The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Cantina.

I slept pretty well, but still has tired. Not a good week to be testing how effective the meds are vs how effective the physical therapy is by going without the meds for a week. (Anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer meds. Not like, anti-depressants or anything.) Between outside stress and the return of the headaches yesterday, I was absolutely beat by the time I went to bed yesterday.

I'm hoping to get a lot of wording done today. I have some stuff I have to catch up on and yesterday did not prove conducive to writing. (Aside from two separate Twitter rants - one in regard to the creeper that harassed me in the parking lot on Friday, and one about not dissing groups of fans in the assumption the fan you're talking to doesn't belong to said group.)

Anyway. I have tea. So, trying to get a little bit of a start on the morning.

Aggy, still sore everywhere

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Dragon and Bunny is the name of my next metal band.

Yahooo!

Went home sick at 3pm yesterday, after finishing what I needed to do at work. I of course felt guilty, as most others are working to 7 or 8pm right now. I still had a bad night and boss told me to stay home. I'm listening to her, but will do some work from home at least.

On the VERY plus side, I got good progress in editing my current WIP - the next step in beginning to write once again. It's been on hiatus since October. I may actually start writing again today, woohoo! It's 2/3 done. Swans is almost complete and may be up on Friday for pre-order. Morrigu is almost ready for submission. Misfortune of Vision is my WIP, book 4 in Druid's Brooch. Doing the editing, I'm getting the feel for the characters again. At first, I panicked - half of my WIP was gone! But I found an earlier version I had emailed myself (I do that pretty constantly just in case of this sort of thing) and got it in. Also, I rewrote the opening scene on the advice of my writing group. They're the bomb.

I've three more weeks of sharing with my author group before Morrigu is all the way through. I'm thinking of submitting anyhow, as further suggestions can be changed in the first editing round. I want to get that sucker in as it takes almost a year from submission to publication.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm convinced auto-correct is trickster god.
Amen.

*dons environmental safety suit* :Hug2: to everyone who is sick. Seems like there's a lot of ick going around lately. I'm not sure how I've avoided it (other than fruit eating and obsessive hand sanitizer usage), but I'm glad I am.
*borrows safety suit* *goes around and fluffs pillows and brings coffee, tea and meds to all the little sicklies*
I have simply been lucky not to get sick yet. Nothing in my way of living points to how I've avoided it thus far...other than being a bit antisocial.

Worst worries at different ages:

5: "What's for dinner?"

10: "Ugh, why's Billy so mean to me?"

15: OMG MY PARENTS ARE SO UUUUGGGGHHHH

20: finals finals finals finals finals finals finals job job job job job job job

25: Adulting is hard MERLIN'S BEARD I CAN'T EVEN LIFE *existential crisis*

30: "What's for dinner?" *existential crisis*
:roll: So true.
My novel characters are nibbling like crazy. I've been holding them off by writing pages and pages of notes. Unfortunately, Sisyphus isn't doing the same. Wish there was some magic story glitter we could sprinkle on this thread to make it all come together for anyone who visits.
Careful, nibblers can turn to biters without warning. Hopefully the notes will soothe them enough to keep them fangless for now.
Oh man, I'd love some magic story glitter.

Story, most of us here just warble about random things, but you make the nicest multi-quote responses. You have perfect Cantina etiquette!
:e2faint:
I think this is the first time in my life someone said I had etiquette of any kind, and prefect etiquette no less. *blush* Is it weird I suddenly feel fancier than I did ten minutes ago? Yeah, it's probably weird.

So I was reading this thing on a blood test we regularly run, and under the section about storage they note that the samples are to be kept in what literally translates as "foam-thingies" but actually means "marshmallows" so that was hilarious.
Well don't get those two confused if you're making s'mores by the campfire.

I hope the soreness will ebb today. Good luck on your wording, hopefully you'll have a headache and Twitter rant free day.

Went home sick at 3pm yesterday, after finishing what I needed to do at work. I of course felt guilty, as most others are working to 7 or 8pm right now. I still had a bad night and boss told me to stay home. I'm listening to her, but will do some work from home at least.
You're supposed to be resting! Not working. (And no, I shouldn't say anything because I was the same way in my high-stress, high-demand job - never called off a day sick, did get sent home early a couple times and was told to stay out a few days once).

And hey, congrats on the WIP editing progress. Again, you are supposed to be resting but I'm getting a feeling you don't know how to do nothing, so if you do start writing today, yay! I email my manuscripts to myself as well because more than once, I've had them disappear. Actually, that reminds me...I should do that today, so I don't loose all my hefty rewrites if my computer decides to eat the docs.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Worst worries at different ages:

5: "What's for dinner?"

10: "Ugh, why's Billy so mean to me?"

15: OMG MY PARENTS ARE SO UUUUGGGGHHHH

20: finals finals finals finals finals finals finals job job job job job job job

25: Adulting is hard MERLIN'S BEARD I CAN'T EVEN LIFE *existential crisis*

30: "What's for dinner?" *existential crisis*
QFT.

Wish there was some magic story glitter we could sprinkle on this thread to make it all come together for anyone who visits.
YUS ME TOO!

Is everyone watching this show? I actually switched to Voyager because Next Generation felt too dated. Enterprise felt too similar, production and content-wise, to the more modern shows I've already seen. (I saw a ton of stuff in the early 2000's... it's probably my TV-watching hey-day). Voyager is like, a nice middle ground. Unfortunately, I have yet to see this 7 of 9 Cliff is so hormonal about.
As for Janeway, I kind of adore her. Indeed, she bears more than a passing resemblance to Katherine Hepburn.
Huh. I didn't notice the Katherine Hepburn resemblance until I looked KH up just now to see what she looked like (I've heard of her and seen her movies, I just couldn't remember her face). Wow, they could almost be twins! I haven't gotten to the 7 of 9 episodes yet either. I know what she looks like, and I vaguely her from the original run, even despite how young I was at the time, but yeah, BBC just hasn't played them yet. Internet says Voyager had 7 seasons, so it could be a while yet.

Or maybe some employee was browsing Instagram at work, had cold hands, and just really, really coveted those crotchet gloves!
That would be nice. Now if they'd just stop coveting and buy the gloves, their hands would be warm! :D

Morning, Cantina.

I slept pretty well, but still has tired. Not a good week to be testing how effective the meds are vs how effective the physical therapy is by going without the meds for a week. (Anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer meds. Not like, anti-depressants or anything.) Between outside stress and the return of the headaches yesterday, I was absolutely beat by the time I went to bed yesterday.

I'm hoping to get a lot of wording done today. I have some stuff I have to catch up on and yesterday did not prove conducive to writing. (Aside from two separate Twitter rants - one in regard to the creeper that harassed me in the parking lot on Friday, and one about not dissing groups of fans in the assumption the fan you're talking to doesn't belong to said group.)

Aw. :Hug2:and here's hoping you have a better day!

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Cantina.

Hoplittle decided 3:30 AM was a good time to party. Daddy disagreed.

Plans for the day include doing laundry and making a beer run for some chili tonight. And of course working on the Sisyphus.

Well, I just did it - sent off Call of the Morrigu for submission. Woohoo! Out of eight books, my publisher has only rejected one so far, so crossing my fingers...

:e2woo:

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen Voyager. Maybe I should give it a try...

My old-old-old critique parter is back in the writing game after taking several years off to get her life sorted, and I'm so relieved! I miss having her input, and I miss reading her stuff. She gave me some good crits on one of my new short stories, but she said she didn't like that it's told in second-person POV. Now, I used to be at the forefront of people hating on the 2nd person POV trend in short stories (also: stories told via lists), but then I wrote two stories that way. They just felt like the needed to be told that way. I'm wondering, though, if they could be changed to close 3rd; one of the stories definitely can. Hmmm.

My favorite Tarantino is Kill Bill. Alas, always the odd one out! My favorite Cohen brothers film is Intolerable Cruelty, and NOBODY likes that movie. Especially when compared to say, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, or No Country for Old Men. But for me, Kill Bill is too rife with Eastern culture and comic book influences to not love. I feel like that was Tarantino at his nerdiest.

I love Kill Bill. Often it ties with Inglorious Basterds for my favorite because I love katanas and I love that big fight between The Bride and the Crazy 88s. Kill Bill influenced a lot of my first novel.

Feeling good enough to try and write this morning. Huzzah! Currently I just have a heap of word association, but it's more than I had yesterday. Progress, yeay!

Yay werdz!

Morning, Cantina.

*hands Aggy some tea and an ice pack*

Well, I just did it - sent off Call of the Morrigu for submission. Woohoo! Out of eight books, my publisher has only rejected one so far, so crossing my fingers...

Fingers and toes and eyeballs crossed for you, gd!

I did some crits today and am off to read, read, read -- one of my plans for 2017 is to read more books and short stories -- before my dentist appointment. At least that nor'easter seems to have gone elsewhere.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
*virtual chocolate and well-wishes for those not feeling well*

For many years I thought I was the Year of the Rooster by the Chinese Zodiac. I found out a little while ago that the year I was born, the Chinese New Year fell on the day after my birthday, so I was actually the prior year - Year of the Monkey. And I'm an Earth Monkey. Go figure.
I'm a rooster and for years I felt cheated out of a good zodiac. Why couldn't I be a dragon or a tiger? They're cool. A rooster's just a... stroppy bird, wrong gender too. But I reconsidered and thought "well, birds are dinosaurs technically so my zodiac sign is a featherd dinosaur..." and never felt bad about being born in a rooster-year again. :D

Also, I may be 32, but I don't really feel like it. I'm perpetually stuck in the just-graduating-from-college mindset even though that was almost 10 years ago! I'm not sure why. I think it's because I could never fully support myself with the crappy retail jobs I had so I had to stay with my parents. Maybe now that I actually have a decent paying job, I can finally get my own place.
That sounds so recognisable. Now my just-graduating-from-college mindset is starting to fade, more out of embarassment that it has been over 10 years already, mostly, than anything else. Not being entirely satisfied with where my adult life has led me probably has something to do with hanging on to it for so long.

GUYS. GUYS. THEY'RE MAKING A GOOD OMENS TV SHOW. GUYS. MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE BOOK. IS BEING MADE INTO A TV SHOW. AND NEIL GAIMAN (aka one of the two writers of the book) IS THE SHOWRUNNER. I AM FREAKING OUT. LIKE. OH MY GOD.
Cool! And good that Gaiman is involved.

Oh god, I remember being like that. Especially when I was a kid! I thought I knew everything. Now I just want to pat baby!Scripty on the head and be like "oh hon. Darling. You know nothing."
I want to pat little Froggy on the head too but just smile and not say anything. Little Froggy may have been a little know-it-all but she did it with confidence and enthusiasm while Older Froggy sometimes wishes she could have hung unto that.

Everything is better with sloths, anyway:
two_toed_sloth.png
Amen to that. All hail the sloth!

As for who should play Aziraphale... My immediate impulse is to have someone like Giles from Buffy (Anthony Stewart Head - was that his name?). Someone very much unassuming in looks, but with an expressive face, and most definitely a slightly-upper-class British accent. That's pretty much what I imagined when reading the book. Not Giles particularly, but he's the closest actor/TV character to what I was imagining.
Since reading Good Omens and watching Men in Tights closely together, they've been come a little wedded in my mind therefor when I'm re-reading good Omens, Aziraphale in my mind has a lot of Cary Elwes. He ought to be close enough to your requests.

Amen. Adulting is hard.
I love how this is become a verb. I don't need to succeed or do it well, just doing it is enough to be reckoned an adult.

I forgot what I was gonna say.

Doh!
This happens to me so very often when I come here. Maybe it's something in the tea...

Eeeh! Good luck! *crossing fingers as well*

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You're supposed to be resting! Not working. (And no, I shouldn't say anything because I was the same way in my high-stress, high-demand job - never called off a day sick, did get sent home early a couple times and was told to stay out a few days once).

And hey, congrats on the WIP editing progress. Again, you are supposed to be resting but I'm getting a feeling you don't know how to do nothing, so if you do start writing today, yay! I email my manuscripts to myself as well because more than once, I've had them disappear. Actually, that reminds me...I should do that today, so I don't loose all my hefty rewrites if my computer decides to eat the docs.

Yeah, I never do nothing. My weekend of resting involved playing Civ VI while beading and watching TV (mostly The Good Wife and Rome binge-watching). Those are all sedentary enough tasks to qualify as 'resting'. At least for me. Writing is also resting. Working, not so much. But I'm an accountant, and we're still in the throes of our Year End Reporting Crunch, which has a hard deadline in a few weeks. The whole department puts in four 70 hour work weeks. But we go back to 8-5 work for three months until quarter end, when we do about two weeks of it. Repeat. At least with the crunch times, we know exactly when they will be and can plan accordingly. Except for sickness. I blame my bosses boss (the Assistant Controller). She was deadly sick LAST week. So was my husband, with plague he brought from Maine. It cross-polinated in me, evidently. If this wasn't a crunch time, I would very easily call in sick. But the 10K (annual operational/financial report for the corporation) must be prepared and filed with the Guv'ment on a particular day, and we provide the information for that.

Congrats on the sub, greendragon!

Thanks!

Huh. I didn't notice the Katherine Hepburn resemblance until I looked KH up just now to see what she looked like (I've heard of her and seen her movies, I just couldn't remember her face). Wow, they could almost be twins! I haven't gotten to the 7 of 9 episodes yet either. I know what she looks like, and I vaguely her from the original run, even despite how young I was at the time, but yeah, BBC just hasn't played them yet. Internet says Voyager had 7 seasons, so it could be a while yet.

Listen to their voices, too. KH and Captain Janeway have that strident nasal tone. 7 of 9 came in pretty early and remained throughout, as I recall, though I don't know if I ever saw the last seasons. I got tired of too many time-travel-shark-jumping and Janeway getting away with it.

Eeeh! Good luck! *crossing fingers as well*

Thankee!

Lunch - cafeteria has good chicken noodle soup. Good for what ails me! Hopefully I can finish these two more projects and then go home. I finished one this morning (I came in around 10).

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the Chinese zodiac I'm a rabbit, and in the Western one, a virgo. That must mean I'm some meek little thing.

On the plus side, the rabbit is the luckiest of all the Chinese signs.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Did a little writing/editing last night (after midnight whoops) and planning to do more today (hopefully before midnight).

But it's also D&D NIGHT! :Guitar: I've missed the past few games so I am SO EXCITED FOR TONIGHT! I need to babysit-I-mean-heal my party so they don't die in dumb ways! My party is pretty into doing what's best for the story, even if it means letting their character die dramatically. I've got to make sure they don't do that (Although I've totally done that in our past games shhh)

The panel was on getting a plot unstuck. (Not actual creative block, but just like "Crap. I'm not sure what to do next because the thing I was going to do next doesn't seem like it will work anymore.") The workshops were on log-lines/pitches and the query process (writing a query letter and the basics of searching for an agent). It turned out better than I had feared, so that's always a plus.

That's awesome! I'm not great at loglines. I'm getting better, though.

My favorite Tarantino is Kill Bill. Alas, always the odd one out! My favorite Cohen brothers film is Intolerable Cruelty, and NOBODY likes that movie. Especially when compared to say, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, or No Country for Old Men. But for me, Kill Bill is too rife with Eastern culture and comic book influences to not love. I feel like that was Tarantino at his nerdiest.

I love Kill Bill 1! Not a big fan of Kill Bill 2 (I feel like the way Bill is killed could have been cooler, after all that build-up)

There's a prompt for your next Sisyphus.

She must be a lot of fun at costume parties and Halloween.

That's a brilliant idea! Who wouldn't get plot bunnies from that?

It's funny, she first started experimenting with this stuff when we got tickets to see the premier of Canada's first 3D movie. It was a zombie horror/comedy made completely in the area we lived in at the time. We made zombie costumes and she covered us both in awesome looking fake wounds. Not many people dressed up for the premier, but, thankfully, we weren't the only people who did. The director and writer looked so happy to see us! We ended up posing with them for photos and they insisted we pretend to eat them :roll:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
But it's also D&D NIGHT! :Guitar: I've missed the past few games so I am SO EXCITED FOR TONIGHT! I need to babysit-I-mean-heal my party so they don't die in dumb ways! My party is pretty into doing what's best for the story, even if it means letting their character die dramatically. I've got to make sure they don't do that (Although I've totally done that in our past games shhh)

"You're on the verge of death! Allow me to heal you!"

"Gasp... Oh, my dear love, we may never meet again in this world, but let my will be an aegis over your soul..."

"..."

*poke*

"Oops, I jabbed my healing staff right into their wound! Well, there goes their last hit point. Here's a new character sheet."

"..."

"...what, you didn't want that touching death speech to go to waste, did you?"

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
That would be nice. Now if they'd just stop coveting and buy the gloves, their hands would be warm! :D

:D! Haha, okay! You got me.

I am a Rooster and a Pisces.

A bird and a fish.

Bird + fish = ...siren.

*Pauses in deep thought*
"Whoa..."

*Claps excitedly*
I am a Monkey and a Sagittarius.
A primate and a half-horse archer.
Or... A half-monkey centaur that flings poop from his bow!

I love Kill Bill 1! Not a big fan of Kill Bill 2 (I feel like the way Bill is killed could have been cooler, after all that build-up)

**Minor spoilers ahead, even though the movie is called "Kill Bill."**
Indeed! The five point palm exploding heart technique is the most anti-climactic martial arts move ever, but it's also poetically the move Pai Mei refused to teach Bill and Elle Driver (the latter kills him over this by poisoning his fish heads, which is a hilariously Kung Fu B-movie trope). Anyway, it's the secret weapon the master has uniquely gifted our hero, ergo she must wield it responsibly but with great vengeance! This probably sounded really silly for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Hoplittle decided 3:30 AM was a good time to party. Daddy disagreed.
Get used to disagreeing with her on when partying is appropriate.

In the Chinese zodiac I'm a rabbit, and in the Western one, a virgo. That must mean I'm some meek little thing.

On the plus side, the rabbit is the luckiest of all the Chinese signs.
Or not a Virgo for long. :e2brows:

Dog Pisces, dogfish. Wooden dogfish.

It's funny, she first started experimenting with this stuff when we got tickets to see the premier of Canada's first 3D movie. It was a zombie horror/comedy made completely in the area we lived in at the time. We made zombie costumes and she covered us both in awesome looking fake wounds. Not many people dressed up for the premier, but, thankfully, we weren't the only people who did. The director and writer looked so happy to see us! We ended up posing with them for photos and they insisted we pretend to eat them :roll:
Oh, that's awesome!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
:hi:

The last few days have been crazy busy with family life. Not as much writing as I would like, but it's hard to get lost in your own head when everyone around you is bickering in the most annoying voices possible.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm an monkey and Aquarius - Sea Monkey... just add water! Watch them grow!

Been at work most of the day. Bleh. Almost done, though. I hope.

Yay! Got my Q4 royalty statement! Should get my Paypal in a few days. Woohoo! It's only about $85 a month, but that's $85 more a month than I made before :D

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I am an earth-ram and an Aries. Grounded, passionate, stubborn as the day is long, impulsive, committed, argumentative. Basically a two-headed goat. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.