R.I.P. Oliver Sacks

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ii haven 't seen that anyone else has posted it here, but famed neuropsychologist and best-selling author Oliver Sacks has died, age 82. I didn't bother with a link, as the story is widely available on-line. Late in life he began to write informal popular non-fiction about his specialty, and immediately demonstrated a wonderful facility at doing so. His first big seller, I believe, was Awakenings, which was made into an excellent movie starring Robert DeNiro. Sacks was always a little bothered by having the recognition as a best-selling author, but i heard an interview with him a few years ago, and he was affable, informative and seemed comfortable in what he had achieved. He should have been. If you haven't read any of his work (also The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and The Island of the Color-Blind, among others), you've missed something.

caw

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we were all too busy crying. But I'm glad you posted it here. I did love that man.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" when it came out. Fascinating. That got me hooked on him. What a wonderful career he had. RIP and many thanks to him for explaining complexities to simpler folk like me.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
"An Anthropologist on Mars" helped me greatly in understanding my older son and help him dealing with the world through the lens of autism.

He was a great man, and a good man, by all accounts. He lived a good life, and yet he is gone too soon.