Status
Not open for further replies.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hi Cantina. Since it's Mother's Day my mom decided she wanted to get take-out from Olive Garden for lunch and Cheesecake Factory fir dessert. So. That should be good. :)

Happy Mother's Day to all y'all moms!

Sprocketwatch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Sprocket! Welcome to the Cantina.

Thanks for the welcome, Rel! :)

Hi Cantina. Since it's Mother's Day my mom decided she wanted to get take-out from Olive Garden for lunch and Cheesecake Factory fir dessert. So. That should be good. :)

Happy Mother's Day to all y'all moms!

That sounds good. My mom opted to cook up a seafood fest. I tried to cook the meal for her, but she shooed me out of the kitchen.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
That sounds good. My mom opted to cook up a seafood fest. I tried to cook the meal for her, but she shooed me out of the kitchen.

8d52d7180c7b79e7329492d5c6b48df8_oh-hai-cat-meme-lolcat-oh-hai-memes_500-500_zpsupsvzwsp.jpeg

Welcome to the Cantina, Sprocket!:welcome:

Hehe, funny how some moms are like that. :) If I'd offered to cook, my mom would have dropped everything and said, "Of course you can! I'll be over here if you need me." :p

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Mother's Day, Cantina!

My mom and I spent the day at a local nursery then planting our purchases.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! As soon as I'm free of the kiddos, I will investigate these fun, fluffy books.

Happy Mommy Day to all the Cantina moms. :)

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Happy mothers day to all the amazing mom writers out there--I sincerely don't know how you do it, but you have my respect!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina. Yeeerg, I'm sleepy. Had weird dreams last night. In my sleepiness I also just accidentally entered a giveaway for a bunch of mermaid themed e-books thinking they were physical books. You could get up to 11 entries by doing the social media sharing things and I got up to 7 before I realized the title of the giveaway said "ebooks" right there in bold black letters. *facepalm* I don't have an e-reader and therefore really don't want 12 e-books to read on my phone/computer and strain the crud out if my eyes, so uh, here's hoping I *don't* win that one. :p

My mom is now officially on vacation for a couple weeks and she's bound and determined the house is getting cleaned. We've needed to clean the carpet for a while now, but before kitty passed he was getting incontinent and didn't always make it to the litter box. We cleaned up after him as best as we could in the main part of the house, obviously, but the carpet in the room previously dedicated to the cats and their litter boxes is absolutely disgusting. We'd actually tried to rent a carpet cleaner before now but the only place we knew to rent them actually went out of business last year. So... there was a big ol' sale a Kohls this past weekend and my mom got all the coupons and we powershopped, and along with some new clothes, we bought ourselves our first very own carpet cleaner (one that we read is supposed to be good with pet stains) for half price.:snoopy: The cat's room (now just the spare room) is getting completely and totally cleaned. The first real total cleaning it's had in years. That should be...fun.

Anyway, today I shall do words.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
"Every expert was once a beginner with expert expectations." Yeah, that just about sums it!

Re: the logline, it's short and pithy but IMHO I dont' think it sounds particularly unique. If I saw that as a descriptor, I'd assume it was an academic or at least non-fiction treatment. Not necessarily a story I'd be intrigued to read, but useful for research on the topic.

Ah - logline, tagline... I get confused. But yes, that's my author-sum-up line. I guess you're right, it doesn't sound particularly fictiony. But I've also written guide books that are nonfiction, so perhaps it's not totally out of line.

I've not figured out a logline for my current WIP yet. It's only 2/3 done so far. However, my book coming out in July is: "Do you dare wake a goddess?"

Anyone intrigued? :D

What you're describing GD is a tagline. Not the same thing as a logline.

Yeah. I get confused easily, evidently :D

Hi folks, mind if I join?

*sips medium-brewed coffee*

Yesterday, was a good day. I treated my mom, my aunt, and my sister to a tea room for an early Mother’s Day celebration. That was fun. And it was certainly more fun than if I’d gone with just my mother. Finding neutral yet interesting topics of conversation isn’t as easy as I always hope it to be, and inevitably things will shift to the personal. It can be difficult to talk with her about my goals and dreams. It gets suffocated by the weight of expectations- both hers and mine. Thankfully, the conversation remained on the tea and the food that accompanied it. It was delicious. I’m glad we get to store that as a happy memory in our minds.

Drop the medium-brewed and get some of the strong stuff, newbie! We have chthulu-brewed dark.

This weekend was both good and bad. I was a vendor at the Rochester Lilac Festival for my jewelry. I did poorly, but not horribly. Made about half of what I normally would for a weekend, and covered expenses for both weekends. Hopefully next weekend's sales at this festival will make up for that. Weather was iffy, including about 10 minutes of HAIL. Yes, hail. Grrrr. Also, my husband, macho idiot that he is, decided to carry down the cooler and the luggage at the same time, down the rickety antique stairs of our airbnb. Of course, he tripped and fell on his knee, putting him mostly out of commission Sunday and likely most of the week. Why is testosterone poisoning so toxic??

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and house repair update: Roof can be done in conjunction with closing, and funds taken from closing funds. Yay! Mold issue has come up, insurance company called, adjustors being dispatched. Sigh. Electrical will be about $1000.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Was a traffic accident right outside, somebody drove straight into a telephone pole. Seems like somebody might have had a neck injury and there was a baby in the car. Well, baby seat, anyway. Hope no one got hurt too badly.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Effby: Rubbing alcohol can be effective at helping to lift pet stains (especially in conjunction with actual carpet cleaning). I usually just squirt a liberal amount on each stain, then clean with the carpet cleaner as instructed. (Do be aware that if the carpet has a lot of color to it, the alcohol might make the color run. I've never had an issue with *carpets* like that, but it can act as a solvent on poorly set dyes.)

Went to the doctor. Got a chest x-ray. They're supposed to call me if they find a fracture. In the meantime, I've been instructed to use a small pillow as a splint when I cough.

Aggy, naptime

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, folks! In my little dribbles of free time this weekend, I made progress on my going-to-the-Nebulas prep ^.^ I updated my website, set up an author email account, and designed a business card that I need to take to Kinko's tonight for printing. I just need to work out some more logistics and work on my novel's logline/elevator speech.

Ah - logline, tagline... I get confused. But yes, that's my author-sum-up line. I guess you're right, it doesn't sound particularly fictiony. But I've also written guide books that are nonfiction, so perhaps it's not totally out of line.

I've not figured out a logline for my current WIP yet. It's only 2/3 done so far. However, my book coming out in July is: "Do you dare wake a goddess?"

That does sound intriguing!

For the author tagline on my business card, I ended up landing on "Words and Wonders." I hope it nicely sums up that 1) I'm a fantasy writer, and 2) it evokes the kind of stories I like to write.

Was a traffic accident right outside, somebody drove straight into a telephone pole. Seems like somebody might have had a neck injury and there was a baby in the car. Well, baby seat, anyway. Hope no one got hurt too badly.

Oh no! I hope so too :(

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

That, also, is a tagline, not a logline.

Taglines certainly have a place in book sales, but when an agent asks about a MS you want a logline - a 1-2 sentence summary of who the MC is, what they want, what's stopping them, and what they will overcome to get it/what happens if they fail.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
"An accidental Irish antiquarian wakes an ancient Irish war goddess in 1798. And she's pissed."

Try "In 1798, an accidental Irish antiquarian wakes an ancient Irish war goddess. And she's pissed." instead - flows a bit better as well as leaving no space between 'Irish war goddess' and 'pissed'.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
That, also, is a tagline, not a logline.

Taglines certainly have a place in book sales, but when an agent asks about a MS you want a logline - a 1-2 sentence summary of who the MC is, what they want, what's stopping them, and what they will overcome to get it/what happens if they fail.

Okay, I came up with one but I'm curious to see if it does or doesn't work, or could be improved. I tried to sum up the story in a way that would flow decently if spoken. It still feels...I dunno, 'eh'?

"A folk heroine whose magic comes from the tales people tell about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories, who wants to remake the world in his own image."

Alternatively: "A folk heroine whose magic comes from the tales people tell about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories. And she has to do it before he's the only story left in the world."

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
One of the reasons I love frequenting the Cantina is because of all the things I learn here. Lesson of the day: Loglines. :)

ION: I just did some research and discovered that, yesterday, I single-handedly and unknowingly managed to pick the #1 most unhealthy cheesecake the Cheesecake factory has. :/ A single slice of Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and Chocolate Cake Cheesecake has 1,500 stinking calories! Good thing I divided it into fourths and am eating only one fourth on separate days, huh? *stays on the stationary bicycle for forever*

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I came up with one but I'm curious to see if it does or doesn't work, or could be improved. I tried to sum up the story in a way that would flow decently if spoken. It still feels...I dunno, 'eh'?

"A folk heroine whose magic comes from the tales people tell about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories, who wants to remake the world in his own image."

Alternatively: "A folk heroine whose magic comes from the tales people tell about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories. And she has to do it before he's the only story left in the world."

I definitely like the second one better. If I was just given the logline and no other information, I'd definitely pick up the book and give it a go. From there, it's up to the first chapter or so to make me keep reading.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

I like the second one best two. Sounds like just the kind of story I'd be curious to read. :)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
"An accidental Irish antiquarian wakes an ancient Irish war goddess in 1798. And she's pissed."

I like it. I can't tell whether accidental refers to him being Irish or an antiquarian, but it's interesting either way. Though I'm a little afraid it's really trying to refer to accidentally waking the goddess.

"A folk heroine whose magic comes from the tales people tell about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories, who wants to remake the world in his own image." I don't think that last phrase is adding enough to keep it.

Alternatively: "A folk heroine whose magic comes from the tales people tell about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories. And she has to do it before he's the only story left in the world." This one is more interesting but it's making the whole thing a little too long.

Good start.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
How about shortening that second one to "A folk heroine whose magic comes from tales about her must stop a man with the power to erase stories--before he's the only story left."?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
It really is his status as an antiquarian that's accidental. He's digging things up as his great-grandfather did, before 'archaeology' was a thing. He's basically an idle rich retired professor who gets a bee in his bonnet about making some cool discovery. He finds a goddess.

I rather like the alliteration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.