Not open for further replies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Good morning Cantina.

Sisyphus submission is on the to-do list today. The story's done, just needs tinkering with odd sentences here and there.

It's a 15 in the UK, which makes sense from what I've heard about it - I haven't seen the film. To get an 18 here (which the studios would NOT have wanted) the violence would have to be quite graphically detailed, interpersonal, more likely in a realistic context than a fantasy one, sadistic or sexualised.

The American R does admit underage accompanied children, as the Australian MA does - UK 15s and 18s are mandatory age ratings. I have noticed that UK 18s often get Australian MAs, with only the stronger 18s getting Rs. I also noticed (okay, the branch of JB Hifi I went to in Adelaide) that R-rated films have their own shelf with a warning that they "contain material some might find offensive". That's not the case here - 18s are mixed in with other age ratings on UK shop shelves.

Is it true you can't show R-rated films unedited on Australian (non-subscription) TV?

Children in adults-only films is nothing new, and they usually have either their parents or a chaperone on set, and aren't in the same frame as the adults-only stuff. I'm thinking of Jodie Foster playing a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver at age twelve.

I don't know about the subscription TV question, but I have heard of films that are apparently "undateable", and that's pretty much a death sentence for distribution cause, well, you can't distribute.

Also, MA is a mandatory thing. MA means no-one under 16 (ID has to be shown at the door), R is 18+ (again ID has to be shown at the door)

M (15+) is an advisory rating, and if you have someone older than 15 (or 16, or you yourself look old enough, or they can't be bothered), they'll let you in. You don't need ID for it.

Yup, free Ben & Jerry's. There are about 30 minicups of it in the freezer for 5 of us.

:D Free Ben and Jerry's is always excellent

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ION, I have spent the last 30 minutes talking to various people in social security (centrelink ftw). I've just returned from the UK so don't have any of the country appropriate forms that are generally needed to sort these things out. Or an aussie tax return from our last finical year, cause I wasn't an aussie tax resident. *sighs* Ah well. The customer service people are learning new stuff today.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I now know I'm insane.
I have a friend who is writing his first book. EVER. He wants to self-pub. He contacted me wanting me to edit it. I told him I'd do a developmental edit first and see where we go from there. I'm expecting my eyes to bleed and he's admitted he rarely reads and his inspiration is TWD. And yes I added a PITA fee to the DE fee because I've peeked at it and I'll be getting a mighty big headache.

But he's seen my editing style and wants to work with me. So I guess in 2-3 weeks, I'll be having some fun wiping bloody tears. :D LOL

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I have to get my taxes done tomorrow night. I'm missing trivia for this. Not happy.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well...okay.:guns: Would you like a blindfold?

I'm sorry, that was a terrible joke. :tongue

:welcome: to the Cantina, Argon! I'm sure someone will be along to get you some real shots soon. :)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
5th short story of the year finished. It's 1200 words. Flash sized. If market 1 doesn't accept it, I'll send it to market 2. That is after a rest period and some edits.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Sian, I thought MA was also 15+ (but different to M in the way you described). No? Or perhaps it used to be and is different now?

I'll admit, I haven't paid much attention to age limits lately. I'm finally old enough that I look over 18 for everything... I'm 32, but have a very young-looking face, to the point where I was getting carded at 27. :tongue

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Been a while since I had to come up with ID too (except in the USA, but I think that's because their ages for alcohol are 21 and not 18). *googles*

Yeah, both are 15+, only is obligatory, one is advisory. So ID for one, no ID for the other.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
My Switch came! Yay!

No games yet, though, and apparently the screen is liable to get scratched by the dock, so I haven't actually unpacked it yet because I want a screen protector on it first thing.

It's sort of exciting just having the system isn't it? I don't have the Switch yet, but I remember when I got the Wii sans games, and just looking at it made me giddy.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I got Zelda! Zelda! Zelda! Zelda! I forgot that that might happen and that the Switch Joy Cons would need charging, so I hadn't unpacked the Switch until just now. Actually, I didn't know I would get Zelda, but my preorder from one store was cancelled so I ordered it from another here in Denmark so I could go pick it up today.

It's sort of exciting just having the system isn't it? I don't have the Switch yet, but I remember when I got the Wii sans games, and just looking at it made me giddy.
Just looking at the Amazon box made me giddy. The box made me giddy. I grinned like an idiot while ooing over the controllers and how tiny they are. Then I coughed, because I'm still sick. I may also have done an atrocious job of applying the screen protector, but at least there's now no scratches.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*looks up Switch price* 0.0 *backs away slowly*

Mornin' Cantina. My dad's got an appointment with his retinologist today. For whatever reason they take a very long time, so I'll probably have 2 hours at least to sit in the waiting room and read. Until then, I should really get focused on my writing since I'll lose the rest of the day after we leave the house.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Eh, the Switch is low-priced for a home console. The PS3 was $500-600 depending on what hard drive size you wanted. $299 is reasonable, especially for the technological innovations it makes for gaming.

I want one, but we're gonna wait on it. We've barely paid our WiiU any attention. We'll wait for more of a backlist of games we want for the Switch before jumping in.

Last edited:

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
5th short story of the year finished. It's 1200 words. Flash sized. If market 1 doesn't accept it, I'll send it to market 2. That is after a rest period and some edits.

Wow, 5 stories in 2.5 months! #goals :Jump:

Wheeee! :partyguy:

How's the Cantina this morning? Weather is horrendous, so I'll be snuggy and wordsing right up to the part where I have to go to the ice rink. :e2smack: I'm so close to finishing this draft, but this is also a crazy week with ice skating show/finals/wrap up. Since it's all done volunteer, I have to help with decorating, costumes, pictures, baking, working concession stand and end of the year clean up. And of course, taking sister to all her practices, rehearsals and shows. Getting words in where I can...

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Eh, the Switch is low-priced for a home console. The PS3 was $500-600 depending on what hard drive size you wanted. $299 is reasonable, especially for the technological innovations it makes for gaming.

I want one, but we're gonna wait on it. We've barely paid our WiiU any attention. We'll wait for more of a backlist of games we want for the Switch before jumping in.
Hmm. The price I saw was $400-ish, which may still be lower than the PS3 was, but is still a lot for me. ($299 is still a lot for me)

I'd actually prefer to get the WiiU over the Switch if I was buying right this minute. At least I know it has games I want to play, the new Legend of Zelda being one of them. But again, there's that whole money issue...

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hmm. The price I saw was $400-ish, which may still be lower than the PS3 was, but is still a lot for me. ($299 is still a lot for me)

I'd actually prefer to get the WiiU over the Switch if I was buying right this minute. At least I know it has games I want to play, the new Legend of Zelda being one of them. But again, there's that whole money issue...

The $400s are resellers trying to make a quick buck by buying up as many as they could find. Happens with every new tech. I know it's a big chunk of change to slam down either way you slice it, though. You'd certainly have an easier time getting a WiiU.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized I typed LOTS OF WORDS yesterday.
just over 1500 on the transcription - 1 hour
Some edits on the novel killed off 800 but added 900
finished short story 800 words
blog post that still needs to be finished 600

no wonder I was tired last night.

Husband is finally feeling better. 48 hour bug. I will probably get it next. Fun Fun At least he should feel good enough to go to work today. I love my man but damn, he's annoying as hell when he's sick.

I did some more rearranging in the office yesterday too. Going to bring in a shelving unit from the garage and then get my beads organized. Right now everything's a mess. I've made room for a desk so I'll have 2 stations--1 for standing and one for sitting. Both with extra monitors. :) I still have to paint but I'm waiting to decide on the right color (some sort of pale yellow) and to find it at a discount.

And still need to get the garden going. I'll figure out how to get the palets cut this weekend. I'll have to get the screws to hold it all together. Then I get to haul all sorts of broken limbs, dead leaves, straw, compost and dirt to the backyard. I might need a wheelbarrow.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Attention!!! PSA! SOMEONE NOTICED MY FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST HOODIE!!!!!!!!!!! XD they ACTUALLY recognised the caduceus symbol on the back and AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH, I am now famous! XD

:e2bear::e2bear::e2bear::e2bear::e2bear::e2bear::e2bear:

E'rybooday DANCE now!! :whip::whip:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Attention!!! PSA! SOMEONE NOTICED MY FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST HOODIE!!!!!!!!!!! XD they ACTUALLY recognised the caduceus symbol on the back and AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH, I am now famous! XD

I have no idea what any of this means (except, of course, what a caduceus is), but CONGRATS!!

Now you're going to have to deal with paparazzi. Dang-it. :e2photo:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like sexual arousal, much reaction to horror takes place in the mind. If that is the case, surely there is nothing more horrible than cleaning an old window of many years' accumulation of paint chips, grime, dust cobwebs, cat fur, and black mold.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THAT MEANS BUT IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY THEN, YAY!:snoopy:

Like sexual arousal, much reaction to horror takes place in the mind. If that is the case, surely there is nothing more horrible than cleaning an old window of many years' accumulation of paint chips, grime, dust cobwebs, cat fur, and black mold.

I'm going to sip my McDonald's Shamrock Chocolate Chip Frappe and pretend I didn't read that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.