Status
Not open for further replies.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yay for new cover art! I look forward to seeing it.

*goes back to writing* Because I've totally been writing this whole time. Not getting distracted by the internet. Nope, I'm not distracted at all.
:gone:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I may have figured out how to fix the long-shelved dark fantasy novella about dragons and an evil king. It means going back and yanking some stuff from the the lighter, friendlier first draft and reworking it into the the darker second draft. And then finishing the damn thing. But I think I'm a lot closer to putting it all together than I have been for... a while.

Of course, now I have to find the first draft. I know it's on a thumbdrive somewhere.

I also wrote half of a crappy scene on the novel earlier. Not so much crap as it is rough. But I need to bridge what comes before and the scene coming next so I just need to get the bones down at this point and fix it in post. :p

Aggy, have I mentioned it's Friday?

Elise-K-Ra'sha

Driving myself crazy with writing
Registered
Reaction score
How does anyone get any writing done when they're hanging out on online critique groups all day? ^_^

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever call anyone Wifey... If I get married, the pet name I'd use would be, "Oh Glorious Splendiferous She-Beast of the Netherworlds!"

Erm. I think I know why I'm not married... :tongue

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I think if I got married, I would just use her name. Pet names and such weird me out. Luckily, my current girlfriend isn't into them, either.

The latest development in the sketchy girlfriend saga is apparently I'm the only one who thought she wasn't cheating on me with her ex. That's more a demonstration on how shitty her friends are than on her character, though.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I refer to my better half as 'my better half' because that's exactly what he is.

It's raining and I want to go down town this afternoon. The law of sod strikes again.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid rainy weather! I woke up about 1:30AM with my hands aching. medicine is finally kicking in. But I've lost a night's sleep. I can't seem to catch a break on my aches and pains; my back is being very good, no pain at all. Digestion and hands are making up the difference, though, darn the luck.

And by the way, yes, I'd love a little cheese to go with my whine.

Could be worse, though. I used to have migraines when I was younger. Trust me, I prefer digestive malfunction and arthritic joints.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, yes. My dad, God bless his soul, was quite the food adventurer. On one of our outings when I was a girl (the ones I described a few weeks back), we went up into Huntington West Virginia (I seldom ventured there until I was a teenager). Daddy had heard that there was a cheese shop being opened by one of his old students, and he wanted to check it out.

His student was delighted to have his favorite teacher in his shop, and let us have tastes of, geez, twenty different cheeses from around the world. It was an adventure, but I found I like the smellier cheeses, if they were firm textured and strong-flavored. Runny French cheeses, I'm less enamored of; the texture puts me off. That student of his was the one who turned me on to the combination of cheese and apples. Nowadays, I can't hardly look at an apple but I start craving some roquefort or really sharp, aged Cheddar.

Oh, and there was this Mexican restaurant in Huntington, they made something they called "grilled chevre." It was queso fresco, pressed into little discs and grilled until they were starting to char just a bit. Then they were served with lime and really fresh pico de gallo.

Can you tell I'm a bit hungry? :Sun:

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
Finally back and caught up on two name changes and a whole new thread after several weeks of work completely eating my brain. At least now it's not taking up room in my skull I have extra storage space.

I think if I got married, I would just use her name. Pet names and such weird me out. Luckily, my current girlfriend isn't into them, either.

The latest development in the sketchy girlfriend saga is apparently I'm the only one who thought she wasn't cheating on me with her ex. That's more a demonstration on how shitty her friends are than on her character, though.

Hey Liosse, sorry to hear about your troubles. When you first mentioned it I was reminded a bit of the earlier days of myself and boyfriend. I had a lot of guy friends and he wasn't very keen on some of them because he thought they were trying to break us up. But none of them actually said anything to me about it, and he didn't try to stop me seeing people (if he had, I think I would have taken it badly). Anyway, things moved on and later I had the experience of seeing a lot of women (and men) flirting with my boyfriend, which I found quite annoying. However, neither of us said anything about either of these issues at the time, because we trusted each other and each of us felt that we didn't have the right to pick the other's friends.

So in general, I think it's quite possible for a relationship to successfully outgrow of this sort of thing. However, there were two things that you said that make me a bit cautious:
1) She appears to have used this sort of behaviour to upset you, in retaliation to something you're perceived to have done, at least on one occasion. This suggests that she knows it bothers you and is willing to use that against you. I don't think this is a good sign because the extent of this sort of behaviour could become a bargaining chip.
2) The series of events as I understand them looks to me like pushing boundaries. I think it's important that you know where the limits of what you consider okay are, so that you don't end up gradually in a situation which you're very unhappy with.

I hope things calm down, and you're able to concentrate more on the good things in your relationship. Is there any chance she could get a different job? If she's able to improve her work situation it might have the double advantage of improving her self esteem and taking her out of an environment where guys continually hit on her.

Stupid rainy weather! I woke up about 1:30AM with my hands aching. medicine is finally kicking in. But I've lost a night's sleep. I can't seem to catch a break on my aches and pains; my back is being very good, no pain at all. Digestion and hands are making up the difference, though, darn the luck.

And by the way, yes, I'd love a little cheese to go with my whine.

Could be worse, though. I used to have migraines when I was younger. Trust me, I prefer digestive malfunction and arthritic joints.

Nowadays, I can't hardly look at an apple but I start craving some roquefort or really sharp, aged Cheddar.

Glad to hear the migraines are gone - they are the worst. Sorry to hear you've been having trouble sleeping, though.

I look at an apple and I crave another apple. Mmm. Apple season is almost upon us here. So one again I am faced with the eternal question: which is the best apple? For me it's a three way tie between Egremont Russet, Cox's Orange Pippin and Adam's Pearmain (when I can get them). How about you?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, folks.

Nothing like waking up with minor anxiety. (And always on a day I could sleep in a little, too.)

I have imbibed a cup of tea - strong, with milk and sugar - and feel a little better prepared to face the day.

Housework first. Then tackling this novelette because it's about time I finished it. I might try and wrangle a batch of bread in the middle too.

Aggy, so glad it's the weekend

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I am sort of in the same boat as your sweetheart: I have mostly male friends. But Hubby knew this going in. And I made a point of saying, multiple times, "I am going to hang out with my friends, just like you enjoy hanging out with your friends. We are just hanging out, there's nothing fishy going on. Learn to adjust." He did adjust. It helped that he knew most of my friends, and the ones he didn't know, he got to know well enough to judge whether we were being aboveboard.

I look at an apple and I crave another apple. Mmm. Apple season is almost upon us here. So one again I am faced with the eternal question: which is the best apple? For me it's a three way tie between Egremont Russet, Cox's Orange Pippin and Adam's Pearmain (when I can get them). How about you?

I like tart, firm apples. Granny Smiths are my favorite. For eating with cheese, I like a softer variety; Rome is a good medium sized fruit with a good texture. Spare me any of the "delicious" breeds; they ain't delicious and I find the mealy texture very off putting.

We also have a local variant, called, coincidentally enough, "June Apples." They're a tiny apple, green, very firm, very tart. Truth be told, they are not fit to just eat. But they make the best apple pies you ever put in your mouth, and they are terrific for frying. My husband and kids picked me a shy peck of them a few weeks ago, and I sliced them up and stashed them in my freezer for cooking up later in the year.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite part of Saturday night is coming home and pouring 2 glasses of wine, watching my partner fall asleep with 4/5 of that glass of wine remaining, and then finishing said glass of wine because one cannot waste wine.

I cannot believe there was ever a time I didn't enjoy a drop of red. It boggles my tiny little mind.

Hola Cantina!

I see people grumbling about the rainy weather, and it makes me wonder how many rainy days in a row it would take before I would miss the sunshine. I love the rain. It's so more atmospheric than sunshine.

In other news, I love you all. That's where we're at.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We also have a local variant, called, coincidentally enough, "June Apples." They're a tiny apple, green, very firm, very tart. Truth be told, they are not fit to just eat. But they make the best apple pies you ever put in your mouth, and they are terrific for frying. My husband and kids picked me a shy peck of them a few weeks ago, and I sliced them up and stashed them in my freezer for cooking up later in the year.

Ooh, they sound delicious. I love apple pie but I often find the supermarket apples aren't firm enough to make a good filling. When apple season comes in, we run into the problem that I tend to cram the apples down my maw rather than take the time to make pies. But you've inspired me - I'll go to the apple stall at the market next week and see what they've got.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, are we talking apples? They're a weird little passion of mine. Growing up, apples were always Granny Smith from the supermarket. They were huge green globs with very little taste, and I cared very little for them.

About five years ago, I visited a local orchard and discovered what a freshly picked apple tastes like. It might as well be a totally different food. A Granny Smith from the store is like a wax-coated ball of hardened, mildly tart water. A fresh Granny Smith ... well, it's my 26th-favorite apple.

That's 26th out of ... ummm ... 146 varieties sampled. Yeah, I kind of got a little crazy about seeking out new apples.
icon_redface.gif

If you're totally bored this rainy Saturday, you can view my current apple rankings here. Bear in mind that, like jallenecs, I prefer tart apples, so sweet apples are devalued on my list. Whatever kind you like, though, let me just say that if you can get your hands on a Burgundy, gobble that sucker up: it's one of the tastiest foods on this earth.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, they sound delicious. I love apple pie but I often find the supermarket apples aren't firm enough to make a good filling. When apple season comes in, we run into the problem that I tend to cram the apples down my maw rather than take the time to make pies. But you've inspired me - I'll go to the apple stall at the market next week and see what they've got.

that's why I very seldom eat apple pie that I didn't make myself. What passes for apple pie for most people is a bland, overly sweet mush. When I make my pies, I go exclusively with June apples (if I can get them) and Granny Smiths. With the June apples, if they're tending to be too sweet, I'll use a percentage of underripe fruits, just to get that touch of tart into the mix, and a good texture.

I don't know what the real name of June apples are, so I can't recommend them to you. But Granny Smith is definitely a goodly alternative. Plenty of tart, good texture that holds up well to cooking.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Hey Liosse, sorry to hear about your troubles. When you first mentioned it I was reminded a bit of the earlier days of myself and boyfriend. I had a lot of guy friends and he wasn't very keen on some of them because he thought they were trying to break us up. But none of them actually said anything to me about it, and he didn't try to stop me seeing people (if he had, I think I would have taken it badly). Anyway, things moved on and later I had the experience of seeing a lot of women (and men) flirting with my boyfriend, which I found quite annoying. However, neither of us said anything about either of these issues at the time, because we trusted each other and each of us felt that we didn't have the right to pick the other's friends.

So in general, I think it's quite possible for a relationship to successfully outgrow of this sort of thing. However, there were two things that you said that make me a bit cautious:
1) She appears to have used this sort of behaviour to upset you, in retaliation to something you're perceived to have done, at least on one occasion. This suggests that she knows it bothers you and is willing to use that against you. I don't think this is a good sign because the extent of this sort of behaviour could become a bargaining chip.
2) The series of events as I understand them looks to me like pushing boundaries. I think it's important that you know where the limits of what you consider okay are, so that you don't end up gradually in a situation which you're very unhappy with.

I hope things calm down, and you're able to concentrate more on the good things in your relationship. Is there any chance she could get a different job? If she's able to improve her work situation it might have the double advantage of improving her self esteem and taking her out of an environment where guys continually hit on her.

I am sort of in the same boat as your sweetheart: I have mostly male friends. But Hubby knew this going in. And I made a point of saying, multiple times, "I am going to hang out with my friends, just like you enjoy hanging out with your friends. We are just hanging out, there's nothing fishy going on. Learn to adjust." He did adjust. It helped that he knew most of my friends, and the ones he didn't know, he got to know well enough to judge whether we were being aboveboard.

I'm fine with male friends, even mostly male friends if that's just how someone is. There's nothing inherently wrong with mostly having friends of the opposite sex or gender. At one point, I would say I had mostly female friends.

What I object to is their behavior as regards her as a romantic interest rather than just a friend and also our relationship which they are all fully aware of by now, and her refusal to shut them down appropriately. Even a friend with a crush would be tolerable. But constantly hitting on her despite knowledge of her relationship and also with her having said no, generally the first time they met, to me shows disrespect for her and her wishes, for me, and our relationship. Her refusing to shut them down shows me basically the same on her part. I'm even okay with her having friends who don't like me, as long as they aren't obnoxious about it. But "friends" regularly suggesting she dump me for them, and her not telling them that's unacceptable is definitely an issue I feel is a reasonable one for me to have. These guys actually have said stuff that can only be intended to break us up, either as part of hitting on her or immediately following. Stuff she's told me about. So I'm comfortable with believing I'm not just being paranoid or jealous over nothing.

I'm not concerned about her being aboveboard. I have no fear she will actually take any of them up on it. But I would never hang out with any girl (or boy) who was saying the stuff to me that these people say to her while we are currently in a relationship, and I want the same courtesy from her. I have stopped hanging out with certain people who I felt were disrespecting her, people I have known since before we started dating. It's not a matter of whether I think she's a good person or not or whether her behavior is objectively acceptable (though I don't think it is.). It's just a base personal requirement for me to be in a relationship with someone, and if she can't meet it, then there are probably better relationships out there for both of us than our current one. I don't think telling these "friends" that continued friendship is contingent on them respecting her decisions and her boyfriend is a huge change for her to make. I'm not asking that she stop hanging out with them(, although I do wish she would because they are assholes only being friends with her to get in her pants and she deserves better).

Also, fresh-picked Granny Smith's are perhaps my favorite apple, and Granny Smith is one of the few apples I can eat without feeling sick. I also enjoy the tart taste, although a particularly crisp sweet red apple can be good on occasion, too. I can't see I really care for apple pie, although perhaps Junely's version would be a different story, since the sweet mush thing basically describes what I dislike about apple pie. XD

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ugh. morning, Cantina. I woke up from a strange dream about a horror-dark fantasy graphic novel that apparently my brain wants me to write. The waking world greeted me with a minor bill-paying adventure. I have fiber art and housecleaning to do, writing is waaaaay down my list.

Apples. Yum. I have some decently tart Honeycrisps right now. A friend of mine had to go to Canada recently to discover the little sour bundles of flavor that are crab-apples, and what miracles can be done with them. I remember them from growing up in NW New Mexico, where we had lots of orchards in the riverbottom. Now I want to make an apple-almond galette. Dammit. Who has crab-apples in Phoenix? Might settle for a sixpack of Angry Orchard.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina.

I feeling a little blah this morning. I have no idea why, but I had trouble falling asleep last night. I dosed a bit at first, but then I woke up at one point and just felt like I wasn't sleepy at all. I had to just sit there being wide awake for a little over an hour before I finally fell asleep around 2 a.m. Slept pretty soundly after that except for one point when it started storming really hard and the thunder freaked the beagle out so that he had to jump up on the bed (Oh, who am I kidding? He was already on the bed and sleeps there every night.) and squish himself against me because, obviously, I can somehow protect him from the scary noise.

Re apples: I don't have a favorite apple, but I like them in general. I prefer the crunchier ones to the softer ones, though whether or not I prefer sweeter ones or tart ones depends on what I'm using them for. I'm with Junely in that I like apple pies to have a balance of tart and sweet. If any baked apple product is too sweet and squishy it tends to give me a headache.

I see people grumbling about the rainy weather, and it makes me wonder how many rainy days in a row it would take before I would miss the sunshine. I love the rain. It's so more atmospheric than sunshine.
So long as I don't feel bummed for some reason and I'm not physically ill, I love the rain too. Especially in the autumn, because it really is more atmospheric.

Going off to write now.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda meh about rain, for the most part. A warm summer rain can be very fun, particularly with the sort of adult activities that can be enjoyed outside in the summer, heh heh heh.... A cold rain (like today) is not fun for any sort of activities, adult or not; makes my joints throb like a toothache.

Getting old sucks. I do NOT recommend it.

With that said, I adore storms, the more ferocious the better. Down here in the narrow valleys of Appalachia, tornadoes are very seldom an issue; they do appear from time to time, but tend to skip along the tops of the hills rather than coming down to us. Flooding, that's a whole 'nother conversation; narrow valleys plus lots of water equal mucho troubles. Course, that doesn't stop my countrified husband and children from going wading in the high water when flooding comes, don't know why they find it fun, they're just crazy.

But with that said, I love storms, the wind, the lightning, the thunder, ominous black clouds rolling in over the mountain, sheets of rain, all of it. When my sisters and I were young, we would make beds on the front porch in summer, so we could sleep outside (where it was cooler) and watch the storms roll in when they came.

I guess I'm crazy too. I don't have a roofed porch anymore, so camping out ain't gonna happen. But I still love watching the sky and seeing those clouds roll in.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Hello, Cantina! I've been dizzy and out of focus all day. Haven't figured out why, either a lack of cuddles, lack of chocolate, or the weather.

Having back-read: I don't have anyone to call anything, but would probably just end up referring to them as The Lunatic, because self-esteem is a village in rural Russia.
Rainy weather is not good for my head. Sometimes not good for tummy either.

Has been watching Elementary. Sherlock is better.

I always knew religion was evil.

But that's just COLD, man.
You should know better than to trust religion. *cue the Spanish Inquisition*

See, you use lockpicking to get into people's homes in the middle of the night, and you use lockpicking to break into their locked stuff and steal their goodies. Then you fence those goodies for a few gold coins. Then, with the proceeds of several nights of kleptomania, you finally have enough to buy the Deathsword of Deathing +1 (it's a buy-one-get-one-free sale!) and slay the wicked Demon Queen of Doom, freeing the land from her wrath and tyranny.

So see, lockpicking is perfectly moral! :greenie
Here I thought you'd be the first to minionize yourself to the Demon Queen of Doom, Deathsword of Deathing +1 notwithstanding.
Unless the lilyWife said differently.

Morning Cantina.

*has smibble-bots brew Friday coffee, bake pastries*

I've always wanted single-hand spears to be a thing in video games, but they never are. *sighs, dreams of Spear of Skewering*

ION: Mrs. Hoplite (I really need to come up with something better than Mrs. Hoplite when talking about the misses) and I are heading out to a free screening of Inside Out tonight.
Spear skewering got me thinking of ancient cavalry commander Xenophon recommending you train a war horse by getting a friend and some practice javelins and pretending to kill each other. Sounds like a fun game to me.

Inside Out is good. Sadness is utterly sympathetic.

Anyway, if you know where and how to look, the Deeper Darker Web That I Have Yet to Come Up With A Name For (suggestions welcome) has some deeply scary and horrible things on it. This is where Dante hangs out when he is online. He might come across a webpage where they're livestreaming as they're torturing a girl, then magically body morphing her into something nightmarish (think the Human Centipede movie; no don't Google it, you'll have nightmares like I did), then selling the new creation as a pet to the highest bidder.

Anyway, Dante would put a stop to that stuff, right now; it's a bridge too far. He'd do it with a little magic, some computer hackery, and the whole thing would be very icky. Like the next time Bad Mage Who Won the Bid opens his web browser, it activates a magical computer virus that attacks him, turns every hair on his body into a burrowing worm and they eat him alive while he sits at his desk.

Okay, I actually can't believe my brain came up with that. I must be a really horrible person.
First thought about that name: Nightmare. Either that or something even more melodramatic like Abyss, maybe the Corner. *goes sit corner*

Don't worry, that's a normal thing for writers. You're still the Granny June we all know and love.

Now, the more I think about it, the more the computer stuff is getting more attention. He's turning into a technomage. Is that a bad thing? Can I jump back and forth, or should I have the Object Hunter and the Technomage be two different characters?

Is there even such a thing as a technomage outside of White Wolf Games or Babylon 5? Any reading suggestions?
I like him being both. Sounds cool.

Thankfully, I was able to avoid the time-sucking nature of TVtropes yesterday, but I have experienced it at other times when I've been doing story research. It's sometimes literally taken me HOURS to pry myself away from it.
Mwuahahaha!

No, no, no. That's not how you do an evil laugh. THIS is how you do an evil laugh! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdHTGeSgmo (That just makes me :ROFL: every time. :tongue)
Thank you, my butt just fell through the floor thanks to that.

I found a list of ye-olde endearments not to long ago (I was researching things one of my side characters might call his wife). Maybe it could give you some options?

*pulls up list*

Hmm... You could call her "My Beloved". Or "My Fairest Flower of any Field". Or "She Who Beareth the Bell" (which means "she who wins the prize"). Or "My Dear Heart". Or "She Who is Brighter than the Day's Light". Or "My Comely Creature". Or "My Fair Love". Or maybe even "My Sweet Honeycomb".

Take your pick :D
That's usually how my Dad talks to me just before asking if I'm hungry. As in: Oh my dearest, apple of my eye and light of my life, do you want to stuff your face?

:Wha: I know I come from a family that does pet names a bit more than most (I probably have a dozen), but that's an attitude that just strikes me as weird. I feel more comfortable around people who give me pet names! The Danish saying "dear child has many names" is something we take very much to heart.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's 26th out of ... ummm ... 146 varieties sampled. Yeah, I kind of got a little crazy about seeking out new apples.
icon_redface.gif

If you're totally bored this rainy Saturday, you can view my current apple rankings here. Bear in mind that, like jallenecs, I prefer tart apples, so sweet apples are devalued on my list. Whatever kind you like, though, let me just say that if you can get your hands on a Burgundy, gobble that sucker up: it's one of the tastiest foods on this earth.

Wow, that is a long list! I probably like them slightly sweeter than you, but I would totally agree with your ranking of Red Delicious. I'm not sure if there's much Burgundy grown in the UK, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'm fine with male friends, even mostly male friends if that's just how someone is. There's nothing inherently wrong with mostly having friends of the opposite sex or gender. At one point, I would say I had mostly female friends.

What I object to is their behavior as regards her as a romantic interest rather than just a friend and also our relationship which they are all fully aware of by now, and her refusal to shut them down appropriately.

I understand and I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to stop her seeing her friends. I was trying to say (badly) that I think the approach you've taken is good, because you've focused on specific aspects of their behaviour which I agree cross a line. Your posts here have been thoughtful and reasonable and I'm sure you'll find the right path for your relationship. It just reminded me a bit of the start of my current relationship, and I couldn't resist reminiscing. I think I caught 'back in my day' disease at the age of 27 and never fully recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.