What words trip up your fingers?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
There are words I perpetually typo. Like kidnapping, which my fingers like changing to kindapping. Thomas becomes Thoams (I did that just by typing the name as fast as I could). I can't be alone in this. So what words trip up your fingers? What are the words that you misspell so consistently you've taught autocorrect to fix them for you?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are search and research. Although I can type other E-A-R words right, I always mess up those, typing serach and reserach. How slowly and deliberately I type isn't even a factor.

Maryn, who yes, indeed did mistype those in this post

BarII

Banned
Reaction score
A short one, but I can't remember which. Years ago I consistently spelled lawyer "laywer" until someone pointed it out.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Students magically become studnets when I type.

I also swap the "t" and "i" in my last name regularly, but too be fair, it's a really long-ass last name. My brain's probably getting tired by the end.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
complete and completely. They usually come out as compeltely and compeltl because when I start to type "complete" my fingers automatically want to add on the "ly".

XMissBrightSideX

Socially Awkward Sam
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever this and is appear in the same sentence, one of them disappears. I suspect cannibalism but I lack concrete proof. :ROFL:
I also used to type defiantly in place of definitely way too often for me to comfortably admit. O's & I's occasionally sub for each other apparently too.
Thank god for proof-reading!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I was going to say "definitely". Generally speaking, when there's a word of a significant length (say, 7 or more letters), and the letters are quite close to each other on the keyboard, that's when I'm most likely to make a typo. I make typos all the damn time anyway, but those are the main circumstances in which they happen. (The key to not looking like I make a lot of typos is that I watch the screen while I type, and not the keyboard, so I pick up 99% of typos pretty much instantly, and am a bit of a backspace ninja. :D)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Another common problem I have is when I have to think about the way a word is spelled, but can think about it quickly enough that it doesn't interrupt the flow of my typing. So, like "from" and "form", where 2 or more different words are close in spelling, or else words where I have to think about one particular detail such as "wherever" (there's only 1 "e" where the words "where" and "ever" join, not 2).

In those cases, I'll often make a typo.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Um, does it count if almost every word I type is a typo that needs backspacing before it comes out coherently?

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to type "ratio" without adding an -n to make it "ration"

I also have a problem with typing homophones of the word I intend to write. This morning it was "hear" instead of "here." I don't know why, but sometimes my brain just sends the wrong signals to my fingers.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The spacebar is my nemesis. When I get rolling it wants to jump the line and I do a loto fthis kin dof thing.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
almost every single time I type out mean it comes out mena. I don't know why. My wires crossed once, and it stuck. ARGH!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The spacebar is my nemesis. When I get rolling it wants to jump the line and I do a loto fthis kin dof thing.

almost every single time I type out mean it comes out mena. I don't know why. My wires crossed once, and it stuck. ARGH!

Both of these. Both of them so much.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Really!?!?!?! Is mena a thing? lol

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
"blogpost"

Every time I try to type out a Blogspot web address, it ends up: blahblahblah.blogpost.com

I'm on the lookout for it, but just can't seem to stop doing it!

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Newspaper. I don't even know why, but it gets me every time.

And this, all kinds of this.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
The word "from." As bizarre as it sounds it just comes out as "form" about 75% of the time.

Not at all bizarre, as this one trips me up constantly (probably even higher than 75%). All the more insidious as the spell checker ignores it, forcing me to search for the word "form" in my writing to see if I really meant to use it:Hammer:.