Status
Not open for further replies.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ah, IKEA, land of wonders and horrors. The meatballs are good, the kitchen section seductive, and their furniture lives down to the legends of its horrible instructions. I once put together a set of massive bookshelves that fell apart...until I slid the 1/8" plywood into the back channel. I still don't quite trust those shelves, even after application of Gorilla Glue.

Sockycat, Imposter Syndrome never goes away. It's better than Dunning Kruger Syndrome.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, IKEA, land of wonders and horrors. The meatballs are good, the kitchen section seductive, and their furniture lives down to the legends of its horrible instructions. I once put together a set of massive bookshelves that fell apart...until I slid the 1/8" plywood into the back channel. I still don't quite trust those shelves, even after application of Gorilla Glue.

Sockycat, Imposter Syndrome never goes away. It's better than Dunning Kruger Syndrome.

When I moved out last year I furnished my entire place thanks to IKEA. It's a broke college student's dream.

If it makes you feel better, thanks to faulty instructions we were about halfway through building our entertainment center when we realized something....we built it upside down.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just now hit me. Youngest is graduating TOMORROW! No more little boy! :cry:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
That's how they get you.

I had a very hangry husband in tow as well. It was not a good day in the Winks household.

I've only been in it three times. Once to buy an ikea bag as the going away gift wrap for a dear coworker friend who now works high up there (so I say nothing when it comes to the product), once when we got lost and once more with an artist friend who swore we'd only be in there a short while (she lied; I bought random crap that I still haven't done anything with as 'craft' projects).

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Halfway through the IKEA maze (the first time I took MrJJ there), I overheard a woman telling her companion, "This is the point where you start to feel like you're never going to get out again."

We got our cool exploding death star light fixture on that trip (the image shows it opened and closed). Totally worth it.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
When I moved out last year I furnished my entire place thanks to IKEA. It's a broke college student's dream.

If it makes you feel better, thanks to faulty instructions we were about halfway through building our entertainment center when we realized something....we built it upside down.

IKEA's faulty instructions are what keeps twenty-something guys indispensable. The cute girls next door always need help putting together a bookshelf or some such.

OMG, the Dunning-Kruger effect is the scariest thing ever. Basically, it's possible to suck at something so much that one won't recognize his/her own incompetence. You'd think this is impossible, but the effect is never as profoundly on display as while playing competitive games on the internet. Basically, the worst guy in the game is usually the one yelling at everyone else.
This has got something to do with the fact that the less competent you are, the less likely you're going to make correct decisions and learn from your mistakes.
Ultimately, I'm far more scared of being incandescently happy with my writing than wishing it were a little better. Being completely content with your work means you've hit your artistic capacity and will never improve. This complacency is the death of progress. Being disappointed means you can still imagine greater things, and may someday still reach them. So reach for the stars, friends!

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Hey, you stabbed a character in the kidney, so you have no room to pick at me wanting realistic trauma! Hmph.
Haha, yeah. Good times.

Awesome ideas. My brain keeps spinning toward other projects--I think I need to wait until closer to the deadline for inspiration.
If that's how you work.

Sockycat, we ALL have that voice! Even Neil Gaiman. He's admitted such publicly! Imposter Syndrome is a horrible thing.
I seem to recall hearing somewhere that Imposter Syndrome is a sign you're doing it right. But I could be wrong.

I've heard magical things about their swedish meatballs. Truth? I mean, not that I'm going to go to a town 45 minutes away for meatballs *has gone and will continue to go 45 minutes for meatballs*
I wonder how different those are from Danish frikkadeller. Other than being spherical, that is. They kinda look like oven-baked frikkadeller. Much easier to make them in the oven, and much tastier for my money, especially after a night in the fridge. Nom.

I've been to IKEA a few times. They have some cool furniture, but I don't really understand the cult following it's acquired over the years.
People love things they've "built" themselves, they love the reasonable prices for the quality (it's not built to last for centuries, but it won't spontaneously collapse in a week), despite the meme of impossible IKEA instructions they aren't that bad, at least not anymore, and you can get more or less literally anything in IKEA.

Halfway through the IKEA maze (the first time I took MrJJ there), I overheard a woman telling her companion, "This is the point where you start to feel like you're never going to get out again."

We got our cool exploding death star light fixture on that trip (the image shows it opened and closed). Totally worth it.
Ooh, ooh! I have that lamp! It's the coolest! Not the brightest, but plenty cool. Totally worth it. Won a design award.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, according to a professor I had, imposter syndrome usually only hits the people who are above average at whatever it is they're doing. The actual word used was "genius", but I'm not sure something so widespread as imposter syndrome could mesh with the rather narrow category of genius... But definitely above average. The source was some academic articles on (I think) psychology and learning. Didn't read them myself - it was basically just small-talk between a professor and some students.

As for IKEA... OMG, the maze! I've only been in IKEA once before, but I had to marvel at the ingenuity of the store's setup. Like, there was literally just one winding pathway to go from entrance to exit, but it took you past literally every major section of the store, as well as having some false starts where you think the path is over here, but it's actually just another alley of whichever section you're already in. Brilliant! I didn't even need to buy anything (was there with family), and I still came out thinking about a whole bunch of products I might buy someday.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Yay! That means I'm above average in writing AND in accounting! Woohoo! I'm happy with both.

A cool thing: Author group last night. We have one writer who occasionally comes, maybe 4 times in the last year? His kid is in Weeblos and he's the coach, so he doesn't get Thursdays free often. Anyway, he's our most successful author - published about 40 books. Mostly space opera/noir/chthulu humor. (Patrick Thomas if you're interested in looking him up). Tonight was the first time he was here where my excerpt was read out. He said I write like David Eddings.

Yeah? Cool! I'll take that.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Okay, I just now hit me. Youngest is graduating TOMORROW! No more little boy! :cry:
:Hug2:

Yay! That means I'm above average in writing AND in accounting! Woohoo! I'm happy with both..
So, that also means I'm above average at...pretty much everything I put my hand to that's important to me? (Writing, knit/crochet, jewelry design, drawing, teaching.) Yeah, I have a lot of imposter syndrome. It's not constant, but when it hits it hits hard.

Busy day today, Cantina. I don't think there will be much cleaning today due to the busy. I'll try to get wordage in, then we've got to pick the ripe cherries on the tree before the birds get them, then we've got to go out, take things to Goodwill and other things to the dump that got re-discovered during cleaning. We found another box of my college textbooks which I then put up for sale on Amazon, and I've sold three in two days, so gotta get the most recent one shipped. Then we have to go get the ice cream cake my mom ordered for my birthday. I don't know the flavor because she was going to surprise me. Then we bring that home and get ready for supper and the actual birthday partay. (Just me, my parents, da beagle, and the extended family via Skype as usual. I don't do big partays.) So. Busy busy hopefully happy day ahead!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm actually pretty confident in my abilities as a bead artist. That's the one area I DON'T have Imposter Syndrome in. It really does help to do a lot of art shows. Constant comments about how 'your work ought to be in a museum' and the like have finally hit home after doing shows for 14 years.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
So, I think I've hit a mid-book crisis on the WIP. A little doubt worm has me rethinking everything. My original outline was for a trilogy, with three separate arcs, climaxes, everything. There were some secrets carried over to bk2 so that more revelations could be made. Now that I'm more of a realist, I realize those other books may never be, and so maybe this one should stand on its own better. To do that, I guess I'd have to explain his motives in some corny flashbacks and risk it being all telly instead of the scenes I planned for bk2. I don't know, I don't know. :e2shrug: Everything seems so sucky right now. I'm going to keep writing anyway, but ugh.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Birthday? Another one? Already? Eesh. All right. *cracks knuckles* Has anyone seen the disco ball in a while? I mean, the preferred answer is "no" as long as no one's mysteriously disappeared.

...No one's disappeared, right?

*looks around* Guys?

Happy birthday, EFB!
:Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Happy B-day EFB!

To clarify, it's high school. He'll be going to mechanic's school later this fall.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Rat-conga-lines Effbubbles!! :Huh: Rat-conga-lines and more congratulations!! :D Good job surviving thus far, keep up the good work, and whatever you do, don't stop being so diggily-derned d'awesome!

So, I think I've hit a mid-book crisis on the WIP. A little doubt worm has me rethinking everything. My original outline was for a trilogy, with three separate arcs, climaxes, everything. There were some secrets carried over to bk2 so that more revelations could be made. Now that I'm more of a realist, I realize those other books may never be, and so maybe this one should stand on its own better. To do that, I guess I'd have to explain his motives in some corny flashbacks and risk it being all telly instead of the scenes I planned for bk2. I don't know, I don't know. :e2shrug: Everything seems so sucky right now. I'm going to keep writing anyway, but ugh.

My dude..... are- are you like, actually me??? :e2shower: Because if you are, I gotta say: Stahp eeet! :eek:

Realisticness and realism lead only to reality, and we deal in fiction! I was in tha therapsies today and I decided based on the information provided me that I gotta NOT aim for reality, or plan for reality, or expect reality. Reality is a cold, cruel, nasty, tushy-monster! :e2moon: Only aim for reality when you're shooting it with your arrows of awesomesauce escapism! What you gotta do - gotta beliebe and hope and dream and think - is work for what YOU want, your goal - your achievement, your success, your dream - to make it happen. You gotta do lots, and trust yourself, and triple-check everything anyway, and be the badass that you know, secretly, deep down between that big heart and fearsome bottom of yours that you ARE a bad-ass and your ass is bad in the best possible way. :D

Aim for the impossible, the unthinkable and unachievable; it's the only way to escape the mundane. So write that trilogy, Mary, write it and make it even better than you planned for it to be because, before, you planned for the possible, but now, now you gotta plan for the best!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Write the trilogy, Mary! Even if it takes you years, play the long game!

I'm just finishing up book 5 in my series. I have about four scenes left to finish, and then done with the first draft, woohoo! it will likely clock in at about 80K. I MIGHT finish today, but probably not until Monday.

Then I have to make a decision (after doing an edit and sending it off to the beta readers, of course).... do I work on book 6? (there are 9 planned out and this would finish up the second trilogy), or do I work on my non-related book, the Miami/Iceland time slip novel?

Decisions!!!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Flashbacks are a thing that sometimes fall out of fashion. But I find them to be a lovely seasoning if done properly. (I usually tag them in as some sort of dream, but sometimes there are just flashbacks.) The important thing is that they are still part of the story so write the accordingly.

First drafts are full of doubt. It comes and goes. Ignore it when it's there and power forward when it's not. Even if you write something terrible you can fix it later. But you'll never fix anything if there isn't something there to fix.

ION, PossumBuddy came back. He got out of the porch overnight (yesterday) and we were worried that something had eaten him. But, I suspect, he had climbed up into the bottom of the massive holly bush to sleep during the day and came back out last night. He has now been bathed and tickled and reassured that he is better off sticking close to the house.

And, I'm nearly to the end of the edits/revisions on the last Southern Gothic novella. Have to go grocery shopping today, but hoping to push through the last of these pages today and tomorrow.

Aggy, sleepy and sore

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Birthday? Another one? Already? Eesh. All right. *cracks knuckles* Has anyone seen the disco ball in a while? I mean, the preferred answer is "no" as long as no one's mysteriously disappeared.

...No one's disappeared, right?

*looks around* Guys?

Happy birthday, EFB!

Happy birthday, E.F.B.! :partyguy:

Happy birthday, EFB!

Happy B-day EFB!

Rat-conga-lines Effbubbles!! :Huh: Rat-conga-lines and more congratulations!! :D Good job surviving thus far, keep up the good work, and whatever you do, don't stop being so diggily-derned d'awesome!

Thanks, everybody!:snoopy:

Mary, listen to the peoples. They are wise and knowledgeable and all the good things. :) Also, if you write the trilogy, you get to be in the Cerberus Club (TM) with me, Dammy, and the rest who's names escape me, and you get that fancy pin to stick on your soul which totally stops pinching after a month or two! Join us! Join uuuus!

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Effby! :Cake:

Mary, writing almost never goes according to outline. Just give book one your best effort. The universe can't possibly ask for any more than that. And what's this about not having books two and three? If you self-pub book one, you can self-pub book two. Or if you have a traditional publisher for book one, you can convince someone to publish the other novels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.