The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Cantina!

Back to the old grind today. I had such a fabulous holiday weekend, but all good things must come to end. At least this week will only be 4 days.

We have a big demo this afternoon for a potential client. I have a feel things are going to get a little hectic the closer it gets. Yours truly will probably get stuck cleaning the conference room.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
*stumbles in while running around screaming* What's happened?! What's happened?! What happened to the Cantina?! *trips over smibble*

I feel like Sadness from Inside Out. *lifts foot* I'm ready.

It's okay, Religion, it's all good. Around 20,000 posts, all threads get too big for their britches, so the Cantina sheds its skin and scurries on to a new location free of the burden of all those posts.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
It's like a butterfly.

A supernaturally-pretty butterfly-lady who burrows into the core of a planet, slowly absorbing the essence of all life and evolving, then when it's time she erupts from the planet, leaving it a shattered lifeless husk in space while she becomes more powerful and more enchanting with each new form.

...did I mention that the Cantina most definitely does not consume souls? We'd like to remind everyone of that.

..."we" being the long-time Cantina peeps. *eyes glow pink*

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. today will be a struggle. Not only did the insomnia bug bite hard but B had the fidgets while he slept. Not productive to dreamtime. Oh well. maybe I'll sleep well tonight then.

Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. Hope it does. We've been a bit dry for the past month. Would like to have a good washdown before the trees start losing leaves. Usually makes everything nice a brightly colored for a few weeks.

I think it's time to start thinking about reducing the dayjob hours. (can't quite let it go completely yet.) I need more freelance time. I'm stretched thin but I want more work. Can't do that unless I have more time. :( will see what the other half says.

And it's now pouring down rain in sheets. Going to be difficult to stay awake.

Last edited:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello All!

*takes a deep breath* Love that new Cantina smell. Can't even remember how many of these I've been through now.

Finally got the words I need to start this massive rewrite for my WIP. I don't write a lot in first person and I just couldn't find the right words to start the story. Showers are great for thinking. :)

ION, my washing machine is thumping at me because I put too much in it. I guess it doesn't like working for a living or something. :rolleyes

So how are y'all?

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Cantina.

Fairly uneventful weekend. Getting to relax at home rather than work is always welcome, though. Park patrol went well on Saturday, though I swear the wildlife knows when I bring the camera w/ zoom lens with me.

ION: I did nothing as per writing :chair

*hides in wing-backed chair by the fire*

Guys, I just sub'd a poem to Strange Horizons! I don't know what foolishness made that into a good idea, but I did it.

Nice chair.

And good luck!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tumblr_noj3lf1eTx1tlb56zo1_400_zps4bwdngxl.gif

That's all I got.

Morning, gang.

Whut up?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I just finished the Firefly binge. Now my brain is going, "You know how much you'd enjoy a Babylon 5 marathon. Come on, Marcus Cole, G'Kar, Garibaldi.... You know you want it."

My brain hates me. Or loves me. I can't tell which at the moment.

Mmmmm....> Marcus Cole is my crush :) I got to meet Jason Carter at Dragoncon one year, along with Mira Furlan and Peter Jurasik. I got a hug from Jason Carter, and I was in 7th heaven!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Good luck, 4burner. :)

I have returned from the dungeon! I mean, the seven-day clean-up of the basement is finally over! I've excavated to all four corners and now you can actually use the space as it was intended. All that's left to do if fix some of the drawers and sort the loose screws and nails. Am pretty pleased with myself. :Trophy: This was a pretty big undertaking. Some of the stuff we tossed had been down there since before I learned to walk. And well, as silver lining, when you've just spent days to clean up your basement, there's a lot less stuff on the floor to get water-logged if the torrential rains cause water to seep in your just-ordered basement. *sigh*

Now I could do with some sunshine and dry weather, guys.

We will take your rain lol. And I am right there needing to clean the basement. It's a mess down there.

Morning all. today will be a struggle. Not only did the insomnia bug bite hard but B had the fidgets while he slept. Not productive to dreamtime. Oh well. maybe I'll sleep well tonight then.

Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. Hope it does. We've been a bit dry for the past month. Would like to have a good washdown before the trees start losing leaves. Usually makes everything nice a brightly colored for a few weeks.

I think it's time to start thinking about reducing the dayjob hours. (can't quite let it go completely yet.) I need more freelance time. I'm stretched thin but I want more work. Can't do that unless I have more time. :( will see what the other half says.

And it's now pouring down rain in sheets. Going to be difficult to stay awake.

We should be getting rain soon.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Annnnddd I'm back from Dragoncon! What a trip!

Elizabeth had a fantastic time. She was the life of the party. Who knew she did 90s rave so well?

I'm pretty much exhausted now. We drove back from Atlanta, leaving around 5:30pm - took about 11 hours. Stumbled into the house and slept for 5 hours before getting up to stumble into work. Sigh!

Pics later. I've got some posts on my blog, if anyone is interested.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Annnnddd I'm back from Dragoncon! What a trip!

Elizabeth had a fantastic time. She was the life of the party. Who knew she did 90s rave so well?

I'm pretty much exhausted now. We drove back from Atlanta, leaving around 5:30pm - took about 11 hours. Stumbled into the house and slept for 5 hours before getting up to stumble into work. Sigh!

Pics later. I've got some posts on my blog, if anyone is interested.

*sighs with envy* I grew up in Atlanta and never got to go to Dragoncon. I really really want to go!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
GO! It's a huge blast. I have almost voice now, after yelling and screaming as part of the dancing on Saturday night, as well as countless reiterations of Diabolical Laughter and "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition" on Sunday night...

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Kind of curious what a fantasy-themed dance party would be like.

Speaking of dance party, when I was at the botanical gardens on Friday, some guy randomly showed up dressed as a pirate.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There were several parties, some themed by the fan tracks -
Mechanical Masquerade (steampunk)
Heroes and Villains Ball
Shindig (Firefly)
An Evening in Bree (Tolkein)
The ABC Party (Anything but Clothing - all costumes must be non-fabric)
Dilithium Crystal Ball (Trek)
Last Party on Alderaan (Star Wars)
Yule Ball (HP)
Party with the Spartans
Middle Earth Goes '90s Dancy Party (One of the ones we went to)
Dr. Who Nu Who Annual Ball

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of dance party, when I was at the botanical gardens on Friday, some guy randomly showed up dressed as a pirate.

+1 for Random Pirates!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Do what I did once: take your fanfic idea and make it into an original idea!
I've sort of, kind of, done that with my first WIP. Sort of. Kind of.

The concept for it basically started as what you might call a fanfic idea (really just me imagining how the movie version of the Hobbit might work back before the second movie came out and my imagination went wild). I knew I would never write those imaginings down as they were because they were basically just The Hobbit with an extra character tagging along and I've never wanted to even come close to doing the Mary Sue thing, plus I wanted to write my own original stories anyway. So, I took that extra character from my imaginings and stuck her into her own story that is now my WIP. My WIP looks nothing like The Hobbit, but there are things in there that were originally inspired by my imaginings about the movies, plus several of Tolkien's other stories, as well as having ideas inspired by a bunch of other books I grew up with, except I've used all of those things in a way that I don't think anyone would ever know exactly where I got the ideas unless I was specifically asked about it.

Yeah. That's not confusing at all, is it? :p
Although I do think that if anyone ever writes fanfic based on something *I've* written, I'll consider myself to have finally "made it" in this industry. :D
Me too. I would also accept fan art as an indication of having "made it."

*hides in wing-backed chair by the fire*

Guys, I just sub'd a poem to Strange Horizons! I don't know what foolishness made that into a good idea, but I did it.
Good luck!

I vote you go for it. Writing fanfic is actually an exercise that stretches some muscles writing regular fic never did, at least for me, so even if you don't end up subbing to the contest, I think it's worth the time investment if it's something you have an interest in trying out. (Plus book fandoms often have way fewer fic, so the people in that fandom would probably love yet another piece to read!)
Oh, most definitely. The fans (including me) LOVE the fanfic contest, and it's always the more the merrier. They really are fun and some of the people are actually very good writers.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My first 'real' writing assignment (that I recall) was a horrible fanfic. I was in fourth grade, and I wrote fanfic based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. It was called Dragonlust. The sheer memory of the suckiness burns!

Elise-K-Ra'sha

Driving myself crazy with writing
Registered
Reaction score
I lost my blue pen I was using to write Ravensrealm. :cry:/lower lip quiver/ Tis the end of the world!!!

:gaah
No, not really.

Good evening, Cantina! How fares the writing amongst you fine folks?

Elise-K-Ra'sha

Driving myself crazy with writing
Registered
Reaction score
My first 'real' writing assignment (that I recall) was a horrible fanfic. I was in fourth grade, and I wrote fanfic based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. It was called Dragonlust. The sheer memory of the suckiness burns!

Mine was with the Ninja Turtles. There were like five or six kids in my sixth grade class not in band so my teacher didn't conduct any lessons while they weren't there. Lucky us, that was still elementary school for me.
Weird Al, Raphael, and peanut butter . . . I wish I still had them.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
We will take your rain lol.
Please, take it. Take it all. We have several roofs that needs checking and fixing and we can't do that without at least a few days of warmth and sun. But the rain and clouds keep threatening it's not fun anymore.

And I am right there needing to clean the basement. It's a mess down there.
Mess is putting it mildly. It's mindblowing what stuff, useless and useful, one accumulates. My dad is not a hoarder but darn, it sometimes rather looks that way. And he's not solely to blame, some of the stuff's is inherited two generations back.

I started making a list of things I should tackle next and it's depressingly long. Not helped by the fact that certain family members suddenly insist on adding more stuff for no other reason than they want it nao. (What about what I want?) Family, sometimes I swear... I should be happy I have such a small one.

GO! It's a huge blast. I have almost voice now, after yelling and screaming as part of the dancing on Saturday night, as well as countless reiterations of Diabolical Laughter and "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition" on Sunday night...
Sounds like you really had a good time. :) When talking to my dad yesterday there presented itself the perfect opportunity to throw in 'The comfy chair!' comment with Spanish Inquisition tone and all so I took it. My dad just looked at me funny. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.