The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Cantina: The time has come to talk about plots and plans and nefarious schemes, cabbages and kings. I need tha people who outline to tell me how they outline in exhaustive detail when convenience strikes, because I need to learn, and if not through others' experiences, is goin' to take a while! Help me Obi Wan Cantinobi, you're my only hope. :eek:

I reverse engineer a lot of plots. Start with what I want the end result to be, then ask questions for big picture how to get there. I pick a handful of major events and plop them into a Word file as chapter headlines (i.e. Chapter 1: Whiz-Bang Opening, Chapter 10: Big Fight, Chapter 20: Huge Reveal, Chapter 24: Epilogue, etc). Under each chapter heading is 1-2 sentences detailing the concprt of what happens in that section.

That said, the outline is just a blueprint and the finished novel is always different than the initial outline. Stories grow and evolve when you're in the thick of it, so I don't stick too close to the plan if something better hits me along the way.

Afternoon, gang.

Whut up?

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Woof, you guys. Just. Woof!
Is that tired woof or new pupper woof?

I reverse engineer a lot of plots. Start with what I want the end result to be, then ask questions for big picture how to get there. I pick a handful of major events and plop them into a Word file as chapter headlines (i.e. Chapter 1: Whiz-Bang Opening, Chapter 10: Big Fight, Chapter 20: Huge Reveal, Chapter 24: Epilogue, etc). Under each chapter heading is 1-2 sentences detailing the concprt of what happens in that section.

That said, the outline is just a blueprint and the finished novel is always different than the initial outline. Stories grow and evolve when you're in the thick of it, so I don't stick too close to the plan if something better hits me along the way.

Afternoon, gang.

Whut up?
Yeah, I don't remember any of those being chapter titles in your books.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb. I see your saying and raise you the original version.

How about: "The blood of my enemies is thicker than the water needed to clean up this friggin' mess." -CM version. ;)

Yeah, I don't remember any of those being chapter titles in your books.

My editor said those titles didn't do well with focus groups. But you should see my WIPs. There are chapters like, "Write Something Awesome Here", "UGH, No Clue, Maybe Just Blow Something Up" and "Hm, I Really Like Strawberry Rhubarb Pie".

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
My editor said those titles didn't do well with focus groups. But you should see my WIPs. There are chapters like, "Write Something Awesome Here", "UGH, No Clue, Maybe Just Blow Something Up" and "Hm, I Really Like Strawberry Rhubarb Pie".
When I was in college I received a scholarship to go to a really swanky screenwriting conference. And part of the scholarship included a five minute pitch session with an honest-to-god real life movie producer. (There were a bunch. We got to pick one that seemed like a good fit.) So I went in and pitched my post-apocalyptic retelling of MacBeth, which, at the time, I had titled "Blood and Doom"

And, yes, he did give me a little side-eye over the title, but was, on the whole very polite even though it was clear I barely knew what I was doing. (I also was in a three day workshop with Ian Abrams - creator of Early Edition - and that was a really insightful experience.)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Effby: A lot of folks (especially non-writers) think that novels are sold on-spec. (An outline and a few sample chapters.) Even a lot of beginning writers seem to think that because their first few chapters seem so amazing that surely a publisher would want to pay them to write the rest of it.

(Authors with an established record of finishing novels that sell, especially when continuing a series, can sell new books via a proposal, but it's almost unheard of these days for debut authors to do so. Or even established authors with lower sales numbers.) You should also remember that there are plenty of folks who think that "editing" a first draft means running spell-check on it. I've had a rather surprising number of folks who are very surprised that I don't send my ideas to a publisher and get paid to write them.
All excellent points.

Yes, this was a picture of the exact moment my grandad and neighbour discovered they had forgotten to attach the shower drain to the main drain and decided it wasn't worth the trouble and not to tell my dad either. And so thirty years of shower water ran into the driveway ground.
Wow. I'm not sure whether to cringe or laugh. :p

I don't reverse engineer my plots, but I do reverse engineer my characters. They pop into my head as they are in the story and I have to figure out how they got that way.

Good. To quote Kathryn Janeway,

"You know as well as I do that fear only exists for one purpose: to be conquered."
Janeway is on my TV right now! Season 7, Episode: "Q2".

I have the usual Sunday tired. My mom and I did all the yard work in the heat and humidity yesterday and my (pathetic excuse for) biceps are sore from wheeling multiple 40 lb. bags of dirt in a wheelbarrow from the front yard to the back yard and dumping them in the uneven places in the yard. My sinuses are also not super happy right now, which is annoying. But Sunday school was fun today and I think I feel like doing werdz despite being tired. I have names for all my male dwarves and Snow White herself in my retelling, but now I need to find names for the female dwarves, the prince, the Huntsman, the Evil Queen, etc. Then I'm going to finish writing down as much as I know about them for now.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Hola, Cantina. Today, I was a hermit. I talked to no people, left no premises, and wore no real pants. Huzzah! ION: I pick up my mood stabilizers tomorrow, and I'm honestly so excited for the lights to come back on in all the dead spaces of my brain that I can't even talk about it. Maybe I'll even be able to make some wordz happen in a few weeks. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It was too hot today to do anything but hermit. 118F where I'm at, with projected 120F+ Monday and Tuesday. This weather is the price we pay for Phoenix winters.

Tidying up my pitch list for #SFFpit next week, and my query letter for a revised mms. I should be writing sequels or doing housework. Weathered the family Father's Day call only by not talking about politics. Dad's okay, but majority of my sibs voted Trump.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
father's day wasn't as bad as I worried it would be. we were all on our best behaviour, thank god

How about: "The blood of my enemies is thicker than the water needed to clean up this friggin' mess." -CM version. ;)

going to say this from now on

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I can get behind that.

I can get behind those titles! :ROFL:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina. The replacement of the back deck and steps begins today. Wordage in the meanwhile. At some point I'll also watch the final two episodes of Star Trek Voyager which I hope is sufficiently satisfying. Crochet should happen today too.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I am told by a new walk-in therapist I tried at my local hospital that I gotta stop with all the therapy (not necessarily literally) and start getting 'out there' finding something to do and going and doing it. You know, like, making friends and being social and possibly *gaspeth* working/volunteering. She also said I was good conversation and actually even called me a pleasure to meet! :eek: She was a bit on the aggressive side though... like, she wasted no time making ME think and come to conclusions that are uncomfortable but probably also true... Apparently expanding one's comfort zone is a healthy and safe activity when done right and with baby steps. Who knew??? :O

Good therapist. Aggressive can be good, especially if she's making you do things :D

That's how I got into beekeeping.

:yessmiley:yessmiley

I haz purty new steps, you guys! Lookit, lookit, lookit! ----> https://www.instagram.com/p/BVasmYDBdQN/

Purty!

Oh oh oh, almost forgot, I also started watching North and South last night. It's good, I likes it. Richard Armitage

Mmmmmm Richard Armitage... :drool:drool

Okay, Cantina: The time has come to talk about plots and plans and nefarious schemes, cabbages and kings. I need tha people who outline to tell me how they outline in exhaustive detail when convenience strikes, because I need to learn, and if not through others' experiences, is goin' to take a while! Help me Obi Wan Cantinobi, you're my only hope. :eek:

I typically use the snowflake method. At least to some degree. Last time I didn't do the extended multi-page outline part, or the full-page character sketches. I think I'm going to not skip that stuff on the one I'm outlining now. I'm having to do way too much revising/rewriting without those steps.

Another Snowflake user here! I modify it to my own nefarious purposes. I create the synopsis first, but go back and forth adding to my character profiles as I go. Once those two are done, I do the scene list - and go from there. Some adjustment is always required. Once I planned one scene but wrote eight. I've also combined 5 planned scenes into 2. YMMV. But for me, it's a great way to add subplots and make certain they're not only integrated, but are all addressed by the end of the book.

This weekend was tiring, but good. This show was a 4 hour drive northeast of my home. This is the farthest I travel for a show (except Dragoncon). It's a new area for me and my work, so I was apprehensive. Also, 3 hours into my trip, my car overheated (steam billowing from the engine!). I pulled over, let it cool off, carefully (with my jacket) cracked the radiator cap, and let it cool more. Almost dry, ugh. And this was 5 minutes after 5pm on a Friday in a strange town. Luckily, my google foo worked and I found a place actually open until 6! The single guy was happy to help. It turned out to be only a $150 repair (it could have been SO much worse) and he was able to get the part. I was on the road again in 1.5 hours, and got to the show in time to get my booth spot and set up.

The show itself was good - average sales for me. Which is good, because so far this year, my sales have been at about 60% of my normal average! Great weather, if hot. Half the crowd on Sunday. Major thunderstorm on my way home (again at the 3 hour mark!) to the point it was difficult to see the faded white lines on the highway, and a sign had blown into the road ON the exit ramp to the other highway. Still, I made it home in one piece, tired but not exhausted.

This weekend and next is the New York Faerie Festival! My first time there. Two three-day weekends. It's only 1.5 hours from home and I'm staying over a friend's house, so easy-peasy.

No writing lately- other stuff has taken over for now. More later.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score

On point.

XD "Maybe just blow something up" is usually a solid plan.

- - -

Morning, Cantina. I arrived at work today to find that I actually have a project to do that requires me to stay at my desk all day. So that's a nice change.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score

Divide story idea into three parts-->summarize the goal of each part-->create flowchart-->create scene summaries of each part of flow chart (30K increments), revise as needed.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of like GD in that I use a modified Snowflake.

I start with a summary--usually about 2-3 sentences. Then I start expanding that. First, it's a paragraph, then an overall view of the plot and a bit about each character. Then I break things down into chapters where I do a who/what/when/where/why and flesh out what needs to happen to progress the plot. Most of these things happen on regular old pen and paper.
Next, is transferring those chapters down into a word file or chapter file in LSB. As I write, I highlight the things that I use as I write the chapters in one color. If I add something I highlight that in another and then add that to the outline in the files. This way I know what's going on.
I also keep files for ALL the characters, even if they are minor (not background characters). This way I can easily see if I've used the same name more than once in a story or similar names, which can be confusing. I also write out a brief paragraph or two about the person if they are secondary characters and keep all of that in a spreadsheet. Yes, I keep a character bible.
If all of this seems complicated it is. But again, I'm planning a 5-10 book series so I've got to organize things NOW otherwise things will go to H. E. Double Hocky Sticks later. :D

Work isn't bad. I work 4 hours a night drifting between different departments pizza/subs. Only issue I'm having is a stupid muscle in my lower shoulder that seizes up and about makes me cry. I forgot to take some ibuprofen before work so that didn't help. Going to make an appt to the chiro and see if that will help. Oh and I forgot how easily I bruise, I've got a dozen little bumps that are purple all over my arms.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Example: For The Enchanted Swans, this is what I had written for my synopsis (sometimes it changes as I write the book itself!)

Children of Lir Snowflake

Shortly after the last battle between the Sidhe and the Gael, Aobh (daughter of Oillel of Ara) and Lir of Sioth Fionnachaidh had a true love, but it is cut short when she dies in childbirth. Story starts as the mother is dying, giving birth to the twins Conn and Fiachra. She has four children, Fionnuala, Aodh, and the twins, Fiachra and Conn. Lir is despondent, and almost kills himself. The only thing that keeps him in this world is the love he has for his children. In order to keep him as kin and ally, the king of the Tuatha de Danaan gives Lir Aoibh’s sister, Aoife, as a new wife. Ravens teach royal children magic, and they are bonded, giving long life to the ravens.

Aoife is a sorceress, and jealous of the love Lir has for his four children. After several years, and a year of illness, she decides she must rid herself of them. On a trip to see the king, Bodhbh Dearg, she takes a detour into a frightening wood. By a lake (Derravaragh in Westmeath), she offers untold riches, whatever they want, if the servants will kill them. They refuse, as they love the children as their own.
Aoife tries to kill them herself, but a geis when she was a child prevents her from doing so. Instead, she turns them into swans using a druid staff, and curses them to live on for 300 years in 3 different bodies of water (Lake Deravaragh/Dairbhreach (Lake of the Oaks), Straits of Moyle, Irrus Domnann/Sruwaddacon Bay). Fionnuala fights back, declaring that she must know the terms of the curse. She tells her that the doom will end when a king from the North weds a queen from the south, and when you hear the sound of a little bell that rings for prayers. The king and queen come and forces her to recant somewhat, allowing them to have the music of the sidhe and their human voices.
The king banishes Aoife to the form of an air witch. In the meantime, he and his court pay tend to the swans on the lake for the first three hundred years. Tales of the swans go far and wide across the land, to Sidhe and Gael alike. When their time is up, they must move on to the Sea of Moile for their second term of imprisonment. The air witch follows them and harasses them, though insubstantial in form. The fierce wind rips her away when the swans work newly learned battle magic.

The sea is harsh and they lose track of each other in a storm, but eventually they are reunited. A gift from Nuala’s former love, silver chains to connect them, keep them from truly losing each other. They see some of their father’s men, Fergus and Aodh, sons that bring back word of their survival, but fewer and fewer people come to the seashore to see them. Nuala and Mochán form a love.

Their third term is isolated and harsher than the see, whipped by the winds of the Atlantic storms. On their way, they rush back to their first lake, where they are eager to see their father’s family once again, but they recognize nothing. The fair hall they lived in as children was long gone in 900 years, leaving only extensive ruins and an extensive withered garden. Deoch, the daughter of the king of Munster, hears about the swans from Mochán and orders the Warrior king, Lairgnen, king of Connacht, to bring them to her. She tries to remove them from their designated place, but they escape her clutches by singing their captors to sleep. They discover that Aoife was actually controlling the queen.

After their 900 years are over, they retreat to the Isle of Inis Gluaire, where they find a stone building with a ringing bell, and monks to help them break the curse. Through Mochán, they make friends with one of the monks, Caomhóg. He describes the changes in the world since they have been cursed, and offers to baptize them into the new Christian religion. Another monk accuses Caomhóg of consorting with daemons, and tries to have him expelled from the monastery, but the swans save him by agreeing to become Christian.

They are baptized by noon that day. The air witch is finally banished. As the sound of the bell rings in the twelfth chime, they are transformed back into humans with the voices of angels, and they charm the monks with their songs.

They revel in their forms, but begin to age. They begin to panic, and sorrow befalls them as they mourn the loss of their true lives. The monk tells them to trust in god, but they disbelieve the god that gave them their life only to snatch it away again. They appeal to the old gods, but in vain. The old gods at least slow the aging to a few days. They do as much as they can, eating foods and loving life, before they die. Nuala enjoys two weeks of pleasure with Mochán. They are buried standing, Fionnuala in the middle.

Some of my character profiles. Again, sometimes they took lives of their own and the final product didn't look like the plan!

Aobh Bán – dead mother, daughter of Oillel of Aran – From all accounts, she was a shining star, a sweet woman. In reality, she was a bit bland, and biddable. She could do exquisite embroidery and sing sweetly. She loved her children dearly and sang them songs, sang at dinner, etc. Blond, tall, willowy, a bit sickly, pale ivory skin, blue eyes. Like a wraith in the night. Was once courted by Cliach, the Harper of the King of the Three Rosses in Connacht, who played for a year outside, but failed. A lake burst up under his feet on top of the mountain, Loch Bel Sead.

Aoife Rua – 7 years younger sister of Aobh – a strong woman with red hair, freckles, and black eyes. Tall and thin, but with some curves. Strong personality, but insecure, needs reassurance that she’s beautiful, always lived in the shadow of her more beautiful, biddable sister. Troublemaker. Gets involved in sorcery, makes a mistake that leaves her sick for a year.

Lir – A big man, dark reddish brown hair and bluff, controlling, truly loved Aobh and was despondent and destructive when she died. He went on a rampage, and was never quite right afterwards. He dotes on his children, and while he is very controlling of Aoife, he ignores her affections. He is abusive in language and sometimes deed. He treats her like a lowly servant. Lived on Sidhe Fionnachaidh, the Hill of the White Field on Slieve Fuad. First (Pre-Aobh) wife had died after a three-night sickness. His first wife had given him two sons, Manannán and Lodan.

Fionnuala – Efficient young lady, age 14, full of energy and strong of opinion. Sasses back to her father regularly, but he loves it. Training in weapons. Great at the bow, but wants to learn spear on the sly. Hates cooking, but learns it as her duty. Reddish-blond hair, freckles, gawky and thin, but has some muscle tone. Beginning to bloom and notice men, gets in trouble occasionally for that.

Aed – Age 12, blond like his mother. Fionnuala is used to watching out for him and caring for him, getting him out of scrapes. He tries to follow Nuala (nickname) in everything, sometimes ruining her trysts with young men. He loves gardening and forests, climbing trees, finding new plants. Good at spear, not so much at sword. Helps Nuala learn spear. A very serious child, given to prophesy.

And my scene list (as it started)
  • Childbirth death scene of Aobh

• Nuala going to tell her father of her mother's death/wailing, rampage

• Nuala taking over the household duties, with help from the ravens

• Nuala and Aed try to pull father out of his misery and fail

• Lesson from the ravens, memory of their parents' wedding through magic

• Funeral

• During archery lessons, Aed injures himself. Nuala flirts with a young nobleman Tadhg

• A Milesian visitor comes to the hall, from the king, offering sympathy; got through glamour

• Lir ejects the visitor with a mad rampage about the Milesians, but the bard calms him with a song

• The bard sings Lir to sleep while the ravens help. Nuala takes notes of the magic

• Nuala learning of the battle of Tailltu from the ravens; Lir and Tadhg joins them

• Kitchen disaster; Nuala fails to prevent a fight among the staff

• Nurse Saoirse sings the babies to sleep,starts telling tales of when Nuala was young. A bit mad.

• Father starts wailing, disrupting the whole castle.

• Nuala, doubting her abilities to run the castle, runs into the forest for peace. Tadhg tries to follow

• The ravens find her, drag her back as the children are ill.

• Soothed once again, Nuala falls into a deep slumber, dreams of her mother; prophesy

• The dreams turn to portents and danger, white feathers and air demons

• They travel to Bodb Dearg's court for a family visit; Tadhg joins them

• Lir's despair concerns the court, as he talks to few people.

• Bodb Dearg offers another sister, and Lir chooses Aoife; Tadhg's father announces his betrothal as well

• Aoife is solicitous, but Nuala is suspicious, tells suspcions to Tadhg

• Wedding scene, great party! Hawlen warns Nuala something is wrong

• Nuala and Aed sit in the nursery with the ravens, introducing the babies to their own bondmates

• Aoife takes over at the household, creates friction; bard goes mad; Aed tries to help

• Aoife, jealous of Lir's solicitude of the children; ravens tell of Aoife's geas and prophesy

• Hawlen brings word from White Council on visions - gives some lesson in curse deflecting

• Lir gets angry at Aoife and beats her

• Going to bed - Children in Lir's bedroom; Hawlen brings news of Milesian treachery; killing ravens

• Aoife falls ill and into delirium; Aed takes healing duties

• Nuala must take over housekeeping again, but is much better this time, after Aoife

• Aoife tries to kill Aed's raven with her bare hands

• Aoife recovers after a year, but she is not the same. Wants to host party for Milesians

• Preparing for a trip to the court, Nuala puts a poison in Aoife and Lir's cup so they stay home

• The trip is longer than usual, and the children fall asleep on the floor of the carriage.

• When they awake, they are near Lake Dairbhreach, and Aoife tries to get the servants to kill

• Aoife, in a rage, tries to kill the children, who are awake now but the geis prevents her

• Nuala tries to talk Aoiife down, but mentions Lir by mistake, Aoife curses them

• Nuala counters part of her curse, retaining voice and song.

• Aoife runs to court without them, and they sing sorrowful songs on the water

• Aoife tells king they were killed by boars, but he doesn't believe her; banishes her as a demon

• King searches for the children, finds them by the lake

• Lir, Bodb Dearg, and the swans try to find a way to break the curse

• Ravens are sent to research magic with druids

• They sing to serenade the court as they camp that night; aed guilt at all his fault

• The ravens return, with no good news. They promise to stay by the children

• Added scene

• Added scene

• Added scene

• Added scene

• Added scene

• Aoife demon returns to harass them, but the ravens chase her away

• Tadhg visits after 10 years. Wife is dead, has a child, she is adorable and named Finna

• Las must retire from her guard duty, due to illness. Tor takes over guardship, adds Roisinn (fem)

• Ravens continue to teach magic, and continue to try to transform.Porrig botches spell, ravens are ill

• Finna (adult now) gifts them silver chains, the ravens are healed

• They must leave their home now, 300 years later, for the Sea of Moyle. King and Lir are sad;

• The flight is beautiful across the land; almost lose the twins.

• The ravens get separated from the children, and they despair. Tor finds them.

• They find a haven in a rocky island in the sea. Stawn comes with a solution.

• A storm comes, and they fear separation, but remain together with the silver chains

• They form a plan in case it happens again; finds Roman trader and make friends/Roisinn falls in love

• Stawn performs his magic, but dies as a result of the spell.

• Porrig visits one more time before going to Tir na nOg

• They despair ever surviving the curse; mourn lost childhood; Roisinn leaves for love, only Tor left

• Porrig tells of Bodb Dearg's death in a battle beneath the hills

• Harassment by the air demon again, Nuala casts spell to rip her away

• Peace sleeping in each other's wings. Tor must leave, his replacement comes- Celt Conor Dubh

• They meet a druid MOCHÁN, on shore, helps them learn more magic to keep them sane, adopts children

• Find their father's men, Fergus and Aodh, on shore, barely remembered.

• They sing a song to bring on the night, sad and sorrowful, but together. Nuala loves Mochán

• They must travel to their third term of the curse. Frightened of the journey

• They see the king's home, but it is abandoned and grown over. Despair.

• Beautiful journey across the land; Riordan caught with a local girl when they arrive

• Frozen sea, cave, they still have each other, and MOCHÁN follows them to keep care of them.

• King Tadhg yet lives. Old and a bit mad.

• Fiachra tries to go feral, almost dies trying to leave. Nuala must heal his mind, and goes mad herself for a while

• MOCHÁN heals Nuala's madness

• They see ravens, but they are no longer magical ravens. They are dumb beasts

• Anticipation as their third term nears end; will she be happy in the underworld? Will MOCHÁN join?

• Lairgnen appears, to take them to Deoch. They escape with magic song putting them to sleep.

• Visit by Caomhog, with news of the marriage of a king and queen from north and south

• Curse finished, but not transformed. Retreat to isle of Inis Gluaire for bell. A peaceful garden

• The monk, Caomhog, greets them and tells them the changes in the world. Wants to baptize

• Another monk accuses them of being demons, try to expell them.. They agree to be Christian

• Baptism into the new faith

• The demon appears to stop the baptism, but the monks, druids work together to banish her

• They transform into humans, charming monks and druids with their sweet songs

• They begin to age. Druids tell them they will die. They beg God and the gods to give them life

• God doesn't answer. The druids say gods can only give them a few days.

• They enjoy their few days in song and revelry, Nuala makes love to the druid, and they die.

• They are buried standing as four, and the five stars swoop across the sky, reunited in Tir na nOg

See all those 'added scenes'? It's where I expanded one into 6 :) I keep track of how far through the book I am by dividing my current scene by the total, and then multiply my word count by that amount. It gives me a percentage completion, but it's skewed if my scene count changes too much.

What can I say? I'm a numbers gal.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

I've done this kind of thing before, too. My fave was "Shit Gets Real".

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was when I was workshopping in a fiction writing class and someone underlined the dialog line "My sassy little grease-kitty" and just put XD next to it. Stupid line, but hey, I made someone laugh with it.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
6 hours later...

Winks' words of wisdom: don't forget you sprayed something with one cleaner and then spray another one on top of it. There went half my last day off, sick as a dog after fumigating myself by accident.

*sigh*
O.O *tapes gas mask to Winks' bubble wrap*

The best I've got is, "Put Moar Stuff Here."

Aaaarg, my sinuses. Decongestant today. I finished watching Star Trek Voyager last night. The finally was pretty cool though slightly confusing for a little bit. Now I'm starting Deep Space 9 which my mom calls Star Trek with extra angst. :p I also crocheted and did words.

Today = moar werdz, moar crochet, and more construction on the back deck, the railings if which they were able to remove just by lifting them because no one bothered putting them in the ground when the thing was originally built. Dude. Anyway, it's wierd looking out the back door and just seeing a several foot drop to the ground. Thus deck will be the exact same as the last one except with things actually in the ground and a gate at the top of the steps so beagle and any future doggy we might get can sit out there with us without needing a leash.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was when I was workshopping in a fiction writing class and someone underlined the dialog line "My sassy little grease-kitty" and just put XD next to it. Stupid line, but hey, I made someone laugh with it.

Mine came during an exchange between our intrepid MC and an extremely antagonistic interrogator, and requires a few lines of lead-up:
"Your next question?"

For a moment she sat, collecting her thoughts. Then, noticing her untouched coffee mug, she drained it. "If you knew where Deri Spectra was, why didn't you capture him for interrogation?"

"I doubt I was thinking that far ahead at the time," said Richard flatly.

"You mock me?"

"If answering a question honestly is interpreted as mocking you, how do you expect me to answer any more of your questions?"

"Continue to bait me and you will find you've hooked a much bigger fish than you were looking for."

"I’ve brought a very expensive fishing pole."

On another note, that's a line of dialogue that I'm extremely proud of because I didn't write it. The character did.

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Thank ye fer all der plottery input you's gais! :D It done gived me a happy to see such different differentnesses in approach to plottery as y'all all have got. :) I must say, I really do appreciate all the in-pitches what have been pitched in regarding this particular topic. I can't quote you all (easily) from a tablet, but I can throw big hefty mega huggles at everyone until it's clear how much I wuv you's all. :) <3 :eek:

I decided to try using physical notecards for my plotting, and have coloured them according to the colours that make me happy (I had a pastel set sooooo...). I now have 13 going on 30 chapter/scene plots plotted in a plot-like fashion. Yay me! :D

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. My scene bookmarks are always a bit understated. "Character A gets in to a bit of a pickle" (arrested for war crimes), "Character B visits her mum" (ended in body horror), "Character C is hot and bothered" (ends up on fire).

Status
Not open for further replies.