Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Congrats on werdz!

Watching Orphan Black. Just got into it last week. Now I'm on season 3.

Book 5 is still percolating. I'm thinking a faerie wolf is chasing the MC through the forest. But it may not be a 'bad guy'. I do need an antagonist, though.

MC - older lawful good soldier, head of the king's guard. He has to leave his post (which is a huge bad thing to him!) to find his daughter, who ran off with a gyspy bard. The wolf is chasing both of them. He fears the wolf will get them. I do have a good antagonist from the last book (an insane Fae lord) who can also work as such here, but he needs a purpose to harass them.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Alpacas are total snobs that value verbosity over content. Can't trust their opinions at all.

But... They're so fluffy.

See, that's exactly how they suck you in. They're all super fluffy and cute, then they ask if they can read you a little of their latest story, which is like Ayn Rand and James Joyce had a baby, and a few minutes later it's too late, your brain is turning to tapioca, and the alpaca drinks your liquified gray matter with a straw through your ear.

But they are pretty cute and fluffy.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is something completely completely out of the blue. JJ Litke, I found a pair of glasses that look just like yours on my local beach four weeks ago. Were you visiting Seattle?

I've lost some weight! I am not sure how it happened, but I am no longer the plumply dumpling I was around Christmas.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Mornin' Cantina. Beagle has a vet's appointment that is earlier in the day than I thought it was, so I've got to get to editing like, NOW before I have to go out.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My kitties didn't especially appreciate getting their 1-year vaccination update yesterday. However, as SOON as DH opened the cat carrier, Lana jumped right in, as if to say, "I'm ready to go home, now, daddy!"

Today I finished one review and working on another. And doing more synopsis fleshing out. I love it when 'bad guys' turn out to be 'good guys'. But I still need a good antagonist. Oh, maybe the bard is a baddie! Hmmm...

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yay words!

OK, I've writte 900 words today, but not in a story - in my plot synopsis for my next novel. Anyone want to read it over and give me feedback? I'd be most grateful! I can send it in PM if you like, or email if you prefer. Historical fantasy set in 1012 AD Ireland. There may or may not be a magical wolf and a mad fairy.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
No words yet this morning. Got up late so running slightly behind schedule. Good thing this is my light duty day.

Still have to figure out the next few scenes of this story. Yesterday's scene was a great turning point but now character needs to step up more. I know how this story ends I just need to connect a few more dots.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Here is something completely completely out of the blue. JJ Litke, I found a pair of glasses that look just like yours on my local beach four weeks ago. Were you visiting Seattle?

How weird! I actually was in Seattle last summer, but don't go there often.

I've lost some weight! I am not sure how it happened, but I am no longer the plumply dumpling I was around Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Yay, or, is that good? Yay if that's what you wanted! :)

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
Tad Williams liked my tweet. :hooray:

Unfortunately it was the tweet where I said I hated him for killing my favorite character in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. :Shrug:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Tad Williams liked my tweet. :hooray:

Unfortunately it was the tweet where I said I hated him for killing my favorite character in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. :Shrug:

Yay! I keep meaning to re-read those. Since I won one of the giveaways and have all three with the newest set of covers all for my very own now.

ION, I frequently need a little bit of downtime in between projects. Which is also not so much downtime as it is noodling on some other project for a few days. Usually the complicated ones I keep getting stuck on. I write a scene or two then put them back on the shelf and go back to work on whatever I was supposed to be working on.

Except this time an older project lurched out of the shadows and bit down hard. So, now I'm working on a prologue-ish story for a thing that was steampunk but now is apparently bio-punk. I don't even know. (Well, I do. I watched my brain spit out the why and wherefore and thoroughly complicate what was originally a swift and short little story about a mechanic/assassin and a blood thirsty queen.)

I think I might need more coffee.

Aggy, effectively working nightshift because HouseGuest is so the office only available in the evenings

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to GD I have a new editing client. :D

Also got a great compliment from previous client.
"the rewrite on this one killed me, but I felt it was a huge growing experience this time."

Plus youngest placed in the MO State SkillsUSA (Vocational school competition) We find out tomorrow if it was 1st, 2nd or 3rd and if he gets to go to nationals! (crosses fingers for that scholarship money!)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
What's an 'older unfinished project'? I don't have those :(

Haha. I have a list of like 40-50 projects that I either started and then trunked because the first drafts were awful, or because something else came up that I needed to work on first. My brain also doesn't like to play too long in the same world so, even though I like series, I have ideas that can't be rolled into other projects because the world-building is so vastly different. And, since I've discovered that I'm not usually happy with short stories, I have some sketches of stuff that I'm going back to revisit now that I have a better idea of how to flesh it out past the initial couple of scenes.

The Southern Gothic novellas grew out of a quick and dirty thing I wrote in 2009 or so for an in-forum contest. I eventually went back to it, stripped out the bits that had been included to meet the terms of the competition and retooled the remaining plot for the trilogy. And then the first two chapters sat on my computer for another couple of years 'til I got the itch to go ahead and finish the first one.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
YAY Shadow! :D I someday hope to hire you for my own nefarious purposes* :evil

I finished RWBY Volume 1, and it was amazing! O-M-G, you guys, you guys! All weapons can be made better by making them double as a gun, even GUNS! I want a gun-gun now, or at least, I want a character of mine to have one! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! I need people to fangirl with!!!! Someone, quick, binge watch the entire series with me!!! :'D the animation is rocky at first and some of the voices are silly, but Rooster Teeth take advantage of all the flaws and turn them into wonderfulnesssssesseses :D

I will stop at that because I don't want to flood the board with enthusiasm atm.

ION: is it normal when betaing say 10 pages, to wrack up a hundred-ish comments? I mean when betaing a story that's not like, trash or anything (won't say any names, tho) because I've been doing roughly that many comments on average per page for my beta people, and I'm wondering if it's gonna be overwhelming... I want to be helpful, not overwhelming, but I just, I see things that need attention and I'm like "Look, thing! Do stuff!" I mean, if a story doesn't need work (i.e. betaing) then I make fewer comments, but with beta stories I can't seem to shut up! Halp?

*I mean edits, okay! :s

Shadowmoo

Prophet of the Eldritch ones.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I shall have whatever is sweet and mind bending. Put it on their tab ^

Trying to figure out what genre my novel is, or even if it fits (or needs to) fit into a genre. I am mostly writing for myself currently.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the entire series of Star Trek: Voyager yesterday. Itching to start watching it, but I'm currently halfway through a movie (Stripes), and want to finish that off first. And yeah - my approach to DVDs these days is to only watch them when I'm having a snack. So the idea is, I don't want to over-eat, which means I hopefully won't over-indulge in DVDs too. Seems to be working to some extent so far. But it means it's taking me about 4 days to get through a single movie.

But with Voyager, I found the entire series on sale. Like, it's 7 seasons long, but the box set would cost me about 5.5 seasons' worth (if I was buying individual seasons). On sale, it was actually only 5 seasons' cost. Hooray!

I didn't really want to spend the money, but I figure, hey, it'll take me about 6 months to watch them all, which is plenty of time to save back the original cost. And there was no guarantee of having the entire box set in the store (I've looked for it many times in the past, never been available). So yeah...

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Hello, I shall have whatever is sweet and mind bending. Put it on their tab ^

Trying to figure out what genre my novel is, or even if it fits (or needs to) fit into a genre. I am mostly writing for myself currently.

*slides a daiquiri over to Shadowmoo*

*slips the bill to Dammy*

*starts cleaning glasses with a smibble while whistling innocently*

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
See, that's exactly how they suck you in. They're all super fluffy and cute, then they ask if they can read you a little of their latest story, which is like Ayn Rand and James Joyce had a baby, and a few minutes later it's too late, your brain is turning to tapioca, and the alpaca drinks your liquified gray matter with a straw through your ear.

But they are pretty cute and fluffy.

*plot bunny twitches*

:rant:

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind lots of comments if I've asked for them. (These days I don't so much, but that's a different issue.) However, if I get something back with lots of comments I expect them to add value. There's someone in SYW whose style of critique is to ask questions about every sentence or three. Which quickly indicates they are not reading in context. That's annoying. Of course, if I dislike the way someone handles a beta, I just don't ask them to look at anything else. (And, when I was first buckling down to the writing thing I did have a beta that would comment heavily where necessary and that was helpful. She was also pretty good at distinguishing style from mistakes and then pointing out where it did or didn't work.)

I wrote 2k words yesterday evening. I'm still not certain what my brain is doing with this story but I like what I've written so I hanging on for the ride. (Although it would be nice to get some words in on the things with deadlines.)

One more day of working in the evening. Then likely no writing on Friday because HouseGuest will be sleeping during the day and home in the evening. Hoping I get some stuff done over the weekend.

Aggy, really needing some good news

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
whose style of critique is to ask questions about every sentence or three. Which quickly indicates they are not reading in context.

I see this a lot in SYW--more like commentary than critiquing. But sometimes it is interesting to know the thoughts of a skimmer on your work--certainly not the most productive feedback, but I appreciate the diversity. Maybe once I'm more experienced, that appreciation will narrow, but for now I'm trying to stay as open minded as possible.:Sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.