The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Bha... was going to submit a flash piece for an anthology and realized that the anthology is for 1st pov and this story wouldn't work as well that way. So off to market #2 that one goes and I'm wondering now if I can cobble together a 1st POV quickly.

I still need to write the second story for this month anyway.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen all of both TNG and DS9 and I would say go with TNG first because unlike Voyager, both largely take place in the same sector of space and TNG is first chronologically. One main character in DS9 comes to where he is largely because of major events in TNG, one minor character from the TNG Enterprise becomes a major one on DS9, one major character transfers from TNG to DS9 in a later DS9 season and a number of plot threads from TNG are carried on or alluded to in DS9. TNG is also the first series to introduce the Cardasians (a major player in DS9) and the Ferengi (though that doesn't mean much as the initial iteration of them barely resemble their DS9 appearance at all).

By the time you hit the later seasons of TNG and start getting more frequent references to the Cardassians and the Maqis, you're about caught up timeline-wise with season 1 of DS9.

As for series quality, I would say TNG, especially early seasons, had lower lows than DS9 but they both hit very high highs. TNG was rebooting Trek after a 30 year hiatus and took a while to work the bugs out while DS9 had the experienced teams from TNG to draw on.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
OK! Scene list for Misfortune of Song crafted. 53 scenes. A bit light for me, but I'm sure I'll shove in a couple more here and there. It's early days yet.

Dual POV - from Maelan's (grandfather) POV, as he's the main character, and Orlagh's (granddaughter) POV as the secondary character. She's an old woman in Misfortune of Vision, but a 17 year old in this prequel.

Ah, the foolish fancies of young love. Enough to drive any grandfather mad with rage and frustration. Especially one that has to deal with Mad Fae Lords. Oh yes, Ammatan is back. Well, he was always there.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
OK! Scene list for Misfortune of Song crafted. 53 scenes. A bit light for me, but I'm sure I'll shove in a couple more here and there. It's early days yet.

Dual POV - from Maelan's (grandfather) POV, as he's the main character, and Orlagh's (granddaughter) POV as the secondary character. She's an old woman in Misfortune of Vision, but a 17 year old in this prequel.

Ah, the foolish fancies of young love. Enough to drive any grandfather mad with rage and frustration. Especially one that has to deal with Mad Fae Lords. Oh yes, Ammatan is back. Well, he was always there.

GD, I don't mean this critically, but, why are you writing your stories backwards??? :s Like, chronologically and stuff, I mean... It's like, it baffles me, how do you manage it?! :eek: I can barely write forwards, there's no way I could write backwards! You impress me no end.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Disappointed. I was looking forward to going back to twice weekly Yoga classes (free!), but no one was at the gym. But it is possible that they are hiatus because of spring break. Have to find out about Thursday.

So off the word mines I go. I'll hit the treadmill for an hour when I take a break in about 3 hours.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
TNG has both Q and the Borg. And Data. (Although I did just read a long thread on Twitter talking about what a creeper Roddenberry was and how that influenced the female characters on both the original StarTrek and TNG.)

I also read this. And was generally throughly disgusted. And then depressed to realise not much has changed when it comes to powerful men and them sexually harassing their subordinates.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
GD, I don't mean this critically, but, why are you writing your stories backwards??? :s Like, chronologically and stuff, I mean... It's like, it baffles me, how do you manage it?! :eek: I can barely write forwards, there's no way I could write backwards! You impress me no end.

I didn't start out to do so. But I wrote the first book, and the story was done - and I was intrigued by the main character's great-aunt's story. So the next book was about her. And then she had an intriguing grandfather, so I decided the whole bloody series would go backwards.

My publisher argued against this, but she's really liking it now.

I did this by being a planner. After the first two books, I planned out the basic plots (one paragraph) of ALL the books, nine in total. Three trilogies, one in the 18-19th centuries, one in the 11-12th centuries, one in the 5th-6th centuries. Full story arcs that resolve in the final book (which is the first, chronologically). A little more fantasy in each, a bit more glimpse of Faerie in each. More clues to the origins of the brooch in each.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hey, Aggy? Does possum buddy have a favorite fruit? The one visiting my back porch seems very partial to banana, the more rotten the better. Just wondering if it's a general possum thing or if individuals preffer different fruits. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I think we have a winner - TNG before DS9. :) Also, egads, so many Trekkies here! I don't think any other series has prompted so many quick replies from so many people. :D

And yep, I do plan on looking into Babylon 5 at some point. But probably after I've gorged myself on Star Trek. I'm thinking maybe do TNG and DS9, then take a break before trying out the original series and that new Enterprise series. So much sci-fi to watch!

Oh, and EFB, nope, I haven't reached that episode yet. You started watching Voyager a fair bit before I did, I think. A month or two earlier maybe? Except if I recall, you've been watching it on TV, whereas I have the DVDs... So I may yet overtake you! Mwuahaahahaha! (Don't worry - I avoid giving spoilers, because I hate getting spoilers myself. Nobody in this thread has spoiled anything for me just yet, mind.)

Oh, and Cobra - the Fear and Tuvix episodes really unsettled me. Again, not going to give spoilers, but they definitely made me think. Tuvix moreso than the Fear episode.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hey all. Does anyone have any recs for urban fantasy where the MC isn't a detective, there's still a crime involved, and if there is a love interest, it's not the focus?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Aggy? Does possum buddy have a favorite fruit? The one visiting my back porch seems very partial to banana, the more rotten the better. Just wondering if it's a general possum thing or if individuals preffer different fruits. :)
Argh. Somehow this ate my response earlier. Possum Buddy's favorite is grapes. He had a sibling that didn't survive who loved banana though. And the mushier the better. :)

Hey all. Does anyone have any recs for urban fantasy where the MC isn't a detective, there's still a crime involved, and if there is a love interest, it's not the focus?

Maybe "The Shambling Guide" (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHVZ8) I can't tell if it has a crime or not. I read a teeny bit of it at the bookstore a couple years ago and it was pretty fun.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Psst. Maggie! I just noticed that you still have a link to the Sisyphus sign-up thread in your signature. I think it might be a little late now. :D

I really need to pay more attention to people's sigs, actually. I got into the habit long, long ago of reading the post content, and then scrolling past the sigs without paying much attention. It's efficient when you have lots of threads to read (with lots of posts in each) and not much time, but I probably miss out on a lot of cool stuff. And apparently there were some guessing hints in people's sigs this year, too! Ack! I fail at foruming.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. :tongue

In other news, I seem to have burnt myself out on Voyager for the time being. 10 episodes on Monday, 7 on Tuesday, and now 3 today. Before that, it was more like 1 or 2 per day, and I expect that's the pace I'll resume. Because yeah... Definitely less enthusiastic before each episode today. Still a quality show, but I didn't have that, "Gotta watch 1 more, just 1 more!" thing. So rather than force the issue, I'll be slowing down, probably.

Which is probably a good thing. Money's been a bit tight recently, due to some computer issues needing to be fixed, and I really don't want to blow through the entire series too soon, because then I'll have to find the cash for TNG. If I spread it out a bit more, hopefully the money situation will be a bit better before I hit the end of the show.

JonnyTheDean

Registered
Reaction score
I just can't watch Voyager any more after reading the interviews with Ronald D Moore about the ideas he was pitching and having shot down, which were vastly superior to the show we ended up with.

The idea that, by the time they got back to the Alpha Quadrant that they would have an entirely different culture, customs, cuisine, etc. the ship would be unrecognisable with the amount of alien additions bolted on, the corridors cluttered with hasty repair work and sprawling hydroponics in every available space...

Instead they ditched half of the core concept immediately because they wanted to be Next Gen instead.

I mean, how does it even make logical sense to bang on about replicator rations to conserve energy and then decide to leave a holodeck running permanently?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
From what I understand, Bab5 concept was pitched and the ST franchise ran with it. As an apology for 'stealing a march' on the idea, Majel Barrett appeared in an episode of Bab5 in one of the later seasons (she played a Centauri prophetess).

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've just come upon a true clusterfrack. Somehow, someway, the novel has been spliced, diced and tossed like a salad. i'm going to have to recreate each scene/chapter because it is just so messed up. HOW? I have no fracking idea, however I do suspect the cats were involved. Either that or leaving the netbook but in sleep mode somehow did this.
At least this will give me the opportunity to fix some things as I go and maybe go ahead and delete some scenes that I'll probably not need. *grumbles and readjusts her writing schedule.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, whatever it was that was causing the excess nose itching and snot seems to be passing. Had to take a decongestant to clear out my sinuses today, though, because they had gotten all stopped up and hurting.

Currently sitting in the waiting room of the podiatrist who I mentioned has the skeleton she dresses up according to the seasons and has all the quirky signs on the walls. Now she's added a magic wand on the wall for those who expect her to perform miracles. :p

Argh. Somehow this ate my response earlier. Possum Buddy's favorite is grapes. He had a sibling that didn't survive who loved banana though. And the mushier the better. :)

So cute!
The possum who visits the compost bucket on my back porch definitely prefers bananas to grapes. There were some slightly moldy grapes out there last night, but my mom had put a half rotten banana on the railing to see if it would find it and it totally bypassed the grapes and sniffed its was straight to the banana. It had to put forth some effort to haul itself up there, but it was a very happy possum when it finally got there.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Possums eat ticks and also scorpions and spiders. They are omnivores, but apparently a bit lazy (hence their love of trash). I've been told they are capable of killing a chicken, but I have a feeling most of them don't do that kind of hunting despite having some hefty canines. But Possum Buddy is fond of an egg over easy. It is funny watching them climb - they are not particularly graceful, but the prehensile tail is fascinating to watch in action.

Trying to get some words down but really wanting to take a nap. Although I'm feeling better in general now more than last week, but still a little fatigued.

Aggy, naaaaaappppppp

Status
Not open for further replies.