Krampus and St. Nicholas

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

practical experience, FTW greendragon's Avatar
    My mom actually went to Centerville High School (somewhere in Ohio).

Filigree-- I don't know. Sensitivity readers are a kind of new thing and it's up in the air if they are for stories that would have an impact on a certain group or if all works would benefit from them. Possible solution would be to find a selection of beta readers who are instructed to focus their comments on racial, gender, sexual wordings. If this is going to be published by a publisher, I'd let them worry about it. If you are self-publishing, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Urg. Allergy attack and female issues is not a good combination. I hit a wall (metaphorically speaking) last night and when I crashed and went to bed, I barely remember B coming in this morning. Slept so darn hard! Guess I needed it.
    Fighting brain fog this morning as I'm having to take 2 types of allergy meds just to keep this under control. Everything I'm allergic to is blooming at the moment. -_-

Was going to work more on the novel, except I found an interesting issue. Apparently the cats (and this is the only way I can figure out what's going on) or something got into my file and flipped the order of my scenes. I'm not calling them chapters yet until I'm certain that I want 1 or 2 scenes per chapter. I got to where I was working yesterday and the next scene was the end of what I've written. I had hit a wall a few weeks ago with the novel but figured out where I went wrong and was inserting stuff to fix so that I could continue. But now things are flip/switched and now I'll have to fix that before I move on.
    (not even sure if that makes sense at the moment as I'm still brain fogged.)
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    There's a place in Texas called Bug Tussle. According to Wikipedia: "so named from an incident in the 1890s when a swarm of insects spoiled an ice cream social." I found that while googling to verify the spelling, and found there are actually several places in the US named that.
    I'm adding this to my Places I Must Visit Before I Die list.

Afternoon, gang.

Whut up?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Bug Tussle reminds me of Blue Eye, MO (population 2).

Yes, I used to review the MO State Highway map to see what the smallest towns in the state were. It was down to Blue Eye and Bado (pop. 4) in 1970, but in the 1980 census, Blue Eye dropped to 2, so I'm pretty sure it was crowned smallest. I suspect Blue Eye exists only to justify keeping the post office there.

Would that even qualify as a town?

I was also always enamored of the name Yeehaw Junction in Florida - a place I stopped several times. It's one current claim to fame was it acted as a sort of clearing house for coupons for the Orlando theme parks. Disney, EPCOT, MGM, etc. - you could get coupons for all sorts of things there. Substantial ones, too - like 50% off. According to the wiki article, though, that's no longer a thing

A past claim to fame was that it was a test site for biological warfare.

Guuuuuh, I'm so freaking sleepy/tired today. Not sure if it's the time of month, or if it's because I slept a little fitfully last night due to yesterday's stress over hurting my back and going to the doctor. Either way, as much as I want to write I also kind of just want to...

Also, allergies are making my nose stuffy.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Fantasy - Working title: "In Dreams They Came" -- 75,753 words & counting!
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)
    Snow White Retelling -- FINISHED!!! For realz! AAAAAH!

Twitter of sparkles | Etsy | Goodreads | Pinterest | Instagram of sparkles

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Your story of Bug Tussle, for some reason, reminded me of an obscure law on the books in Okeechobee, Florida. Now, this is purely apocryphal, but my in-laws used to live in Okeechobee (right next to the lake in central Florida). They said there was a law on the books that said it was illegal to kill an alligator with a tuba. Evidently there was a parade, there was an alligator, and there was a regrettable incident in front of children.

OK - through the first major beta revision. I added a total of 8,000 words. Isn't editing supposed to REMOVE things???

But the narrative is more realistic, there are more tie-ins. And making the insane Fae lord be behind another characters' poor decisions and bad luck is a fantastic thing. Especially as it will have it's roots in the prequel to this. Already plotting that part.

Editing is supposed to improve things. Sometimes more is necessary, if it makes the story stronger, less choppy, or covers things glossed over in the first draft.

A story is as long as it needs to be. Kind of like a wizard appearing exactly when they meant to, whether you expected it or not.

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    Your story of Bug Tussle, for some reason, reminded me of an obscure law on the books in Okeechobee, Florida. Now, this is purely apocryphal, but my in-laws used to live in Okeechobee (right next to the lake in central Florida). They said there was a law on the books that said it was illegal to kill an alligator with a tuba. Evidently there was a parade, there was an alligator, and there was a regrettable incident in front of children.

I mean, I'm sure the actual incident wasn't all that funny, especially not while it was happening.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

RW, that's exactly what I did. The beta reader pointed out places where he wanted more description, or where he felt some more explanation was needed or a choppy transition. I filled in the bits

JJ - I imagine it was both tragic and hilarious. Things can definitely be both.

Alligator and Tuba? That's epic.You have to wonder about the genesis of certain state and municipal laws.

In my perfect world I'd have Nalo Hopkinson and N.K. Jemisin as beta readers for this thing,but they're out of my league and way busy. I have four amazing beta readers already, so when the time comes I'll beg them to be brutal. If I self-publish (looking more likely by the year) I'll need sensitivity readers even more.
    Last edited by Filigree; 03-21-2017 at 08:48 AM.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster Religion0's Avatar
    On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed known as Denmark
    Took a nap, is almost midnight, still not done with exam. Not sure how I will be functional for the next one. Failing three exams and having to retake them while still going forwards with school was not my best move. Brother is being a big help, though, sitting with me, talking about things he doesn't know squid about with me, making pasta and waking me up from my nap. Good brother.

Who plans on killing an alligator with a tuba? I mean, it had to be self-defence. Of course, an alligator hunter prepping his favourite 'gator huntin' tuba is hilarious.

But the narrative is more realistic, there are more tie-ins. And making the insane Fae lord be behind another characters' poor decisions and bad luck is a fantastic thing. Especially as it will have it's roots in the prequel to this. Already plotting that part.
    Those two things only go together in fantasy.
    There is, in all likelihood, a small cuddly dog holding me hostage by virtue of lying on my foot. In a moment, she will clamber up my body and devour my brain through my nose. Please send help.

*dips a bagel into cream cheese Religion0*
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Excel has no love for anything. Excel is made of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Damoclian View Post
    "[Rel is] a rainbow creamcheese mega awesome cereal fish with sweet eyebrows and big eyes and a generally pleasant face to gaze upon on top of having a wonderful personality!"

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D _Sian_'s Avatar
    Morning. I had a piece (non-fic) that had been accepted on proposal ages ago, but then there was just radio silence, so I figured they weren't interested.

Anyway, I was going to send it out other places, but I was all "maybe I'll just check in with them again" (keep in mind that over a year had passed at this stage).

Turns out emails do get lost. 10 cents a word guys. For something that I could write in my sleep. I'm so happy.

*dances around*
    New Blog Post: Work. How to Make Words
    New Blog Post: When Not to Write
    My short in Strange Horizons: Bride Price

My more serious side - Health communications: www.sejcontent.com

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Yay Sian!
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Quote Originally Posted by Religion0 View Post
    Took a nap, is almost midnight, still not done with exam. Not sure how I will be functional for the next one. Failing three exams and having to retake them while still going forwards with school was not my best move. Brother is being a big help, though, sitting with me, talking about things he doesn't know squid about with me, making pasta and waking me up from my nap. Good brother.

Who plans on killing an alligator with a tuba? I mean, it had to be self-defence. Of course, an alligator hunter prepping his favourite 'gator huntin' tuba is hilarious.
    Oh dear... Now I'm imagining a mystery story where they find an alligator (the town macot, no less) lying dead in the street having been viciously murdered with a tuba and the MC has to figure out who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sian_ View Post
    Morning. I had a piece (non-fic) that had been accepted on proposal ages ago, but then there was just radio silence, so I figured they weren't interested.

Anyway, I was going to send it out other places, but I was all "maybe I'll just check in with them again" (keep in mind that over a year had passed at this stage).

Turns out emails do get lost. 10 cents a word guys. For something that I could write in my sleep. I'm so happy.

*dances around*
    Yay Sian!
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Oh, Tiddlywinks,

Here's a new plot bunny for you!

*evil grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Religion0 View Post

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Most Unbecoming of an AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Yay! Hi amergina! Nice spiff new title, too!
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    Number Thirty-Nine Skink, short story, Asimov's, Mar/Apr 2017
    Pinned, poem, Asimov's, May/Jun 2017
    Books of the Risen Sea, novelette, Asimov's, Sep/Oct 2017
    The Secret Life of Bots, novelette, Clarkesworld no.132, Sept 2017
    Winner of the AnLab Reader's Award for Best Novelette and the Asimov's Reader's Award for Best Novella of 2016.

"Nolite te bastardes covfefendum" -- Anon.

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Hi Zanz! I'm still around.

Somewhere.

Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    Oh, Tiddlywinks,

Here's a new plot bunny for you!

*evil grin*
    Richard has clearly been feeding my plot bunnies behind my back. Because when I read the whole alligator and tuba thing up thread, there was a suspicious wriggling of noses and tails.

I think there's a croc involved in this as well. Of the shoe variety. Because shoes. Oooh! And Frank the imp and Artie the troll might be involved....

blast.

Also? I hate you all so much for this plot bunny right now.

Especially Richard.

*plans to name the alligator or the tuba after evil Richard*

"It was Mr. White, in the swamp, with the tuba."
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

*FRESH CRITTER MEAT* "Sweet Tea & Decay" - first 1K of short available for crit

Red Riding Hood retelling
    - Chapter One (revising)

Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by tiddlywinks View Post
    "It was Mr. White, in the swamp, with the tuba."

I'll read that.
    Fueled by the coffee Tiddlywinks says she gave up...(though she's totally lying)

Yeah. That came to me at the end of the post. Now I'm gonna have to write this.

Dagnabit.
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

- Chapter One (revising)

Bloggity blog |

Okay, this afternoon, my nose started itching, I keep sneezing 3 or more times in a row, and there's so much snot. So much. This is more than what I usually experience with allergies. I think I may have caught a cold. :/ I WAS SO CLOSE TO MAKING IT THROUGH THE WINTER WITH NO ILLNESSES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tiddlywinks View Post
    Yeah. That came to me at the end of the post. Now I'm gonna have to write this.
    YUUUUUS!!! \o/

WIPs:

Somehow this has evolved into a deranged Snow White retelling. And Snow White is a goat.

And there are dwarves playing trombones and tubas.

And Frank gets stuck in the tuba.

Aaaaaaaaaaand Artie may end up with a pet goat.

ETA: for the record, I may be cursing Richard right now.
    Last edited by tiddlywinks; 03-21-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    ------------

- Chapter One (revising)

Bloggity blog |

Page 720 of 809 FirstFirst ... 220470620645670695710714715716717718719720721722723724725726730745770795 ... LastLast