Not open for further replies.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
And I see the dong garden is over yonder as well...

<choke> Um, the what now??!

Good afternoon, Cantina.

I was a bit confused as to where everyone went. I was still subscribed to the old threat, so I was a bit stunned when I saw it locked. Eventually put two and two together and figured out we you all were.

Yeah me too, first thought was "who invaded the cantina and wrecked it?"

We prefer the term 'finance dragons' :)

:greenie

Not entire sure what happens next, or when to broach the whole 24 year old virgin thing, but I figure I'll take it as it comes, and enjoy myself in the meantime.

I'd give that a while - I think I'd have fallen off my seat if a woman had said that to me on our second date!

God, I love when this happens. The villain of my story has a wife. I had it all outlines. She was supposed to be a not-so-nice lady whom we heard a not-so-nice anecdote about. One nasty story, and that's all she wrote. We'd never even see her.

She ended up becoming one of the story's arch-villains. Pushy woman, that one. :evil

Oh hell yes, some of my best characters have shoved themselves into stories they weren't really supposed to be in and just refused to leave!

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
<choke> Um, the what now??!

There's a snatch patch too, from what I remember correctly....

(Fen was trying to say that she was doing gardening at one stage or the other, and there was a typo, and people sort of ran with it....)

I'd give that a while - I think I'd have fallen off my seat if a woman had said that to me on our second date!

Part of me just wants to just get it out of the way so it's not a thing (it hasn't gone well before), but I'm hoping that this won't go so quickly that that particular conversation won't be needed for a while yet.

But you're right - probably a bit too much for the second date :D

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina. Rota day off today, and I'll be on the train to London half an hour from now - seeing Slow West and 45 Years, both sounding good but neither SF/F/H.

Still in reviewing mode (will be until the end of the weekend) so fiction-writing is taking a back seat at the moment.

All the best for your visit to your Gran, Ali.

Glad your date went well, Sian.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Up early, made my tea. Feeling jittery as I prep a novella for submission. Agent is letting me take the lead on this one so it's mostly a question of getting over myself and sending the MS out.

Still nervous though.

Aggy, slowly breaking her coffee habit

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Yes please. I think I have something to eat around here I can trade.

Hmm, apparently it's cat biscuits. Fish flavour ok with you?
Certainly! What's a little fish-breath for a pond dweller? :D

*set big vat of steaming peppermint tea on the cantina table*

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hi Cantina. It's morning. Meh.

Gonna try to make words happen today. Or at least a little more organization.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Cantina!

I'm in a great mood so far today. I had fun at trivia last night, though we didn't actually play. The DJ had a family emergency so therefor couldn't make it. We still made the best of it, and it was nice to just hang out with friends.

@ Sian - happy to hear the date went well. Don't worry too much about the virginity thing. I'm in the same boat, except I'm a lot older, which would make the situation even more awkward. Just see where things go and have fun. :)

And since we're on the subject of dating, I've been spending a lot of time recently with a guy friend from trivia. We went biking on Sunday and really had a nice time. We share so many of the same interests and views it's kinda scary. He also gives fabulous hugs. I'm really starting to like him a lot. I just hope I'm not taking things the wrong way.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Not such a good morning. B an I will have a discussion about something from last night. He's kind of had the attitude of "Me Man of House, all must do as I say" and I knocked his ego down a few notches last night. He was still grumbly this morning. I hate fighting, but he was being a hypocrite and I called him out on his behavior. will see how this evening goes.

ION: I've got a couple more people sending me back beta reads. Great feedback so far. I think a few more tweaks and I'll be sending this one first to TOR --Shoot high folks. You never know who will pick up a story. :)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've decided to research seals a little bit today as a sideways way of researching selkies. Just wanted to get an idea of what kind of seals would live in the type of climate I have in my story, what those types of seals look like and how they behave, so on and so forth. General conclusion: Harbor seals are cute and pretty interesting. Also, leopard seals are really big, really scary and I'm glad my story isn't set in the Arctic because then the selkies would be really aggressive and try to bite a chunk out of my MC rather than help her. :scared:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I think a few more tweaks and I'll be sending this one first to TOR --Shoot high folks. You never know who will pick up a story. :)

Too right. Is their slush turnaround still in the year-plus bracket or have they got any quicker do you know?

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Too right. Is their slush turnaround still in the year-plus bracket or have they got any quicker do you know?
I think it's closer to about 90-150 days or so now. They've cut the time down considerably. Still worth it if they keep it a year. Gives me time to work on the novels that goes with it. :D

Anyway TOR isn't open again until Oct 1. So plenty of time to revise and polish.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, folks. Ever felt one idea of yours is a bit too cliché?

Occasionally yes, but then you get a chance to figure out what the cliche is and turn it on it's head.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning, folks. Ever felt one idea of yours is a bit too cliché?

Depends on your definition of cliche. One person's cliche can be another person's fresh and new, soooo, I guess my answer to the question is: Maybe. I would never write something that I really, truly thought was cliche because then it wouldn't excite me enough to make me want to spend time on it. I only write things that I love. Then I worry every now and then, at the most inconvenient times possible, that no matter how much I love it, other people will find it cliche, roll their eyes at it and throw it in the trash.

This is probably not the healthiest mentality to have. Thankfully though, when I say I only worry like that every now and then, I mean that I only worry like that every now and then. The vast majority of the time, I actually enjoy my story ideas so much, I don't care what anyone else might think. I just do my very best with them and hope that my love of the story translates to the page.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Speaking of the kraken, did y'all know that Elizabeth has been doing commercials behind our backs? ;)

https://youtu.be/SaJWYjWt9c0

*spit take*

HOW DID I MISS THIS???

I think it's closer to about 90-150 days or so now. They've cut the time down considerably. Still worth it if they keep it a year. Gives me time to work on the novels that goes with it. :D

Anyway TOR isn't open again until Oct 1. So plenty of time to revise and polish.

Excellent. *makes note*

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Good morning, Cantina!

I'm in a great mood so far today. I had fun at trivia last night, though we didn't actually play. The DJ had a family emergency so therefor couldn't make it. We still made the best of it, and it was nice to just hang out with friends.

@ Sian - happy to hear the date went well. Don't worry too much about the virginity thing. I'm in the same boat, except I'm a lot older, which would make the situation even more awkward. Just see where things go and have fun. :)

And since we're on the subject of dating, I've been spending a lot of time recently with a guy friend from trivia. We went biking on Sunday and really had a nice time. We share so many of the same interests and views it's kinda scary. He also gives fabulous hugs. I'm really starting to like him a lot. I just hope I'm not taking things the wrong way.

That's the other thing. We got on well enough, I don't know if I "like him" like him yet though. I never know those things until I've known the person for a while. My brain is weird. Anyway.

Good luck with your side of things too :)

*spit take*

HOW DID I MISS THIS???

Excellent. *makes note*

Wait, when you say Tor is open in october, do you meant that their novella department is open again? Or are you just talking the shorts?

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, when you say Tor is open in october, do you meant that their novella department is open again? Or are you just talking the shorts?

I believe Novella and shorts will be both open starting October 1.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Gahh...I wrote a climactic scene two months ago. Because I write out of order, I didn't need to use the scene right away. Now I've gotten to the point in the story where I need that scene but I
can't...
find...
it...

Is there an emoji for this emotion I'm experiencing?

Status
Not open for further replies.