The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to lily on all the surviving up until this point! YEHAW! Live dat lyf :eek:

ION: You know that feel when you are forced to interact with the most pestilential of buttheads on a regular basis? ONLY this butthead doesn't realise he's pestilential, literal poison to the mind and stuff, and is also violent and incredibly rude? Like, actively cruel, nasty violent and rude. Because that describes one of the people I played hockey with last night, and for the first time in years I swore back at him for hitting me unduly (admittedly, I had given him a few lovetaps earlier in the game, mostly because he had the puck or was in my way). I yelled, like, at the top of my voice without letting it go all high-pitched and weak-sounding (hockey players don't respond well to any sign of weakness)... and no one made a comment afterward... though he left me alone for the last five minutes. Those were good minutes. :\

I just get so angry at people like this specific individual, and usually I keep that to myself, but for once, I was just like, !@#$%^&* right back at him. Ugh, I just want to play a game and be left alone, not have some dude swing his stick at me like a golf club because I'm taking my time and tired. :( /rant

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Moar :Hug2: for Dammy.

Alas, the Etsy sale fell through, but I think I handled the situation well and left a good impression, and the buyer was very kind and understanding. I have also now learned how to issue a refund and cancel a sale, which is a skill I need to have as a seller even though I hope I don't have to do it often.

Now that that has been dealt with and I'm out of Sisyphus guesses for the day, I think I'll work on wordage for a bit.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, birthday, is it?

Happy birthday, LilyWhite! I hope you're having a nice raptor-filled birthday! :)

Oh, wait, did I get that wrong? Is that not a good thing? I can't tell right now. Blame my flu.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, birthday, is it?

Happy birthday, LilyWhite! I hope you're having a nice raptor-filled birthday! :)

Oh, wait, did I get that wrong? Is that not a good thing? I can't tell right now. Blame my flu.

I certainly am not a person who would encourage a bunch of Cantina raptors to wreak havoc throughout the Cantina.

*leads lilyRAPTORCOLORED as the raptors spread sparkles everywhere—making it completely ambiguous if this is an act of wreaking havoc or not! MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!*

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
I certainly am not a person who would encourage a bunch of Cantina raptors to wreak havoc throughout the Cantina.

*leads lilyRAPTORCOLORED as the raptors spread sparkles everywhere—making it completely ambiguous if this is an act of wreaking havoc or not! MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!*

*High pitched scream*
Chaos, beautiful chaos!

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy: yay, raptors and birthday cake going on in the Cantina!!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, is this where I say 'I've created a monster." or "It's ALIVE! ALIVE! MHAHAHAH!"

I can't tell.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
happy birthday! *hides from raptors in coffee hottub. yes. that's definitely what I'm doing in there. not drinking the coffee*

The thing I'm about to finish is a contemporary second world, political thriller, fantasy where the main character is Bi and he basically marries a man with wings because it'll help secure he's political future. There's also three magic systems and three political systems, all of which matter.

It's not romance enough for the M/M market, but it feels too -- there's like four niches here and I doubt a publisher will go for that.

that sounds like a really interesting story! I'd totally read that.

a lot of stories fill a bunch of genres. I'm not even sure it's possible for a story to sit neatly in one alone. and quite a few of those have some historic cross over already. especially political and fantasy.

Guys, I have major shite on my plate right now, none of which I can really talk about. Ugh, life.

sorry to hear that. hope it clears up soon

I just get so angry at people like this specific individual, and usually I keep that to myself, but for once, I was just like, !@#$%^&* right back at him. Ugh, I just want to play a game and be left alone, not have some dude swing his stick at me like a golf club because I'm taking my time and tired. :( /rant

honestly? good for you. sometimes you have to tell off jerks. it may or may not change things, but at least you got it out of your head and let that ass know that you're mad. you stood up for yourself, and as someone who struggles with that myself, I say 'kudos'!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Whoo Hoo. 2 transcriptions done the biggest still to go. I'm down to about 50 or so minutes per 10 minutes of talking. It's about 1400 words averaged. The only stumbling blocks are unfamiliar words, when the client goes off topic, and when she occasionally mumbles. I do have to recheck the two that I've finished for missed words and to put some of the information she didn't speak on in the file but I'm calling those two done. The next one is 2 hours long. It will roughly take me 6 days since I only do this 2 hours per day. (it's almost 3K words and that's quite a bit of typing.)

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
FWIW, someone whose work I follow online had a book that she'd tried submitting to agents and had no luck with, but she sent it in to Tor and got picked out of the slushpile.

You guys make me overly hopeful about this thing.... *mock glares at the Cantina*

Curiously, even though I can't find the desire to write, my characters still keep evolving inside my head.

TBH, this is literally why I started writing in the first place. They were keeping me up at night, but if I wrote it down, they shut up.
Thanks for the birthday wishes, folks. =^_^=

Wheeeee! Happy Birthday!

that sounds like a really interesting story! I'd totally read that.

a lot of stories fill a bunch of genres. I'm not even sure it's possible for a story to sit neatly in one alone. and quite a few of those have some historic cross over already. especially political and fantasy.

Thanks. I have a pitch for it and everything, it's just... I look at it and keep thinking it's overly complicated.

Whoo Hoo. 2 transcriptions done the biggest still to go. I'm down to about 50 or so minutes per 10 minutes of talking. It's about 1400 words averaged. The only stumbling blocks are unfamiliar words, when the client goes off topic, and when she occasionally mumbles. I do have to recheck the two that I've finished for missed words and to put some of the information she didn't speak on in the file but I'm calling those two done. The next one is 2 hours long. It will roughly take me 6 days since I only do this 2 hours per day. (it's almost 3K words and that's quite a bit of typing.)

I was looking at transcription work but it seems to be very competitive, and I already dislike the underbidding for writing jobs, never mind transcribing stuff. Do you find it enjoyable?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I can't type fast enough for transcribing. I tried to do some of it for uni assignments (quoting an audio source, for instance) and yeah - it would take about 5 pauses and replays just to get a single sentence down right.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Happy Lilyday, everyone!

Sheesh, I have not been writing enough, I'm not entirely sure where anything is one the keyboard anymore. I had to take three attempts to write the word "søge". I have not been reading enough, either, just now opened up my Sissyphus gift. Enjoying it.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Shadowflame, I feel your pain. I had the opportunity to interview Tracy Hickman for a magazine column I was doing. We wound up doing over two hours on Skype doing the interview - Tracy has lots of good stories. I spent nearly six hours transcribing the interview and then another two hours editing it (removing some of the asides and verbal pauses that didn't add to the interview). Wound up with almost 10000 words worth of interview though. I think it helped that I was the one who'd done the interview, so even when I wasn't 100% sure what was on my .mp3, I could remember the conversation and suss out the words I wasn't sure about.

Luckily, Tracy is a trooper and reviewed the interview for me in time for publication. Only had a couple of corrections to the transcript, which made me very happy.

LisaBean

I need a nap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kittrose.com

I transcribe meetings as part of my job. Meetings that can get heated (I work for a wealth manager and clients can get cranky when talking about returns on investments.) Always fun to try and decipher four people talking over each other. I am not nearly as fast as you are though!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at transcription work but it seems to be very competitive, and I already dislike the underbidding for writing jobs, never mind transcribing stuff. Do you find it enjoyable?

This transcribing job is for a private client. I'm being paid well $25 per hour. She was referred to me by my writing boss.
I actually do find it enjoyable. The secret is slowing down the tape until you can more or less keep up. I'm using VLC Media player and the speed is 40%. It's just right for me to keep up without getting behind too often unless she tosses unfamiliar words or mumbles. I do still have to pause on occasion but not as often as I did when the speed was 50%

I transcribe meetings as part of my job. Meetings that can get heated (I work for a wealth manager and clients can get cranky when talking about returns on investments.) Always fun to try and decipher four people talking over each other. I am not nearly as fast as you are though!

I was worried I was slow. I have no idea how many words I should be doing in an hour. Thank you. :)

Sian, if you want to do freelance work that pays well, may I suggest a few things.
First, see if there's a need for it in your immediate area. Does your city have a website that posts blogs? Does the municipality? I'd stay away from large corporations, but the smaller ones could be a potential gold mine.
Set up a rate sheet. Decide what your time is worth. I'd stay away from a per word pay and go for a flat fee. For example, 500 words for $50 amount. (go higher than what you would expect them to say yes to)
Next, write up specific samples for those businesses. Do a 200 word article on something that fits that particular business. This will just be a sample piece. Cater it to the business. For example, for a restaurant, you could do a brief piece on how to estimate tips (if you are allowed to give them) or perhaps a piece on Earth Day for a city.
Make an appointment with the manager, owner or other person in charge. Make up a folder that contains your sample, rate sheet and contact information and take that with you on the appointment. Also, practice what you would like to say. In this instance, you are going to have to sell your services.
Expect many of them to say no. But keep trying.
Also expect people to talk you down on the price. You can accept or not as you choose. But, see if you can do an agreement for a lesser price but over a long period of time. $30 for a 500 word article every month for a year adds up.
Make notes on who to contact later if someone is on the fence. Visit them in a month. Write a new article for them. But don't voluntarily offer to lower your prices.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Happy Lilyday, everyone!

Sheesh, I have not been writing enough, I'm not entirely sure where anything is one the keyboard anymore. I had to take three attempts to write the word "søge". I have not been reading enough, either, just now opened up my Sissyphus gift. Enjoying it.

It would take me a lot more than three tries for that word, not having a Danish keyboard setting ;)

SPARKLES AND RAPTORS OH MY! Everyone knows that glitter is the herpes of the craft world, right? That means we now have a flock of herpes-spreading raptors that can get into our coffee hottub. Not a good combo.

I'm off tomorrow for my first art show of the season. There's still four feet of snow over there. It IS an indoor show, but loading in and out might be difficult. We shall see. I still have to excavate the foot and a half of snow from around my trailer, hook it up, and shovel my driveway to see if I can get OUT. It's uphill a bit. Yay 4X4!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
*Starts singing* *Dances lively jig with walking stick and a bowler hat* *...while still singing*

Guess what you GAAAAIIIIIS!!!!??? IIIIII'm working a blaaaaaawwwg-post!! :O For the first time in YEARS (two weeks)... AND it's gonna be a BLAAAWWWGGG-post... About our Sisyfears!!! *switches tune* :D I'm workin' on the Blllaaaawwwg-post, smashin' keys and typin' words!!! It's gonna beeeee all about MMEEEEEE, and my experienceeers!!! WITH SISYPHUS! :O *Does back flip* *drops mic* /song

*is talented

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I am now officially a member of SFWA! :e2woo:

*Starts singing* *Dances lively jig with walking stick and a bowler hat* *...while still singing*

Guess what you GAAAAIIIIIS!!!!??? IIIIII'm working a blaaaaaawwwg-post!! :O For the first time in YEARS (two weeks)... AND it's gonna be a BLAAAWWWGGG-post... About our Sisyfears!!! *switches tune* :D I'm workin' on the Blllaaaawwwg-post, smashin' keys and typin' words!!! It's gonna beeeee all about MMEEEEEE, and my experienceeers!!! WITH SISYPHUS! :O *Does back flip* *drops mic* /song

*is talented

:greenie

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, JJ. :)

My Grantville Gazette stories have pushed me past the minimum threshold to qualify for SFWA membership (since it is a pro-paying market), but I'm still lacking the overall funds to make it worthwhile. (Maybe next year.)

One of our neighborhood cats got run over this afternoon. We don't feed anyone outdoors anymore (not like the colony at the old house), but there were three large toms that live mostly on the other side of the street and are fed by folks over there. Came home from Kenpo to find the black and white one dead in the road. :( I did manage to get out out and pick him up before he got mangled, but he was gone. He can go in the ground with our other babies. Sad though. He was a big, pretty boy who would come and look in our windows sometimes at night. :(

(He was also "feral" with a tipped ear to indicate he had been fixed and released, but was not specifically an individual's cat.)

Monkey's on spring break starting tomorrow so hoping to be able to sleep in a little. Finally starting to feel a little more like normal but tired out still to the point where I didn't get any writing done today either because my brain just refuses. Egh.

Aggy, time for dinner and TV

Status
Not open for further replies.