The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
So today's been off to a bad start. Went to get puppy a badly needed grooming, groomer wasn't there, I wrote her, then my stomach decided it didn't like my breakfast, tried to call the groomer with no luck, had to clean up a little, went home after waiting half an hour. My tummy is unhappy and puppy is still a tangled mess.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
GASPETH! I feel like I went through all that emotional turmoil over the latest episode by myself! Get all of you hence to your viewing device of choice and watch it forthwith so you can cry and then fangirl with me! *plops on smibble pile* I'll be waiting. ;)

The biggest disadvantage to cutting cable is I don't get shows when they come out, only when they appear on Hulu, Amazon or Netflix. So no new episodes for me yet :( I will say I'm frustrated with the Shakespeare episode of The Librarians. C'mon. A person who LOVES knowledge as much as Flynn Carsen isn't going to go right back to his present time. He'd travel to Venice, or China, or the Americas, and see what life was REALLY like in the 16th century! He knows when Shakespeare dies. Use that time wisely and explore!

Last night I had some no-rice sushi, a roll made with cucumber. It was tasty and good on my diet, but it isn't agreeing with me. All night my tummy felt rumbly, and I didn't sleep well. Today I'm a bit shivery, burpy, and have NO energy. Of course, busy time at work and all. Sigh. I had goosebumps on my arms all night despite having a sheet, comforter, a warm house AND a room heater. It's not the first time I've had cold intolerance, but this was worse than normal.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Good morning! I is sleepy. No writerating for me last night because work things. I really don't want to get in the habit of bringing work home all the time in January.

So onward and upward for the writing times. And coffee hot tub! *Percolates*

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina. Gonna focus on teh werdz today. I reeeeaaaalllyyyyy hope my sisyphus turns out okay. *already has teh nerves*

*gently puts blanket over tiana*
*pounces on Zanz because she's there*

I read that as "basket" and was wondering why you would put a basket over tiana. I mean, I guess it would cozy to sleep under if you were a kitten but... yeah. Brainfart.

So I was reading this and found a Cantinite in the list. Love when that happens!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/21-fantasy-debuts-we-cant-wait-to-read-in-2017/
WOOT!

The biggest disadvantage to cutting cable is I don't get shows when they come out, only when they appear on Hulu, Amazon or Netflix. So no new episodes for me yet :( I will say I'm frustrated with the Shakespeare episode of The Librarians. C'mon. A person who LOVES knowledge as much as Flynn Carsen isn't going to go right back to his present time. He'd travel to Venice, or China, or the Americas, and see what life was REALLY like in the 16th century! He knows when Shakespeare dies. Use that time wisely and explore!
That one didn't bother me too much, but I'll admit I thought the show would commit and have a season with the team separated, the two in Shakespeare times and the rest of them in modern times, but then suddenly at the end, boom, they get back. I couldn't decide if I was happy or disappointed.

Last night I had some no-rice sushi, a roll made with cucumber. It was tasty and good on my diet, but it isn't agreeing with me. All night my tummy felt rumbly, and I didn't sleep well. Today I'm a bit shivery, burpy, and have NO energy. Of course, busy time at work and all. Sigh. I had goosebumps on my arms all night despite having a sheet, comforter, a warm house AND a room heater. It's not the first time I've had cold intolerance, but this was worse than normal.
Seems several of us had/have tummy troubles. Mine was rumbly last night too, but that was because I made myself a salad to go with supper and the salad dressing kinda dumped out of the bottle when I tried to pour it. I tried to scoop some of it off but still had a bit of a gooshy salad and along with the other things I ate, it upset my acid reflux and I had to chew Tums and prop myself up to sleep. *hugs for GD and Rel*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
From Reddit: Every conversation with ITG was like standing on a playground slide. At the top was incompetence; at the bottom, insanity. You just had to try and push the conversation upwards hard enough lest you slide downwards into madness. Eventually, gravity would always win.

Why can't I write like this?

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
So I was reading this and found a Cantinite in the list. Love when that happens!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/21-fantasy-debuts-we-cant-wait-to-read-in-2017/

AWESOME!

So today's been off to a bad start. Went to get puppy a badly needed grooming, groomer wasn't there, I wrote her, then my stomach decided it didn't like my breakfast, tried to call the groomer with no luck, had to clean up a little, went home after waiting half an hour. My tummy is unhappy and puppy is still a tangled mess.

:-(

Why can't I write like this?

Because Reddit doesn't exist in this universe.

This never really bothered me. I always assumed that they came back because they're busy. That, and I also assume they have lots of off screen adventures where crazy non plot related things don't happen, like on Doctor Who.

Hope the cold thing settles down soon, that's rough.

---

Good morning Cantina. I'm sleepy today. Also even though it's not that cold, such cold as there is keeps creeping into my bones and making everything stiff and achy.

Writing is...not happening.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
But in time travel, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get back -- on the other end of history! They'd still come back when they arrived. Also, why key your transformation to one person's voice? They keyed it to Cassandra's voice. What if they weren't found until 100 years later? No Cassandra. Silly. Better to be Jenkins' voice. At least he's relatively immortal.

Sorry, I'm in a foul hole-finding mood. I am feeling slightly better after doing some work and taking some Advil. My tummy is recovered enough to have a breakfast shake, at least.

It's snowing for the first time in two weeks. :)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Morning, Cantina. One of the kiddos from the class next door came and hugged me yesterday afternoon, put her hand on my tummy, and said, "You're having a baby!"

I think this might be a sign to go to the gym more often. :roll:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Cucumber can be difficult to digest. I have to be careful when I eat it as it tends to make me feel a little bloated and burpy for the rest of the day.

Got followed by a questionable publisher on Twitter today. (You know, the kind that propose breaking out of the box of traditional publishing and really working for the good of your book and all it takes is a 50 Euro/month subscription with a six month minimum buy-in.) Also drank some good tea, ate beer cheese and bacon fries for breakfast, got words in on one writing project. Thinking shower and nap soon. This cold is not friendly with my neck issues.

Aggy, chilly

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
That's embarrassing, LAM, but little ones don't really know much better. When I was a kid, I once asked my brother's friend if he had chicken pox. Turned out he just had acne. Oops.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
New Cantina name! So, is this "Angry Owl-Bear" a cross between and owl and a bear or is it an owl and a bear who are both angry? I'm kind of hoping for the former because then I'll feel more justified in having that Bear-Boar in my novel WIP. Part bear, part boar, all rage.
Maybe it's from Avatar!

Thanks for the suggestions Aggy and Rel. :)
Welcome!

I found a wiki article on one site that gave a run down of what games were on what consoles. Windwaker had been updated for play on Wii U, but since I don't have that, it's currently out of the running.
I do have a WiiMotion+ controller. It's pink. :greenie Hmm...I've heard good things about both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, but unless someone else says something that changes my mind, I think I'm leaning towards Skyward Sword. Maybe. Or maybe I'm leaning toward Twilight Princess. Or maybe SS, or maybe TP, or... I think I'm gonna go to teh Google and look them up. :)
Yeah, that's a shame.
Hah, I wouldn't want to choose!

I've never beat a Zelda game, but have watched people play them for hours (I really liked that when I was a kid/teen? Now Let's Plays are a thing, so I feel less weird). The best two for Wii are probably Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess was prettier, and the plot was more interesting to me. Skyward Sword fits in well with the over-arching plot of Zelda (and yeah, there's a plot, but it's more of a fan-based theory than anything, with recent canon confirmation) but you don't actually have to know the plot to play the game. It's just kind of an analysis/academic/we're-thinking-too-hard thing (which is my favourite part of any fandom, if I'm being honest. GIVE ME ALL THE SUBTEXT!). Either is a good choice, honestly. They're both well-rounded games. But Midna is only in Twilight Princess, so :tongue
I love overanalyzing fans! :greenie Yeah, you kind of have to ruminate a lot over Skyward Sword for its plot to be worth much, Twilight Princess doesn't require the same extra thinking. Personally I don't think Midna is quite as much awesomesauce as it seems the general fandom has agreed she is, although she is pretty cool.

*is even more conflicted*

I'm vaguely aware of Midna because I like listening to music while I write and there are compilations of relaxing Zelda music on YouTube. Midna's Lament (I think that was the title of the track) is really pretty. :)
Yeah, it's lovely. And it plays for a relatively long time, too. But Bamboo Island is lovely, too.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
ate beer cheese and bacon fries for breakfast

:Trophy::Hail:

That's embarrassing, LAM, but little ones don't really know much better. When I was a kid, I once asked my brother's friend if he had chicken pox. Turned out he just had acne. Oops.

What makes it so damn funny is that a.) I am very skinny and b.) I've had more people ask me if I'm pregnant in the last 6 months than I have my entire life. I have no idea what's going on. :Shrug:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
People ask me if I have kids all the time. Perhaps I give off a motherly vibe of some sort. If that is the case, I find it very ironic because I haven't an ounce of maternal instinct in me. My usual reaction to kids is to avoid them.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
LAM, are you carrying the anti-Christ? Maybe that's what people can sense.

Hmm.

✔Listens to Satan's music :e2headban
✔Plays them violent video games :troll
✔Wore black lipstick out in public one time ten years ago :e2file:
✔Is a godless heathen:mob

You may be on to something here. :greenie

People ask me if I have kids all the time. Perhaps I give off a motherly vibe of some sort. If that is the case, I find it very ironic because I haven't an ounce of maternal instinct in me. My usual reaction to kids is to avoid them.

The rugrats are always fascinated by the concept of Ms. LAM having a personal life. Whenever they ask if I have kids, I say, "Yeah, I have 18 and they never stop talking!" By crowd reaction, this is one of my better teacher jokes.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never had issues with cucumber before, but you never know when such a thing will start! I'm feeling much better now. Boss gave me some Advil and told me to go home if I needed to, but there's just too much to do right now. My tummy is still a bit woozy, but the rest of me has more energy.

I got an 'advertising opportunity' email that said: "I have recently come across your book Legacy of Luck (Druid's Brooch Series, #3) on Amazon and due to both its quality and plot, it qualifies to be promoted in our community of readers."

Right. It doesn't come out until tomorrow. Tell me again how good the quality of the plot is and how you know???

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
*pounces on Zanz because she's there*

Yeah, sorry, fall was really rough in Zanzland. I've been reading and keeping up but not posting very much.

*leaves coffee and donuts in the Cantina for all*

coffee-donut.gif

Hope everyone under the weather feels better soon!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yeah, they really don't, and there's no filter to their mouths at that age either. Sometimes it's embarrassing, sometimes hilarious. :p Thankfully, the most "embarrassing" thing my first graders have asked me is repeatedly asking me if I'm a teenager. I put "embarrassing" in quotes because it's not actually embarrassing, I just find it funny that quite a few of them, especially the ones without adult siblings or other adult relatives, don't seem to understand the concept of a twenty-something, particularly an unmarried twenty-something. When I tell them I'm not a teenager and I'm not married or a mommy, they tilt their little heads and I can just see their brains churning, trying to figure out this conundrum: "She's clearly not a kid like me, but if she's not a teenager then she's an adult, but my mommy and daddy are adults and she doesn't look as old as them and she said she's not married and not a mommy, but she's not a teenager...????????" LOL

What makes it so damn funny is that a.) I am very skinny and b.) I've had more people ask me if I'm pregnant in the last 6 months than I have my entire life. I have no idea what's going on. :Shrug:
If it bothers you at all, maybe try wearing belts with things? I'm by no means skinny and carry much around my weight around my lower midsection and thighs, and so have to be very conscious about whether or not clothes emphasize my stomach or I really *would* look pregnant and I can be socially awkward as it is without dealing with being asked if I'm pregnant. But I've found belts help a lot because it helps break up my shape and dispel any appearance of roundness. Also, they just look good, IMO. :D

ETA: *exits internet to write* *forgot to ask question* *opens internet again*

Random writing question: Is star ship (starship?) one word or two? Also, is it "The S.S. Enterprise" or "The S. S. Enterprise" or "The SS Enterprise"?

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
When I tell them I'm not a teenager and I'm not married or a mommy, they tilt their little heads and I can just see their brains churning, trying to figure out this conundrum: "She's clearly not a kid like me, but if she's not a teenager then she's an adult, but my mommy and daddy are adults and she doesn't look as old as them and she said she's not married and not a mommy, but she's not a teenager...????????" LOL

Same! :D Not married=not really an adult for a lot of kids. My old class always asked if my co-teacher and I lived together. No? So then did I live at the school?

If it bothers you at all, maybe try wearing belts with things? I'm by no means skinny and carry much around my weight around my lower midsection and thighs, and so have to be very conscious about whether or not clothes emphasize my stomach or I really *would* look pregnant and I can be socially awkward as it is without dealing with being asked if I'm pregnant. But I've found belts help a lot because it helps break up my shape and dispel any appearance of roundness. Also, they just look good, IMO. :D

I usually wear high waisted 50's style things, but yesterday was a (tighter than usual) shirt with a nice cardigan thrown over it because it was Monday and Mondays are death. I think that particular shirt may be retired for domestic use only. :greenie

Random writing question: Is star ship (starship?) one word or two? Also, is it "The S.S. Enterprise" or "The S. S. Enterprise" or "The SS Enterprise"?

One word, I think. Alas, I do not know the answer to the other half of the question.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score

I had to look this up for a story last year, but if I remember correctly, it's usually USS for United States Ship, or United Space Ship, or United Star Ship.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com

I think a lot of kids just think that all adults have kids.

If I'm trying to exit through an aisle and I see a human at the other end, I WILL turn around and flee because I am a rabbit who would rather take the long way round than perform minimal human interaction, apparently. XD

coffee-donut.gif

Mmmmmmm.

Yeah, they really don't, and there's no filter to their mouths at that age either. Sometimes it's embarrassing, sometimes hilarious. :p Thankfully, the most "embarrassing" thing my first graders have asked me is repeatedly asking me if I'm a teenager. I put "embarrassing" in quotes because it's not actually embarrassing, I just find it funny that quite a few of them, especially the ones without adult siblings or other adult relatives, don't seem to understand the concept of a twenty-something, particularly an unmarried twenty-something. When I tell them I'm not a teenager and I'm not married or a mommy, they tilt their little heads and I can just see their brains churning, trying to figure out this conundrum: "She's clearly not a kid like me, but if she's not a teenager then she's an adult, but my mommy and daddy are adults and she doesn't look as old as them and she said she's not married and not a mommy, but she's not a teenager...????????" LOL

Snip

Starship is one word. As to the second question, I think it's one of the first two. I seem to remember seeing ships referred to as "H.M.S. something or other". Definitely some periods in there. Reasonably sure. Pretty sure. Kinda sure.

I could be dead wrong.

I get that sometimes. I'm old enough that people my age often have 5-7 year olds, and they often ask me if I have kids. When I tell them I don't, they look so confused. After all, I dress and look As old As their parents, so I can't be a kid. But all adults have a husband/wife and have kids, don't they?

XD

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Supernatural, too. Like a lot of stuff is filmed here, but it's all Canada pretending to be America. You can figure it out, though, if you know the area they're filming in.

When The Neverending Story came out in 1984 (?) I remember it was supposed to be set in the US, yet the license plates on the cars were Canadian. I also remember a Jackie Chan movie supposedly set in NYC featuring a public hovercraft and impressive mountains that looked suspiciously like Vancouver's in the background.

some netterint searchering has revealed a puppy dog hound creature whom I would like to meet and possibly adopt/rescue for the sake of having more things to do and generally being kind to my fellow fleshies. Here, looksee.

What a cutie! Fox terrier mix?

Owlbears are a Dungeons & Dragons creature, first addition, way back in the late 1970s. The story is Gary Gygax bought a bag of cheap plastic "dinosaurs" that looked nothing at all like dinosaurs to use as monster figures (as D&D evolved from physical hexmap and player pieces gaming) and assigned a new name and characteristics to each one. The owlbear was one of the first of these, so was the rust monster. I've gotta say, over the years, it was very hard for the artists to depict a physically threatening owlbear. They tended to just look goofy.

I've got a cold which is evolving into a head cold, which means I'll have a headache all day. Oh joy!

Boyfriend has decided to sell his sailboat, which is sad, but has promised me 10% for my help in fixing it up. I hope that when times are better he can buy another one.

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
ate beer cheese and bacon fries for breakfast

I need to start having breakfast at your house.

coffee-donut.gif

*takes five donuts, shovels them all into mouth at once*

Mmmm, fanks zanz!

No wonder I can't lose weight. ;-)

I woke up this morning with a sore back, like that part between my shoulder blades. I tried to do a downward-dog (I do a few yoga stretches every morning so I'm not stiff and sore all day) and was in too much pain. As the morning wore on the pain increased and spread out to my neck. Now I have two ThermaCare (or whatever the CVS generic brand is called) stuck to me from my middle back to up and over my shoulder. At least I can move now, though I'm still in a world of pain.

And since when it rains it pours, I also thought that Dragonlet the Younger had pinkeye because, well, he's had a fever since Sunday night and his eye was bloodshot and hurty today. But now he's feeling better. All this while the exterminator was supposed to come between 10 and 12 today because our mouse problem is getting worse instead of better, and it's now 1:45 and the guy still isn't here. Three calls to the company later and they've at least taken some money off the cost of the visit, but still.

*sigh* It's always something. Or many somethings. Or things I think are pinkeye that are really just nothing.

In writing news, I've gotten no words done because it's hard to write when in this much pain and while being home with a sick-not-sick 4 1/2-year old. But I've been obsessing over my novel-in-progress and wondering if maybe it should be a screenplay instead? I'm trying to challenge myself this year, so maybe I need to write a screenplay instead of a novel...hmmm.... Writing is writing, right? ;-)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the replies to my questions, all. Very helpful :)

RD, unless there's a reasonable reason for your back pain that spread to your neck (like soreness from exercise or something), I'd suggest going to the doctor. I am not a doctor but I don't like the sound of it increasing and spreading like that. *gentle hugs*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.