The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In five weeks I am going to Florida and it is likely I will be seeing many alligators who may or may not be killed by tubas. What about manatees? Or armadillos?

Seriously, I am also going to spend a day at Disneyworld's water park. Any advice?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm doing cross stitch because I'm a rebel.

:hi:
Yay, we're a knitting parlor!
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by E.F.B.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by amergina

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Movie tip: if you intend to watch Chocolat, make sure you actually have chocolate to go with it.

Fortunately we had chocolate chips, so I mixed those into some peanut butter. But quality chocolate would have been better.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
So what does a freelancer do when their ISP is down for 6 freaking hours?
Type out the transcription for today, get caught up with what she missed yesterday and then type a bit more so she's ahead tomorrow.
Then spend the next 5 hours on final proofing for a novel. (I had already gone through it 2 times)

Now it's after 1 and I'm finally tired enough to go to bed. I'll get caught up tomorrow. *thud

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Oh dear... Now I'm imagining a mystery story where they find an alligator (the town macot, no less) lying dead in the street having been viciously murdered with a tuba and the MC has to figure out who did it.

:rant:

Somehow this has evolved into a deranged Snow White retelling. And Snow White is a goat.

And there are dwarves playing trombones and tubas.

And Frank gets stuck in the tuba.

Aaaaaaaaaaand Artie may end up with a pet goat.

:rant:

ETA: for the record, I may be cursing Richard right now.
I appreciate my stir fried brain children being turned into bunnies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com

Yay! Hi amergina! Nice spiff new title, too! :)

*tackles both Amergina and Zanz and gives them wet border collie hugs*

It rained all day here today. My dog is a wet mess of happiness and confused whining at the rain.

Hi Zanz! I'm still around.

Somewhere.

:dire:

*lays out the cross stitching supplies*

Movie tip: if you intend to watch Chocolat, make sure you actually have chocolate to go with it.

Fortunately we had chocolate chips, so I mixed those into some peanut butter. But quality chocolate would have been better.

*lays out the chocolate*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! 10c per word is great! (If only I could get that much for internet posts... I'd be rich! :tongue)

On my end, I didn't go online at all yesterday. Wound up watching 10 episodes of Star Trek: Voyager. Yes, 10 episodes in 1 day. It was epic. However, that meant that this morning I finally reached the point where Seven of Nine comes into the show! (Seriously had such a crush on her in high school. And now I remember exactly why. :))

I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying Voyager. I think it's about on a par with Stargate SG-1, in my opinion. Two very different sci-fi shows, for sure, but of similar quality. And I gotta say... The perennial question of "Star Trek or Star Wars?" that comes up a fair bit has now been answered. (Sorry Obi-Wan Kenobi - you're *not* my only hope!) Definitely planning on buying the box set for The Next Generation or Deep Space 9 once I'm done with Voyager. Which would people recommend? I've never seen many Star Trek episodes outside of a few years watching Voyager in high school, a few scattered episodes of various shows here and there, and now the first 3 seasons of Voyager.

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
On my end, I didn't go online at all yesterday. Wound up watching 10 episodes of Star Trek: Voyager. Yes, 10 episodes in 1 day. It was epic. However, that meant that this morning I finally reached the point where Seven of Nine comes into the show! (Seriously had such a crush on her in high school. And now I remember exactly why. :))

I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying Voyager. I think it's about on a par with Stargate SG-1, in my opinion. Two very different sci-fi shows, for sure, but of similar quality. And I gotta say... The perennial question of "Star Trek or Star Wars?" that comes up a fair bit has now been answered. (Sorry Obi-Wan Kenobi - you're *not* my only hope!) Definitely planning on buying the box set for The Next Generation or Deep Space 9 once I'm done with Voyager. Which would people recommend? I've never seen many Star Trek episodes outside of a few years watching Voyager in high school, a few scattered episodes of various shows here and there, and now the first 3 seasons of Voyager.

I preferred DS9 to TNG. I thought it had some great story lines, and felt more complex than TNG. And it had Jadzia Dax and Quark. Really, lots of great characters.

I had a crush on Seven of Nine too.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Oh dear... Now I'm imagining a mystery story where they find an alligator (the town macot, no less) lying dead in the street having been viciously murdered with a tuba and the MC has to figure out who did it.

:banana::banana:

I am happy to have been part of this bizarre and delightful plot bunny genesis :)

Morning. I had a piece (non-fic) that had been accepted on proposal ages ago, but then there was just radio silence, so I figured they weren't interested.

Anyway, I was going to send it out other places, but I was all "maybe I'll just check in with them again" (keep in mind that over a year had passed at this stage).

Turns out emails do get lost. 10 cents a word guys. For something that I could write in my sleep. I'm so happy.

*dances around*

Congratulations!!!

Those two things only go together in fantasy.

Indeed and they go well :p

Richard has clearly been feeding my plot bunnies behind my back. Because when I read the whole alligator and tuba thing up thread, there was a suspicious wriggling of noses and tails.

I think there's a croc involved in this as well. Of the shoe variety. Because shoes. Oooh! And Frank the imp and Artie the troll might be involved....

blast.

Also? I hate you all so much for this plot bunny right now.

Especially Richard.

*plans to name the alligator or the tuba after evil Richard*

"It was Mr. White, in the swamp, with the tuba."

That. Is. Hilarious. And. I. LOVE. it!

In five weeks I am going to Florida and it is likely I will be seeing many alligators who may or may not be killed by tubas. What about manatees? Or armadillos?

Seriously, I am also going to spend a day at Disneyworld's water park. Any advice?

Sunscreen. Lots of water. You will sweat, but because you're at a waterpark, you won't notice. Go early, when it's still less crowded. Anything else you are doing? I lived 25 years in Florida, and know it well. I went to Orlando parks about every year of my childhood and young adulthood.

Congrats! 10c per word is great! (If only I could get that much for internet posts... I'd be rich! :tongue)

TNG is my favorite, especially after the first (albiet wooden) season. Seven of Nine is fantastic, I agree! Deep Space Nine is very similar to Babylon 5. And Voyager is similar in premise (but NOT in mood/feel) to SGU.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Voyager and SG:U's shared premise (being stranded a long way from home) was handled sooooo differently! I really didn't like SG:U, to be honest. I thought it was a really disappointing end to the franchise, after the awesomeness of SG-1.

Hmm... So, one vote for TNG, and one vote for DS9. I've never watched Babylon 5 beyond a few episodes at a friend's place, so that comparison won't help me unfortunately.

*waits for more votes* I'll admit, I was leaning more towards DS9, because the premise interests me. A space station in deep space? Sounds like there'd be plenty of random races popping up, like in Voyager. Honestly, all I really know about TNG is that it's a more "normal" Star Trek, with being based around Earth and that general area, and the whole Klingon / Cardassian / Romulun / Vulcan sort of warfare storylines. I think? I don't even know that for sure - that's just the general impression I've absorbed over the years.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
TNG has both Q and the Borg. And Data. (Although I did just read a long thread on Twitter talking about what a creeper Roddenberry was and how that influenced the female characters on both the original StarTrek and TNG.)

ION, finished up more words on the Monster Society novella. Waiting on co-author to write some more and then send it back again. Also have the Southern Gothic to work on and finishing up a beta-read now that I'm not completely foggy brained.

Still have this obnoxious and lingering cough. Blech. Trying to drink enough liquids to either thin this crap out or increase the volume enough I can actually cough it up instead of it just hanging out in my windpipe.

Aggy, waffles and eggs for breakfast

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yay, we're a knitting parlor!
WHERE'S THE YARN THERE MUST BE A YARN VAULT HERE SOMEWHERE SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE YARN IS!

When I went to Florida for my highschool graduation the only armadillos I saw were dead ones on the side of the road. Would have liked to see a live one, but apparently the little buggers have horrible timing when it comes to cars.

I'm doing cross stitch because I'm a rebel.

I'm crocheting because I've GOT to finish the baby afghan I've been working on for months. (It's been months because of my tennis elbow issues, but now that I'm better at dealing with that, it's going faster.)

I haven't gotten to see Deep Space 9 yet, so I have to vote TNG.

I really like Seven of Nine too. She's such an interesting character! Have you seen the episode yet where, for spoilery reasons, she kept switching between 5 or more different personalities? Talk about an acting challenge...

ION: I had hoped when I got up this morning that the itchy, sneezey, runny nose stuff had stopped, but after I'd been awake a couple hours, back it came. The lotion tissues have been brought out. I guess if I have to be sick, a cold is preferable to the flu and MUCH preferable to a stomach virus, both of which I hate with the heat of a thousand suns. I just hope it stays mild and goes away quickly.

Meanwhile, yesterday I took a bunch of new pictures of my Etsy stuff. I ended up getting a white poster board to use as a plain background and rephotographed a whole bunch of my jewelry. I would have done all of it, but my eyeballs started hurting from staring at the things close up, so I only did about half. I'm really happy with the results, so I'll have to get the rest done soon. Hopefully this will give my shop a more put-together look. I'd really like to not have to rephotograph everything AGAIN.

Words will happen until I get around to putting up the new pair of earrings which I also photographed yesterday.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, Voyager and SG:U's shared premise (being stranded a long way from home) was handled sooooo differently! I really didn't like SG:U, to be honest. I thought it was a really disappointing end to the franchise, after the awesomeness of SG-1.

Hmm... So, one vote for TNG, and one vote for DS9. I've never watched Babylon 5 beyond a few episodes at a friend's place, so that comparison won't help me unfortunately.

*waits for more votes* I'll admit, I was leaning more towards DS9, because the premise interests me. A space station in deep space? Sounds like there'd be plenty of random races popping up, like in Voyager. Honestly, all I really know about TNG is that it's a more "normal" Star Trek, with being based around Earth and that general area, and the whole Klingon / Cardassian / Romulun / Vulcan sort of warfare storylines. I think? I don't even know that for sure - that's just the general impression I've absorbed over the years.

If the space station in deep space intrigues you, DEFINITELY check out Bab 5 in order. It is, IMHO, one of the best crafted scifi shows EVER. Fantastic story arcs across all 5 seasons. Especially Lando Molari and G'kar!

TNG isn't as dark as DS9. It's lighter, has more interactions with interesting races. It's where the Ferengi are introduced (who play a major role in the DS9 series) and the Borg. TNG has Q, one of my fave all-time characters (played by John DeLancie, who is fantastic in person, met him at Dragoncon). On the other hand, DS9 has Quark, another of my favorite characters, and Odo, the shapeshifting security chief played by Rene Aberjenois, also a fantastic guy. Had breakfast with him one morning :)

Both are great series. Neither will disappoint.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
GINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!11!!!

'sup?

COBRA!!!

The sky. I think. :D

*tackles both Amergina and Zanz and gives them wet border collie hugs*

Ewwwww!!!!

I watched TNG with my parents back in the day. Gosh, is it old? It's old. I'm old.

I did watch DS9, but I was way more into Babylon 5 at the time.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
When I went to Florida for my highschool graduation the only armadillos I saw were dead ones on the side of the road. Would have liked to see a live one, but apparently the little buggers have horrible timing when it comes to cars.

That tends to be the only kind of armadillo you see. Live ones are a rarity, poor guys.

Hm, DS9 or TNG... DS9 definitely has an amazingly vibrant cast of characters, but TNG has Patrick Stewart.

Eh, go for both. XD

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of had a really big hole in my Star Treck series watching--kinda went to college and only had a black and white TV that really didn't pick up many stations. Then kids came and I didn't watch TV much then either.
So B and I have started watching TNG. I know I've seen most of the first couple of seasons but anything after season 3 is a blur. It will take us a while as we are watching 1 episode a night when he gets home from work to wind down before bed.

I've transplanted seedlings into larger containers this morning. Next up will be fixing the flipped chapters in my manuscript so I can continue writing. Also I'll revise the outline so that it reflects some of the changes I've made. Then once B is gone for the day the real work begins. Freelanceing ftw! lol

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, if you do go for Bab5 (and I highly urge you to!) please ignore the fact that the CGi is horrible back then (1994-1998)... it was great for the day, but it looks so clunky now! And, like TNG, the first season is a bit stiff.

And Bab5 has Commander Susan Ivanova. She is Death Incarnate. And Marcus Cole, who is adorable and yummy and badass. And Vir, the moon-faced assassin of joy. And so many other fantastic characters. You even get King Arthur at one point. In a Michael York sort of way...

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, Bab5 is great. When B found out that I've not seen it we had to find the series and the movies that went with it. He even looked up where everything is in the timeline. Wish they had a couple more seasons as there's still questions but *shrug*

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for B5. The graphics may not hold up, but when you meet Zathras, you simply stop caring. Plus, the world-build and dialogue of JMS is a thing of sheer beauty. Truly worth studying as a storyteller.

Voyager hold a special place in my Trek Heart. Janeway is my kind of captain, willing to stick to the Prime Directive, but also willing to drop a photo torpedo in your lap if you screw her. The episode where she faces the manifestation of Fear plus the one with Tuvix are, in my book, some of the best Trek ever written.

TNG is TNG. It's hard to argue the power of a Picard monologue.

DS9 was far darker, but man, the over-arching plotlines that run through excellent characters was revolutionary at the time and still holds up to this day.

Never saw Enterprise, though, but I was gone for its entire run.

My two Lincolns.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
"Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is Symmetry."

"But only Zathras have no one to talk to. No one manages poor Zathras, you see. So Zathras talks to dirt. Or to walls, or talks to ceilings. But dirt is closer. Dirt is used to everyone walking on it. Just like Zathras. But we have come to like it. It is our role. It is our destiny in the universe. So, you see, sometimes dirt has insects in it. And Zathras likes insects. Not so good for conversation, but much protein for diet."

My yellow striped cat was named Zathras. (RIP Zathras)...

I've been having a bit of a dichotomy watching Orange is the New Black. Kate Mulgrew plays a major character, a Russian murderer inmate. I keep hearing Janeway :p

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot one of my favorite Zathras quotes! "Zathras not of this time. You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought of Neelix as Zathrus and Vir's love child.

Status
Not open for further replies.