Querying to publishers for children's books vs on-demand print

SarahCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Can anyone give me any advice on querying to agents or publishing houses for children's books? Obviously, there is a lot of research into it, but I'm wondering if anyone with an agent can give me some advice on making my product more appealing.

Has anyone on here had success with using an on demand print service such as lulu for children's books? Or their professional services.

I know that these are two very different things and processes, but I am currently researching more opportunities.

Thanks

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
As a note, trade publishers* sometimes use print-on-demand technology, so when you're researching it'll clear the results better if you search for self-publishing options instead.

Children's books are a lot harder to self-publish and sell than other age groups because the kids themselves don't usually buy them. Which isn't to say it's impossible -- an author I really like self-publishes most, if not all, of his children's books, and he's doing pretty well if the sales ranks are any sign.

*people who pay you money to publish your book and publish it well. Also includes independent presses, sometimes, but don't get those confused with "indie" publishing, which is a confusing slang for self-publishing. Beware of a publishing company that calls itself anything else, especially "traditional publisher", "hybrid publisher", and "subsidy publisher."

SarahCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hello, I would like to thank you for your advice. I have also run in to the "hybrid" places, and learned to stay clear of them now. Does the author that you like who self publishes draw his own illustrations? If I choose to self publish my biggest issue would be finding an appropriate illustrator for my work.

SarahCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has successfully published a children's picture book, and if they had a successful query letter that they could post and share here. I have started to query agents and now I am in the "waiting game" I know this takes time, but I would appreciate seeing some picture book related queries if you have any. Thanks

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I have an agent and I got her though the regular querying process. I never researched publish on demand because I knew I didn't want to self-publish. If you go to query tracker you can search for agent who represent children's books.