at a friend's house last night (which was actually Catching-Up-On-Steven-Universe night) and one of said friends will be helping run the con suite, and was doing a flurry of baking. Specifically, one of the cookies she made was a delightful pumpkin-craisin recipe which is egg-free and vegan friendly ^.^ I did not, unfortunately, get to sample the chocolate chip cookies, because those weren't done yet. Hopefully I will be able to visit the con suite and stuff my face with cookies while trying to convince potential editors that I wordz well.

Urg. Sinus headache from hell today. Lots to do too. Mowing, laundry vacuuming etc. Luckily only light editing stuff.

Thinking of creating a platform to put on my treadmill so I can edit while I'm walking. Since I'm on the treadmill for a bout 1.5 hours to get my 4+ miles in, it makes sense to multitask if I'm on deadline (like yesterday). Or I can use that time to write. Either way it's better.

Guess it's the day for headaches :( I hope you feel better soon! Today also appears to be the day for mixing up Thursdays and Wednesdays, which has already affected three people in my office circle and it's not even 10 am.

The platform on the treadmill thing is a good idea. When I managed to snag an old treadmill from a friend of mine, I thought of doing the same thing so I could prop up my netbook on there, though I'm not sure how to accomplish it in a way that would be stable :\

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Gaaah, I'm falling behind on my writing goals, so what do I do? Sign up for a flash fic challenge. Mary, why?? Guess I was hoping it would lit a fire (you know, other than irritation and panic). There's no stress behind the deadline; no prize or judging. Just for "fun".

Anyway, here's my prompt:
44016ce275397f515f4a90574f6ee9b4.jpg

Any ideas for me? (of the less than 1k kind) More random the better!

Okay, so an enormous galactic being, made entirely of dark matter and stars, decides to become a hand model. The photographer is a famous Austrian photographer, and he's like:
"Show me those starry digits! Sehr gut! You are fierce cosmic entity, yah? Fabulous, fabulous!" He's taking pictures, very fast now. Says, "Have you been moisturizing? The stars are very bright tonight."

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It gets better! You'll be amazed at how sweet fruit suddenly becomes in just a few days. The junk food is the hardest thing for me to completely cut, since my diet is really low fat and those cravings get strong. I've been thinking of doing Whole30 when school gets out, but the whole death to legumes mindset depresses me a bit. I made spicy sweet potato hash with spinach and red cabbage for lunch, and it was really satisfying. :)

I seem to recall seeing that the removal of legumes in the Whole 30 diet is because it was originally designed to diagnose food allergies and legumes are a common allergen. If you aren't allergic, you can (theoretically) modify the diet to retain some legumes and still have beneficial effects.

Checked with the doctors office and they still don't have my report on the x-rays from Monday. Hmm. Oh, well. It won't change the care regimen, I just would kind of like to know what's going on.

Aggy, so very sore

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Awww.

I've had a grand total of one headache in my entire life, and I'm fairly sure it had something to do with the fact that I'd fallen about fifteen feet onto concrete the previous afternoon...

My mother swears by Excedrin, though.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm one of the lucky few not prone to headaches. In fact, if one comes upon me (maybe once every two years or so?) I can concentrate and make it slip away. My husband is very envious of this talent, as he has suffered from migraines in the past.

No writing yet today, but I squeezed in an extra 500 words last night for 4200 yesterday. I should get more writing time at 3pm. Now I'm off to tour one of our company's manufacturing plants - the one that makes Gorilla Glass :D

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so an enormous galactic being, made entirely of dark matter and stars, decides to become a hand model. The photographer is a famous Austrian photographer, and he's like:
"Show me those starry digits! Sehr gut! You are fierce cosmic entity, yah? Fabulous, fabulous!" He's taking pictures, very fast now. Says, "Have you been moisturizing? The stars are very bright tonight."
Haha HA. Now that's random, thank you :D

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Awww.

I've had a grand total of one headache in my entire life, and I'm fairly sure it had something to do with the fact that I'd fallen about fifteen feet onto concrete the previous afternoon...

My mother swears by Excedrin, though.

Both the Etolus and I are prone to headaches. It doesn't help that both of us have a lot of daily screen time. Very rarely, he'll get migraines, but I've thankfully avoided that problem. But we never go anywhere without packing some Aleve.

I'm one of the lucky few not prone to headaches. In fact, if one comes upon me (maybe once every two years or so?) I can concentrate and make it slip away. My husband is very envious of this talent, as he has suffered from migraines in the past.

No writing yet today, but I squeezed in an extra 500 words last night for 4200 yesterday. I should get more writing time at 3pm. Now I'm off to tour one of our company's manufacturing plants - the one that makes Gorilla Glass :D

Lucky, indeed! Headaches are Not Fun.

I am rather envious of your word count! I've had a lot of trouble fitting in writing time over the past few months, and after I finished my latest draft on AMF and sent that off to beta readers, my muse was just DONE. I gave her a few weeks off, but now I'm trying to get back on the wagon with regular writing time and it's tough.

I did get myself a small portable word processor, though, which I'm hoping helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.